BF3 will not feature an in-game server browser for the PC version.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
Oh, so now ease of use matters? Now something that works, but could be done better in a purpose-built interface, isn't good enough? When did this happen?
Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts
[QUOTE="Randoggy"]

So they don't have matchmaking, which the PC people don't want. Now you get the ability to join what ever server you want and just because you have to do it through a browser you're going to complain.

USBxDVD
Are you crazy? We lose a feature that almost all PC games have and we shouldnt complain? What is wrong with you?

Would you rather your precious match making?
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

[QUOTE="Randoggy"]

So they don't have matchmaking, which the PC people don't want. Now you get the ability to join what ever server you want and just because you have to do it through a browser you're going to complain.

Iantheone

Its a waste of RAM and resources. It matters a lot in resource heavy games. I do 70-80FPS in BC2 and when I have my browser open I do around 30-40FPS.

I'm begining to get the feeling that this game is being rushed out. Hell, even MoH had an in-game browser. Or nobody would have used Battlelog if the game did have an in-game browser so they're going to force you to. Also this adds on to the list of reasons why BF3 isn't on Steam.

**** this game I won't be buying it.

Lol having a browser open wont ruin your FPS that much. I was playing BC2 last night at 50+ FPS while running multiple tabs, windows media player, terreria and a server for terreria.

It does for me. I'm not going to buy another 2GB's of RAM just for one game because the asshat publisher wants to beat CoD at its own game....

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts

It does for me. I'm not going to buy another 2GB's of RAM just for one game because the asshat publisher wants to beat CoD at its own game....

Jebus213
What are your specs? Cause I highly doubt that you can run BC2 at such high FPS, but have it destroyed by a simple browser.
USBxDVD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 USBxDVD
Member since 2011 • 520 Posts
[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="Randoggy"][QUOTE="millerlight89"] Am I not aloud to complain about something :? Are you content with everything thrown at you ?

I never said you weren't allowed to complain, complain all you want. I just find it funny that you guys want to be able to select what server you want to play, they gave you that ability and yet you still complain.

You don't seem to understand the concept of what's going on. That's ok though. I want to select a server IN GAME, not minimize it to find one. It's really quite simple to understand if you would stop trying to get a rise out of others, and concentrate on the problem at hand. Alas, you probably will continue what you are doing so full steam ahead bro.

Just ignore him. Hes one of "those" guys. Happy with everything and complains about nothing because it would be unloyal to demand or complain.
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#57 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

Iantheone

What are your specs? Cause I highly doubt that you can run BC2 at such high FPS, but have it destroyed by a simple browser.

You obviously don't know how much RAM Google Chrome eats up. It can easily eat up 2GB. Sure, I have 5GB of RAM, but still. Browsers, even when idle, eat up a fair bit of CPU time. Especially on mobile processors.

USBxDVD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 USBxDVD
[QUOTE="USBxDVD"][QUOTE="Randoggy"]

Randoggy
Are you crazy? We lose a feature that almost all PC games have and we shouldnt complain? What is wrong with you?

Nobody brought up matchmaking. Only you did and I have no idea why. Is it because MW2 had it or something? So youre one of the people who brings up MW2 in every FPS thread. So IW took a step back and now you have lower standards? PC games have always had the ability to pick your own dedicated server IN GAME.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Jebus213

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

Iantheone

AMD Radeon 6870

4GB's of DDR3 RAM

Phenom II x4 965 3.4GHz

I play at 1440x900. I haven't found a reason to get a new monitor yet. I really like playing all my games maxed out right now :P

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts

[QUOTE="Iantheone"][QUOTE="Jebus213"] What are your specs? Cause I highly doubt that you can run BC2 at such high FPS, but have it destroyed by a simple browser. The_Capitalist

You obviously don't know how much RAM Google Chrome eats up. It can easily eat up 2GB. Sure, I have 5GB of RAM, but still. Browsers, even when idle, eat up a fair bit of CPU time. Especially on mobile processors.

Well then stop using chrome :P Never had any such problem with ff.

AMD Radeon 6870

4GB's of DDR3 RAM

Phenom II x4 965 3.4GHz

I play at 1440x900. I haven't found a reason to get a new monitor yet. I really like playing all my games maxed out right now :P

Jebus213
Pretty much the same as I have, except I play at 720p with a 4890. Games look fine enough for me, so thats why I havent gotten a new monitor either. Either way, you shouldnt be getting that much aof a hit from just a browser.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 lowe0

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]I actually like matchmaking, so far though only halo does it right with the start of each game finding a match and thats it, its your match people can't just come and go, but I still prefer CoD's matchmaking over server browsers any day.Ginosaji

This is certainly an odd preference that I just can't seem to grasp.

Matchmaking is essentially just a forced quick join with added criteria to match players based on an arbitrarily calculated "skill level." It can only adequately function with a reasonably high player population, necessitating limited variety and a lack of alternatives (see Halo's limited and ever-dwindling playlist selection, and seemingly arbitrary inability to publicly broadcast custom games). A server browser with a quick join button provides much the same functionality without those downfalls.

You're missing an important distinction... even assuming that the "join game" button is able to find me a server populated with a full game of players at exactly my skill level, what keeps it that way? When someone quits the game, what stops a player with many hours under their belt and all of the unlocks from replacing them and unbalancing the game? Without the ability to ensure a relatively even match, no, it's nowhere near the same functionality as true skill-based matchmaking.

Being able to get a good match is worth the extra wait as the server does its work. Not everyone will agree with me on that tradeoff, but not everyone has to. There are plenty of developers doing it your way as well; feel free to purchase games from them.

Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Plagueless
Member since 2010 • 2569 Posts
[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="_VenomX"] I really thought you meant we want matchmaking XD. Anyways.. It's fine with me aslong I don't have to open origin then open battlelog too.. If I could run the game through Battlelog it's fine. I have a feeling it's about hacking protection and/or piracy.Iantheone
I actually like matchmaking, so far though only halo does it right with the start of each game finding a match and thats it, its your match people can't just come and go, but I still prefer CoD's matchmaking over server browsers any day.

My experience with MW2 has completely destroyed any good my mind had for matchmaking. Wait 10 minutes to find a host, then get disconnected and wait another 10 minutes. Be in a party with more than one friend and all be put into different games/one cant connect for some reason etc. Cod4, search servers, join. Done in about 10 seconds of searching.

You need to experience Halo Reach's matchmaking. In comparison with CoD, there is probably a 98% less chance of getting disconnected. The only hiccups in gameplay is the occasional host migration (also far less often than CoD) I actually think Halo Reach has the best matchmaking of ANY game, anywhere, because most PC games are ded-server based.
Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Randoggy

[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="Randoggy"][QUOTE="millerlight89"]
Am I not aloud to complain about something :? Are you content with everything thrown at you ?USBxDVD

I never said you weren't allowed to complain, complain all you want. I just find it funny that you guys want to be able to select what server you want to play, they gave you that ability and yet you still complain.

You don't seem to understand the concept of what's going on. That's ok though. I want to select a server IN GAME, not minimize it to find one. It's really quite simple to understand if you would stop trying to get a rise out of others, and concentrate on the problem at hand. Alas, you probably will continue what you are doing so full steam ahead bro.

Just ignore him. Hes one of "those" guys. Happy with everything and complains about nothing because it would be unloyal to demand or complain.

Yep that's me. I love being able to chose which server I play in just as much as the next guy.

[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="Randoggy"][QUOTE="millerlight89"]
Am I not aloud to complain about something :? Are you content with everything thrown at you ?USBxDVD

Yep that's me. I love being able to chose which server I play in just as much as the next guy.

[QUOTE="Randoggy"][QUOTE="USBxDVD"][QUOTE="Randoggy"]

USBxDVD

Nobody brought up matchmaking. Only you did and I have no idea why. Is it because MW2 had it or something? So youre one of the people who brings up MW2 in every FPS thread. So IW took a step back and now you have lower standards? PC games have always had the ability to pick your own dedicated server IN GAME.

PC players are always complaing about match making, they want the ability to chose which server they want to play in. You have that ability now, ya sure you have to alt-tab to do it, is that really a big deal? Why are you bringing MW2 into this? I don't even like Call Of Duty lol.

I'm not trying to start some internet "beef". I just find it odd that PC players basically are getting what they want, yet some people continue to complain and even go as far to cancel there pre-order because of this.

Being able to select what server you play in is amazing, I wish more console games had it. Metal Gear Online had it and it was awesome.

expanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 expanded
Member since 2003 • 8430 Posts
I actually prefer doing it through battle log considering the game loads significantly much faster compared to previous battlefield games.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Jebus213

[QUOTE="USBxDVD"][QUOTE="millerlight89"]

Would you rather your precious match making?Randoggy

PC players are always complaing about match making, they want the ability to chose which server they want to play in. You have that ability now, ya sure you have to alt-tab to do it, is that really a big deal? Why are you bringing MW2 into this? I don't even like Call Of Duty lol.

I'm not trying to start some internet "beef". I just find it odd that PC players basically are getting what they want, yet some people continue to complain and even go as far to cancel there pre-order because of this.

Being able to select what server you play in is amazing, I wish more console games had it. Metal Gear Online had it and it was awesome.

It's obvious you don't understand why we're complaining about it or just refuse to. Either way I think we should just leave it at that.

caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#66 caseystryker
Member since 2005 • 5421 Posts

As long as it loads quickly I have absolutely no problem with this. I really don't see what the big deal is. Firefox uses about 3% of my physical memory when open. Not a big deal.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Jebus213

As long as it loads quickly I have absolutely no problem with this. I really don't see what the big deal is.

caseystryker

The web browser taking up my recources preventing me from getting reasonable frames. They should intergrate it into Origin since you need that as well to play the damn game.

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts
eh I have dual monitors, good news for me!
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 lowe0

[QUOTE="lowe0"]

You're missing an important distinction... even assuming that the "join game" button is able to find me a server populated with a full game of players at exactly my skill level, what keeps it that way? When someone quits the game, what stops a player with many hours under their belt and all of the unlocks from replacing them and unbalancing the game? Without the ability to ensure a relatively even match, no, it's nowhere near the same functionality as true skill-based matchmaking.

Being able to get a good match is worth the extra wait as the server does its work. Not everyone will agree with me on that tradeoff, but not everyone has to. There are plenty of developers doing it your way as well; feel free to purchase games from them.

Ginosaji

Even the most successful matchmaking systems have decidedly failed in this endeavour. Things such as new accounts, trial accounts, shared accounts, or even a group with a wide skill gap eliminate the systems ability to find a "good" match. Even under "optimal" conditions, the competition on Halo: Reach, for example, is all over the board -- I can end any given Team SWAT match with +20 or -10. There's simply no way for a computer to reliably calculate a player's skill and dictate who s/he should be playing with based on any arbitrarily assigned value.

I'll never understand trading virtually all user freedom for an inherently flawed system like that, even in the off chance that it does what it's advertised to do. Your "good matches" always fall victim to inferior network performance and/or a complete lack of custom content/settings.

I don't remember having that problem at all back in Halo 3, nor in Bad Company 2. Yes, there are ways to game the system, but games with good matchmaking (that is, not CoD, which uses the advanced "first 17 people it can find" algorithm) have consistently given me enjoyable matches. In contrast, I usually can't find an enjoyable game on PC - I filter out all of the full, empty, unranked and hardcore servers, scroll through a few games, don't see anything that looks good, and toss the whole idea and play something single-player instead. It's just not worth it.

And it's okay that you don't understand my preference. You don't have to.

At the very least: outliers in my games (players who are considerably more/less skilled than the other players) are always subject to removal at the discretion of the server's moderators, whereas in your games that problem is beyond any player's control.

Ginosaji

Except that, as a result of the above, I don't end up playing multiplayer on the PC very much, so if anyone ends up getting booted, it'll be me. Why bother?

caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 caseystryker

[QUOTE="caseystryker"]

As long as it loads quickly I have absolutely no problem with this. I really don't see what the big deal is.

Jebus213

The web browser taking up my recources preventing me from getting reasonable frames. They should intergrate it into Origin since you need that as well to play the damn game.

Ideally that would be the case, but it's certainly not a deal breaker by any means. I still don't understand why some people are up in arms about it. I don't see it affecting the games performance hardly at all. I always have multiple browsers open when gaming. I've never seen a noticeable hit in FPS.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Jebus213

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

[QUOTE="caseystryker"]

caseystryker

Ideally that would be the case, but it's certainly not a deal breaker by any means. I still don't understand why some people are up in arms about it. I don't see it affecting the games performance hardly at all. I always have multiple browsers open when gaming. I've never seen a noticeable hit in FPS.

You have 8GB's of RAM....

caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 caseystryker

RAM is dirt cheap though. I just got an extra 4GB this past week.

Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Former_Slacker
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

Wow, first regenerating health in skyrim and now this? I mean I just got over forced origin install for the retail version but this is a deal breaker. Looks like I have nothing to look forward to come winter. :(

Pikdum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Pikdum
Member since 2010 • 2244 Posts

WTF is wrong with them?

Kokuro_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Kokuro_Kun
Member since 2009 • 2339 Posts
WHO THE F*** thought of this? When they were in the board room, how many people stood up when that thought was brought on and said yeah totallyz. seriouslywtf
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#77 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
this is pretty much the dumbest idea i've ever heard of. whoever came up with this must not want this game to succeed and whoever allowed this is, simply put, dumb.
USBxDVD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 USBxDVD

[QUOTE="USBxDVD"][QUOTE="millerlight89"]

Would you rather your precious match making?Randoggy

What do you mean "you have that ability now". We've ALWAYS had the ability to choose our own servers on PC. You make it seem as if a server browser is unheard of or something. I only brought up MW2 because I thought you were talking about it since you brought up matchmaking. Its one of the few PC games that actually use matchmaking. I dont know why you make it seem as if matchmaking is a standard when factually its not.
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
This is an outrage! Someone start a petition!
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#80 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

Yes, the rumors from the beta are true. You will have to launch the game via Battlelog from the web browser of your choice. While the console gamers get an in-gamer server browser, us PC folks won't. I switch servers quite often, and using an web browser to access the server list is the final straw. Who thought of this? If so, they are idiots.

I am seriously considering cancelling my pre-order and getting MW3 instead for my multiplayer FPS fix this holiday season.

The_Capitalist

If Google Docs can run on a web browser, why reinvent the wheel? The PC comes with full internet experience web browser.

A programmer can embed Internet Explorer's main engine into any Windows based programs.

kingfire11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 kingfire11
Member since 2005 • 1498 Posts
1. No mods. 2. Origin. 3. Tons of DLC. (because again, no mods!) 4. No server browser. And hermits call this a PC game? lolz. This is as consolized as CoD.
enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#82 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
Consoles get in-game server browsers and the PC doesn't? Um, alright. I guess that's a fair trade off for gimped player count.
blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts
seems like Dice just don't like making picking a server quick and easy, I bet once the game comes out they change it
Upparoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Upparoom
Member since 2010 • 2111 Posts

Battlelog was buggy and slow in the alpha, so unless they have polished it this is a mega-terrible idea.

Hell, this already was a slightly terrible idea. Battlelog won't feel like a cool and useful feature if they try to shove it down our throats.

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#85 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts
It worked really well in the alpha. Better than BC2s system for sure. Just use the browser with the smallest footprint and stop worrying.
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#86 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15592 Posts

Who the hell bothers to come up with this kind of thing? I'm not even sure if this is good or bad, it's just different to be different.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#87 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

No problem for me, people sure like to nitpick on small things, acting like BC3 and Diablo3 are are going to be crap because of a few things they dont agree with lol, good old gamespot.

BC3 will kick butt on PC, if you let some server browser stuff stop that then thats to bad.

scar-hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#88 scar-hawk
Member since 2008 • 5404 Posts
[QUOTE="kingfire11"]1. No mods. - Yeah this part sucks but I'll live 2. Origin - Origin isn't great, nowhere near as good as Steam but it's usable. 3. Tons of DLC. (because again, no mods!) - Could be like BC2 where they gave a good amount of free DLC albeit a lot of it being Map mode changes. 4. No server browser. - Wrong And hermits call this a PC game? lolz. This is as consolized as CoD.

My turn: 1. Better graphics (of course) 2. 2.5x the console player cap (64 players vs a meager 24) 3. Better destruction and animations. 4. (Most likely) larger player base.
ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#89 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts
What's the point, why not just build it into the game. If it's so superior how'bout they make it optional and see how many uses it, I'm betting not a whole lot and they know it. Not that it will ruin the game for me.
John_Read

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 John_Read
Member since 2009 • 1214 Posts
meh waiting for mod tools announcement PR mod>>>Bf2
Nohtnym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Nohtnym
Member since 2010 • 1552 Posts

So.. like with alpha first origin->battlelog->battlefield 3. And all origin and battlelog stays open while you play battlefield 3. Great DICE! Let the two things hog some memory, make battlefield 3 recommended memory 4 gb (which many still has) and take 1gb-1.5gb away because of your origin and web browser.

Sigh...

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#92 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

omg its so hard to alt tab out a game over pressing escape.:roll:

From what i've heard BF3 boots in and out of games and servers pretty fast i dont see why theres such widespread complaining, SAMP has had something similar for quite some time (its external to the game itself).

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

That's idiotic. Is there a valid reason why it shouldn't be integrated into the game?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#94 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
DICE has always been absolutely awful when it comes to server browsers. It doesn't surprise me that they're doing it through a browser - so they can't mess it up this time. :P
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Yes, the rumors from the beta are true. You will have to launch the game via Battlelog from the web browser of your choice. While the console gamers get an in-gamer server browser, us PC folks won't. I switch servers quite often, and using an web browser to access the server list is the final straw. Who thought of this? If so, they are idiots.

I am seriously considering cancelling my pre-order and getting MW3 instead for my multiplayer FPS fix this holiday season.

The_Capitalist

I think you should stop gaming, all you ever seem to do is complain and get angry. High stree levels are very bad for you.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 razgriz_101

[QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

tenaka2

I think you should stop gaming, all you ever seem to do is complain and get angry. High stree levels are very bad for you.

then most of this board should quit :P

Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Randoggy

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

razgriz_101

I'm pretty sure this board has caused a couple heads to literally explode.
Avatar image for theshadowhunter
theshadowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 theshadowhunter
Member since 2004 • 2956 Posts

as long as their system still has the same function of a ingame browser and its not broken, who cares?

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 razgriz_101

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

Randoggy

I'm pretty sure this board has caused a couple heads to literally explode.

Pff mines has come close due to the stupidity and general ignorance of some folks on here who think their view is gospel or just cant acknowledge the arguement you are putting forth, id be more productive banging my noggin off a brick wall when i post arguements sometimes its always retorted by sales,free arguement or insert other stupid thing here :(

maybe im getting to old for SW :( might be time to shuffle off to OT more often or GGD.

Medic_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Medic_B
Member since 2005 • 3375 Posts

this sucks