SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45115 Posts

This video talks about Sony’s past success, but brings up the current challenges of the market such as Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision, emerging new tech (cloud gaming), and Nintendo’s success with the Switch and just portable gaming in general. What do you think, SW? Will we eventually see PlayStation be a number 2 or 3 in the console space? I think the Switch 2 could be massively successful, but PlayStation still has a very strong IP portfolio that will never be on the Switch. It will be interesting to see.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#2  Edited By adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2565 Posts

I'm quite optimistic now that Jim Ryan has gone.

LAtech84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LAtech84
Member since 2017 • 643 Posts

Are we talking about console sales here when we say remaining on top? Because there are other ways they are not on top.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

If they release everything on pc, zero chance.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

I think 8th gen secured Sony a lot of comfort room, the PS console may not have tons to attract new gamers to it but with access to people's PS4 libraries, their PS Plus titles, it's going to be people's default console unless they hit a point where future designs nullify that. Maybe more so now with people having their digital rights tied to the console ecosystems.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22685 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Microsoft does it.... It's a bold pro gamer move, why wouldn't Sony? No stones?

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3056 Posts

PlayStation (the others as well) has never meant as little to me as it does right now. Getting rid of Jim Ryan, and dialing back on their gaas nonsense is interesting, but they have a lot of work to do before they get me back.

Here's some more good news.

https://www.dualshockers.com/playstation-players-sick-of-library-wiping-bug/

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8068 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

[...]

Will we eventually see PlayStation be a number 2 or 3 in the console space?

[...]

no.. not, a chance at this point..

but gaming exists beyond consoles.. true ecosystem growth is beyond limiting your games to a $400~$500 box under a television..

and if Sony/PlayStation keeps dragging their feet long enough, Xbox could indeed become the market leader in overall gaming by comparison to PlayStation and Nintendo..

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hardwenzen

@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:

Gamer move, but also look at how worthless the Xbox has been for almost a decade.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6048 Posts

@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:

Let's be honest, none of these companies care about consumers, they do what they do to maximise profits. MS never put its games on PC because it was a pro gamer move. That's a side effect of poor console sales.

If Sony were smart, they would just keep their games on their console. By going the way MS has they will just devalue their console and eventually just drive gamers towards PC.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheEroica  Moderator

@last_lap said:
@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:

Let's be honest, none of these companies care about consumers, they do what they do to maximise profits. MS never put its games on PC because it was a pro gamer move. That's a side effect of poor console sales.

If Sony were smart, they would just keep their games on their console. By going the way MS has they will just devalue their console and eventually just drive gamers towards PC.

I don't disagree that microsoft's motives are monetary, but all business is. In this case their decision to release on more available platforms leads to more options for more gamers. There are no white knights, that's just silly.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
@hardwenzen said:
@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:

Gamer move, but also look at how worthless the Xbox has been for almost a decade.

Sony can't afford many more 300 million dollar meh games tho.... Rock, meet hard place.

Also, they paid a company millions to keep a multiplat series off another console in hopes that what? Those Xbox gamers would go buy a PS5? Ugh... Just let me pay square for the game if I want it. Would be happy for Sony to stay out of it.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hardwenzen

@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:
@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:

Sony can't afford many more 300 million dollar meh games tho.... Rock, meet hard place.

And do you think that they will afford them when significantly less people buy their systems, peripherals and sub to PS+ because all their titles are on pc? The issue with affordability comes from the games being bad, not that its not available on other platforms. And when a company thinks that releasing 12 live service games is a smart move, you know damn well that something is dead wrong with them, so it ain't surprising that their latest games like Spiderman2 is trash.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#14  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17809 Posts

Watch at 0:50 and the news anchor calls it "Xbox Series Ten" instead of X. You gotta love clueless non-gamers. LOL

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56109 Posts

@last_lap said:
@TheEroica said:

The rise in cost has pushed Sony to port their games on PC as it's clear exclusives on a single console aren't enough these days is why Sony & MS is doing it.

Nintendo on the other rarely overbudgets their cost development and it's why they aren't going the PC route as both Sony & MS are doing now.

I wouldn't worry about gamers devaluing to PC since there are gamers who still don't like gaming on PC and prefer consoles/physical after all.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Last_Lap

@TheEroica: The problem with releasing your games on platforms other than your own is you diminish your own platform and show those who do purchase your hardware that you don't matter. You push your customers to other consoles/PC.

MS has proven this with their "strategy" and now are releasing games on PS/Switch which will further devalue the Xbox brand. You trying to say it's better for consumers, well it's better for the consumers of PC and that's it, let's not pretend otherwise.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

@TheEroica: The problem with releasing your games on platforms other than your own is you diminish your own platform and show those who do purchase your hardware that you don't matter. You push your customers to other consoles/PC.

MS has proven this with their "strategy" and now are releasing games on PS/Switch which will further devalue the Xbox brand. You trying to say it's better for consumers, well it's better for the consumers of PC and that's it, let's not pretend otherwise.

Yes, the Aussie gets it, and i can even sense a lot of frustration in his paragraph.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

Yes, the Aussie gets it, and i can even sense a lot of frustration in his paragraph.

I sense, no smell BS from you as usual.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hardwenzen
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

I can't smell bull's shit because i am not a bull, sorry.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

Exactly you can't smell you own BS, that's the whole point.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

Exactly you can't smell you own BS, that's the whole point.

I can't smell BS because i don't have any.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3056 Posts

Good Christ , you two, 🤣😂

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: refer to my last comment.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: refer to my last comment.

This is you in DD2 btw

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen:

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1250 Posts

sony top?😂🤣

Mass lay offs across studio's

CEO confirming the need to bring games to other platforms and in doing so,copying the opposition they are supposed to be ahead of.

Begging the opposition for games.

Bigger franchises,more studio's and games on the opposition's platform.

And no first party for years and a non existent gaming road map.

Being on top apparently?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12958 Posts

With PS losing to the Switch this gen, will the PS ever be in first against?

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17819 Posts

In terms of console sales? Sure.

The value of that though is becoming more debatable. It has become very clear that no one console is big enough to support the production budget of modern AAA games though. MS can't do it, Sony can't do it and Nintendo don't spend that kind of money on their games.

Although Sony could slash their budgets to something more affordable: They have historically sold themselves on visual fidelity and tech and production values. That inherently comes with high costs.

So what about services? Well surprisingly yes: They can very much win. For all the noise MS make about gamepass, it's not the most popular service. Last numbers, i think, were around 32-ish million subs for gamepass. PSN Plus has 45-ish million. PSN isn't even available on anything outside the PS console too. If they brought it to the PC and other platforms (and there are rumours) then they could very well be even more the market leader in that area.

So streaming tech then.....going to struggle there? Maybe MS can steal a march (Nintendo have shown no interest in it so far: Thank god). No....Sony are also looking strong there. Their tech works quite well according to DFs latest.

So concerns of MSs purchases.....remains to be seen. So far early output has been disappointing though. Arkane have misfired, Bethesda have misfired, Activision seems to be a bit of a bloated zombie (in the process of correcting.....will be painful). But, on paper, it's a very strong roster of IP MS have now. But it remains to be seen.

Sony are in a very strong place though. Of the 3, they are in the strongest position at the moment. The biggest issue is the cost of production issue and managing releases of their games on other platforms while maintaining the value of the PS console. But it's not the worst place to be for them. Strong hardware sales, Strong software sales (first and 3rd party), good service sub numbers. There is nothing too alarming on the PS front at the moment.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10615 Posts

@saint-george said:

sony top?😂🤣

CEO confirming the need to bring games to other platforms and in doing so,copying the opposition they are supposed to be ahead of.

Being on top apparently?

Nice damage control.

Your confidence is as believable as Kinect’s future in 2013.

🤣🤣🤣

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Last_Lap

@ermacness: Or maybe like PSVR2's future in 2024 🤣

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5251 Posts

@BassMan said:

Watch at 0:50 and the news anchor calls it "Xbox Series Ten" instead of X. You gotta love clueless non-gamers. LOL

The "X" can be a letter or the Roman numeral for ten so the cluelessness is understandable.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#32 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17809 Posts

@onesiphorus said:
@BassMan said:

The "X" can be a letter or the Roman numeral for ten so the cluelessness is understandable.

Well, it is called an X Box and not a Ten Box. So, by that logic, he should have clued in that the X at the end was not a roman numeral for 10. But yeah, it is funny seeing how clueless people can be.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1250 Posts

@ermacness said:
@saint-george said:

sony top?😂🤣

Being on top apparently?

Nice damage control.

Your confidence is as believable as Kinect’s future in 2013.

🤣🤣🤣

St George is Right..
St George is Right..

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

Think it will take a lot to overcome the switch and switch 2 it's mad to me switch is still selling like crazy in Japan.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ermacness

@last_lap said:

@ermacness: Or maybe like PSVR2's future in 2024 🤣

At least the psvr2 didn’t kill a console before the race started.

Your move.

✌️

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Last_Lap

@ermacness: Kinect killed the Xbox 360, how does that work?

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ermacness

@last_lap said:

@ermacness: Kinect killed the Xbox 360, how does that work?

Stop it.

You know good and well that Kinect launched with the x1.

Stop acting brand new.

🤦‍♀️

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61486 Posts

@ermacness said:

Stop it.

Stop acting brand new.

🤦‍♀️

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but the Kinect released in 2010.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#39  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69484 Posts

It is that time folks to rewrite history.👏🏽 Take a spin

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Last_Lap

@ermacness: You might wanna check on your gaming history.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KvallyX

@last_lap said:

Facts are not his strong suit.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34613 Posts

@BassMan said:

To be fair though, it's a terrible name. I like that it's so terrible that people say it wrong. Might improve MS's next naming attempt.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KvallyX

@Litchie said:

Might improve MS's next naming attempt.

The last time they properly named the Xbox was the OG Xbox. Xbox. They never will name it properly.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7166 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:

thats because of the games. if they released AAA games like ps5 did then xbox would not be worthless.

its always been the games. not specs, not power.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Gifford38
@last_lap said:

xbox one failed at launch because they was pushing the new kinect. reason it was 100 more than the ps4.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Gifford38
@lundy86_4 said:
@ermacness said:

Stop it.

Stop acting brand new.

🤦‍♀️

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but the Kinect released in 2010.

kinect came out on 360 but was pushed on xbox one at launch making it 100 bucks more than ps4.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By KvallyX

@gifford38 said:

thats because of the games. if they released AAA games like ps5 did then xbox would not be worthless.

Xbox releases more AAA games than PS5, so that isn't it. And their scores via metacritic are the same average. TRY AGAIN!

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Gifford38

@kvallyx said:
@gifford38 said:

Xbox releases more AAA games than PS5, so that isn't it. And their scores via metacritic are the same average. TRY AGAIN!

lmao just stop. most of xbox AAA are on ps5. halo and 2 forza games are not saving xbox.

nothing like gow2,hfw2,ratchet and clank,demon souls remake and more.

on top of ps4 to ps5 games.

ps4/ps5 AAA games>>>>>>>>>>xbox one/series x games.

on top of third party exclusive AAA games.

not even close when you factor in games available to play for each console.

its always the games. how else would ps5 selling 4 to 1?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 KvallyX

@gifford38 said:
@kvallyx said:

lmao just stop. most of xbox AAA are on ps5. halo and 2 forza games are not saving xbox.

I have seen a post full of lies before, but this^ post of lies takes the cake 🎂😂 You realize that Xbox One/Xbox Series AAA games >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PS4/PS5 games right? Oh wait, PS has no games 😂

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#50  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69484 Posts

@gifford38 said:

That is a lot of PC games.🤭