Can we all agree that Crash Bandicoot was simplistic and shallow as f*ck?

• 183 results
Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

Yep. That's why the series is forgotten. The fact that Sony hardly tried to pull strings to get him is Playstation All stars says it all. The fact that Nintendo tried really hard to get Solid Snake and even Cloud speaks volumes about how iconic those characters were to be considered for a Nintendo game even though their games have strong ties with Playstation.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#152 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

I'm bookmarking this thread

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#153  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

@AzatiS said:

Its a fact mario galaxy has great values as a platform therefore my opinion about it , which i found it great but not that great is irrelevant. If that isnt a fact , then im batman.

So is for Crash. If someone comes in my face , specially when most likely havent played the very first game day 1 to understand both impact and quality values in that era , and tells me its average , which we all know average stands for 5 to 6 score wise while he is calling ALL Sony platforms ( the same guy ) shallow including Jak and other good/great games ( i wont call em amazing to make it fair ) , im sorry. Facts beg to differ.

It is an 100% irrefutable fact that all Crash and Jak main games averaged from 8 to 9 in Gamerankings ( metacritic didnt existed back then ) which stand from Great to awesome = AA/AAA. Sales were great , people were happy , critics were happy , companies were happy. If gaming newbies , Nintendo fanboys and all sort of Sony haters specially when they have almost zero experience of the games on their initial release found them shallow its just their opinion which that i was pointing out all along. Which imho , they shouldnt have one. Its like i call shallow an Amiga game or something similar that i never played myself.

All they said was how SM64 and Banjo were better ( like i said otherwise ? ) and thats why Sony platforms are shallow. They couldnt backup any of their claims simply because they dont know what are they talking about , they just talk. And you defending those guys ? Ok , whatever ! Think what you want but keep it real all im saying. Facts are facts.

Whatever our opinions , you cant change facts. As i cant change the fact that Galaxy production values and level design as platformer are amazing even if its not my cup of tea so people cant change the score facts , the design facts and everything Crash or Jak offered in their respective eras just because SM64 or Banjo were miles ahead. Period

Does Mario Galaxy have a lot of things we inherently value about a platformer? Sure, it's actually a pretty difficult game to argue as poor, you basically stick to the part where you argue Mario Galaxy 1 at least is way too fucking easy, and how much the series regressed mechanically. You'd still have a hard time calling it poor, but sure if you didn't find it great, for those exact reasons, it's not that crazy of an argument. Because Mario galaxy's greatness isn't a fact, it would still be an opinion.

Albeit sure I'm not the biggest fan of the idea that opinions can't be incorrect or shit, plenty of them.

That said I think you're overreacting to the idea that someone is just a fanboy (which whatever it's SW, easy to do that), and just ignoring that simply that style of platformer didn't click with a lot of people. Because in the case of Crash games and Jak 1 they are very similar games. In the case of Jak 2-3 those games dial back the platforming for the sake of being more action games by comparison. And again it is a fact that people liked those games critically and commercially, but it wouldn't necessarily mean that if someone felt the game was average, he or she is wrong or incorrect that the game is average.

Unless you want to present exactly what qualities Crash has that are 100% valued in platformers, and stacks up favorably to his contemporaries, and the greater history of the genre, mate you're still battling opinions with opinions.

Otherwise pretty sure my long ass post out right agrees with the notion that "shallow" seems to be a silly way to be articulating why one platformer is inferior to the others.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#154 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Yep.

Actual Crash wasn't even that good of a platformer in comparison to the other stuff from the PS1 days, now Ape Escape, that was dope. Crash 2 and 3? **** that.

Ape Escape is the shit. Such a fresh concept and they executed on it beautifully. I also really dig the futuristic aesthetic.

They certainly don't make em like that anymore.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#155 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

I loved it... Then again, Crash 1, 2 and 3 were my first ps1 games along with spyro.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#156 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19587 Posts

@Ghost120x said:

Yep. That's why the series is forgotten. The fact that Sony hardly tried to pull strings to get him is Playstation All stars says it all. The fact that Nintendo tried really hard to get Solid Snake and even Cloud speaks volumes about how iconic those characters were to be considered for a Nintendo game even though their games have strong ties with Playstation.

Solid Snake appeared on the NES long before he appeared on the PlayStation.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#157 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

@charizard1605: Dude can you trim the quote chains please.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#158  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@AzatiS said:

Its a fact mario galaxy has great values as a platform therefore my opinion about it , which i found it great but not that great is irrelevant. If that isnt a fact , then im batman.

So is for Crash. If someone comes in my face , specially when most likely havent played the very first game day 1 to understand both impact and quality values in that era , and tells me its average , which we all know average stands for 5 to 6 score wise while he is calling ALL Sony platforms ( the same guy ) shallow including Jak and other good/great games ( i wont call em amazing to make it fair ) , im sorry. Facts beg to differ.

It is an 100% irrefutable fact that all Crash and Jak main games averaged from 8 to 9 in Gamerankings ( metacritic didnt existed back then ) which stand from Great to awesome = AA/AAA. Sales were great , people were happy , critics were happy , companies were happy. If gaming newbies , Nintendo fanboys and all sort of Sony haters specially when they have almost zero experience of the games on their initial release found them shallow its just their opinion which that i was pointing out all along. Which imho , they shouldnt have one. Its like i call shallow an Amiga game or something similar that i never played myself.

All they said was how SM64 and Banjo were better ( like i said otherwise ? ) and thats why Sony platforms are shallow. They couldnt backup any of their claims simply because they dont know what are they talking about , they just talk. And you defending those guys ? Ok , whatever ! Think what you want but keep it real all im saying. Facts are facts.

Whatever our opinions , you cant change facts. As i cant change the fact that Galaxy production values and level design as platformer are amazing even if its not my cup of tea so people cant change the score facts , the design facts and everything Crash or Jak offered in their respective eras just because SM64 or Banjo were miles ahead. Period

Does Mario Galaxy have a lot of things we inherently value about a platformer? Sure, it's actually a pretty difficult game to argue as poor, you basically stick to the part where you argue Mario Galaxy 1 at least is way too fucking easy, and how much the series regressed mechanically. You'd still have a hard time calling it poor, but sure if you didn't find it great, for those exact reasons, it's not that crazy of an argument. Because Mario galaxy's greatness isn't a fact, it would still be an opinion.

Albeit sure I'm not the biggest fan of the idea that opinions can't be incorrect or shit, plenty of them.

That said I think you're overreacting to the idea that someone is just a fanboy (which whatever it's SW, easy to do that), and just ignoring that simply that style of platformer didn't click with a lot of people. Because in the case of Crash games and Jak 1 they are very similar games. In the case of Jak 2-3 those games dial back the platforming for the sake of being more action games by comparison. And again it is a fact that people liked those games critically and commercially, but it wouldn't necessarily mean that if someone felt the game was average, he or she is wrong or incorrect that the game is average.

Unless you want to present exactly what qualities Crash has that are 100% valued in platformers, and stacks up favorably to his contemporaries, and the greater history of the genre, mate you're still battling opinions with opinions.

Otherwise pretty sure my long ass post out right agrees with the notion that "shallow" seems to be a silly way to be articulating why one platformer is inferior to the others.

You are on point , i dont have anything to disagree with overall though i dont agree with the idea of someone judging games he didnt even see in his life let alone call em average without experience them around their release but anyways. My opinion i guess.

Everything started when people started to get upset with me when i was calling their opinions for what they were , opinions. Calling Jak games for example shallow or average ? Well its their opinion ... seems when im pointing out that people get furious. Then Charizard jumped once again in other peoples debate to call names again .. Well i had to defend myself once more to one of the most fanatic sheep around. But anyways ...

To close this , i never judge peoples opinion . I mean , you find Crash or whatever average ! Ok so be it , but its your opinion. Thats all i said to him. What did i say so wrong so we get all this drama ? Nothing ! Its a fact its his opinion ! You get what i mean ? Let people rage , im used to it , actually it is entertaining.

But calling a fact , that he even agrees with in the first place which make the whole debate even more ridiculous , that its his opinion he finds Sony platforms average , then going into butthurt mode when all im doing is pointing out the very same thing he says himself and then start the drama ? Oh come on now ! Its funny as hell im telling you !

So you find ALL sony platformers shallow and average ? So be it , your opinion ! And thats a fact ! Thats what im telling them all along ! And they get butthurt , its my fault ? Not really , its their fanboyism takes over thats what really going on. A well known LEM made another SONY dissing thread calling ALL Sony platforms shallow as F and all sheep and/or Lem came here to agree with. I pointing out its their opinion or im calling them to backup their opinion and they coming with ridiculous claims like "SM64 was better" or "Banjo was 9.4" or getting upset for no reason !

Thats what is really happening. And all i said to those people was that its their opinion. Then im the loyal , im the cow , this that ... Lol ! I mean , really ? haha ! Anyways , ill let it thru , had fun though , specially with Charizard.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#159  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@AzatiS said:
@jg4xchamp said:
@AzatiS said:

You are on point , i dont have anything to disagree with overall though i dont agree with the idea of someone judging games he didnt even see in his life let alone call em average without experience them around their release but anyways. My opinion i guess.

Everything started when people started to get upset with me when i was calling their opinions for what they were , opinions. Calling Jak games for example shallow or average ? Well its their opinion ... seems when im pointing out that people get furious. Then Charizard jumped once again in other peoples debate to call names again .. Well i had to defend myself once more to one of the most fanatic sheep around. But anyways ...

To close this , i never judge peoples opinion . I mean , you find Crash or whatever average ! Ok so be it , but its your opinion. Thats all i said to him. What did i say so wrong so we get all this drama ? Nothing ! Its a fact its his opinion ! You get what i mean ? Let people rage , im used to it , actually it is entertaining.

But calling a fact , that he even agrees with in the first place which make the whole debate even more ridiculous , that its his opinion he finds Sony platforms average , then going into butthurt mode when all im doing is pointing out the very same thing he says himself and then start the drama ? Oh come on now ! Its funny as hell im telling you !

So you find ALL sony platformers shallow and average ? So be it , your opinion ! And thats a fact ! Thats what im telling them all along ! And they get butthurt , its my fault ? Not really , its their fanboyism takes over thats what really going on. A well known LEM made another SONY dissing thread calling ALL Sony platforms shallow as F and all sheep and/or Lem came here to agree with. I pointing out its their opinion or im calling them to backup their opinion and they coming with ridiculous claims like "SM64 was better" or "Banjo was 9.4" or getting upset for no reason !

Thats what is really happening. And all i said to those people was that its their opinion. Then im the loyal , im the cow , this that ... Lol ! I mean , really ? haha ! Anyways , ill let it thru , had fun though , specially with Charizard.

You're only pulling the "it's your opinion" card because you can't stand my opinion that Sony platformers are average. It bothers you so much for reasons I cannot understand. I am aware that when I say "Sony platformers are average," I am stating an opinion. I don't need a nitwit like you who can hardly write a coherent sentence to tell me that.

You really just need to grow up and stop letting other people's opinions bother you so much.

Also, please educate yourself on what a fact is. It's really not a difficult concept.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By AzatiS

@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@jg4xchamp said:
@AzatiS said:

You're only pulling the "it's your opinion" card because you can't stand my opinion that Sony platformers are average. It bothers you so much for reasons I cannot understand. I am aware that when I say "Sony platformers are average," I am stating an opinion. I don't need a nitwit like you who can hardly write a coherent sentence to tell me that.

You really just need to grow up and stop letting other people's opinions bother you so much.

Also, please educate yourself on what a fact is. It's really not a difficult concept.

Oh its you again ! How is possible to get that butthurt when i say "its your opinion " when you even admit that yourself ? I dont get it. Anyways , this is getting too childish or too " nintendoish " if you want. Facts are facts as is a fact what you calling as average is your opinion. Accept it and move on ... i hope you read what you just linked yourself.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By GreySeal9

@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Oh its you again ! How is possible to get that butthurt when i say "its your opinion " when you even admit that yourself ? I dont get it. Anyways , this is getting too childish or too " nintendoish " if you want. Facts are facts as is a fact what you calling as average is your opinion. Accept it and move on ... i hope you read what you just linked yourself.

Jesus Christ. You have one of the thickest skills out of anybody I have ever encountered (and I'm not exaggerating; it's like you can't understand the most basic concepts). What I am saying is that it is obvious that "Sony platformers are average" is an opinion, so telling me that has no value in the conversation.

Instead of simply accepting the opinion, you start trying to bring scores into it and you tell me that it's my opinion as if I don't already know that. The reason you are doing that is because my opinion bothers you. You clearly don't like me saying that or you'd say simply say, "I disagree, but different strokes for different folks." My advice is to not let it bother you. It doesn't matter and getting upset about it makes you look a little crazy.

You would be adding more value to the conversation if you presenting an argument on your own (not simply spamming scores) as to why a certain game is not average and backed it up with points. I would be down for that. But I think you lack the intelligence to actually talk about game design and mechanics, so you will simply say "It's your opinion," all the while hilariously thinking you're making some kind of point by stating the obvious.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By AzatiS

@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:

Jesus Christ. You have one of the thickest skills out of anybody I have ever encountered (and I'm not exaggerating; it's like you can't understand the most basic concepts). What I am saying is that it is obvious that "Sony platformers are average" is an opinion, so telling me that has no value in the conversation.

Instead of simply accepting the opinion, you start trying to bring scores into it and you tell me that it's my opinion as if I don't already know that. The reason you are doing that is because my opinion bothers you. You clearly don't like me saying that or you'd say simply say, "I disagree, but different strokes for different folks." My advice is to not let it bother you. It doesn't matter and getting upset about it makes you look a little crazy.

You would be adding more value to the conversation if you presenting an argument on your own (not simply spamming scores) as to why a certain game is not average and backed it up with points. I would be down for that. But I think you lack the intelligence to actually talk about game design and mechanics, so you will simply say "It's your opinion," all the while hilariously thinking you're making some kind of point by stating the obvious.

You really keep going ? Are you that butthurt ? Dude , relax , you just said your opinion about Sony platforms without clarifying it , you said it on your own afterwards it was your opinion , i clarified it and thats all. Why so butthurt ? Because i gave some example with critics and i came up with a valid argument that people that dont know about those games , never played them etc shouldnt judge so many years afterwards ?

Just relax and stop acting as a kid please.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 GreySeal9

@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:

You really keep going ? Are you that butthurt ? Dude , relax , you just said your opinion about Sony platforms without clarifying it , you said it on your own afterwards it was your opinion , i clarified it and thats all. Why so butthurt ? Because i gave some example with critics and i came up with a valid argument that people that dont know about those games , never played them etc shouldnt judge so many years afterwards ?

If you're calling me butthurt on the basis that I'm still going, then you're pretty much admitting you're butthurt since you keep replying as well lol.

The moral of the story is that you should stop letting my opinions bother you. It's not healthy and you'll feel better if you don't let them get under your skin so much.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 AzatiS

Guess what !! Again is your opinion !

@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:

If you're calling me butthurt on the basis that I'm still going, then you're pretty much admitting you're butthurt since you keep replying as well lol.

The moral of the story is that you should stop letting my opinions bother you. It's not healthy and you'll feel better if you don't let them get under your skin so much.

xbhonner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 xbhonner
Member since 2015 • 891 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

I had been always OK with Crash. It's an okay game. It is fun, polished and has its charm but boy is nostalgia factor strong in this one. Compared to Mario, Conker or Banjo iterations from that era it's nothing to write home about. Its convention and gameplay was very limited and despite attempts at spicing things up with lots of side sequences, it just isn't an extraordinary game. As a pure platformer, it's mediocre at best. What's so fun about such an on-rails limited world? I think even Spyro might have been a better game because of its world and mechanics.

What do you guys think?

one thing for sure though :

its better - like 500000000 zillion times better - than Halo Combat Overrated Evolved. Also 8 zillion times more fun.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#166  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I loved the first trilogy and CTR for PS1, but in my opinion they are a bit overrated. There were far better 2D and 3D platformers back it Crash Bandicoot's time.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

@xbhonner said:
@Salt_The_Fries said:

I had been always OK with Crash. It's an okay game. It is fun, polished and has its charm but boy is nostalgia factor strong in this one. Compared to Mario, Conker or Banjo iterations from that era it's nothing to write home about. Its convention and gameplay was very limited and despite attempts at spicing things up with lots of side sequences, it just isn't an extraordinary game. As a pure platformer, it's mediocre at best. What's so fun about such an on-rails limited world? I think even Spyro might have been a better game because of its world and mechanics.

What do you guys think?

its better - like 500000000 zillion times better - than Halo Combat Overrated Evolved. Also 8 zillion times more fun.

:P

xbhonner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 xbhonner

@SecretPolice said:

i know that these xbots are living a salty life, noneed for pointing that out with a pic

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 SecretPolice

@xbhonner said:
@SecretPolice said:

i know that these xbots are living a salty life, noneed for pointing that out with a pic

With your name and that response, weak, very weak and you'd had been better off saying nothing at all.

Just a tip from you friendly neighborhood SP-Man, you can thank me later. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I'd say they are better than decent. Naughty Dog still struggles with character control to this day. Each release has gotten better, though.

Crash 1 and 2 are solid. Not perfect, but certainly technical feats and perhaps the best the psx has to offer in this regard. But like all psx games, they failed to reach the brilliance of what Nintendo 64 had to offer--id go as far as saying that they felt a generation behind in this respect.

xbhonner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 xbhonner

@SecretPolice said:
@xbhonner said:
@SecretPolice said:

With your name and that response, weak, very weak and you'd had been better off saying nothing at all.

weak response?

how about this :

ITS BETTER THAN halo ce, hALO CE : SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT, AND THROW GRENADE AT THE SAME ALIEN OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#173 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

These games like Crash, Banjo, Mario, Sonic, Spyro were always called "Zany" Games by my brothers and I. And there was almost always a level which contained fire or lava and small platforms. And aside from SMB, SMG, the first Sonic, Banjo now, and I am sure there are a few others I dabbled in, I never got into them all that much. I seemed to always want to Quest, Lead an under 2 minute drive, score the winning goal in hockey, or be in some kind of combat. So I guess my answer is I don't know enough about Crash. Other than the movie didn't deserve Best Picture imo that year.

xbhonner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By xbhonner

@SecretPolice said:

no response to my reply above?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 SecretPolice

@xbhonner:

Nah, got bored. :P

xbhonner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 xbhonner

@SecretPolice said:

@xbhonner:

Nah, got bored. :P

by halo?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 SecretPolice

@xbhonner:

Never.... Nevah. :P

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

Crash bandicoot games are actually my favourite games of all time, Simplistic yes, but great fun.

Im not sure how it could be shallow??

Id snap up a PS4 with a new Crash game, yes it would be partly due to nostalgia but its also got a formula thats pretty hard to Fcuk up.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#179 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41560 Posts

Can we agree that these "can we agree" threads all suck?

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#180 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Crash and his racing game where the shit.

DaftFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 DaftFruit
Member since 2016 • 29 Posts

Apparently we can't all agree. But then looking at the TC I get the impression had this started as a Xbox franchise he would be in tears about why it isnt considered the best platform we of all time ( pre activision ofc)

And no I don't agree. C1 and CTR are some of my best teenage gaming years only topped on console by Wipout

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 TiggyTog
Member since 2017 • 324 Posts

Crash 3 was fuckin' awesome, Crash 1 was okay, Crash 2 was pretty damn good.

Crash Team Racing was also awesome.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7255 Posts

Crash 2 was my favourite 1 was very basic would love a crash team racing remake.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

They're great games, so no I don't agree with you.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

@tiggytog: Why'd you bump this?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#189 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

CB was among those games during PS1 that made me feel sad for not owning a N64.