Can We All Agree That FPS's Aren't Going Anywhere?

• 138 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ichc1000x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 ichc1000x
Member since 2010 • 518 Posts

It's just one shooter after another. Same gamplay elements. Mirror's Edge and Borderlands were the last shooters that I thought actually impacted the genre in terms of gameplay. This thread will most likely be filled with Halo and Call of Duty addicts shooting me down, but at least I've gotten my opinion out.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
For me, Red Orchestra 2 is the next thing im looking forward to from the FPS genre
ichc1000x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ichc1000x

Mirror's Edge wasn't a shooter.

But yeah, most games in the genre do little to innovate, but it's not like games have to do something completely new in order to be good.

Slashkice

That's not what I'm trying to say. Most FPS's I play feel really derivative nowadays.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
Nope I can not agree on that. By the way Mirror's Edge is not a FPS.
ichc1000x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ichc1000x

Nope I can not agree on that. By the way Mirror's Edge is not a FPS. millerlight89

It's in first-person, and you kill people with guns....sounds like an FPS to me.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 millerlight89

[QUOTE="millerlight89"]Nope I can not agree on that. By the way Mirror's Edge is not a FPS. ichc1000x

It's in first-person, and you kill people with guns....sounds like an FPS to me.

It is not a FPS, is it that hard to understand? It is a first person action adventure/platformer.
davidkamayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 davidkamayor
Member since 2008 • 1642 Posts

[QUOTE="Slashkice"]

But yeah, most games in the genre do little to innovate, but it's not like games have to do something completely new in order to be good.

ichc1000x

That's not what I'm trying to say. Most FPS's I play feel really derivative nowadays.

Well to be fair most of them are sequels.

marcogamer07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 marcogamer07
Member since 2008 • 1615 Posts

[QUOTE="millerlight89"]Nope I can not agree on that. By the way Mirror's Edge is not a FPS. ichc1000x

Just because it has guns does not make it an FPS.

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

It's just one shooter after another. Same gamplay elements. Mirror's Edge and Borderlands were the last shooters that I thought actually impacted the genre in terms of gameplay. This thread will most likely be filled with Halo and Call of Duty addicts shooting me down, but at least I've gotten my opinion out.

ichc1000x

Yeah, FPSs are nothing. The graphics in some look nice, but thats all it has going for that genre.

kipohippo021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 kipohippo021
Member since 2010 • 3895 Posts

its not a first person shooter. The point is to run and jump, not to shoot. You get murdered if you even try.
kipohippo021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kipohippo021
[QUOTE="davidkamayor"]

[QUOTE="ichc1000x"]

[QUOTE="Slashkice"]

Well to be fair most of them are sequels.

exactly, a sequal builds on beloved gameplay.
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

I thought this was established back when Doom became popular...

IcyToasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 IcyToasters
Member since 2007 • 12476 Posts

Brink has elements similar to Mirrors Edge, but focuses more on violence. So first person freerunning is improving there.

DICE hasn't improved on Battlefield since Battlefield 2142, but there's not much news on BF3 yet.
GSC hasn't announced anything for STALKER 2 yet
Project Offset is in limbo.

So there's at least potential there, given the beginnings of what the first two did, and how ****ing awesome Offset looked.

So as of now, there's not really much going on in the improving on the FPS genre as a whole. I agree for now. :P

Is the new Dues Ex doing many news things?

ichc1000x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ichc1000x

[QUOTE="ichc1000x"]

[QUOTE="millerlight89"]Nope I can not agree on that. By the way Mirror's Edge is not a FPS. millerlight89

It is not a FPS, is it that hard to understand? It is a first person action adventure/platformer.

Let's look at this in-depth. First person camera view? Check. Guns that you shoot to kill people? Check. Hell, it could be a Platforming FPS for all I care. What I'm trying to say is that it can be classified as an FPS!

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Couldn't disagree more. Games like Prey, Bioshock and The Darkness prove the genre is definitely going somewhere.

ichc1000x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ichc1000x

Brink has elements similar to Mirrors Edge, but focuses more on violence. So first person freerunning is improving there.

DICE hasn't improved on Battlefield since Battlefield 2142, but there's not much news on BF3 yet.
GSC hasn't announced anything for STALKER 2 yet
Project Offset is in limbo.

So there's at least potential there, given the beginnings of what the first two did, and how ****ing awesome Offset looked.

So as of now, there's not really much going on in the improving on the FPS genre as a whole. I agree for now. :P

Is the new Dues Ex doing many news things?

IcyToasters

I have hope for the future, don't get me wrong, but I'm extremely disappointed with the present. >:(

Lisandro_v22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 Lisandro_v22
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts

Slashkice
In fact they do. A persons that discovers a country that has already been discovered is called an idiot. It applies for music, movies and books I don't see how it can't apply for videogames.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

I beat the game without using a gun. Mirror's Edge wasn't a FPS. Just because it played in a first person perspective doesn't make it a FPS title.

marcogamer07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 marcogamer07

Couldn't disagree more. Games like Prey, Bioshock and The Darkness prove the genre is definitely going somewhere.

DarkLink77

Those were made 3 years ago.

kipohippo021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kipohippo021
[QUOTE="ichc1000x"]

[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="ichc1000x"]

Let's look at this in-depth. First person camera view? Check. Guns that you shoot to kill people? Check. Hell, it could be a Platforming FPS for all I care. What I'm trying to say is that it can be classified as an FPS!

just because its first person, dosent make it an fps. The point of an fps is to shoot your way through, not to run past and jump up and down platforms. ME is a first person platformer, fpp, not a fps.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

ichc1000x

So are you calling Fallout 3 a FPS then? As I said earlier I beat Mirror's Edge without using a weapon.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 millerlight89

ichc1000x

That's funny I never used the guns. Let me state it once more. It is not a FPS.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

marcogamer07

So what? Does that invalidate them in some way?
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

That's partially true, although in all honesty like someone else said not like they need to completely change the genre to be good. Additionally, most other genres stay pretty much the same too. RTS's have been strikingly similar for a long time, RPGs often follow the same core elements time and time again and as for platformers its often the same type of gameplay over and over...so Idk what genre is really constantly innovating and expanding. Every now and again you'll find a new game that really mixes things up for said genre, but then all the other games go back to the normal tried and true formula for that type of game.

crimsonsabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 crimsonsabre
Member since 2006 • 746 Posts

no it's a first person action-adventure video game.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
if you compare shooters to other genre's like rpgs or action games you can see how much shooters have actually changed compared to them. Look at something like dragon age the game got 9.5/10 on gamespot yet if you look at some of bioware's earlier games like kotor they did nothing to enhance the genre. Or bayonetta/heavenly sword. their the exact same concept people have had for years. I'm not saying these genre's are worse I'm just saying a shooter constantly has to improve everything and add tons of features.
marcogamer07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 marcogamer07

[QUOTE="marcogamer07"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

So what? Does that invalidate them in some way?

It's not 2007 anymore. If similar games were made in 2010 today, they would get **** from everybody calling them rip-offs.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
Well there have been far to many call of duty clones. The last good ones came out in 2007/08. Crysis brought some great ideas to the genre but everyone only saw it as graphics. Far cry 2 while it wasn't that great had some great things going for it which hadn't been implicated very well. Call of duty 4 was great but since then they haven't really done much to it. Bc2 has some great things going for it but many people hate it since it is to hard compared to mw2 and you have to wait to respawn, that is one of the biggest problems with mw2 is the instant respawn and no real objectives in most of the game modes.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

True, very few shooters do much to innovate. There are some innovative shooters out there though, like the Darkness and Bioshock. But these are very rare.

crimsonsabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 crimsonsabre
Member since 2006 • 746 Posts

and again i tell you, like many people have stated, Mirror's Edge is not an FPS

edit: you've clearly never played m.e

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

if you compare shooters to other genre's like rpgs or action games you can see how much shooters have actually changed compared to them. Look at something like dragon age the game got 9.5/10 on gamespot yet if you look at some of bioware's earlier games like kotor they did nothing to enhance the genre. Or bayonetta/heavenly sword. their the exact same concept people have had for years. I'm not saying these genre's are worse I'm just saying a shooter constantly has to improve everything and add tons of features. dkdk999

I totally agree with this. Its not like all the other genres besides the FPS are constantly changing and evolving introducing new idea after new idea with all sorts of fresh concepts. Most games for all genres stick to the same tried and true formula.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

In Halo, there are section where you have to jump from one platform to another. Does that mean it's a platformer?

Pont is, the guns play a very minor role in Mirrors Edge, you don't even have to use them. So it's not an FPS. In Halo however, they are very crutial.

Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

Can't say I agree at all

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

Well Crysis and Deus Ex look really good for innovation but yeah you are right.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#38 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

There will be more unique ones, but the genre will be flooded with many generic ones.

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

Can't speak for any other franchise, despite things like perks, there's a long shot you're going to innovate the first-person-shooting part of FPS, but to the guy who said Red Orchestra 2, you're winner.

RO 1 doesn't have perks or unlockables. It gives you all the weapons and more, and even if you get the "best" weapon in the game, it doesn't mean you're going to be very effective with it. It's up to you to practice with it. By this I don't mean get a better reaction speed, but there's a lot of thinking going on in RO. Say you jump in a Tiger tank (Panther is better, but the point stands) and you think, HEY I'M A BADASS! That's not going to mean anything if you don't know where to shoot. It's not like Battlefield where all you have to do is put enough firepower into a vehicle and hope it blows up. In RO you need to know where each individual tank's ammo storage is, coordinate with your driver, then dial in the range on your sights and hope the shell penetrates on contact instead of deflecting.

Red Orchestra is definitely moving the genre >_>.

Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

Can't speak for any other franchise, despite things like perks, there's a long shot you're going to innovate the first-person-shooting part of FPS, but to the guy who said Red Orchestra 2, you're winner.

RO 1 doesn't have perks or unlockables. It gives you all the weapons and more, and even if you get the "best" weapon in the game, it doesn't mean you're going to be very effective with it. It's up to you to practice with it. By this I don't mean get a better reaction speed, but there's a lot of thinking going on in RO. Say you jump in a Tiger tank (Panther is better, but the point stands) and you think, HEY I'M A BADASS! That's not going to mean anything if you don't know where to shoot. It's not like Battlefield where all you have to do is put enough firepower into a vehicle and hope it blows up. In RO you need to know where each individual tank's ammo storage is, coordinate with your driver, then dial in the range on your sights and hope the shell penetrates on contact instead of deflecting.

Red Orchestra is definitely moving the genre >_>.

Sharpie125

Red Orchestra makes me happy.

I can't wait for the 2nd one to come out.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#41 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
I only wish shooters had the level of sharing and customization as Halo Reach does.
alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 alfredooo
Member since 2007 • 2664 Posts

DMC4 has guns.

DMC4 is in third person.

therefore DMC4 is a third person shooter like GoW 1 & 2.

You can also shoot arrows in first person view in Zelda... so Zelda is also an FPS beacuse you shoot in first person.

If a new Zelda is coming out, then I don`t see what you mean by FPS games not going anywhere.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#43 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

DMC4 has guns.

DMC4 is in third person.

alfredooo

Ha, ha, amazing logic.:shock:

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Well there Bulletstorm, Bioshock Infinite,and Brink.

Vader993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Vader993
Member since 2010 • 7533 Posts

its a fps you really can't do anything different,hopefully brink will change that

alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 alfredooo
Member since 2007 • 2664 Posts

[QUOTE="alfredooo"]

DMC4 has guns.

DMC4 is in third person.

mitu123

Ha, ha, amazing logic.:shock:

thank you, kind sir

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

Can't agree with that at all.

Avatar image for mrDeviousArrows
mrDeviousArrows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mrDeviousArrows
Member since 2010 • 46 Posts

i think there's some innovation going on, it's just that there's an equal amount of games that fall back on basics -games like bioshock, crysis +raven's last 2 offer more dynamic gameplay, customization --there's also more nonlinear design with the implementation of open + semi-open worlds (far cry 2, s.t.a.l.k.e.r., wolfenstein, frontlines). metro 2033 also fits in there cos of its deep gameworld. upcoming: rage is fps+racing+rpg, brink has crossplayer campaign and SMART. bulletstorm- dynamic combat.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

They are too going somewhere! They're skipping and singing all the way to the bank for a quick cash-in.

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
No, I wouldn't agree to that at all. We've had tons of influential and fundementally different shooters this generation like Borderlands, BioShock (though to be fair, its obviously quite similar to System Shock), Crysis, Left 4 Dead, Portal (if that counts), STALKER, to name a few. If anything, because of the genre's popularity nowadays, it's progressed and evolved more than ever. Hell, when shooters first started appearing, they were all basically redesigns of Wolfenstein and Doom. It wasn't until later we started seeing more variety to them.