Bethesda: Skyrim Looks 'Way Better' On PC, Almost Went Next-Gen!

• 175 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Bethesda drops facts on Skyrim development at QuakeCon

Following a mixed reaction from the QuakeCon crowd after announcing that Skyrim was being demoed on Xbox 360, Bethesda's Todd Howard said: "I can assure you the PC version looks even way better."

Howard also revealed that the Bethesda development team considered going next-gen for Skyrim. "When we finished Fallout 3 we thought we're gonna do Elder Scrolls again - should we wait for the next-generation of hardware?" he explained.

"We had a pretty big laundry list of features that we knew we could do with the PCs that are coming out now and on the 360 and PS3. When we make an Elder Scrolls our goal is to make a virtual fantasy world come to life on screen."

Source!

If that demoed for the 360 I can only imagine with the PC version would be like.. because that looked amazing, more reason to upgrade my PC I guess!

Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts

Following a mixed reaction from the QuakeCon crowd after announcing that Skyrim was being demoed on Xbox 360, Bethesda's Todd Howard said: "I can assure you the PC version looks even way better."

Howard also revealed that the Bethesda development team considered going next-gen for Skyrim. "When we finished Fallout 3 we thought we're gonna do Elder Scrolls again - should we wait for the next-generation of hardware?" he explained.

"We had a pretty big laundry list of features that we knew we could do with the PCs that are coming out now and on the 360 and PS3. When we make an Elder Scrolls our goal is to make a virtual fantasy world come to life on screen."

Source!

If that demoed for the 360 I can only imagine with the PC version would be like.. because that looked amazing, more reason to upgrade my PC I guess!

GD1551

dont think no one will deny that. on my rig ill get slightly above xbox 360 version at a decent 30-60 frames, sadly.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

Title is misleading.

Bethesda already said that the differences will be as minimal as possible.

"even way better"

The game looks pretty underwhelming .

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Title is misleading. Bethesda already said that the differences will be as minimal as possible.GeneralShowzer

Exactly. It just sounds like they're trying to hype the PC version.

arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

Source!

GD1551

I think you are missing what he said. This game, on PC, will still look somewhat similar to what was shown on that 360. Reolution will be much higher, textures will look better, AA and AF will be there, draw distance will be further, item/object pop in will not be as bad, and the frame rate will be much higher, but in the end, it will look somewhat similar. He said they almost went to next gen, but then decided that they could do what they wanted with the current consoles, and because it is multiplatform, the game will be just like every other multiplatform game this gen. A superior PC version, but not in the ways that it could have been had it been a PC exclusive. I hope whatever I just said makes sense.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GD1551

I took the thread title from the article and he also said this...

"I can assure you the PC version looks even way better."

Not sure how I'm misunderstanding that, though it could just be damage control for the quakecon audience.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]Title is misleading. Bethesda already said that the differences will be as minimal as possible.ChubbyGuy40

Exactly. It just sounds like they're trying to hype the PC version.

Does the PC version really need hype? everyone knows that version will end up being the best

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GD1551

Title is misleading.

"even way better"

GeneralShowzer

Really? How does it look underwhelming? That demo was pretty awesome, and the animations are actually decent!

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ChubbyGuy40

Really? How does it look underwhelming? That demo was pretty awesome, and the animations are actually decent!

GD1551

It doesn't look that good. The Witcher 2 beats it in visuals still. It's nothing special really besides being open-world.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Bethesda already know they don't need to bother making it look much better because their own community of fans will do it for them :roll:.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GeneralShowzer

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]

Title is misleading.

"even way better"

GD1551

Looks pretty sub-par, even for an open world game. There are various screenshots circling around. Pretty disappointing stuff.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ChubbyGuy40

Looks pretty sub-par, even for an open world game. There are various screenshots circling around. Pretty disappointing stuff.

GeneralShowzer

Honestly it looks like Oblivion with a new design so far.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

Source!

arto1223

I think you are missing what he said. This game, on PC, will still look somewhat similar to what was shown on that 360. Reolution will be much higher, textures will look better, AA and AF will be there, draw distance will be further, item/object pop in will not be as bad, and the frame rate will be much higher, but in the end, it will look somewhat similar. He said they almost went to next gen, but then decided that they could do what they wanted with the current consoles, and because it is multiplatform, the game will be just like every other multiplatform game this gen. A superior PC version, but not in the ways that it could have been had it been a PC exclusive. I hope whatever I just said makes sense.

So, we're allowed to take advantage of driver level features that you have no control of? Thanks Beth!

I suppose the OP was a bit of a misquote or we're just suffering more PR bull.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]

ChubbyGuy40

Is that bad? :roll:

lol :P I'm j/k

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lawlessx

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]

ChubbyGuy40

Don't really know what you guys were expecting.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

ChubbyGuy40

It doesn't look that good. The Witcher 2 beats it in visuals still. It's nothing special really besides being open-world.

Well the Witcher 2 is a PC exclusive game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foRkun8BQto&hd=1

Plus check that out the game looks pretty awesome.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts

Title is misleading.

"even way better"

GeneralShowzer

Even direct ports to PC can look a load better, as soon as a game is 1080p or higher, with 8x AA, 16x AF, etc, its going to look pretty good, even if it isn't natively meant for PC.

Oblivion did look pretty ass even maxed out though.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ChubbyGuy40

Don't really know what you guys were expecting.lawlessx

At first I was expecting something that would look really good by PC standards since Oblivion was quite good at it's release, and was the system killer along with FEAR.

Then as time passed and it's obvious consoles are the focus, I stopped caring.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ChubbyGuy40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foRkun8BQto&hd=1

Plus check that out the game looks pretty awesome.

GD1551

It does look pretty, but it's not the same stunner it's older sibling was. It has vastly improved design. That's why it looks a lot better than what someone SpeedTree'd in one day.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]

Title is misleading.

"even way better"

110million

Even direct ports to PC can look a load better, as soon as a game is 1080p or higher, with 8x AA, 16x AF, etc, its going to look pretty good, even if it isn't natively meant for PC.

Oblivion did look pretty ass even maxed out though.

Sometimes those ports using console based textures and detail look awful with high resolutions which brings out the muddy, pixelated textures and detail.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GeneralShowzer

Don't know , that first trailer got me hyped but as I realize now most of it was pre-rendered and not representative of the game.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lawlessx

Don't know , that first trailer got me hyped but as I realize now most of it was pre-rendered and not representative of the game.

Your talking about the first gameplay trailer?..

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
The game's focus are consoles anyways, so, even if the PC version it's prettier, I'm happy that they are trying to use the full power of my system. :)
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lawlessx

The game's focus are consoles anyways, so, even if the PC version it's prettier, I'm happy that they are trying to use the full power of my system. :)IronBass
your happy that the developers are limited to using updated hardware?:P

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Filthybastrd

The game's focus are consoles anyways, so, even if the PC version it's prettier, I'm happy that they are trying to use the full power of my system. :)IronBass

Except they are'nt ;) They're working hard to make it run on two entirely different architectures while attempting to make both versions as similar as possible.

Afterwards, they port it to the PC and wait for modders to release high res textures.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GeneralShowzer

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]Don't really know what you guys were expecting.lawlessx

Your talking about the first gameplay trailer?..

Not sure, I think it was the very first one with the chorus music. Most of the stuff there is pre-rendered, and some screenshots released show the game as it is, and it's not very pretty. Even on consoles RDR raised the standard for open world games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-63f6895020e66

your happy that the developers are limited to using updated hardware?:Plawlessx

Not happy, but it doesn't bother me if it's myoutdated hardware the one we're talking about =P

Except they are'nt ;) They're working hard to make it run on two entirely different architectures while attempting to make both versions as similar as possible.

Afterwards, they port it to the PC and wait for modders to release high res textures.

lawlessx

So consoles are the lead platform. My point exactly.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
Oh well, game looks very nice from what I've seen - can't wait for it!
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GD1551

Not sure, I think it was the very first one with the chorus music. Most of the stuff there is pre-rendered, and some screenshots released show the game as it is, and it's not very pretty. Even on consoles RDR raised the standard for open world games. GeneralShowzer

Did you check the video I linked in the thread?

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Filthybastrd

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]

Not happy, but it doesn't bother meif it's myoutdated hardware the one we're talking about=P

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]Except they are'nt ;) They're working hard to make it run on two entirely different architectures while attempting to make both versions as similar as possible.

IronBass

So consoles are the lead platform. My point exactly.

You implied that that they're trying to max your console (whichever one that is), which is not the case.

They're working hard to make the game run well on two entirely different architectures, while they also need to make them as indisinguishable as possible. No maxxing involved, either console version has another console holding it back.

I'm happy that they are trying to use the full power of my system. :)IronBass

is an exact quote in case you forgot.

In the case of the PC it's easy: Port the 360 version at minimal additional costs.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts

[QUOTE="IronBass"]The game's focus are consoles anyways, so, even if the PC version it's prettier, I'm happy that they are trying to use the full power of my system. :)lawlessx

your happy that the developers are limited to using updated hardware?:P

I'm happy that they're using the full potential of my Xbox, no rush jobs or anything.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-63f6895020e66

You implied that that they're trying to max your console (whichever one that is), which is not the case.

They're working hard to make the game run well on two entirely different architectures, while they also need to make them as indisinguishable as possible. No maxxing involved, either console version has another console holding it back.

[QUOTE="IronBass"]I'm happy that they are trying to use the full power of my system. :)Filthybastrd

In the case of the PC it's easy: Port the 360 version at minimal additional costs.

I'm gonna assume what you're saying it's a fact (since neither of us can prove either statement). Anyways, the console versions are the ones that they're focusing on, and that's all that matters to me :)

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]You implied that that they're trying to max your console (whichever one that is), which is not the case.

[QUOTE="IronBass"]I'm happy that they are trying to use the full power of my system. :)IronBass

Oh well, bottom line the consoles versions are the ones that they're focusing one, and that's all that matters to me :)

I bet Bethesda will abandon it like they did Oblivion. Great thing about PC is that the community was able to fix "most of it." Plus PC gets 4-5x the content due to mods :D

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Todd Howard's words need to be taken with a grain of salt quite frankly - if anything it'll be modders that make Skyrim shine, but massive kudos to Bethesda for releasing the toolsets.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]

Title is misleading.

"even way better"

GeneralShowzer

Graphically for consoles, with the scale and what they have shown it looks really good, definitely one of the best looking open world games on consoles. For PC, I'm sure they'll just include higher res textures or what have you, it won't match Witcher 2's beauty though :P

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Filthybastrd

[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]You implied that that they're trying to max your console (whichever one that is), which is not the case.

[QUOTE="IronBass"]I'm happy that they are trying to use the full power of my system. :)IronBass

Oh well, bottom line the consoles versions are the ones that they're focusing one, and that's all that matters to me :)

Bugger... Well, I can understand your appreciation and honestly, the current gaming industry means that the school laptop, I receive at the end of the month will be perfectly fine for 1080p gaming.

No offense meant of course. My hostility was good ol' system warring ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-63f6895020e66

I bet Bethesda will abandon it like they did Oblivion. Great thing about PC is that the community was able to fix "most of it." Plus PC gets 4-5x the content due to mods :DChubbyGuy40

Oh, I'm sure they will abandon it soon. But considering Bethesda's track record of improving themselves and the franchises they work on (Oblivion being the best TES and Fallout 3 being also the best Fallout), I'm sure console Skyrim will be amazing : D

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GeneralShowzer

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]Not sure, I think it was the very first one with the chorus music. Most of the stuff there is pre-rendered, and some screenshots released show the game as it is, and it's not very pretty. Even on consoles RDR raised the standard for open world games. GD1551

Yes, It's cam footage. This looks pretty underwhelming to me

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]Not sure, I think it was the very first one with the chorus music. Most of the stuff there is pre-rendered, and some screenshots released show the game as it is, and it's not very pretty. Even on consoles RDR raised the standard for open world games. GeneralShowzer

Yes, It's cam footage. This looks pretty underwhelming to me

Well that's xbox footage. Even with that the game looks a ton better in motion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
They switched their tune.
Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Is not Crysis or BF 3 but looks beautiful enough.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lawlessx
GeneralShowzer why are you so worried about the visuals of the 360 version when your getting the PC version?
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]I bet Bethesda will abandon it like they did Oblivion. Great thing about PC is that the community was able to fix "most of it." Plus PC gets 4-5x the content due to mods :DIronBass

Oh, I'm sure they will abandon it soon. But considering Bethesda's track record of improving themselves and the franchises they work on (Oblivion being the best TES and Fallout 3 being also the best Fallout), I'm sure console Skyrim will be amazing : D

Can't comment on Oblivion being the best TES but New Vegas > FO3 by FAR! :evil: New Vegas is totally the best Fallout (but I haven't played 1 or 2 yet :P)

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Filthybastrd

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]I bet Bethesda will abandon it like they did Oblivion. Great thing about PC is that the community was able to fix "most of it." Plus PC gets 4-5x the content due to mods :DIronBass

Now I can't personally vouch for Morrowind but I get the impression that it was much better than Oblivion, technical proficiency aside.

Fallout 3 is the second worst Fallout and I can personally attest to that. Fallout: Tactics feeds the bottom but Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas are all superior RPGs as well as games.

Edit: Fallout 1/2 are ancient by now of course but if you can stand the first couple of hours, (we don't care about gfx rite???), they're superior to Fallout 3 to this very day.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-63f6895020e66

Bugger... Well, I can understand your appreciation and honestly, the current gaming industry means that the school laptop, I receive at the end of the month will be perfectly fine for 1080p gaming.

Filthybastrd

Why would I take offense sir, we're talking about videogames :]

And I'm sure tons of PCs can run the game, but I can't say I find the connection between that fact and my post.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GeneralShowzer
GeneralShowzer why are you so worried about the visuals of the 360 version when your getting the PC version?lawlessx
I'm not that worried, but that's the quality we can expect of the PC version as well, since they are not too worried about boosting the visuals on the PC side.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Filthybastrd

[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]Bugger... Well, I can understand your appreciation and honestly, the current gaming industry means that the school laptop, I receive at the end of the month will be perfectly fine for 1080p gaming.

IronBass

Why would I take offense sir, we're talking about videogames :]

And I'm sure tons of PCs can run the game, but I can't say I find the connection between that fact and my post.

Since it's a another console focused game, my laptop will be able to play it at close to max settings/1080 ;) That's a personal pleasure since I won't have to pay attention to boring lectures ever again, which means all of them :P