Could the Xbox One possible catch the PlayStation 4 this holiday season?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Poll Could the Xbox One possible catch the PlayStation 4 this holiday season? (187 votes)

Yes 6%
Highly Likely 3%
Likely 6%
Neutral 7%
Unlikely 9%
Highly Unlikely 16%
No 54%

Judging from previous Halo sales and them being a colossal success, the amount of Xbox abandoners who left the Xbox brand for Sony who might get the itch to come back, a limited edition Halo 5 Xbox One releasing, plus the other blockbuster games releasing for the holidays...

Are these things enough of a carrot for this system to come close to nearing or catching up with the PlayStation 4?

What are your thoughts?

• 
inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@inb4uall said:

Probably. It seems a lot of people are buying xbones on accident.

http://www.cnet.com/news/watch-how-easy-it-is-to-accidentally-order-an-xbox-one-through-your-apple-watch/

Also Best buy has that 360/PS3 trade in deal.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-to-buy-a-new-xbox-one-for-175/1100-6426937/

Between these two it will at least win the april NPD.

Sorry that this is totally unrelated, but I still don't understand why someone would trade in a console with games for a console that doesn't have very many.

Because American consumers, the primary target of the xbone, are freaking idiots.

Prawephet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 Prawephet
Member since 2014 • 385 Posts

@nyadc: Meh. Sony will crush that "perfect storm" with a price cut and widen the gap even further.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#103  Edited By stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

I can't believe some people actually think Xbone can close the gap by 2016. Are you nuts? Do the math.

PS4 is 10-12 million consoles ahead. Sony sells 1.3 milion consoles per month WW. Xbone sells half that amount per month. We got 8 months of the year left. Microsoft would need to sell something insane like 2 milion+ consoles per month from now to then to even have a chance. That is not happening.

Some of you xbox fanboys need to use actual logic. A strong holiday season(2 months) in USA is not going to magically sell 16-20 million xbones to catch up to PS4.

This is VERY wishful thinking. No logic at all.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@stuff238 said:

I can't believe some people actually think Xbone can close the gap by 2016. Are you nuts? Do the math.

PS4 is 10-12 million consoles ahead. Sony sells 1.3 milion consoles per month WW. Xbone sells half that amount per month. We got 8 months of the year left. Microsoft would need to sell something insane like 2 milion+ consoles per month from now to then to even have a chance. That is not happening.

Some of you xbox fanboys need to use actual logic. A strong holiday season(2 months) in USA is not going to magically sell 16-20 million xbones to catch up to PS4.

Halo 5 releases in October before the holiday season, there will be a massive surge in sales from that. Then on Black Friday there will be an even larger surge with people buying up bundles and discounted things left and right that of which Microsoft will undercut Sony so the PlayStation 4 doesn't even look like an option. From there onward until Christmas the console will still continue to dominate not to mention this is not including the other 3 big games releasing in this general period of time and the fact that the Xbox One will have Windows 10 by then which from what has been shown will greatly increase its uses and worth so sales will have increased even before this.

The possibility is there.

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Captainqwark10
Member since 2011 • 1170 Posts

@stereointegrity said:

What is the number of xbox ones sold through as of today?

We don't have numbers, just 14+ million shipped. So 12 at the lowest probably.

@slim70 said:

Very unlikely. A 10 million + sales gap is too large to cover in such a short time. However, I believe that the XBO could catch the PS4 by the end of this gen if MS creates some new IP's and continues to take advantage of their current big exclusives. PS3 did it why not the XBO? Only a PS fanboy would say that it isn't possible.

I think he meant the U.S. which is why he said holiday season (most of the world ignores November)

HOLD IT

Is he actually saying WORLDWIDE the gap would be closed in the holidays? WTF???

Even with the best possible outcome, the NA market alone could do 5 million and maybe a bot over.

From there it may be another 1.2 million at best. That's assuming that Xbox one does a price drop and the PS4 does not or only does a $50 price drop.

Where's the other over 4 million going to come frm? And the PS4 will sell regardless at least 2 million even staying at it's regular price so they would still have to sell that 4 million + another 4 million for this nonsense to work. And that's IF Sony does NOT drop the pirce AT ALL.

I can see the gap going from 10 to 5 at the best WW, closing it because of the holidays?

It may have been slightly possible if the rest of the world outside 3 countries cared about November.

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Captainqwark10

@Krelian-co said:
@FastRobby said:
@Krelian-co said:

lems like to talk about halo as the coming of jesus, just like when disaster chief collection was announced, bestest collection everest!!!!! ps4 is teh doomed!!!!! and it didn't make a dent on the gap between ps4 and xbone.

You didn't see Microsoft winning NPD two months in a row? Stay salty.

yeah xbone won two months in one country because disaster chief, not because it had to cut the price of the console, make deals and give away free games and xblive year memberships.

Still 2 months in one country out of 200 countries in two years? yeah, stay salty lem.

Halo MCC sold over 1 million during that time, and considering a lot of deals left when December started and Xbox sold almost exactly the same as November, a game had to move some sales. But it's not as big as bobby is implying.

@quadknight said:
@nyadc said:

No other exclusive is Halo though, nothing is as big as Halo in terms of exclusive games. A new numbered Halo title will move units, millions, guaranteed with out a shadow of a doubt, always has and it always will.

Now I'm convinced you're either a troll or an idiot.

Well if you remove the Wii as an outlier. :0

@nyadc said:
@Slashkice said:

Halo isn't big enough to bridge a ~10M lead, one that's only going to get bigger in the coming months.

They have 4 big games releasing in a 4 month period, one of them is a game in the most successful exclusive franchise in history while Sony has what exactly? Microsoft doesn't have anything to battle against during the holidays, it's going to be slaughter.

Yeah but World WIDE?????

Here's the thing, and I already said this with the above post. If Microsoft made some kinf of record they would be 5 million From October to the Holidays end in NA alone. Problem is, November is not a buying season in a lot of other countries. So that's still a gap of 5 million. Maybe 2 the highest, you're not at 7 million, and that's if they are able to predict and ship that many consoles. So now the gap is 3 million but here's, the problem, the PS4 is also going to sell.

Even if the PS4 did not drop the price at all, I can say 2 million units of that consoles will be sold, and that will make the gap 5 million. But I doubt sony Won't drop the price, even if Sony still only ships 4 million, that would put the gap at 8 million again. Your logic only works if the PS4's interest either drops and it sells only a million or 2, or the PS4 does not sell at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

Can MS catch up.............sure it can. Sony caught up to MS after having a bad start with the PS3 by listening to what gamers wanted and actually humbling themselves and lowering the price and coming out with great games so it's not out the realm of possibility, but there's no way MS is going to catch up in 1 holiday season, that's just dumb to think.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

I think the XB1 would have to start outselling the PS4 month-to-month now in order for it to have a chance to outsell the PS4 by Q1 2016.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50597 Posts

@nyadc: Bud, there is literally no possibility. Even last year when MS had the best Christmas season, PS4 still sold more WW. There is literally zero chance

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20131 Posts

@Chutebox said:

@nyadc: Bud, there is literally no possibility. Even last year when MS had the best Christmas season, PS4 still sold more WW. There is literally zero chance

This is some @TigerSuperman stuff right here...

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#111 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Nah. The X1 won't beat the PS4 in total units sold in one holiday season. The gap is imply too large.

I'm not saying the X1 won't win this gen, but it would take one hell of a pricecut and/or a crazy good new exclusive IP.

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Captainqwark10

@Chutebox said:

OK put a little too much in that best holiday season part, I'm pretty sure this one will be bigger. However, as i said, even if Xbox one outsold the PS4 by 5 million the PS4 would still at least sell 2.

@Boddicker said:

Nah. The X1 won't beat the PS4 in total units sold in one holiday season. The gap is imply too large.

I'm not saying the X1 won't win this gen, but it would take one hell of a pricecut and/or a crazy good new exclusive IP.

So you believe in magic harry potter?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Chutebox

@Captainqwark10 said:
@Chutebox said:

OK put a little too much in that best holiday season part, I'm pretty sure this one will be bigger. However, as i said, even if Xbox one outsold the PS4 by 5 million the PS4 would still at least sell 2.

@Boddicker said:

I don't mean they had the best ever or anything like that. Just saying the had the best out of the three for last year.

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Captainqwark10

@Chutebox said:
@Captainqwark10 said:
@Chutebox said:

@Boddicker said:

I don't mean they had the best ever or anything like that. Just saying the had the best out of the three for last year.

Only in NA.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

OP is on drugs confirmed.

PS4 has sold through 22.3 million units worldwide: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-30-playstation-4-lifetime-sales-pass-22-3m-worldwide?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

No way Xbone is catching up ever.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#117 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@super600 said:
@stereointegrity said:

Possibly 12-13 million.It isn't selling that badly, but the ps4 is selling at least 2X more than it.

Yup.. and the PS4 is at 22.5, so a 10 million lead. The PS4 is doing pretty much what the Wii did last generation. Did anyone now enjoy playing games on the XBox 360 or PS3 last gen because the Wii was beating them both by more then 10 million units? Nope! Games always more important then sales. At least for a gamer. I still enjoy play my Dreamcast and Gamecube games from time to time.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Chutebox

@Captainqwark10 said:
@Chutebox said:
@Captainqwark10 said:
@Chutebox said:

@Boddicker said:

Only in NA.

Obviously, yes.

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Captainqwark10

@blackace said:
@super600 said:
@stereointegrity said:

Possibly 12-13 million.It isn't selling that badly, but the ps4 is selling at least 2X more than it.

Yup.. and the PS4 is at 22.5, so a 10 million lead. The PS4 is doing pretty much what the Wii did last generation. Did anyone now enjoy playing games on the XBox 360 or PS3 last gen because the Wii was beating them both by more then 10 million units? Nope! Games always more important then sales. At least for a gamer. I still enjoy play my Dreamcast and Gamecube games from time to time.

The 22 is shipped numbers. We have no idea where the Xbox one is.

@Chutebox said:
@Captainqwark10 said:
@Chutebox said:
@Captainqwark10 said:
@Chutebox said:

@Boddicker said:

Only in NA.

Obviously, yes.

Now in that case, i could see the Xbox one catching up, especially if they do over 1.2 million for both months this year.

But of course, PS4 has some tricks up its sleeves along with TP games.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 QuadKnight

@Captainqwark10 said:

Nah, they are actually at 22.3 million sold through now: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-30-playstation-4-lifetime-sales-pass-22-3m-worldwide?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

They shipped 2.4 million and sold through 2.1 million it seems.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Chutebox

@Captainqwark10:

catching up...in NA only? Is that what you're referring to there?

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By NyaDC

Okay let me explain myself a bit better, Microsoft has Windows 10 releasing in July, this will likely hit the Xbox One at the same time or shortly after. With Windows 10 comes that unified ecosystem with all of your other systems, universal apps, DirectX 12, lower system overhead and the ability to stream and play your games on PC.

That right there is already a large carrot on its own and will bring about great things, then we come to Halo 5. Halo 5 is strategically releasing on October 27th for a reason, the absolute have to own gamers will buy it up left and right, it will sell millions plus systems in tow with it, not to mention the limited edition Halo 5 Xbox One which will be releasing. All of those people waiting to get an Xbox One just found their reason and purpose to.

Then we come to Black Friday, the largest shopping day on Earth, this is where people who wanted to wait for a deal will pick up Halo 5 and an Xbox One in some bundle which will be extremely affordable and worth it.

Even after that this does not account for the other 3 exclusives releasing in this time frame plus what has not been announced. The Xbox One appeal for the end of this year will dwarf the PlayStation 4 dramatically, and I really do believe during this time PS4 sales will fall off hard and the Xbox One will pillage the entire last 4 months of the year.

Even with a PS4 price drop which mind you can already be found right now for $350, they have next to nothing for themselves to bring the consumer this year.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#123  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44617 Posts

not likely, I'm sure we won't have to wait to find out, I think E3 should be telling about the future of the Xbox One

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By QuadKnight

@nyadc said:

Okay let me explain myself a bit better, Microsoft has Windows 10 releasing in July, this will likely hit the Xbox One at the same time or shortly after. With Windows 10 comes that unified ecosystem with all of your other systems, universal apps, DirectX 12, lower system overhead and the ability to stream and play your games on PC.

That right there is already a large carrot on its own and will bring about great things, then we come to Halo 5. Halo 5 is strategically releasing on October 27th for a reason, the absolute have to own gamers will buy it up left and right, it will sell millions plus systems in tow with it, not to mention the limited edition Halo 5 Xbox One which will be releasing. All of those people waiting to get an Xbox One just found their reason and purpose to.

Then we come to Black Friday, the largest shopping day on Earth, this is where people who wanted to wait for a deal will pick up Halo 5 and an Xbox One in some bundle which will be extremely affordable and worth it.

Even after that this does not account for the other 3 exclusives releasing in this time frame plus what has not been announced. The Xbox One appeal for the end of this year will dwarf the PlayStation 4 dramatically, and I really do believe during this time PS4 sales will fall off hard and the Xbox One will pillage the entire last 4 months of the year.

Even with a PS4 price drop which mind you can already be found right now for $350, they have next to nothing for themselves to bring the consumer this year.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Chutebox

@quadknight said:
@nyadc said:

Seriously. Dude is not thinking logically.

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Captainqwark10

@Chutebox said:

@Captainqwark10:

yep. possibly.

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Captainqwark10

@quadknight said:
@Captainqwark10 said:

Nah, they are actually at 22.3 million sold through now: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-30-playstation-4-lifetime-sales-pass-22-3m-worldwide?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

No it's shipped. It's from their finaicnail earnings, none of that is sold through.

@nyadc said:

Please show me where you heard of this Halo 5 custom Xbox because I sure haven't.

BF was down last year ad Cyber Monday beat it.

Now we go back and say there will be a "bundle" with Halo 5 and Xbox One and it WILL be affordable. Can I see your insider documents?

Why would the PS4 sales fall off hard? How so? Based on what? It it impossible for Xbox one to outsell the PS4 without it dropping off? No?

The PS4 had the PS4 and the Third Parties to bring in Consumers this year. COD/AC/Farcry/Project Cars/Metal gear/Battlefront etc. will be selling more than everything outside of Halo 5.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Chutebox

@Captainqwark10 said:
@Chutebox said:

@Captainqwark10:

yep. possibly.

Ok, I can agree with that. Good possibility. Was just hoping you weren't referring to WW haha

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@Chutebox said:
@quadknight said:
@nyadc said:

Seriously. Dude is not thinking logically.

LOL so bad.. yeah fuckin windows 10 is going to have people running out to buy xbone lmao wtf

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Captainqwark10

@Chutebox said:
@Captainqwark10 said:
@Chutebox said:

@Captainqwark10:

yep. possibly.

Ok, I can agree with that. Good possibility. Was just hoping you weren't referring to WW haha

No, we already have someone in the thread crazy enough to believe that, lol.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Chutebox

@Captainqwark10 said:
@Chutebox said:
@Captainqwark10 said:
@Chutebox said:

@Captainqwark10:

yep. possibly.

No, we already have someone in the thread crazy enough to believe that, lol.

Haha man, true enough!

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 NyaDC

@Captainqwark10 said:
@quadknight said:
@Captainqwark10 said:

No it's shipped. It's from their finaicnail earnings, none of that is sold through.

@nyadc said:

Please show me where you heard of this Halo 5 custom Xbox because I sure haven't.

BF was down last year ad Cyber Monday beat it.

Now we go back and say there will be a "bundle" with Halo 5 and Xbox One and it WILL be affordable. Can I see your insider documents?

Why would the PS4 sales fall off hard? How so? Based on what? It it impossible for Xbox one to outsell the PS4 without it dropping off? No?

The PS4 had the PS4 and the Third Parties to bring in Consumers this year. COD/AC/Farcry/Project Cars/Metal gear/Battlefront etc. will be selling more than everything outside of Halo 5.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/limited-edition-halo-5-xbox-one-coming-soon-develo/1100-6426907/

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Captainqwark10

Ok that's one line what about the other 4?

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

It's possible

• If Xbone goes to $199 at E3 - (and less than that in the rest of the world
  • If PS4 stays at $399 with no sales at all. Sony and the retailers just let it hang out to dry
  • If a new Minecraft game for Xbone releases that kids around the world want
  • If a WiiBoneU fanboy campaign against PS4 begins
  • If the hermit petition to bring the Sony-owned Bloodborne to PC succeeds
Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

44% of this forum is not living in reality.. What the actual ****?

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 babyjoker1221
Member since 2015 • 1313 Posts

It won't catch the PS4 WW this year. The gap is just too large. It is possible to catch the PS4 by the end of this gen though if the XB1 gets a few must have first party titles though.

vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 vtoshkatur
Member since 2011 • 1962 Posts

I think Microsoft is poised to have a great Holiday season this year, but I also highly doubt it can catch up to the PS4 this year or even this entire generation depending on how long this console cycle lasts. (My guess is the earliest we will see next gen hardware is 2017 but no later then 2019)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

Why does it matter?

The Wii obliterated the 360 and PS3 combined, yet both 360 (mostly) and PS3 were my preferred platforms last gen.

In generation 6, PS2 obliterated both Xbox, GC and DC, yet the last 3 platforms I enjoyed more throughout that generation.

Elpresador-911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Elpresador-911
Member since 2013 • 1096 Posts

OP is TigerSuperman

MetalGearJoel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 MetalGearJoel
Member since 2013 • 190 Posts

Halo 5 won't help fill the gap. The series has been taking a huge dip since Reach. Lems need to give up what little faith they have in the sales race. MS screwed up shipping out an underpowered console trying to push Kinect and they had to abandon it again. The Xbone wouldn't catch the PS4 this year if Sony didn't sell another one.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By QuadKnight

@Shewgenja: Welcome to System Wars, home of delusional fanboys and trolls :)

trollhunter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#142 trollhunter2
Member since 2012 • 2054 Posts

highly unlikely. If the ps4 stops selling for some reason, then it might have very little chance even to catch up this year. A 10 Million gap is too much

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

@stuff238 said:

Yeah, it pretty much impossible.

trollhunter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#144 trollhunter2
Member since 2012 • 2054 Posts

@FastRobby: winning two months in a row is better than winning the competion in 10 months now?

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By QuadKnight

I think it's safe to say TC is on drugs.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#146  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

The TC is a prime example of why lems are the most delusional faction this gen.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I answered yes.

There should be a "You God Damn Better Believe" option.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

The only way X1 will ever catch up to PS4 is if it gets a ton of exclusives. The software libraries are nearly identical but PS4's hardware is better and that's been the difference and will remain the only significant difference unless MS can give itself some kind of edge that it currently doesn't have.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20131 Posts

@elpresador-911 said:

OP is TigerSuperman

It's pretty obvious now...

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By NyaDC

@Wickerman777 said:

The only way X1 will ever catch up to PS4 is if it gets a ton of exclusives. The software libraries are nearly identical but PS4's hardware is better and that's been the difference and will remain the only significant difference unless MS can give itself some kind of edge that it currently doesn't have.

Hence the four games releasing during the holidays including a numbered Halo title, plus the Limited Edition Halo 5 console to the PlayStation 4's ZERO games...

The coming holiday months are as follows, the Xbox One is going to be the girl you can have fun with, the one who wants to go out dancing, drink and actually puts out for you.

The PlayStation 4 is going to be the prudish mormon girl who wants to get to know you, and wants you to wait until the middle of next year before she gives it up...

It isn't rocket science what is going to be the resounding choice for people...