BLACK OPS officially the biggest game in U.S. HISTORY

• 155 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SHR3DD3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SHR3DD3D
Member since 2011 • 889 Posts

U.S. sales near 14 million.

It only took four months, but Call of Duty: Black Ops has already taken the top spot as the best-selling game in U.S. history.

Since its release in November, Black Ops sold 13.7 million units in the U.S. combined across Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC, Wii, and Nintendo DS, according to retail tracking firm NPD.

Below is the latest, best-selling list of video games in the U.S. to date as provided by NPD:

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops
2. Wii Play W/ Remote
3. Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
4. Guitar Hero III Legends Of Rock
5. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
6. Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
7. Mario Kart w/ Wheel
8. New Super Mario Bros
9. Wii Fit
10. Call Of Duty: World At War

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Congratulations to Treyarch and Activision. It's an incredibly fun game, and one of the few shooters I like :)
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

And there is really only one game on that list worth playing. What a crying shame.

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

Thats..... meh.

Better FPS series out there. Kind of a shame.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

And there is really only one game on that list worth playing. What a crying shame.

DarkLink77
Which one? :P
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

charizard1605

San Andreas.
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

charizard1605

for me it has to be GTA SA, or CoD4.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

San Andreas.

I would beg to differ, as I also believe that New Super Mario Bros and Mario Kart are equally fun and long lasing (hence the reason that they STILL SELL). Also, Black Ops is fun. Good enough to be the top selling game of the US? Not at all, no. But it's still a lot of fun. But we disagree on that :P
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Which one? :P

San Andreas.

I would beg to differ, as I also believe that New Super Mario Bros and Mario Kart are equally fun and long lasing (hence the reason that they STILL SELL). Also, Black Ops is fun. Good enough to be the top selling game of the US? Not at all, no. But it's still a lot of fun. But we disagree on that :P

I never said the game was bad. I like Black Ops for what it is. But there are many better shooters out there. As for Mario Kart Wii and NSMB, there are better games in each franchise.
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

NB4 SW complaining

Well, atleast it deserves it more than Wii play.:P

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DarkLink77

NB4 SW complaining

dercoo

Not at all, brah. Beat you to it. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] San Andreas.

I never said the game was bad. I like Black Ops for what it is. But there are many better shooters out there. As for Mario Kart Wii and NSMB, there are better games in each franchise.

True on both counts. Mario Kart DS was the best entry in the franchise, and NSMB is the weakest entry in the sidescrolling Mario series. However, they're all fun games, and I don't begrudge them their successes.
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

That list is dominated by Call of Duty and casual Nintendo titles.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] I would beg to differ, as I also believe that New Super Mario Bros and Mario Kart are equally fun and long lasing (hence the reason that they STILL SELL). Also, Black Ops is fun. Good enough to be the top selling game of the US? Not at all, no. But it's still a lot of fun. But we disagree on that :P

True on both counts. Mario Kart DS was the best entry in the franchise, and NSMB is the weakest entry in the sidescrolling Mario series. However, they're all fun games, and I don't begrudge them their successes.

The best Mario Kart game is obviously Double Dash, man. You crazy. :P And weren't we supposed to have some Pokemon conversation at some point? Kind of surprised that's not on there, tbh.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] I never said the game was bad. I like Black Ops for what it is. But there are many better shooters out there. As for Mario Kart Wii and NSMB, there are better games in each franchise.

The best Mario Kart game is obviously Double Dash, man. You crazy. :P And weren't we supposed to have some Pokemon conversation at some point? Kind of surprised that's not on there, tbh.

Double Dash was a good start, but I was disappointed at its execution, and at the fact that Nintendo never followed up on it. And about Pokemon... WELL STOP BEING SO CRITICAL OF BLACK AND WHITE, THEY'RE EXCELLENT GAMES! :evil: :P
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] True on both counts. Mario Kart DS was the best entry in the franchise, and NSMB is the weakest entry in the sidescrolling Mario series. However, they're all fun games, and I don't begrudge them their successes.

Double Dash was a good start, but I was disappointed at its execution, and at the fact that Nintendo never followed up on it. And about Pokemon... WELL STOP BEING SO CRITICAL OF BLACK AND WHITE, THEY'RE EXCELLENT GAMES! :evil: :P

Double Dash is the most fun I've ever had with a Mario Kart game. Therefore, it is the best one. I wish it had gotten a sequel. :( Also, I don't think I've been overly critical of Black and White, I'm just bored of Pokemon, which isn't too uncommon for me. Very few game series can keep me interested long term, and the fact that Pokemon managed to do it for a decade is a testament to the franchise's quality. I just can't do it anymore. For me, the franchise peaked at Gold and Silver.
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I seriously wonder if the Tc created this thread to brag about BO sales to the haters. Seriously MKWii(even thugh it's a bit cheap at times) and NSMB deserve way higher sales than BO. If a publisher doesn't get theirdeveloper's to actually test out or fix the issues plauging a game quickly after release or before release they don't deserve high sales numbers. They will also have to treat their customers with respect. I seriously don't see Activision doing any of that.

dvalo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 dvalo9
Member since 2010 • 1301 Posts
america really likes call of duty.
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

This is pretty great news. There is now conclusive evidence that sales =/= quality.

MrJack3690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MrJack3690
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

San Andreas.

Hellls Yeah! 8)

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 super600  Moderator

This is pretty great news. There is now conclusive evidence that sales =/= quality.

Pug-Nasty

So true! I wonder if the COD fanboys will at least start to complain to Activision to make a perfectly functional disk(Wii version) and to fix all the issues that crop up in each COD game that was released for the past couple of years.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts
Lol, MW2 and WaW are still on the list. This just goes to show you what commercials and advertising does for games in the US. These people will buy anything that looks flashy on TV.
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

Lol, MW2 and WaW are still on the list. This just goes to show you what commercials and advertising does for games in the US. These people will buy anything that looks flashy on TV.DragonfireXZ95

I'm pretty sure that's not limited to the US. Certain things appeal to different cultures.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
america really likes call of duty.dvalo9
They also "Really liked" Guitar hero, look where that got the series after a few too many releases.
gamedude234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 gamedude234
Member since 2009 • 2558 Posts

Does that include handhelds?

anyway, another thing i want to add is the decline of Halo. Halo 1, 2,3, and even ODST managed to stay in the top ten for a really long time, while reach is no where to seen.also, this will only make the negative influence COD has over the FPS industry continue. Look at resistance, KZ, and more are all becoming CODilized

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#26 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]Lol, MW2 and WaW are still on the list. This just goes to show you what commercials and advertising does for games in the US. These people will buy anything that looks flashy on TV.

You don't think it has anything to do with people genuinely having fun with these games?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] The best Mario Kart game is obviously Double Dash, man. You crazy. :P And weren't we supposed to have some Pokemon conversation at some point? Kind of surprised that's not on there, tbh.

Double Dash is the most fun I've ever had with a Mario Kart game. Therefore, it is the best one. I wish it had gotten a sequel. :( Also, I don't think I've been overly critical of Black and White, I'm just bored of Pokemon, which isn't too uncommon for me. Very few game series can keep me interested long term, and the fact that Pokemon managed to do it for a decade is a testament to the franchise's quality. I just can't do it anymore. For me, the franchise peaked at Gold and Silver.

Well, at least we can agree that it's disappointing that they didn't give i a direct sequel :P Also, try Black and White, man. I was with you in that I believed that the franchise peaked around Gold and Silver (which until recently, were in my top 3 games of all time, and were the best handheld games ever in my opinion). However, Black and White are too good- simply put, it's a case of play it to believe it. I actually recommend you play these ones at all costs- you won't regret it, I promise.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 vashkey

anyway, another thing i want to add is the decline of Halo. Halo 1, 2,3, and even ODST managed to stay in the top ten for a really long time, while reach is no where to seen.also, this will only make the negative influence COD has over the FPS industry continue. Look at resistance, KZ, and more are all becoming CODilized

gamedude234

This is the top ten sold in America, ever. Halo was never in that list. Reach has already outsold ODST and Combat Evolved. Halo isn't on a decline. It's not going to outsell Halo 2 and 3 within a matter of six months.

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

the only thing that can kill cod is itself...and it's starting to happen now

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 vashkey

the only thing that can kill cod is itself...and it's starting to happen now

eboyishere

Oh yeah, I mean the newest game in a series being the best selling game in the US ever within mere months after release is a sure sign that your franchise is killing itself.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#31 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Whoever did the marketing gets a pat in the back and a huge paycheck. Black Ops check, Eminem track check, hit play, boys! = 14 million sold. WAW at #10? Wow... I know it's a COD game but I didn't think it did THAT well. Golf clap. Funny how Guitar Hero went from numero uno to no more. What a pity.
gamedude234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 gamedude234
Member since 2009 • 2558 Posts

[QUOTE="gamedude234"]

vashkey

This is the top ten sold in America, ever. Halo was never in that list. Reach has already outsold ODST and Combat Evolved. Halo isn't on a decline. It's not going to outsell Halo 2 and 3 within a matter of six months.

Halo 2 sales: 8.46 million

Halo 3 sales: 10 million ish

Halo 3: ODST sales: 4 million

Halo Reach sales: 200 million dollars worth in one day(thats all i could find)

well, now that i think of it, you're right. But there's no denying that halo has lost its position of most popular FPS, like in the halo 2-3 days. and in reach, I find certain playlists having only 600 players(arena, DLC, objective). Slayer has a lot though.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#33 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
World at War at #10. Does anyone have a real sales figure? I'm just curious.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 vashkey

[QUOTE="vashkey"]

[QUOTE="gamedude234"]

gamedude234

Halo 2 sales: 8.46 million

Halo 3 sales: 10 million ish

Halo 3: ODST sales: 4 million

Halo Reach sales: 200 million dollars worth in one day(thats all i could find)

well, now that i think of it, you're right. But there's no denying that halo has lost its position of most popular FPS, like in the halo 2-3 days. and in reach, I find certain playlists having only 600 players(arena, DLC, objective). Slayer has a lot though.

The only game it's behind is Call of Duty. Halo was never as popular as Call of Duty is now. If Halo has lost popularity, it's not a whole lot.
omho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 omho88
Member since 2007 • 3967 Posts

This is actually very very sad, NA is no differnt from JPN, both are niche in their gaming choices.

SHR3DD3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SHR3DD3D
Member since 2011 • 889 Posts

Haters, please stop hating.

The best-selling game in U.S. history. Deal with it.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 super600  Moderator

SHR3DD3D

Seriously TC!

useLOGIC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 useLOGIC
Member since 2006 • 2802 Posts

Pug-Nasty

we've had proof of that since the wii was released!

/burn

useLOGIC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 useLOGIC

SHR3DD3D

lol? way to prove your ethnocentrism. sorry every non-american who MAY BE reading this thread.

dvalo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dvalo9
Member since 2010 • 1301 Posts

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="SHR3DD3D"]

useLOGIC

Seriously TC!

lol? way to prove your ethnocentrism. sorry every non-american who MAY BE reading this thread.

it's popular in europe too but is overshaddowed by fifa as the must have console game :)
useLOGIC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 useLOGIC

[QUOTE="useLOGIC"]

[QUOTE="super600"]

Seriously TC!

dvalo9

it's popular in europe too but is overshaddowed by fifa as the must have console game :)

did you miss my point? its ethnocentric to mention its u.s. lineage when applying pwnage. he fails.

jlevin860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jlevin860
Member since 2009 • 818 Posts

[QUOTE="SHR3DD3D"]

useLOGIC

ummm that is what the article said. not the top ten best selling in the WORLD, just in the US.

but you go on and try to sound smart, when really you just made the U.S. look like a tard since you can't even read from top to bottom...

useLOGIC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 useLOGIC

[QUOTE="useLOGIC"]

[QUOTE="SHR3DD3D"]

jlevin860

ummm that is what the article said. not the top ten best selling in the WORLD, just in the US.

but you go on and try to sound smart, when really you just made the U.S. look like a tard since you can't even read from top to bottom...

i stand corrected. it happens.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
gorgeous sales
PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

'biggest game'? no. most cost-effective game? that sounds more like it, its small as hell.

shutdown_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 shutdown_202
Member since 2005 • 5649 Posts

I wonder if COD will survive the next gen jump. Most of the best sellers from a previous gen do well next, but no longer stay at the top.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

I wonder if COD will survive the next gen jump. Most of the best sellers from a previous gen do well next, but no longer stay at the top.

shutdown_202
Thats if it even makes it to next gen before Activision squeezes the life out of the franchise. They have what 3 studios all working on CoD games?
godsendBLISS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 godsendBLISS
Member since 2011 • 345 Posts

[QUOTE="shutdown_202"]

Jynxzor

Thats if it even makes it to next gen before Activision squeezes the life out of the franchise. They have what 3 studios all working on CoD games?

popularity does not equal greatness. i don't care what that list saids. i own every call of duty game, and quite frankly hate the series due to its popularity. it's fun with high production values, but whatever. i'm call of ditied out. i'd rather play battlefield, which is the better game.:D

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

And so I cry a little inside for those gamers. Not saying COD is horrible but its far from the best.