Can Super Smash Bros Save Wii U?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll Can Super Smash Bros Save Wii U? (77 votes)

Yes 13%
No 57%
Super Smash Bros Along With Mario Kart Can 30%

The fourth installment in Nintendo's biggest series for its home consoles is about to hit the Wii U later this year; Super Smash Bros games sell a crazy amount, and they sell an equally crazy amount of consoles with them. Do you think that Super Smash Bros. 4 will save the Wii U to any degree? Bump system sales upon release? Or do you think that it also being on the 3DS will hurt it a little?

Do you think that Smash alone won't be able to save the Wii U, but Smash and Kart together might help it at least a little?

• 
Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Slimmin360
Member since 2010 • 1933 Posts

The only reason i checked NO was because the Wii-U doesn't need saving.

Last i checked all of it's primary 1st party games aren't even out yet with the exceptions of Super Mario & Pikmin 3, and it's yearly sales are at like 9 million worldwide.

So what do you think will happen when a new Punch Out, Metroid, Zelda, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and Pokemon come out?

Like it or not it will make the Wii-U hardware fly off store shelves.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I think it will increase sales of the console, but I don't know how many units it would have to sell to "save" it.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I think Kart and Smash together already makes for a better holiday (2014) for family fun than 3D World (which was awesome for the 2013 holiday break). So in terms of "saving", I'd say the combination of this software, and if they continue to maintain it ala GCN, then yeah. It'll keep Nintendo in the console business. I mean, how could you resist getting a Wii U if you had a family? You have Mario 3D World, Mario Kart and Smash Bros. These three games alone will get you so much entertainment.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Wii U will be the gamecube of this generation capping out at around 20 million consoles sold.

MARK MY WORDS.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#5  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

Wii U will be the gamecube of this generation capping out at around 20 million consoles sold.

MARK MY WORDS.

I'm not sure anyone ever says otherwise. At this point, it is trending lower than the Dreamcast. The question is if Nintendo can salvage something from this mess, and that can only happen if some hardware and software sells.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

Honestly youll probably see another price cut this year

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

MARK MY WORDS.

I'm not sure anyone ever says otherwise. At this point, it is trending lower than the Dreamcast. The question is if Nintendo can salvage something from this mess, and that can only happen if some hardware and software sells.

It's going to outsell the Dreamcast simply because it will have a longer lifespan, imo.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

ill just leave it here

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

I hate to sound doom and gloom. But I honestly believe nothing can say the system now. If the great line-up they offered in 2013 didn't do it, then I just feel nothing will.

Mario Kart, and Smash Brothers will likely sell a lot, but they won't be selling consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

not really, especially now that there is a 3DS version with online.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

We hear it a lot, but what does "save Wii U" mean?

After all Nintendo is still maintaining marginal profits so it's not like the system is sinking them.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By trugs26

@ghostwarrior786 said:

ill just leave it here

By the end of the generation, if Nintendo comes out okay, then you'll need to erase all of those crosses because it will be the combination of all of those that kept Nintendo afloat: ie "everything on the blackbloard 'saved' the Wii U"

fadersdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 fadersdream
Member since 2006 • 3154 Posts

Install rate isn't high enough to currently do much.

Smash is a niche game, popular among gamers but only has a core audience.

WiiU is the best Nintendo can do.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

-Super Smash Bros

-Nintendo's biggest console franchise

Pick one

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

TC to save the Wii U in the terms you are saying, Super Smash would have to attract millions of new users instead of the just the one who played brawl, which the latter won't happen because part of it was inflated by casuals. Add in the fact there is a 3DS version as well and there you go.

It will move a few but one game is not going to do anything. Unless they make it the official bundled game and then give the bundles a lower price point. Then it might do more.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

No, it wont save it from last place this gen.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By trugs26
@fadersdream said:

I wouldn't go as far as niche. It's not as popular as the big flagship Nintendo titles, but at the same time, it isn't far off. It did quite well on the GCN, which is comparable to the Wii U. Where melee was in the launch window, so it also had a small install base to sell to. The counter argument is that given that it was in the launch window, most users had not much to play anyway, so Melee was picked up by most at the time. Regardless, I still think niche might be too harsh a term given the franchise's success in similar markets. An even better example would be Mario Kart, which released 2 years after launch (similar to Smash Bros. Wii U), yet Mario Kart DD sales were on par with what you usually see with Smash sales.

(in millions)

Smash Bros:

Average: 7.8

Wiii: 11

GCN: 7

64: 5.5

Comparatively:

3D Mario:

Average:

64: 11.9

Galaxy: 11

GCN: 6.3

Galaxy2: 7

Mario Kart:

Average:

Wii: 32

DS: 21

64: 10

SNES: 8.75

GCN: 7

3DS: 5.6

GBA: 5.5

7.8 vs 9 vs 12.8 (arguably the Wii/DS versions of Mario Kart are somewhat exceptions, especially if we are trying to find comparable markets to the Wii U).

Also, "attach rate isn't high enough", this thread is about exactly that, increasing console sales. That statement is illogical in this context. The question is "will it sell consoles", not "will the game sell".

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#18 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

It sure saved the GC from the two headed monsters of Halo and GTA 3 on the PS2.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

What exactly is it being saved from? Has it made Nintendo money or not? Genuine question. Does it need saving? Perhaps in the eyes of the contentious SW user it needs saving. But on a more practical level, where is Nintendo financially with the WiiU?

Either way, the more critical successes the better.

DarthBilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DarthBilf
Member since 2004 • 1357 Posts

@fadersdream said:

Smash is definitely not a niche game. It doesn't bring in the moms/little kids casual demographic, but it is extremely popular with the Madden/CoD casual demographic.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

NO.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#22 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

ZombiU already saved it.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@musicalmac said:

What exactly is it being saved from? Has it made Nintendo money or not? Genuine question. Does it need saving? Perhaps in the eyes of the contentious SW user it needs saving. But on a more practical level, where is Nintendo financially with the WiiU?

^^This, the whole doom and gloom of Nintendo is ridiculous, not to mentioned that Wii sales of Mario Kart are stronger than Smash Brothers in both GC and Wii.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@musicalmac said:

^^This, the whole doom and gloom of Nintendo is ridiculous, not to mentioned that Wii sales of Mario Kart are stronger than Smash Brothers in both GC and Wii.

Do you know what Nintendo's financials look like? Is the WiiU profitable? I really don't know, I have paid literally no attention to it since it was announced.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

It will save it as much as Pikmin did.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator

@silversix_ said:

It will save it as much as Pikmin did.

How does that make any sense?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@musicalmac: Give me five minutes to think about it.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FireEmblem_Man

@musicalmac said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@musicalmac said:

Do you know what Nintendo's financials look like? Is the WiiU profitable? I really don't know, I have paid literally no attention to it since it was announced.

Wii U sales have a small increase, but I think they're taking a hit for each unit sold. What brings them profit right now is Software sales and the 3DS. Nintendo now needs to release software and I wish Wii Sports Club was a full retail game, that could help some sale increase. Then again Wii Fit U is coming out as well.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 musicalmac  Moderator

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@musicalmac said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@musicalmac said:

Wii U sales have a small increase, but I think they're taking a hit for each unit sold. What brings them profit right now is Software sales and the 3DS. Nintendo now needs to release software and I wish Wii Sports Club was a full retail game, that could help some sale increase. Then again Wii Fit U is coming out as well.

I see. I figured that perhaps the WiiU was being sold at a profit given the internal tech (tablet controller aside).

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

I think they really put their foots in their mouths naming this thing the Wii U. They should have done something different. Then the games, nintendo I'd really like to see you calm down with the charming childish themes and subjects. Sure it's fine for a few games but come-on.

I would like to see them take a more mature stance on some of their properties. Delve into versions of Zelda & Metroid where mature and/or adult themes could be explored would have opened the games up a lot.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@musicalmac said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@musicalmac said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@musicalmac said:

I see. I figured that perhaps the WiiU was being sold at a profit given the internal tech (tablet controller aside).

Here's something you might like http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2014/01/08/steve-jobs-explains-why-nintendos-current-strategy-sucks/

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Define save.

Save it from being a complete shit show? sure.

Save it that it has a successful return to form gen? Hell no.

The system is dead and buried as a seller. The best thing it could have going for it is some great exclusives this gen. Essentially the Wii without the sales. Mostly shit console and short library, but the few games it did get here and there were really good, if not exceptional(The Galaxy games, and well that's it).

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

Nintendo needs to go on a studio acquisition spree to fill the 3rd party gap. Maybe not for the Wii U, but definitely for their next home console. About time they realize that 3rd parties don't give a **** about them.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34  Edited By stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

No. The wii U is doomed. And the longer it's out, the less hope I have for it. I will be shocked if it passes the gamecube in sales. That damn tablet controller killed their console. It's too expensive and if they keep going on it with, they will bleed more money. They are not making money on that console right now and it looks like they will need another price drop soon which will hurt them more. Poor research/marketing on their part.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Its gonna need something that's will blow people's mind at this point..not just "oh that's a great game" or its a good game. :p

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@superbuuman said:

Its gonna need something that's will blow people's mind at this point..not just "oh that's a great game" or its a good game. :p

+1 make something epic nintendo ..

and it will turn around like 3ds did.

mario kart8 or smash might be it...we'll see.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#37 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

I fail to see how the 3DS version will hurt it, considering fighting games on handhelds still aren't that popular compared to their console counterparts.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

@superbuuman said:

+1 make something epic nintendo ..

and it will turn around like 3ds did.

mario kart8 or smash might be it...we'll see.

yup it will be up to Nintendo and its other studios like Monolith etc.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

The wii u should be in last place by a couple million units by march 2014. The only reason the ps4 has not passed the wii u yet is production can't meet demand. Last I checked in NA gamestop had 1.8 million pre-orders still not filled. Sony said the wanted 5 million by march and the number seems low in light of having sold over 4 million already.

So what can smash brothers really do at this point??

Unless the wii u gets a price drop and some 1st party support I say it's going to be another gamecube.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

No, it's a multiplat

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Where have I heard this before?

Oh yea, Super Mario 3D World.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Save it sales? No, it's coming last and I would be surprised if it beat Gamecube/Xbox numbers.

Save it in games? No, one game won't change anything, though as part of Nintendo's usual awesome 1st party it will do it's part to make the console worthwhile as a secondary machine.

Save it in reputation? No, the WiiU is unknown to casuals and a joke amongst "the hardcore" so I don't think anything can save it at this point. Once PS4 and Xbox One get rolling and actually, ya know, get some proper next gen games, the WiiU will be mostly forgotten I think. Remembered once or twice a year when something like X comes out.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

ill just leave it here

LOL, looks right.

Most effective one to save the Wi..make that Nintendo, will be firing Iwata.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

Every time a new game comes out it seems to be the one like neo. Nintendo needs to change the way it does things on almost everything.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Save it from what? If it'll stay at 30/40k per week then it'll stay afloat through the generation. No game will ever provoke a higher continuous number of sales because the WiiU is a commercial failure. A strong marketing campaign is what can definitely boost the sales exponentially.

@jg4xchamp said:

Define save.

Save it from being a complete shit show? sure.

Save it that it has a successful return to form gen? Hell no.

The system is dead and buried as a seller. The best thing it could have going for it is some great exclusives this gen. Essentially the Wii without the sales. Mostly shit console and short library, but the few games it did get here and there were really good, if not exceptional(The Galaxy games, and well that's it).

I can probably name you more than two dozens good-great-brilliant exclusives/plats for the Wii, it's a great console to own now because everything is available, and it's dirt cheap. That's why i like waiting rather than buying early, so i don't have to experience drought.

The WiiU might be better as far as exclusives go. I have to wait and see how 2015 is to judge.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Every time a new Nintendo wiiu game comes out there are threads saying "Will game X save the wiiu?"

fadersdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By fadersdream
Member since 2006 • 3154 Posts

@trugs26: I don't want to go as far as to 'Niche' either, but when you look at it as a system seller it is.

Great game, super popular with gamers... but... but it is a cartoon fighting game on the WiiU. Maybe I'm wrong and niche isn't the right word, but it definitely is in a strange position.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

It's likely that it will, given that people bought the Nintendo Wii just for Brawl. However, if Nintendo doesn't release it on time, they might have to rename it to Super Smash Bros for PlayStation 4, Super Smash Bros for Xbox One, and Super Smash Bros for Steam.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#49  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@flashn00b said:

It's likely that it will, given that people bought the Nintendo Wii just for Brawl. However, if Nintendo doesn't release it on time, they might have to rename it to Super Smash Bros for PlayStation 4, Super Smash Bros for Xbox One, and Super Smash Bros for Steam.

No, just no...

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

A real console Pokemon would save it.