Console sales mean absolutely nothing... You fight for nothing....

• 122 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22787 Posts

Sales only matter if your console is first. Also that pic is horrible.

Zophar87
Haha glad you like! :P
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#102 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

one guys says sales mean nothing and we get a horde of angry cows callimg him an xbot. do cows just get mad at everything people say these days? :lol:

KarateeeChop
Cows are terminally butthurt. Anything that a non Cow says gets them riled up and foaming at the mouth.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 TheEroica  Moderator
[QUOTE="KarateeeChop"]

one guys says sales mean nothing and we get a horde of angry cows callimg him an xbot. do cows just get mad at everything people say these days? :lol:

BPoole96
Cows are terminally butthurt. Anything that a non Cow says gets them riled up and foaming at the mouth.

Quoted for truth... and why? Are we not mature enough to discuss differe....oh yeah we're in system wars :P
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#104 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
[QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"]They mean something and are pretty important. BUT to me, it really doesnt matter much and it really shouldnt be used as a tool for owange/claiming the game is better cuz it sold so many. TheEroica
Of course they are a barometer of market saturation, but do we place way too much emphasis on them?

Absolutely. Neither MS or Sony are going anywhere. The only reason you'd back a particular horse in a console war was to justify your purchase and ensure that it doesn't amount to a system with no 3rd party support. Neither of these things is happening to either system. It doesn't even apply to Nintendo either because they don't seem to have major 3rd party support either way, sales or no sales. Now if we were to compare the 3DS to the Vita..then yeah, sales do kinda make sense as a barometer (or at least they do reflect the general push behind the systems). It's pretty easy really; the system with the greater number of high profile games is going to win. The only problem is defining 'high profile' and games that will sell isn't an exact science.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 TheEroica  Moderator
[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"]They mean something and are pretty important. BUT to me, it really doesnt matter much and it really shouldnt be used as a tool for owange/claiming the game is better cuz it sold so many. Articuno76
Of course they are a barometer of market saturation, but do we place way too much emphasis on them?

Absolutely. Neither MS or Sony are going anywhere. The only reason you'd back a particular horse in a console war was to justify your purchase and ensure that it doesn't amount to a system with no 3rd party support. Neither of these things is happening to either system. It doesn't even apply to Nintendo either because they don't seem to have major 3rd party support either way, sales or no sales. Now if we were to compare the 3DS to the Vita..then yeah, sales do kinda make sense as a barometer (or at least they do reflect the general push behind the systems). It's pretty easy really; the system with the greater number of high profile games is going to win. The only problem is defining 'high profile' and games that will sell isn't an exact science.

I agree with much of what you say, but do we chalk up the wii's success to its ability to cross the traditional perception of what a "video game console" is? it certainly did not have the high profile all around games... though, to your point, that is my own perception and not fact.... damn you getting me in this quagmire!!!
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#106 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

sw stands for nothing really other than devoted fans trying to argue about things that are unnecessary and ridiculous.

does it matter what the company makes or how many hardware it sells....yes but not how sw argues it. the more your console sells and the more software sales the more the console gets support with exclusives. you think mass effect would have come to the ps3 if no one bought a ps3 or no one bought games for the ps3? no. so i wanted the ps3 to do well so i can get more games on the ps3 because i didn't own a 360 until last year. thats why fanboys should care about sales...so the consoles gets more quality content

does it matter that a game library has more a-aaa games? only if you own the game...if not, i can care less that the wonderbook or fable kinect got 10/10 cuz i'm not playing that game

let sw argue the way they want...its all for amusement anyway

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#107 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

It's hard to look at this as anything other than an extended damage control, despite a valid point being made. Hardware sales is tied to active users, adapt rates, consumer confidence (to buy), publisher/developer confidence (to develop for). To mention licensing fee, and use Call of Duty as an example, THEN not mention (timed) exclusivity buyouts also seems like turning a blind eye on the counter-arguments. Additionally, sensitive information like that is not something us typical gamers is privy to than the easily accessible sale figures.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

Through my Roku box, I often watch Inside Gaming Daily, on the Machinima channel. It's pretty informative and thankfully not laced in Dorito's and Mountain Dew (if you catch my drift). Anyway, last week they announced that the PS3 had passed the Xbox in global shipped (as we so famously trolled eachother about), but then, as the clip goes on, host Adam Kovic shotgun blasts fanboys to the face with a rather simplified and logical prioritization of what really matters in the business of video games... my question to you, System Wars... Have we been doing it wrong?

The clip in question... It's short and right to the point, so watch it before you troll :P

Wrong

TheEroica

The Wii was in a very unique situation. A system that sold lots of hardware with no games. That was because it geared toward casuals.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#109 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

"cus the money is in the software people. Third party software to be exact."
True. Yet so very wrong.
What does it mean when the things that matter to the people are completely different from what makes the developers money?
It means your system of delivery and income SUCK. I don't think that this is made to last. Third party development teams will eventually become first party development teams, license fees for console makers will eventually drop, or consoles will eventually raise prises dramatically or disappear.
No, it is always better to have a succesful first party developer over a succesful third party developer for the long term. Going after third party is a mistake MS made this generation and it has put them in a bad position for the coming generation. The trick is of course, that being third party you can make a lot more money. So the first party almost have to be made from the ground up, and their reason would be more creative freedom than AAA companies. So it's a form of self restraint that makes more money in the end. I think Nintendo may be more or less forced to do the wisest thing.
If only they would embrace indie development more than Steam/MS/Sony. They should be less uptight about allowing new people in.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 TheEroica  Moderator

"cus the money is in the software people. Third party software to be exact."
True. Yet so very wrong.
What does it mean when the things that matter to the people are completely different from what makes the developers money?
It means your system of delivery and income SUCK. I don't think that this is made to last. Third party development teams will eventually become first party development teams, license fees for console makers will eventually drop, or consoles will eventually raise prises dramatically or disappear.
No, it is always better to have a succesful first party developer over a succesful third party developer for the long term. Going after third party is a mistake MS made this generation and it has put them in a bad position for the coming generation. The trick is of course, that being third party you can make a lot more money. So the first party almost have to be made from the ground up, and their reason would be more creative freedom than AAA companies. So it's a form of self restraint that makes more money in the end. I think Nintendo may be more or less forced to do the wisest thing.
If only they would embrace indie development more than Steam/MS/Sony. They should be less uptight about allowing new people in.

KungfuKitten
what makes you so sure that 3rd party will eventually become 1st party, especially given the day and age of indy development success?
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#111 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
[QUOTE="KarateeeChop"]

BPoole96

That's probably one of the truest statement ever made on these forums.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#112 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]

Bad sales means less support which means less games which means death.

Floppy_Jim

The Wii has tremendous sales and yet it lacks a lot of support. Didn't you watch the video?

I was speaking generally, the Wii was an anomaly.

Yeah if the Wii was more powerful it would've gotten more support since it had the best sales.

But usually the system with the best sales gets the best support.

jessejay420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 jessejay420
Member since 2011 • 4091 Posts

Holy sh!t that xray is brutal. I do not want to see what that actually looks like.

the_bi99man
i wonder what happened to his hand? if i had to guess,i would say its the hand of a person who was caught cheating at a high stakes poker game.. A sledgehammer fixed his cheating. :?
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 TheEroica  Moderator
[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

Holy sh!t that xray is brutal. I do not want to see what that actually looks like.

jessejay420
i wonder what happened to his hand? if i had to guess,i would say its the hand of a person who was caught cheating at a high stakes poker game.. A sledgehammer fixed his cheating. :?

I was thinking maybe a table saw incident. That hand looks cut to me.... oooh maybe like when a worker gets his hand chewed through an industrial machine.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#115 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="jessejay420"]i wonder what happened to his hand? if i had to guess,i would say its the hand of a person who was caught cheating at a high stakes poker game.. A sledgehammer fixed his cheating. :?TheEroica
I was thinking maybe a table saw incident. That hand looks cut to me.... oooh maybe like when a worker gets his hand chewed through an industrial machine.

Yes! Lets bring this conversation back. Here's those other ones from the second page. DISCUSS THE DISGUSTING!

Edit: Too bad! Looks like rjdofu's pics violated the imageshack TOS, so the links are dead now. Anyone got more? :P

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 TheEroica  Moderator

[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="jessejay420"]i wonder what happened to his hand? if i had to guess,i would say its the hand of a person who was caught cheating at a high stakes poker game.. A sledgehammer fixed his cheating. :?the_bi99man

Yes! Lets bring this conversation back. Here's those other ones from the second page. DISCUSS THE DISGUSTING!

Edit: Too bad! Looks like rjdofu's pics violated the imageshack TOS, so the links are dead now. Anyone got more? :P

Shoo!!! Shoo I say!!! And take your sicko picks wiyh you!!! :P
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
[QUOTE="jessejay420"][QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

TheEroica

Naw that damaged hand pic is probably just some PS3 user that had a bottle of hand lotion, CD playing Lets get it on by Marvin Gaye, lights dimmed, and a pic of Kaz Hirai holding a PS3. That poor hand never stood a chance.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#118 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="TheEroica"] I was thinking maybe a table saw incident. That hand looks cut to me.... oooh maybe like when a worker gets his hand chewed through an industrial machine.TheEroica

But... finger tendons...

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 TheEroica  Moderator
[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"][QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="jessejay420"] i wonder what happened to his hand? if i had to guess,i would say its the hand of a person who was caught cheating at a high stakes poker game.. A sledgehammer fixed his cheating. :?

Naw that damaged hand pic is probably just some PS3 user that had a bottle of hand lotion, CD playing Lets get it on by Marvin Gaye, lights dimmed, and a pic of Kaz Hirai holding a PS3. That poor hand never stood a chance.

ding ding ding... and we have a winner... :lol:
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 TheEroica  Moderator

[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

the_bi99man

But... finger tendons...

cat

"cuteCaptions.com" :lol: huh?!?!

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#121 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

Tons of people know this. We simply compare sales for the sake of simplicity.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

The Wii proved sales don't mean anything other than showing that a Console won't dissapear. Other then that, they're irrelevant. The Wii sold amazingly well and all we got mostly was minigame collections and younger audience focused games. There were a few great gems there like No More Heroes, Muramasa, Monster Hunter, etc. But sales just made more casual stuff appear.