madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

In a reply to a tweet asking about a refund for people who bought Lawbreakers, Cliff Bleszinski, of Gears of War fame, seemed to have confirmed that he has quit game development for good:

Obviously, the conversation is slightly heated and meltdown-y. Still, it looks like we won't be seeing another game from him for quite some time, if ever.

I don't really have an opinion on this, since I've only played Gears of War 1 a long, long time ago, and thought it was alright. What do you guys think? Sad? Happy? Apathetic? Something else?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58961 Posts

He should tell them to piss off.

That's entitlement to the max.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46288 Posts

Just a shame he left Epic to work on games that were almost exactly like Epic games but not quite.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

That makes me sad. The gears of War games were awesome and I thought Lawbreakers looked very cool. Hopefully this was just an in the heat of the moment reaction. I’d really love to see him get back into gaming in some fashion.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

It's not that I don't sympathize with the customers, but I'm with him on this.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56103 Posts

Cliff Bleszinski, he let his big ego get the better of him and he's paying the price cause he shit all over Xbox fans for some strange reasons, Cliff was well known and had lots of fans on Xbox since he made huge with Gear of War during his run with Epic. LawBreakers flop so badly, he made poor mistakes, the game failed partly because he could never convince people it wasn't an Overwatch clone. LawBreakers was sure a wake up call for Cliff alright. I'm surprise the man doesn't want to go back to Epic.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

After lawbreakers I'm not surprised.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kuu2  Online
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

Who cares what this narcissist says.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

Well, he's pretty good at making games, so hearing he'll never do more isn't very cool. Even Lawbreakers looked fun, but I never saw a reason to buy it since no one played it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebd39d683340
deactivated-5ebd39d683340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 deactivated-5ebd39d683340
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

I am sure if he is ever in need of money he can get a good job position at Microsoft Studios. In fact, M$ needs Cliff's wild sense of direction now. The man innovates and has intuitive gameplay designs. Pair him up with a couple of good designers and writers and it's a success story I am sure. The man needs a break at the moment from the looks of it.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

The American healthcare system is in shambles.

God Emporer Trump is correct, republicans must fix it. Single Player will doom us all.

kenshiro3948

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kenshiro3948
Member since 2018 • 406 Posts

Good. I never liked his games.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

No big loss. He's kind of a one hit wonder, and Gears of War wasn't even that great. It was basically just a tech demo. He's also a huge douchebag.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

I would like to see him make something new and inspired. But he has clearly proven he has no business or idea how to run a studio.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20104 Posts

@madrocketeer: *wasted

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#16 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

So long then.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

He deserves any bad feelings he gets.

Guys a dick and a troll.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

like one twitter user said, Sometimes you take an L when you buy a game.

these entitled gamers need to get over it.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bigfootpart2
@that_old_guy said:

Guys a dick and a troll.

He crapped all over PC gamers. Basically accused them all of being thieves. Then tried to come crawling back after the Xbone flopped hard and PC gaming got massively successful with Steam and other similar services. He's a huge douche. He basically burned his bridges with PC gamers, even though they were the ones who gave him his start with the Unreal games back in the 90s.

Avatar image for eyeboonseyebrow
EyeBoonsEyebrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 EyeBoonsEyebrow
Member since 2018 • 280 Posts

Lmao. Nobody is giving this man money to make a game so he has no choice but to retire.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

@bigfootpart2 said:
@that_old_guy said:

Guys a dick and a troll.

He crapped all over PC gamers. Basically accused them all of being thieves. Then tried to come crawling back after the Xbone flopped hard and PC gaming got massively successful with Steam and other similar services. He's a huge douche. He basically burned his bridges with PC gamers, even though they were the ones who gave him his start with the Unreal games back in the 90s.

Everything you said was why I think he’s a dick and a troll.

There was no reason for him to tweet his troll shit at PC gamers.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

I'll always appreciate what he did with the Gears franchise... best of luck to him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

Everything happens for a reason.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3138 Posts

@bigfootpart2 said:

No big loss. He's kind of a one hit wonder, and Gears of War wasn't even that great. It was basically just a tech demo. He's also a huge douchebag.

A one-hit wonder...with three hits, two of which classify as massive?

Since Cliff's tweet was posted, here's the best reply to it...

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@Litchie said:

Well, he's pretty good at making games, so hearing he'll never do more isn't very cool. Even Lawbreakers looked fun, but I never saw a reason to buy it since no one played it.

The guy created a couple of legendary franchises (Unreal and Gears), but it's been awhile since he's done something that didn't seem derivative, and I always felt Gears was incredibly overrated (though you can't argue with the sales success it had).

Sounds to me he's just a bit butthurt his new studio wasn't successful. Businesses fail all the time. But it's still surely a bitter pill when you've been behind some huge selling games and then basically see failure for the 1st time in a long time. Also probably the 1st time he had his own invested dollars at stake since I guess he was an "employee" at Epic.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bigfootpart2
@zmanbarzel said:
@bigfootpart2 said:

A one-hit wonder...with three hits, two of which classify as massive?

Since Cliff's tweet was posted, here's the best reply to it...

The Gears sequels were terrible though. Sold well sure, but they sucked.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#27  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@zmanbarzel: He created ? If i recall Gears was made by a studio which he was merely a part of , so considering his own studio folded i think it´s safe to say that he did not really create anything that was a hit ever.

But good for him, it looks like he did better as a team member than as a team leader so at least he is now aware of that and can apply for a normal job and not try to create games on his own.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@eyeboonseyebrow said:

Lmao. Nobody is giving this man money to make a game so he has no choice but to retire.

I mean... I'm sure any number of studios would probably hire him as their lead designer on a major AAA title. Although it's possible "personality" comes into play and some studios probably stay away, his resume should afford him an opportunity somewhere.

His original beef apparently was that Epic wasn't listening to the new games he was pitching...but if those are the games he ended up making at Boss Key then in retrospect Cliffy B probably should have just accepted that those pitches might not have been as good as he though they were.

That being said, I'm sure it is frustrating to see rubbish games getting huge sales either on marketing hype or because they are a freakish fad (Fortnite), and then his game barely gets 7500 player base even when it's free. Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to why a game catches on. Of course, I always felt that way about Gears...and he enjoyed those huge sales I'm sure. He's seen both sides of it.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Guy is a wanker. Good riddance I say.

No loss to gaming at all.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

"Cliffy B" is, simultaneously, someone I can totally sympathize with as a person, but at the same time dislike as a developer.

I partially blame him for turning AAA gaming into what it is today (hint: it's bad). But, at the same time, he speaks a lot of truth and I can get on board with that.

Kudos to him for supporting his employees, but I don't think his absence will be noticed. With that said, wouldn't mind if he got together with some other people and tried a game that isn't a shooter made for bros.

@2Chalupas said:
@Litchie said:

The guy created a couple of legendary franchises (Unreal and Gears), but it's been awhile since he's done something that didn't seem derivative, and I always felt Gears was incredibly overrated (though you can't argue with the sales success it had).

Sounds to me he's just a bit butthurt his new studio wasn't successful. Businesses fail all the time. But it's still surely a bitter pill when you've been behind some huge selling games and then basically see failure for the 1st time in a long time. Also probably the 1st time he had his own invested dollars at stake since I guess he was an "employee" at Epic.

He looks young for his age but the guy has been developing games longer than most people on here have been playing them. It can't be easy to be a "creative" type and establish these two amazing franchises, then to A.) see them turn into something lame, and B.) not be able to come up with another hit.

A tragedy, really.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Ok, great

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

Never been a fan of Clifford B and he really did shoot himself in the foot with Lawbreakers. No matter if the game was good or not, not making it F2P when it isn't from an already established brand and is multiplayer only was never going to work.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11090 Posts

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#34 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
Loading Video...

This is for Joshua Heitz.

After I paid to see Ghost Rider I went to the ticket booth and said, "I want my money back because that movie sucked rotten eggs". But I'm not entitled to a refund because my money spent pays for an experience. Whether it was positive or negative matters not because I did experience that piece of smegmatic film.

You paid to experience Lawbreakers, you got to experience Lawbreakers. You are not entitled to a refund.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

Seems he’s not so upset at game development as much as he is the ignorance, toxicity, and intolerance of the gaming community. Though I’d think that would be present in any professional endeavor, but I suppose when you create something that someone enjoys they think you owe them or are entitled to something. I could understand how he’d want to distance himself a million miles away from that life. I’d be surprised if he didn’t hold any interest in gaming whatsoever.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

Thank goodness.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

He's clearly fed up with the world. It's ok. Getting exposed to the internet like that can be overwhelmingly emotional. I think Cliff owes himself a vacation.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Seems he’s not so upset at game development as much as he is the ignorance, toxicity, and intolerance of the gaming community. Though I’d think that would be present in any professional endeavor, but I suppose when you create something that someone enjoys they think you owe them or are entitled to something. I could understand how he’d want to distance himself a million miles away from that life. I’d be surprised if he didn’t hold any interest in gaming whatsoever.

Except that's people. Not gamers specifically. People behave like that in sports, complaint sections of grocery stores, any tech forum, etc. I hope he doesn't think that gamers specifically form a problem, because that would be a little silly, since so many (kinds of) people play games these days. Heck this year people are even yelling at each other, categorizing each other to hurt each other and call each other names over something like a national festivity. I literally have to deal with that right now.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46288 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

That makes me sad. The gears of War games were awesome and I thought Lawbreakers looked very cool. Hopefully this was just an in the heat of the moment reaction. I’d really love to see him get back into gaming in some fashion.

He has said it multiple times now.

I'm not sure why he left Epic, but creating his own studio and games wasn't a really positive experience for him.

Just like the tweet reads: he earned absolutely no money, and people are still pissed off at him for losing around 20 bucks, but he lost way more ...

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#40 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Good luck to him.

Also wasted*

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Dasein808
Member since 2008 • 839 Posts

Lawbreakers failed due to a shitty advertising campaign + small minded millenial gamers/risk of a new franchise & stupidly fickle consolites, nevermind their inherent aversion to humanity.

Millenials have weakness in spades.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#42 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

Gears of War was overrated anyway. Microsoft never had good exclusives, they only had Bioshock Mass Effect Dead Rising which ended up going to playstation LOL. Today they have nothing. This guy is better working at burger king anyway.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts
@Dasein808 said:

Lawbreakers failed due to a shitty advertising campaign + small minded millenial gamers/risk of a new franchise & stupidly fickle consolites, nevermind their inherent aversion to humanity.

Millenials have weakness in spades.

What?

Coming from this ageing forum that hates all new genres like MOBAS/Battle Royals and constantly asks for the same SP experiences over and over again?

Where did you even pluck that from.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Sucks that a failure has to hang on him like scarlet letter, but when you market yourself as a celebrity for making a videogame, there’s a price for the fame. This is it.

Death Stranding better be the best freaking game ever or Kojima, you’re next.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

And nothing of importance was lost that day.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#47 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Im indifferent. On the one hand im glad this twat is gone, on the other hand it does warm my heart to see hes still around, spitting out his dummy on social media again.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#48  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58961 Posts

@kuu2 said:

Who cares what this narcissist says.

Sir Cliffy definitely gave vibes of walking on water. Sometimes a good kick up the arse is what we need.

He seems to be getting alot of hate here, but he deserves respect for walking away from the "big" industry and trying to get back to his roots, however misguided it was.

Unlike Peter Molyneux, Cliff Bleszinski didn't waste the consumers money with false advertising, he delivered exactly what he said he going to - to a fault.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#49 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Just make the damn game F2P. I'm sure it would get some return. I would play it on PS4 if it was F2P

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Tit for tat I guess. He always treated his fanbase like dirt and now he's quitting after a meltdown.