Can MOBA'S work on consoles?

• 49 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

First off, i've never played a MOBA before but i do know it rakes in a ton of money and it seems to be surpassing FPS in popularity as of late. So what do you guys think about making a MOBA for the consoles? can it work without a kb/mouse? and who will be the first to attempt it?

i think someone should jump and make a deal with league of legends devs to port it. i think ms would be quick to pull that trigger and would be a game changer

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I doubt it. Takes quite a bit of precision and timing

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@lostrib said:

Well the thing is that nothing is stopping these consoles from using a mouse and keyboard outside of the decision of the developer and the console maker from allowing it.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

I tried League and Dota 2. I just don't get it. How is that fun?

Anyway they are launching mmo's on consoles so why not mobas?

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jsmoke03

@lostrib said:

you dont think controllers can pull that off? they used to say the same thing about fps on consoles. i mean console fps are dumbed down versions but no one is complaining now. im more worried about how many buttons are needed to pull of a moba game

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lostrib

@sSubZerOo said:

@lostrib said:

Well the thing is that nothing is stopping these consoles from using a mouse and keyboard outside of the decision of the developer and the console maker from allowing it.

Yeah, but I doubt many would so they would still have to make it work with controller

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lostrib

@jsmoke03 said:

@lostrib said:

you dont think controllers can pull that off? they used to say the same thing about fps on consoles. i mean console fps are dumbed down versions but no one is complaining now. im more worried about how many buttons are needed to pull of a moba game

have you watched a DOTA 2 game? it's pretty complicated

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Bethesda is Proof that even the Buggiest most repetive crap can work on consoles.

Long Live MOBAs ! :D

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

What happend to Defiance ?

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

@jsmoke03 said:

@lostrib said:

I think button mapping would be fine but the precision really would be a problem; dota is a really hard game with a mouse, sod trying to pan around the map using an analogue stick.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Absolutely. Not every MOBA needs to be as complicated or n00b-dangerous as LoL and DOTA. In fact, it's likely that the best console MOBA would be built by some indie developer somewhere (which is how the whole genre got started to begin with).

I think a dual-stick shooter style MOBA would be a load of fun on a console. It's easy to imagine how well it would work.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

They can work, but they will have to be heavily modified to adapt to the lack of KB/M.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Of course they can work, you just have to tailor the UI and controls for the platform. Never played it, but Guardians of Middle Earth sounds like most reviews generally praised the control scheme.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jsmoke03

@lostrib said:

@jsmoke03 said:

@lostrib said:

ive seen people play it at pc pubs and i thought it was diablo or warcraft at first....is it really complicated as far as controls go? i thought it was more tactic based not like control dependent like starcraft

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lostrib

@jsmoke03 said:

@lostrib said:

@jsmoke03 said:

@lostrib said:

ive seen people play it at pc pubs and i thought it was diablo or warcraft at first....is it really complicated as far as controls go? i thought it was more tactic based not like control dependent like starcraft

Not necessarily the controls, although moving around the map and positioning may be more difficult with a controller. But the lack of precision pointing with the controller would be the real issue

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jsmoke03

@musicalmac said:

Absolutely. Not every MOBA needs to be as complicated or n00b-dangerous as LoL and DOTA. In fact, it's likely that the best console MOBA would be built by some indie developer somewhere (which is how the whole genre got started to begin with).

I think a dual-stick shooter style MOBA would be a load of fun on a console. It's easy to imagine how well it would work.

thats what i was thinking but i wasnt too sure since ive never played the genre at all.

i think whoever gets league or dota to be ported to a console will blow past the competition as the console of choice

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

Can consoles take the MOBA's & PC's go back to RTS? win win for everybody

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

You can easily play a Moba with a controller. You only get four moves so it's not like you couldn't map all the moves. The controls would be similar to that of Diablo 3 on ps3. The question is do consolites want to play mobas?

For example the Moba I'm playing now called smite could easily be put on console because it controls like a third person shooter and isn't click to move. Mobas don't have to be click to move same way shooter don't have to be first person. If the made it third person like smite you could easily put it on a console. Matter of fact I wouldn't be surprised if smite did come to console.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Yeah, if they supported k/m and had

SOME KIND OF ADJUSTABLE SHELF SO THAT YOU COULD PLAY IT COMFORTABLY ON THE COUCH OR IN THE BED.

Let's face it; consolites (myself included) don't like desks. This would fix everything. More PC specific genres are sorely needed on console.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 musicalmac  Moderator

@jsmoke03 said:

thats what i was thinking but i wasnt too sure since ive never played the genre at all.

i think whoever gets league or dota to be ported to a console will blow past the competition as the console of choice

Naw, forget those two. There are more fun MOBAs out there than people realize. Heroes of Order and Chaos from Gameloft on iPad is a boatload of fun, for crying out loud. Speaking of which, there are already quite a few good MOBAs on the iPad, but that's a separate issue.

If someone made a MOBA that took advantage of two sticks, four face buttons (for special attacks), thumb sticks for quick map navigation, a low PvP character count, and a bunch of minions to harvest, it's going to be a winner.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@lostrib said:

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 santoron

Honestly, with consoles becoming easier to port to than ever before, easier to get published on (at least digitally) than ever before, and platform holders willing to embrace FTP and other alternative business models we're going to see a whole slew of "PC only" genres testing the console waters this gen. MOBAs have come to consoles before, and I bet we see a few more this gen.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jsmoke03

@santoron said:

Honestly, with consoles becoming easier to port to than ever before, easier to get published on (at least digitally) than ever before, and platform holders willing to embrace FTP and other alternative business models we're going to see a whole slew of "PC only" genres testing the console waters this gen. MOBAs have come to consoles before, and I bet we see a few more this gen.

which games are those? really interested in playing one. im just not willing to get blasted for learning since lol and dota are way too big

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#24 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Don't think so . Current games won't work , they'll have to make some new genre that can fit well with controller . Still it won't be as complicated or tactical as PC centric titles designed for mouse and keyboard .

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Why won't it? Its not an mmo with 30 macros so of course it'll work and work nicely. Not that i care about MOBAs

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Sure, they just wouldn't be clones of DotA/LoL. They'll have their own gameplay but the setup would be the same or really similar.

MobA is pretty broad and it's more of a setup of various gameplay mechanics rather than a specific style of game. MobAs can be 3rd person action games, first person shooters, RTSs, pretty much anything if you've got the mind to adapt the game to a MobA setup.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By santoron

@jsmoke03 said:

@santoron said:

which games are those? really interested in playing one. im just not willing to get blasted for learning since lol and dota are way too big

I put a link up earlier to Guardians of Middle-Earth. Never played, so I don't know if I could recommend it or if people play it at all, but it received solid reviews (scanning Metacritic) and the controls were generally viewed favorably.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

If MMOs can work(really well in the case of ff14) then so can MOBAs

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Yeah if they put items on this screen:

while you're playing on the main screen but the items will have to be easy enough to distinguish between without the player looking down which all goes to UI design. The WiiU has the best setup for MOBA and RTS games as far as consoles go but Nintendo is too daft to try to get those types of games on the console.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Sure the Xbox and PS4 are strong enough to run most them, only one major problem.

MOBA's are a sub-genre of RTS only faster. Console controllers don't do very well with RTS games where you usually have a bit more time to plan, they'd be awful for a MOBA, you need to be fast and accurate. The only MOBA (along the lines of LoL and DotA 2) I've seen that could potentially port reasonably well to a controller is AirMech, even then it would be a chore to play.

For the people saying MMO's can port well, so can MOBA's. They are completely different genres, you're as well saying FF14 ported fine so can Star Craft 2.

Funk21312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31 Funk21312
Member since 2014 • 242 Posts

League can work. I got D2 using a m+k and saw that they had a profile for it on Pinnacle so I gave it a try for lols and it was easier than I expected. It's still nowhere near as good as using a m+k but I actually did quite well with it

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

*facepalms* Awesomenauts is on consoles too!

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

MOBA's are a sub-genre of RTS only faster.

I am pretty darn sure your average RTS have a much higher APM requirement than your typical MOBA. With the main reason being, you control an entire army, as opposed to just one character. However, I would say MOBAs have a higher requirement on reactions and reflexes than RTS, but consoles are full of games that are all about reflexes and reacting fast, so it is no problem for them.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

I doubt it. The real issue isn't the buttons (you only have 4 skills and then items as well which could be mapped to a wheel) it's the selection of units. How do you make it possible to quickly switch your attack from one person to another, or to accurately aim an AoE spell/move without just mapping a pointer to an analogue stick?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

Much like on the subject of RTSs, this comes down to the idea of whether they work on consoles because of controls, at least that's what people tend to bring up. I think RTSs are very doable on consoles, not to the degree that they work on PCs but certain games like RUSE show they're very doable. But that's the least of my concerns on the subject, because RTSs just simply aren't commercially viable on consoles.

Anyhow, with regard to MOBAs, I'd imagine they'd work on consoles, at least technically, easier than typical RTSs because of they require less need of large scale unit and resource management due to the multiplayer aspect and each player needing to control and manage a lot less. Guardians of Middle-Earth seems to have some praise for being able to pull of a MOBA on consoles. But again, even if it's doable, whether or not it's commercially viable is another thing. There'd need to be a big console MOBA to make waves and garner massive popularity to further support the genre on the console medium.

I think the limitations of bringing PC-centric games to consoles is they're designed for PCs in their mechanics, if they anticipated accessibility on consoles from the get-go I think they'd make a better go of it. Another big thing I think developers missed out on last gen was the keyepad, the Xbox 360 and PS3 each got one last gen but to my knowledge nobody made any use of its potential. I hope we get a similar device on X1 and PS4, and hopefully developers make use of it. For RTSs it can be used as a squad shortcut for designated groups of units, or shortcut keys to a number of features.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

Cant believe there is a topic of conversation other than PS4 vs X1. Woop Woop

On topic....Of course its possible. Its a series of gameplay mechanics that create MOBA its not a specific format.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#37  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

Yes. Sadly, these games involve some basic form of thinking.

Thus, like RTS games, they will never be popular.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Its cute that you associate intelligence with the piece of plastic you choose to play games on. Except replace "cute" with "pathetic."

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

@blangenakker said:

Can you really count that though? Awsomenauts isn't really a MOBA but more a brawler with turrets and creeps.

And even if you do consider Awesomenauts a MOBA, the console version isn't even close to the PC version. It has a quarter of the champions that are on the PC version because most of their playstyles don't work with controllers.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 uninspiredcup

@clone01 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Its cute that you associate intelligence with the piece of plastic you choose to play games on. Except replace "cute" with "pathetic."

But I'm right.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

@melonfarmerz said:

@blangenakker said:

Can you really count that though? Awsomenauts isn't really a MOBA but more a brawler with turrets and creeps.

And even if you do consider Awesomenauts a MOBA, the console version isn't even close to the PC version. It has a quarter of the champions that are on the PC version because most of their playstyles don't work with controllers.

But what makes a game a MOBA?

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

@blangenakker said:

@melonfarmerz said:

@blangenakker said:

But what makes a game a MOBA?

I guess that's quite a broad term. If you go by the name, Aeon of Strife Styled Fortress Assault Game Going On Two Sides (you can work out what the acronym is yourself, I don't want to get banned. lol), Awesomenauts does apply. However, does it play like Smite, LoL, or DOTA, not even close. It's like asking is Natural Selection really an RTS? Case can be made both ways.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

Technically Monday Night Combat was considered a moba of sorts and it was on consoles, although its precessor; SMNC was more defined as one, but that only appeared on the PC platform.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By clone01

@uninspiredcup said:

@clone01 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

But I'm right.

No, not remotely.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 uninspiredcup

@clone01 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@clone01 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

But I'm right.

No, not remotely.

Reality agrees with me.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lostrib

@uninspiredcup said:

@clone01 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@clone01 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

But I'm right.

No, not remotely.

Reality agrees with me.

how so?

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By clone01

@uninspiredcup said:

@clone01 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@clone01 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

But I'm right.

No, not remotely.

Reality agrees with me.

Reality is not a quantifiable fact, Jankarop.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 uninspiredcup

@clone01 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@clone01 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@clone01 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

But I'm right.

No, not remotely.

Reality agrees with me.

Reality is not a quantifiable fact,

It is if it's a fact.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

@musicalmac said:

Awesomenauts was built from the ground up for, and played extremely well on consoles.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator

@pyratrum said:

@musicalmac said:

Awesomenauts was built from the ground up for, and played extremely well on consoles.

I never tried it with a controller, but I can see how it would work well (play it on my computer). It's really fun.

I think a 3D MOBA is just as possible, too.