Call of Duty 4's campaign outshines its multiplayer.

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts

After all my hateful comments in the past about Call of Duty 4, I still, for some odd reason, decided to give it a rent. Aside from the fact that the game was, like, five freaking hours long, the quality of it was top notch. It was always thrilling and there were no dull moments. This hurts coming for me after hating on it for two years.

The only games my friends would ever play were Halo, Call of Duty 4, Gears of War, and Guitar Hero. This may explain some things, because whenever I went anywhere, I was always surrounded with people playing it. Eventually, I would sit out of matches. I just didn't want to play, sat there, and talked instead.

Well, the game is fun for a few hours. I can't really see investing 20 hours in to a game like this, but the 5 hours I spent with it were good. I played online only for 36 minutes, though. That was six matches total, and I'll probably be done with it then. I can't see myself really playing the online. Playing split-screen with my little brother was fun, but that just brought me back to late 2007 and early 2008 again. The multiplayer is a nice distraction, but I say the core of the game is the campaign mode. It pains me to say this, but I assure you that I will still bash Call of Duty 4 only because it is praised for its multiplayer. ;)

I'm returning it tomorrow and picking up a new game, but their selection is ****.

Anyway, does anyone here agree? I've never really heard anyone say anything about it, except that Soap is a ****ing stupid name. I might give Modern Warfare 2 a rent now, actually. If I ever have the urge for multiplayer, I'll go to my friends' houses.

Anyway, what say you?

Edit: By the way, I'm doing the "Get any game or movie you want for an entire month for 22 dollars." I can return any game or movie I want at any time and pick up a new one at any time. It's highly convenient. First time I've rented games in awhile, and I also get to see the ****ty horror movies without actually worrying about spending money of them (Friday the 13th was so ****ing awful).

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#2 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
Incredibly scripted single-player, plus infinite respawnable enemies, plus ridiculously short length makes me lean to saying multiplayer > singleplayer by far.
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts

cant diasgree more. So if COD4 had no MP do you think it would get the ratings it did?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#4 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
The single player is indeed awesome, shame it was so short. While I don't have any problems with the multiplayer, I'm glad you finally enjoyed it, even if it was just a single aspect.
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
Nope, thought the gameplay was boring.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

cant diasgree more. So if COD4 had no MP do you think it would get the ratings it did?

imaps3fanboy
No! I was just stating what I thought, and I wanted to see if people agreed.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

Oh I agree. The multiplayer is an unbalanced mess. Anyone who's played it knows it has issues with the leveling, perks, and weapons.

However, the singleplayer isn't exactly fantastic either. It's certainly passable though. It reminds me of the older CoDs condensed into one short 5-hour package, with really annoying respawning enemies and a poor save/checkpoint system.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Incredibly scripted single-player, plus infinite respawnable enemies, plus ridiculously short length makes me lean to saying multiplayer > singleplayer by far.Stevo_the_gamer
I looked for the infinite repsawnable enemies, and I did not at all notice it, unless you are talking about the "All Ghillied Up" level.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
I don't find the singleplayer nor the multiplayer component particularly fascinating. I couldn't beat the game because I got bored of it. The multiplayer on the other hand is impressive for a console game, but isn't too great given you've played multiplayer shooters before.
MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

Why is this in the System Wars section? :|

This would be more fitting in the General Games Discussion

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Personally I'd play the single portion over the multiple portion any day.
Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Snagal123
Member since 2006 • 3524 Posts

I enjoyed the singleplayer, but its very low on my "good singleplayer FPS" list.

Respawning enemies is one of the lowest kinda of tricks a game can use.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#13 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I agree, the campaign is solid, but the multiplayer isn't that great and it's overrated too.

kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts

After all my hateful comments in the past about Call of Duty 4, I still, for some odd reason, decided to give it a rent. Aside from the fact that the game was, like, five freaking hours long, the quality of it was top notch. It was always thrilling and there were no dull moments. This hurts coming for me after hating on it for two years.

The only games my friends would ever play were Halo, Call of Duty 4, Gears of War, and Guitar Hero. This may explain some things, because whenever I went anywhere, I was always surrounded with people playing it. Eventually, I would sit out of matches. I just didn't want to play, sat there, and talked instead.

Well, the game is fun for a few hours. I can't really see investing 20 hours in to a game like this, but the 5 hours I spent with it were good. I played online only for 36 minutes, though. That was six matches total, and I'll probably be done with it then. I can't see myself really playing the online. Playing split-screen with my little brother was fun, but that just brought me back to late 2007 and early 2008 again. The multiplayer is a nice distraction, but I say the core of the game is the campaign mode. It pains me to say this, but I assure you that I will still bash Call of Duty 4 only because it is praised for its multiplayer. ;)

I'm returning it tomorrow and picking up a new game, but their selection is ****.

Anyway, does anyone here agree? I've never really heard anyone say anything about it, except that Soap is a ****ing stupid name. I might give Modern Warfare 2 a rent now, actually. If I ever have the urge for multiplayer, I'll go to my friends' houses.

Anyway, what say you?

Edit: By the way, I'm doing the "Get any game or movie you want for an entire month for 22 dollars." I can return any game or movie I want at any time and pick up a new one at any time. It's highly convenient. First time I've rented games in awhile, and I also get to see the ****ty horror movies without actually worrying about spending money of them (Friday the 13th was so ****ing awful).

DeathScape666
what is the rental store you speak of with this kind of deal??
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Incredibly scripted single-player, plus infinite respawnable enemies, plus ridiculously short length makes me lean to saying multiplayer > singleplayer by far.DeathScape666
I looked for the infinite repsawnable enemies, and I did not at all notice it, unless you are talking about the "All Ghillied Up" level.

Play on any of the higher difficulties? I was watching my friend do Veteran. He ran into a building and two enemies mysteriously spawned right in front of him. He was dead in a second. I've noticed it too on my first time, and I played it on Heroic (third difficulty level).
MrSlippery39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 MrSlippery39
Member since 2004 • 730 Posts

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Incredibly scripted single-player, plus infinite respawnable enemies, plus ridiculously short length makes me lean to saying multiplayer > singleplayer by far.DeathScape666

Play on veteran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
[QUOTE="kidcool189"][QUOTE="DeathScape666"]

Anyway, what say you?

Block Bluster. There's also the deal where you can rent 2 movies at any time for 30 dollars a month, although, if you want to be able to rent movies AND games, then it's 35 dollars. It's a great deal, especially since I live 5 minutes away. I can just go and pick up what I want. Also, guys, I'm a noob. I played on the noob difficulty settings.
cantor2537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cantor2537
Member since 2007 • 427 Posts

SP I thought was awesome. Only complaint: too short. MP was good when I first started playing it. However once I started playing WAW, I realized how unbalanced COD4's MP was. Yes, I am one of those few who likes WAW more than MW. Grenade spamming, lack of support from IW (only one map pack), poor balancing of weapons make me prefer WAW a lot more. I hope IW fixes these issues .

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mitu123

[QUOTE="DeathScape666"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Incredibly scripted single-player, plus infinite respawnable enemies, plus ridiculously short length makes me lean to saying multiplayer > singleplayer by far.MrSlippery39

Play on veteran

Yep, I did and until you reach a certain point, enemies will never stop re spawning.
ps3wizard45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 ps3wizard45
Member since 2007 • 12907 Posts

Incredibly scripted single-player, plus infinite respawnable enemies, plus ridiculously short length makes me lean to saying multiplayer > singleplayer by far.Stevo_the_gamer
I agree

kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts

[QUOTE="kidcool189"][QUOTE="DeathScape666"]

Anyway, what say you?

DeathScape666

Block Bluster. There's also the deal where you can rent 2 movies at any time for 30 dollars a month, although, if you want to be able to rent movies AND games, then it's 35 dollars. It's a great deal, especially since I live 5 minutes away. I can just go and pick up what I want. Also, guys, I'm a noob. I played on the noob difficulty settings.

blockbuster huh, havent been there forever

even tho its a little more expensive than gamefly, it sure as hell seems a lot more convenient to be able to go somewhere local for that kind of deal especially if u happen to get a bad game

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mitu123
Unbalanced multiplayer(and maps) FTL IMO!
Pdiddy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pdiddy105
Member since 2007 • 4577 Posts

Way too linear and filled with archaic design choices like respawning enemies who can throw throw a grenade farther than an NFL player can throw a football.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#24 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
People may piss and moan all they like about how scripted and linear the campaign is, but it's still a damn good scripted, linear campaign.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

[QUOTE="DeathScape666"][QUOTE="kidcool189"]what is the rental store you speak of with this kind of deal??kidcool189

blockbuster huh, havent been there forever

even tho its a little more expensive than gamefly, it sure as hell seems a lot more convenient to be able to go somewhere local for that kind of deal especially if u happen to get a bad game

Yup, definitely. If I'm hanging out with my friends, and they want to watch a movie, we can go right there and pick one out. Plus, I get both games AND movies, so it's extremely convenient.

Kimbo_Slyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Kimbo_Slyce
Member since 2009 • 913 Posts

You stole the words right out of my mouth. Oh and way too much stereotyping with the characters and enemies.

WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 WasntAvailable
Member since 2008 • 5605 Posts

It's true, but the single player is remarkably uninspired. Those same gameplay elements had been handled several times before in better games, including even CoD 1 and2. The game is too linear, it's too short and it's not good enough to keep my intrest when I can play so many other better FPS games, and pay so much less. Games like CoD 4 have nothing on the likes of Half Life 1/2 or Dues Ex.

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

[QUOTE="DeathScape666"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Incredibly scripted single-player, plus infinite respawnable enemies, plus ridiculously short length makes me lean to saying multiplayer > singleplayer by far.Saturos3091

Play on any of the higher difficulties? I was watching my friend do Veteran. He ran into a building and two enemies mysteriously spawned right in front of him. He was dead in a second. I've noticed it too on my first time, and I played it on Heroic (third difficulty level).

It's not about veteran or what difficulty level. Once you pass a certain point then they stop respawning and most of them disappear. It's the worst respawning I've ever seen put into a game. They just make them respawn like crazy with the exception of certain levels were you have to snipe and stuff like that. Other then that they respawn like crazy on any difficulty.

Avatar image for z_gaming_master
z_gaming_master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 z_gaming_master
Member since 2004 • 964 Posts

Am I the only one here who wasn't really bothered by the infinite respawn of enemies in COD4?

I played it through on Veteran difficulty and never once was it a problem, in fact, I actually enjoy the feeling of having to 'push forwards' to gain ground, rather than having the option of simply staying put. Anyway, if you kill them fast enough they shouldn't have time to respawn before you move forwards.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
People may piss and moan all they like about how scripted and linear the campaign is, but it's still a damn good scripted, linear campaign. Cherokee_Jack
Yeah, Toy Story is scripted and people don't mind that (kidding!). Seriously, though, I probably wouldn't notice the difference unless I played it twice through, which I won't.
waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
I still haven't finished the SP and I doubt I ever will.
SkidRow18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 267

#32 SkidRow18
Member since 2008 • 1120 Posts

I totally agree with u, i am afraid that games in the future would focus more on multiplayer than on the single player experience which is the core of the game. I am also disappointed to hear that modern warfare 2 would not be any longer than cod4 and i hate the fact that infinity ward said they would rather give a short non stop action campaign rather than a long boring campaign. Instead of saying this, why can't they make a long but rather non stop action campaign like what they did in cod2?

I don't care what your think but full $60 price for a 5hr-6hr campaign is just unreasonable. Sure, the multiplayer adds replay value but multiplayer should be counted as a bonus. If they want to make a multiplayer game, the price should be cheaper. Anyway, I rate the pc version a 8.0 and xbox 360 a 7.5 because the pc version is cheaper and to me, fps is best played with a mouse and keyboard.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#33 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts

Why is this in the System Wars section? :|

This would be more fitting in the General Games Discussion

MadVybz
Because people will flame him for stating his opinion that's why.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

CoD4 SP is fun, but it's also horribly outdated, like something straight from 1998

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i like the campaign better too, i'm more of a battlefield guy for mp

SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts
[QUOTE="MrSlippery39"]

[QUOTE="DeathScape666"] I looked for the infinite repsawnable enemies, and I did not at all notice it, unless you are talking about the "All Ghillied Up" level.mitu123

Play on veteran

Yep, I did and until you reach a certain point, enemies will never stop re spawning.

yeah, i noticed it in the mission where you search for al asad in the warehouses. the enemies were just infinite there.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

The single player sucked; mediocre and riddled with previous gen problems.

The multiplayer was much better.

CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts

You bashed CoD4 even though you didn't play it? :lol:

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

Yep, if it wasn't for the multiplayer I wouldn't have bought the game...and TC I'm sure since you rented the game you didn't give the multiplayer a real shot.

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts

I disagree. The MP is very well fleshed out, with the customization and all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Incredibly scripted single-player, plus infinite respawnable enemies, plus ridiculously short length makes me lean to saying multiplayer > singleplayer by far.W1NGMAN-

Yep, if it wasn't for the multiplayer I wouldn't have bought the game...and TC I'm sure since you rented the game you didn't give the multiplayer a real shot.

Nope, not at all. I've played the multiplayer at my friends' houses a hell of a lot of times. So many times. Same with Halo, Gears of War, and Guitar Hero. Just because I don't own it doesn't mean I haven't played it extensively. Like I said before, my friends and I aren't attractive, so we can't just go out and **** girls. We are forced to sit on our ***es inside playing video games and watching movies. 'Tis a good bit of fun. ;)
abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts

I agree, the campaign is solid, but the multiplayer isn't that great and it's overrated too.

mitu123
I agree too, KZ2, Resistance2 or Halo3 MP is better than CoD4's MP by a long shot.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
i agree campaigin> multiplayer
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#44 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

I liked the campaign more than the multiplayer, as well.

The minority- I'm in it.

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#45 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts
i agree campaigin> multiplayerdakan45
That's not saying much. They both are bad.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mitu123
[QUOTE="mitu123"]

abuabed
I agree too, KZ2, Resistance2 or Halo3 MP is better than CoD4's MP by a long shot.

I played those games online as well, couldn't agree more.
NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 NielsNL
Member since 2005 • 4346 Posts

I enjoyed it. I still think a 5 hour SP is a ripoff though.

WTA2k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#48 WTA2k5
Member since 2005 • 3999 Posts

It does have an awesome campaign, whether or not it's better than multiplayer I don't know. I can say I for sure spent more time on multiplayer in COD4, but sinngleplayer was certainly impressive.

Also, why would you hate on a game that I'm assuming you didn't play at the time?

UnamedThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 UnamedThing
Member since 2008 • 1761 Posts
I don't see how people would disagree with you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
[QUOTE="WTA2k5"]

It does have an awesome campaign, whether or not it's better than multiplayer I don't know. I can say I for sure spent more time on multiplayer in COD4, but sinngleplayer was certainly impressive.

Also, why would you hate on a game that I'm assuming you didn't play at the time?

I did at my friends' houses, but that was split-screen; not the single player. ;)