Capcom didn't want to make Dead Rising or Lost Planet...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

osusfaith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 osusfaith
Member since 2006 • 7398 Posts
 http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3157081

Interesting read.  Looks like the gamble paid off for em in spades.  Way to take a risk n reap the rewards capcom!
hazbazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 hazbazz
Member since 2005 • 7709 Posts
No, they didnt want to make it, they were forced at gunpoint
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
No, they didnt want to make it, they were forced at gunpointhazbazz
Gimme all your gameplay! All your zombies are belong to me! Find the Lost Planet, now, and release it!
wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wavebrid
Member since 2006 • 8204 Posts

they made it still

mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 mythrol
Member since 2005 • 5237 Posts

Interesting read. Looks like the gamble paid off for em in spades. Way to take a risk n reap the rewards capcom!
osusfaith
Capcom taking the jump on the 360 was a big turning point for Japanese developers, as well as the success of both games. Yes it was a huge risk on Capcom's part and I appluad the man for being so honest about it. But it paid off, and I'm glad this will no doubt spur Capcom on with development of more 360 games.
spidey008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 spidey008
Member since 2002 • 2309 Posts
I am glad that Capcom took that risk.  Both of these games are excellent IMO.
-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -Spock-
Member since 2006 • 7072 Posts
I guess Metal Gear Solid 4 will be stunning then.
osusfaith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 osusfaith
No need for the snarky replies guys. Read the article. The management at Capcom was opposed to the games being made, to the near-point of cancellation. Kenji really had to convince em, and I'm glad he did
jvonrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 jvonrader
Member since 2006 • 2183 Posts

They weren't forced at gunpoint - the article says that Inafune wanted the games, took them to the people-with-the-money and the people-with-the-money didn't like taking a risk on A)original IPs, B)costly next-gen game development, or C)the Xbox 360, being a Japanese company.

And it paid off for them in a big way to take that risk.  Which is precisely what should have happened.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
No need for the snarky replies guys. Read the article. The management at Capcom was opposed to the games being made, to the near-point of cancellation. Kenji really had to convince em, and I'm glad he didosusfaith
I read it. They almost tabled the games. Never played either, but I heard the gameplay in Lost Planet was boring... but that Dead Rising was fantastic. I looked up Snark - made up creature! HAHA. Didn't know that. Snarky - irritable, short, etc.
osusfaith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 osusfaith
[QUOTE="osusfaith"]No need for the snarky replies guys. Read the article. The management at Capcom was opposed to the games being made, to the near-point of cancellation. Kenji really had to convince em, and I'm glad he didJandurin
I read it. They almost tabled the games. Never played either, but I heard the gameplay in Lost Planet was boring... but that Dead Rising was fantastic. I looked up Snark - made up creature! HAHA. Didn't know that. Snarky - irritable, short, etc.

I loved Lost Planet's gameplay. Very old-school arcady fun. Reminded me of a simpler time of action games
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts
nice.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
[QUOTE="osusfaith"] I loved Lost Planet's gameplay. Very old-school arcady fun. Reminded me of a simpler time of action games

I didn't play it. My friend with a 360 (that's funny, the only friend I have with a 360, now that I think about it) was playing it when I called him. That's what he told me.
osusfaith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 osusfaith
[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="osusfaith"] I loved Lost Planet's gameplay. Very old-school arcady fun. Reminded me of a simpler time of action games

I didn't play it. My friend with a 360 (that's funny, the only friend I have with a 360, now that I think about it) was playing it when I called him. That's what he told me.

Oh well I'm not saying my opinion should be the opinion of everyone. I was just stating I enjoyed it a lot.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Interesting read.  Looks like the gamble paid off for em in spades.  Way to take a risk n reap the rewards capcom!
osusfaith

It was a huge risk because the Xbox & XBox360 weren't going to sell well in Japan, but they keep forgetting about the US & UK markets. We love these type of games and it shows in the profits Capcom has made from these titles. I'm happy they made these games and look forward to other new IP from Capcom.

osusfaith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 osusfaith

[QUOTE="osusfaith"] http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3157081

Interesting read. Looks like the gamble paid off for em in spades. Way to take a risk n reap the rewards capcom!
blackace

It was a huge risk because the Xbox & XBox360 weren't going to sell well in Japan, but they keep forgetting about the US & UK markets. We love these type of games and it shows in the profits Capcom has made from these titles. I'm happy they made these games and look forward to other new IP from Capcom.

Plus, who knew the creator of megaman still had it in him?
Avatar image for XboxUnderground
XboxUnderground

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 XboxUnderground
Member since 2003 • 20965 Posts
who would have guessed they would both be million sellers
Superdude687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Superdude687
Member since 2003 • 2087 Posts
Inafune is a GOD, now I just need Megaman 9
OfficialJab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 OfficialJab
Member since 2005 • 3249 Posts
" ...but Inafune promises these are not the last of the "risky" ventures we'll see from Capcom."
Link

Spacemen shooting huge bugs and a dude killing thousands of zombies are 'risky ventures'? Who wouldn't buy them? Espescially among lemmings. Okami was risky, why wasn't that in Capcom's article instead? Veiwtiful Joe? Those were riskier (not as much of the latter, but still compared to the other two). A good read nonetheless, but I have trouble believing they really didn't think those would interest people.
nanomecha4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nanomecha4
Member since 2007 • 458 Posts

osusfaith
Theyre losing a lot of money on Lost Planet. It cost them 20 Million.
Superdude687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Superdude687
Member since 2003 • 2087 Posts
Hell Capcom can make all the new IPs they want. If they are great I'll buy em.
dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dhjohns
Member since 2003 • 5105 Posts

nanomecha4

The fanboy makes an apperance and has to do two things 1) make up a fact 2) trash the 360. The more I read your posts, I am convinced you are cocodisilva, then bluray wins and nanomecha4. Quite pathetic.
osusfaith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 osusfaith

nanomecha4

No they're not. And you just killed a kitten with that lie. Reported yet again
dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dsmccracken
Member since 2003 • 7307 Posts
I am glad that Capcom took that risk.  Both of these games are excellent IMO.spidey008
I like Dead Rising alot, but I don't get what the fuss is about Lost Planet.
dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dsmccracken
Member since 2003 • 7307 Posts
[QUOTE="nanomecha4"][QUOTE="osusfaith"] http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3157081

dhjohns

The fanboy makes an apperance and has to do two things 1) make up a fact 2) trash the 360. The more I read your posts, I am convinced you are cocodisilva, then bluray wins and nanomecha4. Quite pathetic.

Quite a few others besides, and something else next week.
jvonrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jvonrader

Yeah, if they keep making new IPs of this quality, I'm sold.

Neither game was perfect - the save system in Dead Rising was horrible, and they over-compensated out of fear there would be too LITTLE to do as far as missions.  You're running at a break-neck pace from mission-to-mission. 

Lost Planet's camera moved a bit too slowly and I thought the SP was just too short (some of the missions themselves were very short). 

But Dead Rising won over it by getting that infamous "15 seconds of fun" down right...that is, using all sorts of fun objects to whoop up on zombies.  And Lost Planet got it right by fun old-school action and a casual, addictive multiplayer experience.

osusfaith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 osusfaith
[QUOTE="spidey008"]I am glad that Capcom took that risk. Both of these games are excellent IMO.dsmccracken
I like Dead Rising alot, but I don't get what the fuss is about Lost Planet.

Lost Planet I think was good for 2 reasons: 1. A simpler gameplay style. No tedious stealth or even all that much heavy duty cover or strategy involved. Just explosive arcady old school fun 2. Excellent production values and boss fights. I mean sometimes games like that are just fun. Why do games have to be so "deep" now a days?
Brown52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 Brown52
Member since 2006 • 2639 Posts

nanomecha4

strong argument there.
Brown52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Brown52
Member since 2006 • 2639 Posts
This probably happens to a lot of games.  The creators are always trying to sell their idea to the execs.
dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dhjohns

Neither game was perfect - the save system in Dead Rising was horrible, and they over-compensated out of fear there would be too LITTLE to do as far as missions. You're running at a break-neck pace from mission-to-mission.

Lost Planet's camera moved a bit too slowly and I thought the SP was just too short (some of the missions themselves were very short).

But Dead Rising won over it by getting that infamous "15 seconds of fun" down right...that is, using all sorts of fun objects to whoop up on zombies. And Lost Planet got it right by fun old-school action and a casual, addictive multiplayer experience.

jvonrader
Nice way to sum up those games. I mean sometimes in DR, I was just running from place to place just hoping to grab a mission.
jvonrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jvonrader
[QUOTE="jvonrader"]

Neither game was perfect - the save system in Dead Rising was horrible, and they over-compensated out of fear there would be too LITTLE to do as far as missions. You're running at a break-neck pace from mission-to-mission.

But Dead Rising won over it by getting that infamous "15 seconds of fun" down right...that is, using all sorts of fun objects to whoop up on zombies. And Lost Planet got it right by fun old-school action and a casual, addictive multiplayer experience.

dhjohns
Nice way to sum up those games. I mean sometimes in DR, I was just running from place to place just hoping to grab a mission.

Yeah. Completing every objective in that game was quite a feat - not out of difficulty (though it did have a couple spots that were rough), but just out of sheer time management skills. Several times, I ran by a lawnmower or something else and thought "That'd be fun to mow down some guys, but right now I gotta go do X" I forgot to mention the boss fights in Lost Planet as a highlight. That was the best part of the SP....I love those epic boss fights. Some guy at 1Up or somewhere wrote an article recently trying to tell the industry that boss fights are obsolete. Boy, was he wrong.
Fusible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Fusible
Member since 2005 • 2828 Posts
[QUOTE="nanomecha4"][QUOTE="osusfaith"] http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3157081

dhjohns

Something smelled fishy yesterday, and it was nanomecha. I called him out on it, and he disappeared from the board after I called him out. But to get back on LP, and DR. Inafune created Onimusha, and Mega Man. How could he mess this up, at minimum they were expecting to sell 740,000 copies to make up for the project. But they sold well over a million copies. He is a big time troll, and flamebaiter.
krunkmastax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 krunkmastax
Member since 2004 • 36027 Posts
Glad it payed off for them. Taking risks is a big chance.
kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts

Lost Planet was originally going to be relased on the the PS2.

dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dhjohns
[QUOTE="dhjohns"][QUOTE="jvonrader"]

jvonrader

Yeah. Completing every objective in that game was quite a feat - not out of difficulty (though it did have a couple spots that were rough), but just out of sheer time management skills. Several times, I ran by a lawnmower or something else and thought "That'd be fun to mow down some guys, but right now I gotta go do X" I forgot to mention the boss fights in Lost Planet as a highlight. That was the best part of the SP....I love those epic boss fights. Some guy at 1Up or somewhere wrote an article recently trying to tell the industry that boss fights are obsolete. Boy, was he wrong.

Again great post. Have you tried LP on extreme. It is impossible. To me that is the hardest achievement out there now. I mean I can't even pass the first boss. Take about impossible!
dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dhjohns

Lost Planet was originally going to be relased on the the PS2.

kage_53
Link?
jvonrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jvonrader
[QUOTE="jvonrader"][QUOTE="dhjohns"][QUOTE="jvonrader"]

dhjohns

Again great post. Have you tried LP on extreme. It is impossible. To me that is the hardest achievement out there now. I mean I can't even pass the first boss. Take about impossible!

Yeah...that's 150 gamerscore points I won't be getting. That and "Seriously..." on Gears. But different kinds of "hard"... Going through Extreme on LP would cost me to get a new controller after I hurled mine off my balcony. Getting 10,000 kills on Gears would cost me my job, my social life....
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
[QUOTE="blackace"]

osusfaith

Plus, who knew the creator of megaman still had it in him?

Um BlackBond did? Come on guys Megaman Zero scored three AA's and one A. Megaman Battle Network scored three AA's and two A's and the ZX series has one A. Not to mention Maverick Hunter X and Powered up were also AA. Megaman is a alive and healthy with some pretty decent games available to play. Now if only a certain other blue character could get back some of his former glory.
dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dhjohns
[QUOTE="dhjohns"][QUOTE="jvonrader"][QUOTE="dhjohns"][QUOTE="jvonrader"]

jvonrader

Yeah...that's 150 gamerscore points I won't be getting. That and "Seriously..." on Gears. But different kinds of "hard"... Going through Extreme on LP would cost me to get a new controller after I hurled mine off my balcony. Getting 10,000 kills on Gears would cost me my job, my social life....

I tried to do it on extreme. After the 1000 attempt to beat the first level boss, I had to realize that no matter how much kool-aid I drank, this just won't happen.
jvonrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jvonrader
[QUOTE="jvonrader"][QUOTE="dhjohns"][QUOTE="jvonrader"][QUOTE="dhjohns"][QUOTE="jvonrader"]

dhjohns

I tried to do it on extreme. After the 1000 attempt to beat the first level boss, I had to realize that no matter how much kool-aid I drank, this just won't happen.

You on the Xbox.com forums?
onewiththegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 onewiththegame
Member since 2004 • 4415 Posts

[QUOTE="hazbazz"]No, they didnt want to make it, they were forced at gunpointJandurin
Gimme all your gameplay! All your zombies are belong to me! Find the Lost Planet, now, and release it!

best post of the day bar none

WildfireFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 WildfireFox
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
As far as these games go, they're very solid titles. Heck, I don't like most games on the 360, and these two games are 2 of the 3 games I actually like on the system. :3 Dead Rising... such a great game!
cvasquez311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 cvasquez311
Member since 2004 • 962 Posts
word, thats understandable, both games arent that great.
tonyleo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tonyleo01
Member since 2004 • 2255 Posts
I here I was reading thinking that there'd be something interesting like M$ paid them to make the games or something along the line..... But isn't this like anygame or pretty much anything business? You have to convince the board of directors to give and an ok on your project. They like it, it's a go. They don't, it's a back to the scratch, or in the can.
ScalIywag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ScalIywag
Member since 2006 • 946 Posts

They failed on the famed Capcom 5.   Should be of no surprise