Call of Duty 4 what's so great about it?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I never understood the love that this game gets I played it back in the day and was extremely let down by it's gameplay maybe it's because I was playing Battlefield 2 alot before it and enjoyed the slower pace teamwork with no regenerating health, grenade indicators, perks or kill cams. COD4 just feels so shallow I wasn't expecting it to be some war sim but still the game just holds your hands the arcadey nature of the game feels ridiculous. I know people will say COD4 brought us out of the WW2 trend that was going on but Battlefield 2 did that in 2005 two years before modern warfare came out. So my question is why do people love COD4 so much and hate the new ones when they're basically the same game? and what makes COD4 so special? to me this game started a horrible trend of COD clones and the FPS genre became extremely dumbed down because of it's influence.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

I thought it had a very interesting campaign, cool set-pieces, and I love the arcadey style multiplayer. I got a kick out of the killstreaks and playing around with the perks.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

Because everything before it was trash bro.

CoD4 made online gaming cool.

Goldeneye007 was the first popular couch shooter multiplayer game.

Halo series took that spot soon after and then was the best shooter for online a few years.

CoD4 was the next evolution. Awesome campaign, awesome online with RPG like leveling up made it addicting.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46282 Posts

The singleplayer is one of the best ever. It has so many memorable levels: the C130 plane, the chernobyl level.

I don't really care for its multiplayer, but will definitely replay the singleplayer a ton more times.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

CoD is one of gaming’s most polished franchises. In an age where launch days are buggy or broken, CoD launches with ease each year. This goes for a smooth campaign and online experience. It’s production value is insane.

A great deal of hate the franchise experiences is from online multiplayer. It’s not easy or forgiving to newcomers. CoD is one of the few games that actually takes skill to be good. It’s fast paced so younger people with quicker reflexes surprisingly do well. This pisses off older folk because they feel insulted that they got ‘owned’ by a 12 year old. Said 12 year olds tend to act 12 in voice chat as well so CoD takes a hit there too.

The best way to play CoD is with friends or Clubs you can find on Xbox which weeds out the more immature players and you can play with adults.

Most people who ‘hate’ CoD are simply not good at it.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45105 Posts

It was unique for its time. Brought RPG elements to FPS. Made FPS extremely popular on console. Not sure why you're blaming the game for anything. It's the people who support games...

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2066 Posts

The multiplayer was tight, easy enough to jump in and jump out, but for those who were a bit more serious there were angles to learn, directions to blind throw grenades, choosing a load out was a switch up from the more traditional arena FPS with pickups/powerups etc., progression system was rewarding and enjoyable, like many I don't agree with how these systems were monetised in the end but credit to COD 4 for what it was.

Campaign wise you had a great cast of characters, voice acting was good, the story was engaging (if a bit tropey) but to this day I remember the mission as a marine where a nuke goes off, the AC130 mission, All ghillied up, the opening mission assaulting the container ship.

Doesn't mean the series hasn't taken some questionable turns since then but COD4 really does deserve the praise it gets.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

Never liked it. it ruined FPS genre last gen with every developer were making 6 hour scripted FPS 10 years ago.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:

Never liked it. it ruined FPS genre last gen with every developer were making 6 hour scripted FPS 10 years ago.

These things happen when weak AI are the only opponents you can handle. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@ajstyles said:

Because everything before it was trash bro.

CoD4 made online gaming cool.

Goldeneye007 was the first popular couch shooter multiplayer game.

Halo series took that spot soon after and then was the best shooter for online a few years.

CoD4 was the next evolution. Awesome campaign, awesome online with RPG like leveling up made it addicting.

Maybe for consoles but not PC.

@Sevenizz said:

CoD is one of gaming’s most polished franchises. In an age where launch days are buggy or broken, CoD launches with ease each year. This goes for a smooth campaign and online experience. It’s production value is insane.

A great deal of hate the franchise experiences is from online multiplayer. It’s not easy or forgiving to newcomers. CoD is one of the few games that actually takes skill to be good. It’s fast paced so younger people with quicker reflexes surprisingly do well. This pisses off older folk because they feel insulted that they got ‘owned’ by a 12 year old. Said 12 year olds tend to act 12 in voice chat as well so CoD takes a hit there too.

The best way to play CoD is with friends or Clubs you can find on Xbox which weeds out the more immature players and you can play with adults.

Most people who ‘hate’ CoD are simply not good at it.

A game with regenerating health, grenade indicators, and kill cams doesn't seem like a game that qualifies to take skill. Have you ever played the older BF games pre Bad Company era on PC or counter strike? those games took skill you couldn't sit in a corner and wait for your health to regenerate and you didn't have grenade indicators or perks no gimmicks needed it actually took team work it wasn't one big mindless death match with gimmicks.

@ghosts4ever said:

It's influenced also ruined so many franchises that where great like Medal of Honor, Battlefield, F.E.A.R., Crysis you look at those games pre COD4 and then after a dumbing down effect destroyed those series.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Nothing. First 2 CoDs were cool for what they were, but didn't care for any games in the series after that.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58954 Posts

It had RPG elements in MP that encouraged getting rewarded for not having skill.

Game critics felt rewarded.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

No one cares what you think, sniper.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Had a great story and levels and a solid online.

It has the FF7 sydrome that it was amazing at that time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0a4c3876874
deactivated-5d0a4c3876874

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5d0a4c3876874
Member since 2019 • 180 Posts

I remember Actman talked about some great aspects of COD 4 in his "Why was COD MW2 so awesome" video.

Loading Video...

I think you better ask this question from real COD fans than random guys on the internet.(Which majority of them hate COD due to their jealousy.)

Edit: Also some people may say that COD was never that competitive but it had so much variety and random moments in multiplayer that many people enjoyed. Not every game needs to be a balanced multiplayer experience to be fun to play.

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

@ajstyles: you got it backwards bro. Halo was popular 1st until cod 4 came out

And halo hasn't been the best since

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Livecommander

@Sevenizz: I couldn't off said it better myself. It's either they ain't good or they dont live in a house with stable internet lol

They the type to never play over 5 sensitivity and think spawn spots should stay the same 24 7 lol

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

@Livecommander: I don’t have anything backwards. That is exactly what I said. Learn to read Bro.

Goldeneye007 started couch multiplayer for shooters. Halo became the next big thing for couch shooters. Then Halo went online and everyone played that until CoD4 took over.

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Livecommander

You got it , are you buying the new one ?

Blazepanzer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Blazepanzer24
Member since 2018 • 437 Posts

Well, for me the Visuals and play style where amazing! Course I got mine back in 2008 for about $35 used and for the PS3, which looks rather dated now but back then it was amazing!

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

Before COD4:MW, most military FPS games were set in WW2 and it had been done to death, but COD did stand out as one of the better series by then anyways, making reflex iron sights a thing and generally being better than their competition.

But its online MP was also a big deal for console gaming. What this game achieved for itself at the time had a big impact on industry, other makers of FPS games followed its lead by making modern day military shooters. It also made every publisher want to tack on an online mode in hopes of having similar success, and the ability to charge for MP expansions and put industry on track for more ambitious post-release monitization.

It is a significant game in this regard, was even a good game in its time. But people conflate its importance and historical significance with having a timeless quality that few games can match.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

Compare to BF it's because it's infantry only and no vehicule. Which make a good gameplay.

After that, it's for the killstreak and all the rest of the side stuff like the customization that is good in the newest COD.