Bioshock Infinite's ending ruining all games endings for me (no spoilers)

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#1 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

If I can't mention spoilers I can't really comment.
[spoiler]
Maybe it's because I have been busy with the roots of reality and multidimensional travel and such, but I really wasn't blown away by the ending. The only thing that really surprised me was you being the bad guy. That felt kinda unnecesary and out of nowhere.
[/spoiler]
I thought the ending was fine but I don't understand what part of the ending blew you away. Do you mean the way it was told? Or was there something specific that just got to you? Can you be more specific?

This is actually quite important for me because I was working on something to alter the minds of people, and if my experience is so unalligned with that of others I cannot tell whether people will just give up or understand it naturally or be surprised by it.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]Agree, can't think of any other game that comes even close. KungfuKitten
What was the best part of it then? What wow-ed you?

Lol I won't bother discussing things like that on SW. You will just reply in some condescending way so you can look/feel smart. There are much better boards for these kinds of discussions :).

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KungfuKitten

[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]Agree, can't think of any other game that comes even close. Sushiglutton

Lol I won't bother discussing things like that on SW. You will just reply in some condescending way so you can look/feel smart. There are much better boards for these kinds of discussions :).

Oy! I'm not that evil. Well not that kind of evil.
I just can't imagine what it would have been like to go through the story as someone more normal than I am.

Like was there something you didn't realize until you got to that point in the game and was like 'woah', or 'bravo'?
I'm not claiming that I saw everything coming in the story. I was just like 'Ah ok, so that happened.' And it didn't do a lot for me.
I'm more interested in what went through your mind. If I were able to I would have liked to have read your mind while playing the game so that I could understand what was interesting about it or a revelation that made you think about things.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sushiglutton

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]

[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"] What was the best part of it then? What wow-ed you?KungfuKitten

Oy! I'm not that evil. Well not that kind of evil.
I just can't imagine what it would have been like to go through the story as someone more normal than I am.

Like was there something you didn't realize until you got to that point in the game and was like 'woah', or 'bravo'?
I'm not claiming that I saw everything coming in the story. I was just like 'Ah ok, so that happened.' And it didn't do a lot for me.
I'm more interested in what went through your mind. If I were able to I would have liked to have read your mind while playing the game so that I could understand what was interesting about it or a revelation that made you think about things.

Short version is that the ending changed the interpretation of pretty much every scene in the game. And when you go thorough it all again, it makes sense and it feels so obvious. I mean it's like a magic trick. Ofc if you saw the magician hiding the dove underneath the table the magic is lost. So I can understand that if you saw it all coming it didn't work for you. I saw none of the things coming. I was in the perfect mood to just take in the ending fully :). Just the start of the ending, going back to Rapture, sent so many chills down my spine that I allready was in wonderland lol.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KungfuKitten

Sushiglutton
Careful for spoilers for the silly people who still haven't played it.
So yeah I think I completely missed that human sensation of 'wow this changes the things I have seen earlier.'
[spoiler]
I think the same thing that happened to some people at Giantbomb happened to me. Once they used the idea of multiple dimensions everything could happen. All doors were unhinged. So from that moment on nothing really wowed me anymore. And I didn't feel like the ending changed my interpretation of anything earlier in the game. Like, the protagonist acts on everything as good as he can from the beginning of the game. It doesn't change anything that he turned into evil santa claus in a different walk of life.
[/spoiler]
That said I do think it was a really good game and I liked everything about it more so than Bioshock 1, except maybe the bad guy. I kinda preferred the Bioshock 1 bad guy because he's so much like me.

vanadiel242424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 vanadiel242424
Member since 2004 • 1795 Posts

The amount of effort, storytelling, and downright brilliant pacing for it's ending, truly made all endings of games I played before simply blah in comparison, basically ruining them because they lack the polish infinite's had.

I have never seen a game have such an ending that made you basically wonder SERIOUSLY WHAT THE HELL just happened, and forced yourself to google it.

I played Bioshock 1, never played 2, but this game makes me wanna play the previous games, it;s brilliant.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

The amount of effort, storytelling, and downright brilliant pacing for it's ending, truly made all endings of games I played before simply blah in comparison, basically ruining them because they lack the polish infinite's had.

I have never seen a game have such an ending that made you basically wonder SERIOUSLY WHAT THE HELL just happened, and forced yourself to google it.

I played Bioshock 1, never played 2, but this game makes me wanna play the previous games, it;s brilliant.

vanadiel242424
So...you're saying you liked it? And yeah, I agree
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sushiglutton
Agree, can't think of any other game that comes even close.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Agree, can't think of any other game that comes even close. Sushiglutton

metal gear solid 3 ending still beats bioshock infinite ending, without having to resort to multiple realities and timelines, but it is pretty high in the good endings list.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

vanadiel242424

Doesn't sound like a good ending to me. If it was that vague that you had to google what the hell happened, the f*ck kind of ending is that? 

Oh well, i gotta play the game and see for my self wen the time comes.  

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KungfuKitten
Agree, can't think of any other game that comes even close. Sushiglutton
Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Supabul
Member since 2004 • 4266 Posts

I'd rather have a really tough boss to beat

ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ActionRemix
Member since 2011 • 5640 Posts

Did we play the same game or did I play an alternate Bioshock Infinite from another universe with a hysterical ending?

starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts
As someone who's been exposed a lot to certain Japanese media where this kinda multi-dimensional storylines are common, I didn't really feel that Bioshock Infinite was anything special at all. I have a feeling that people rate it highly for the multi-dimension thing and What The F*CK? factor alone.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KungfuKitten
As someone who's been exposed a lot to certain Japanese media where this kinda multi-dimensional storylines are common, I didn't really feel that Bioshock Infinite was anything special at all. I have a feeling that people rate it highly for the multi-dimension thing and What The F*CK? factor alone.starjet905
Right YES FINALLY! That is fantastic! You felt the same way I felt now I'm not alone anymore! ::dances with starjet::
musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

Inb4texasruinsthread.

I agree I played it 3 times back to back and hunted down every voxiphone in the game, the truly amazing thing is how I kept noticing "things" This might be a bit of a stretch but Elizabeth is a little sister( she wears the same clour scheme as some little sisters) and also when she ressurects Booker when he dies the syringe looks suspiciously like the syringes little sisters carry, and obviously if Elizabeth is a little sister Booker must be a big daddy sicne he is protecting her.......or am I just reading too much into things? :oops:

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
Oh god any game with a weird ending that could have million explanations is somehow considered "amazing" ....
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
agreed and the only two games which came close was bio 1 and mass effect 1.
dracolich55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dracolich55
Member since 2010 • 2343 Posts
...Not only that, but to me Bioshock Infinite was so close to perfection in all aspects that, I don't even feel like playing games in general anymore after my 2nd run through.
zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#21 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

I wasn't really blown away by the ending because once Multi-dimensions came into it i knew anything was possible. I still enjoyed seeing it all unroll but i was never really mind blown by any of it because i knew that i could expect anything to happen by the very nature of what Multiple dimensions can entail.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Did we play the same game or did I play an alternate Bioshock Infinite from another universe with a hysterical ending?

ActionRemix

..............   Yeah I don't get it either.. The "twist" was heavily hinted and given away literally half way in to two thirds of the way within the game.. How the hell were people blown away by the ending? It was discombobulated and literally drew completely away half way in with the actual society it self in it being a ultra nationalist and xenophobic early 20th century America..  Probably the most interesting part of the setting, seeing as outside of that it was nothing we hadn't seen similar of in the last two Bioshocks.

Peredith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Peredith
Member since 2011 • 2289 Posts

vanadiel242424

Only if you weren't paying attention to the rest of the game. I saw the "twist" coming from miles away.

Peredith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Peredith

As someone who's been exposed a lot to certain Japanese media where this kinda multi-dimensional storylines are common, I didn't really feel that Bioshock Infinite was anything special at all. I have a feeling that people rate it highly for the multi-dimension thing and What The F*CK? factor alone.starjet905

People need to read more books. Someone even said Bioshock Infinites storytelling was legendary :lol: I know the majority of stories in games are fvcking terrible, and we should applaud good stories, but come the fvck on people.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
The ending was pretty good. An exposition dump, with some heavily flawed internal logic - but the way it hits and ties things back around is very interesting and in a way well done I'd say. The meta-ness as a commentary about storytelling and games is also a brilliant part of it. That being said I preferred the detestable attitude and grit of Spec Ops - which hit similar themes, minus the wacky sci fi and digital waifu replaces with machismo army edgy. The best thing ever? Hell no I'd say, by a long shot. From Red Dead Redemption, Metal Gear Solid 3 to Shadow of the Colossus and so on, those are just a few hit a a lot harder then Infinite did for me, even if they didn't dive into Science Fiction Dr Who territory.
[QUOTE="starjet905"]As someone who's been exposed a lot to certain Japanese media where this kinda multi-dimensional storylines are common, I didn't really feel that Bioshock Infinite was anything special at all. I have a feeling that people rate it highly for the multi-dimension thing and What The F*CK? factor alone.KungfuKitten
Right YES FINALLY! That is fantastic! You felt the same way I felt now I'm not alone anymore! ::dances with starjet::

Don't watch a lot of anime, but in science fiction it's nothing new, these kind of stories meddling with multiverses date back decades, and probably the most popular fiction examples are Star Trek and Dr Who, which deal with the implications of parallel universes and time travel quite a bit.
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
I feel people are so STARVED for good endings they're over blowing this one.But I get it, every FPS has a crap ending so when a good one shows up people blow their loads all over it. But really from a storytelling point of view it's weak and spends the whole time EXPLAINING and explaining. Not the sign of a good ending in my opinion. I DON'T like being left in the dark for hours and hours only to be info dumped at the end like some sort of AH-HA!
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bread_or_Decide
My favorite ending besides MGS4 is DEADLY PREMONITION. Now that's a mystery that kept me guessing until the very end. Great ending and not just because of the reveals or twists.
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bread_or_Decide

I'd rather have a really tough boss to beat

Supabul
Another FPS with horrible boss battle syndrome. Ugh. How was anyone okay with that final battle?
SuddenlySudden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SuddenlySudden
Member since 2013 • 618 Posts

vanadiel242424
UC2>BI>Laracroft>you
moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="vanadiel242424"]

Lucianu

Doesn't sound like a good ending to me. If it was that vague that you had to google what the hell happened, the f*ck kind of ending is that?

Thing is... if you pay very close attention to everything in the game, you can figure it out yourself.... but on your first play through you are bound to miss some stuff, hence the reason for googling after the credits roll.

On your 2nd playthrough, things that are said and things that happen that didn't seem to really mean anything are suddenly clear. Again, it's not a game for neanderthals that only play CoD.

I would compare Bioshock Infinite to a film like The Sixth Sense.... only Bioshock is more complicated. You can watch The Sixth Sense and not pick up on a lot of things, that are very clear to you, once you know the end.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
My favorite ending besides MGS4 is DEADLY PREMONITION. Now that's a mystery that kept me guessing until the very end. Great ending and not just because of the reveals or twists. Bread_or_Decide
Don't get me wrong I have tons of affection for Deadly Premonition - played through the single setting with a few bros, watched the entire GB longplay, but the game absolutely loses the plot in the end, in possibly the worst (or arguably the best) way possible, the Red World stuff, the 'Ulllltimate Poooower', it was like Swery finally decided '**** it, it needs to be as cataclysmic-ly Anime stupid possible' in that last fourty minutes. Which really sucked as things escalated from the fantastic Clocktower fight to FK Gaben turning into giant hellspawn that Zack fights in demon hell. In a sense it was an exposition dump just like Infinite, hell some of the character revelations and logic spins fit. That being said I didn't like MGS4's either (Mt Snakemore, more Johnny, the wedding scene, big boss is back guys, what a wacky thing that was snake is still being snake' , but I have a lot of problems with that game in general. On the topic of Japanese I think Catherine had a fairly excellent ending and final chapter, particularly how all the alternate endings worked out.
Avatar image for ShoulderOfOrion
ShoulderOfOrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ShoulderOfOrion
Member since 2013 • 3379 Posts

Forcing yourself to look for alternative sources to try and understand what happened isn't good storytelling.

Stringerboy
fadersdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 fadersdream
Member since 2006 • 3154 Posts

I liked the after the credit bit.

They beat Schroedinger's cat to death though.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Bread_or_Decide
Also one of its twist was already done in Infamous.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Also one of its twist was already done in Infamous. Bread_or_Decide

Which actually KEPT IT AS a twist for the end, instead of heavily hint it directly or indirectly numerous times in.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Agreed, Bioshock Infinite was the first game in awhile where I actually cared about the story and thought the ending was good. To The Moon was the one prior to it but that game was essentially a visual novel

starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts
[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"] Right YES FINALLY! That is fantastic! You felt the same way I felt now I'm not alone anymore! ::dances with starjet::

Heh. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game, but I felt that the story is not as mind blowingly special as people made it out to be. When it ended, I just thought "hey, this was a pretty cool game" and that was that. I collected all the voxphones on my first playthrough itself, so I now have no reason to play it again either. Bioshock Infinite is good, but it isn't one of a kind or as mindblowing as people make it out to be. If someone does feel that, that just means they haven't played very many story driven games.
Peredith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Peredith

[QUOTE="Peredith"]

[QUOTE="vanadiel242424"]

seanmcloughlin

Only if you weren't paying attention to the rest of the game. I saw the "twist" coming from miles away.

I'm sure you saw some of it coming as it's a basic thing to happen with time trvale stories, but I doubt you saw every part of it coming. 

• Booker mentioning Anna numerous times
  • Booker has AD on hand
  • Comstock is sterile
  • Booker was a massive racist
  • Multi Universes

It wasn't rocket science :?

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I agree, after I finished it I didn't play anything else for 4 days. Literally. Everything else seemed boring or crap in comparison. Same thing happened after I played Dark Souls the first time

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
The game isn't anywhere as good as SS2 or even the original Bioshock.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

[QUOTE="vanadiel242424"]

Peredith

I was actually ashamed of myself during my second play through that I didn't see it coming after all the allusions and subtle hints that are given.
Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Frostbite24
Member since 2003 • 4536 Posts

[QUOTE="vanadiel242424"]

Lucianu

I completely understood the ending. There were tons of hints and references throughout the game. Really well done by Irrational.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="vanadiel242424"]

Peredith

I'm sure you saw some of it coming as it's a basic thing to happen with time trvale stories, but I doubt you saw every part of it coming. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="starjet905"]As someone who's been exposed a lot to certain Japanese media where this kinda multi-dimensional storylines are common, I didn't really feel that Bioshock Infinite was anything special at all. I have a feeling that people rate it highly for the multi-dimension thing and What The F*CK? factor alone.Peredith

People need to read more books. Someone even said Bioshock Infinites storytelling was legendary :lol: I know the majority of stories in games are fvcking terrible, and we should applaud good stories, but come the fvck on people.

comparing books to videogame stories is fvckin dumb anyway. A medium where it's ALL about story, plot, characters and narrative vs. a medium where you are given actual control of a character and still try to have a good story written around them are two completely opposite things.

Of course books have better stories and writing, that's what books are for. Stop trying to sound smart and above everything

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I completely understood the ending. There were tons of hints and references throughout the game. Really well done by Irrational.Frostbite24

Yeah, i understood that it's all subjective and based on how much you pay attention.

To bad i can't f*cking play it yet. Damn..  

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
sweet blog bro
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

I found the ending to be somewhat dissapointing. The ideas there were great, but the pacing was completely wrong and caused those ideas to lose a lot of it's power.

Magescrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Magescrew
Member since 2008 • 541 Posts
Nothing beats Mass Effect 2's ending. The sequence from the Omega 4 Relay until the Reapers fire up their engines heading to the Milky Way is godlike.