Battlefront PS4 footage is 900p at E3

• 123 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#103 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@walloftruth said:
@xhawk27 said:

So let me understand this... If a game is 900p on the Xbox One it's a joke but if it's on the PS4 at that resolution it's fine?

Yes, pretty much. But we all know 900p on PS4 looks better and more fluid that 900p on Xbox One.

Actually ...........

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 deactivated-583e460ca986b

^ Joking of course

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

it wouldn't be too surprising. The other battlefield games were 900p as well

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#106 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

We we know it will be the best console version, so by golly that's ok.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

lol consoles. lol gpuking.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#108 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

that sucks but im seriously over that whole thing for this gen. consoles are underpowered for 1080p 60fps....deal with it

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#109  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@tormentos said:

Hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....

NO it would not change anything...

A 1GB 7790 destroy the xbox one hell it even beat the PS4 in some games,so no the PS4 shipping with 4GB would still have produce better results on PS4,remember this consoles have PRT which is a way to save memory the PS4 and xbox one are not even exploiting this because it is a fix for a problem they don't have as they have allot of memory,so sony shipping with half would have mean nothing,probably slimmer OS reservation and maybe some features would got hurt but gaming speaking the GPU inside the PS4 doesn't require 4GB of ram or 5 the xbox one even less,2 GB would have been more than enough.

Hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..

DX12 is already out on xbox one it has been for some time now...

Keep the dream alive the xbox one full potential was achieve already is a damn 7770 like GPU in power,the PS4 in the line of the R265,there is a gap between those 2 GPU much bigger than you want to pretend and that will never be close the xbox one will trail the PS4 all gen long under the same conditions it is now even after DX13 comes after DX12 there is nothing that would change that and you love for MS is pathetic.

The only way the xbox one can reach parity frame wise is by giving up resolution always that will be the case because it doesn't have the juice period no matter how many DX MS make for it...

As i predicted the gap is getting wider recently some games not only have higher resolution but faster frames to.

Yes and those same heavy physics would hurt the xbox one even more..

It has even less power.

You cant be this ignorant

Both consoles use a shared memory pool, both current console OS's and features allocates 3gb or more which means that if PS4 only came with 4gb they would have gimped and limited features for the PS4's OS. Then on top of that you would less memory to go for the the game's cache and vram for the gpu. Which would meant that PS4 would have suffered from loading and swapping old data for new hurting its performance. On top of that wouldn't have allowed the PS4's gpu to store more data aka detail. it would ran into having to run lower detailed settings little to no post processing effects and quite possibility lower screen resolution.

Problem is that using PRT requires devs to actually code for it and have engines to have the capabilities to use the low resource streaming of the virtual texturing. So your saying that with every multiplat dev using older engines or their own made engines is going to cater to the PS4 issues.... highly doubtful. They would just lower the quality to the point where resources aren't saturated.

lol.... DX12 is not on X1 yet nor is it being coded by the devs yet.... go ahead keep that denial going that Dx12 wont help the X1 at all nor will help the PS4 along with multiplat gaming....

Your just another trollish dumb cow we all know the PS4 gpu is faster you goof, nor am i suggesting that Dx12 will allow the X1 to become on par with the PS4 which it cant. Fact is that you cant stand is that dx12 is fixing the current broken and outdated API its currently using and supplying more efficiency and tools for devs to make games better by using all resources available that its current API denies.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#110 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I don't believe that resolution is set in stone as of yet since we still have few good months to go before the game is released. Either way, it should be a good game regardless of the platform.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

Both consoles use a shared memory pool, both current console OS's and features allocates 3gb or more which means that if PS4 only came with 4gb they would have gimped and limited features for the PS4's OS. Then on top of that you would less memory to go for the the game's cache and vram for the gpu. Which would meant that PS4 would have suffered from loading and swapping old data for new hurting its performance. On top of that wouldn't have allowed the PS4's gpu to store more data aka detail. it would ran into having to run lower detailed settings little to no post processing effects and quite possibility lower screen resolution.

Problem is that using PRT requires devs to actually code for it and have engines to have the capabilities to use the low resource streaming of the virtual texturing. So your saying that with every multiplat dev using older engines or their own made engines is going to cater to the PS4 issues.... highly doubtful. They would just lower the quality to the point where resources aren't saturated.

lol.... DX12 is not on X1 yet nor is it being coded by the devs yet.... go ahead keep that denial going that Dx12 wont help the X1 at all nor will help the PS4 along with multiplat gaming....

Your just another trollish dumb cow we all know the PS4 gpu is faster you goof, nor am i suggesting that Dx12 will allow the X1 to become on par with the PS4 which it cant. Fact is that you cant stand is that dx12 is fixing the current broken and outdated API its currently using and supplying more efficiency and tools for devs to make games better by using all resources available that its current API denies.

No you blind idiot.

The PS4 system allocation is huge and exagerated,sony reserve such a big size only for future proof the PS4 runs a light OS that would never reach 3GB in size hell even windows 7 runs with less than 3GB.

The only thing i think may get a little affect if anything would be features OS ones,gaming wise the PS4 with 2GB of GDDR5 would beat the xbox one with 5GB quite easy.

That bold part is total bullshit prove it..

Because from what i know the 7790 wipe the floor with the xbox one and only has 1GB of memory,the xbox one doesn't freaking need 5GB it has ram to spare,but a 1GB 7790 will beat the xbox one silly hell the 1GB 7770 even beat if in some games..lol

So regardless of having less ram the PS4 would still have kick the xbox one ass,in fact the xbox one has 5 to 1 ratio of ram vs the 750ti as well and vs the 7770 and 7790 and all 3 beat the xbox one regardless of it.

That is like saying that the PS4 will beat a 7870 because it has almost 5GB for video when the 7870 has 2GB.

Sure it would have been more work to fit more things ram wise but in the end it would be the same results the xbox one bean beat 4GB of ram would have not chage that,other than some in game features like shareplay or something like that the PS4 would have beat it and the evidence is there show me the games where the xbox one beat the 7790...

Sony is a master when it comes to low ram i don't think there is a system other than the PS4 were they weren't at a disadvantage ram wise,Saturn had double the memory N64 way more,xbox had double the ram,GC also had a little more,the 360 had a little more ram to and unified.

I am sure they would have lower footprint on the OS and be done with it.

That secodn bold part is even worse i hope you don't banish from the board when the gains fail to arrive like Blackace did after parading how E3 would be MS big DX12 unveil when in reality it basically was barely talk of for the xbox one and no demos shown...lol

There is no fixing that broken ass consoles,and E3 already happen and fall is getting here soon,so yeah Fable is a DX12 game on both machines and still no demo of DX12 vs DX11.X nothing there is nothing DX12 will do because it is already there,like a few days ago were a developer stated that the 7 core would yield smoother frames for the xbox one as if it wasn't in use already when Project Cars use it and and still was behind..lol

DX12 is shit ass propaganda by MS is MS late copy of Mantle very late i may add keep the hopes alive..lol

@GoldenElementXL said:

Actually ...........

Loading Video...

Yeah the one game a company admit it self to fu** up on purpose on PS4..lol

If liek you lemmings have nothing,fact is the only way the xbox one can run faster is if the developer screw things up,a 7770 will never beat a R265 unless some one mess up.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 04dcarraher

@tormentos:

yeah ok what ever makes sleep better at night

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b

@tormentos said:

Because from what i know the 7790 wipe the floor with the xbox one and only has 1GB of memory,the xbox one doesn't freaking need 5GB it has ram to spare,but a 1GB 7790 will beat the xbox one silly hell the 1GB 7770 even beat if in some games..lol

That is like saying that the PS4 will beat a 7870 because it has almost 5GB for video when the 7870 has 2GB.

Tormentos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on man! You can't be serious here. I know that you know a little about PC hardware so you must be trying to play the part of ignorant fanboy or something. I know that you are aware of system RAM. A PC with a 1 GB GPU like a 7790 has 1 GB of dedicated VRAM. That PC also has system RAM and most games require at least 4GB of it. The PS4 doesn't have 5GB just for video and I know that you know that. You can't compare 5GB of Unified RAM and 2 GB of VRAM since a PC has other RAM in it.

- You are saying a PS4 with only 4 GB of unified GDDR5 RAM would beat the Xbox One just because of the GPU.

- You are also saying that the PS4 OS is bloated and doesn't require the 3 - 3.5 GB of RAM it has available.

Lets drop the OS down from 3 to 2 GB of RAM. That would leave 2 GB for games. 2 GB TOTAL. That's ridiculous. I want you to play a game on your PC right now. The only one I know that you own is PvZ Garden Warfare so lets start there. You have a 2GB video card right? Now pull all except for 2 GB of RAM out of your computer and try to play that game. And this would still be DOUBLE what the PS4 would of had for games if they went with 4GB.

You can be a fanboy all you want but this is getting ridiculous.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#114 waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:
@tormentos said:

Tormentos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on man! You can't be serious here. I know that you know a little about PC hardware so you must be trying to play the part of ignorant fanboy or something. I know that you are aware of system RAM. A PC with a 1 GB GPU like a 7790 has 1 GB of dedicated VRAM. That PC also has system RAM and most games require at least 4GB of it. The PS4 doesn't have 5GB just for video and I know that you know that. You can't compare 5GB of Unified RAM and 2 GB of VRAM since a PC has other RAM in it.

- You are saying a PS4 with only 4 GB of unified GDDR5 RAM would beat the Xbox One just because of the GPU.

- You are also saying that the PS4 OS is bloated and doesn't require the 3 - 3.5 GB of RAM it has available.

Lets drop the OS down from 3 to 2 GB of RAM. That would leave 2 GB for games. 2 GB TOTAL. That's ridiculous. I want you to play a game on your PC right now. The only one I know that you own is PvZ Garden Warfare so lets start there. You have a 2GB video card right? Now pull all except for 2 GB of RAM out of your computer and try to play that game. And this would still be DOUBLE what the PS4 would of had for games if they went with 4GB.

Games require enormous amounts of ram to load mostly graphical assets for swapping with the GPU. And the PS4 will beat the xone in certain aspects with 4gb, like physics, animations, post processing effects, shader power... basically everything but super detailed textures. The fact that its unified makes it far more efficient to use than PC's. All the data that is shared between GPU/CPU can be passed via pointers on consoles, on PC you have to pass all the data... Its completely up to the dev how the ram is used. And thats not an entirely unreasonable ratio... http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-inside-killzone-shadow-fall Killzone uses 3GB of ram for video and 1.6 for other things.

Also the OS doesn't use the 3GB of ram. Its reserved .Both MS and Sony reserved % of a couple of CPU's for the OS, and a certain amount of ram. Early in the console life cycle you need to reserve things you MIGHT use because you can't take, but you can always give back. So M$ dropping the kinect gave an entire CPU core back basically and both are reducing the amount of memory the OS requires since they don't need it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b

@waahahah said:

Games require enormous amounts of ram to load mostly graphical assets for swapping with the GPU. And the PS4 will beat the xone in certain aspects with 4gb, like physics, animations, post processing effects, shader power... basically everything but super detailed textures. The fact that its unified makes it far more efficient to use than PC's. All the data that is shared between GPU/CPU can be passed via pointers on consoles, on PC you have to pass all the data... Its completely up to the dev how the ram is used. And thats not an entirely unreasonable ratio... http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-inside-killzone-shadow-fall Killzone uses 3GB of ram for video and 1.6 for other things.

Also the OS doesn't use the 3GB of ram. Its reserved .Both MS and Sony reserved % of a couple of CPU's for the OS, and a certain amount of ram. Early in the console life cycle you need to reserve things you MIGHT use because you can't take, but you can always give back. So M$ dropping the kinect gave an entire CPU core back basically and both are reducing the amount of memory the OS requires since they don't need it.

Yes I understand that the OS RAM is reserved. If 3 is reserved now it's not unreasonable to think 2 would have been reserved if there was 4GB of RAM. The OS and features couldnt have been that different before they switched. I mean it took the Knack team bitching about it for them to switch to 8 so it happened pretty late.

Also yes it is still quite possible that the PS4 would still beat the Xbox One with only 4 GB of RAM in some areas because of the GPU. But like in your Killzone example, 3 GB was used for video and 1.6 for "other things." I'm no math wizard but that's 4.6 GB of RAM. What would that game have been if only 2 GB of RAM were available for games? Hell even 3 GB would have changed things entirely, right? Like I said when this exchange started with Tormentos, it would have changed the race. The PS4 would still be capable of more here and there but it would have created some issues as well.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#116  Edited By waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:
@waahahah said:

Yes I understand that the OS RAM is reserved. If 3 is reserved now it's not unreasonable to think 2 would have been reserved if there was 4GB of RAM. The OS and features couldnt have been that different before they switched. I mean it took the Knack team bitching about it for them to switch to 8 so it happened pretty late.

Also yes it is still quite possible that the PS4 would still beat the Xbox One with only 4 GB of RAM in some areas because of the GPU. But like in your Killzone example, 3 GB was used for video and 1.6 for "other things." I'm no math wizard but that's 4.6 GB of RAM. What would that game have been if only 2 GB of RAM were available for games? Hell even 3 GB would have changed things entirely, right? Like I said when this exchange started with Tormentos, it would have changed the race. The PS4 would still be capable of more here and there but it would have created some issues as well.

If they said they had 3GB for ram, instead of 4.6GB all they really need to do is lose 1.6GB, that can come from system/graphics/audio etc... spread evenly and not make a massive difference, cause more repeated textures... it might be noticable.

Tormentos may be a rabid fanboy, be he's not always wrong because of it. You just need to be able to disect his statements and find the things that could be true. He's probably pretty wrong about the 1gb card performing better than the xbox. Generally consoles see much higher utilization than PC's (even if it says the GPU is at 100% it likely is not on PC), due to more efficient ram usage, specialized hardware to make more efficient GPU/CPU usage, completely dedicated hardware to the game and always gets priority.. etc.

Granted I read your post, and partially read his and he said 2gb would beat xone at 5gb, thats rubbish. thats less than 50%... they'd have to do probably just shit tons of physics on all of the wasted CU's

edit: also it didn't take the knack team bitching about it, basically they designed a spec and the maximum amount of ram they could put in was 4GB because of the density of the ddr4 chips... then some new tech came out and they were able to use the drop in replacement chips with higher density. I think I'm understanding where the 4GB argument you came up with while trying to decipher Tormentos's rant.

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Quicksilver128
Member since 2003 • 7075 Posts

A game that looked that good going for 60fps doesn't really surprise me.

However it is funny that about the only games that end up being 900p on PS4 are Ubisoft or EA titles.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

@tormentos said:
@04dcarraher said:

No you blind idiot.

The PS4 system allocation is huge and exagerated,sony reserve such a big size only for future proof the PS4 runs a light OS that would never reach 3GB in size hell even windows 7 runs with less than 3GB.

The only thing i think may get a little affect if anything would be features OS ones,gaming wise the PS4 with 2GB of GDDR5 would beat the xbox one with 5GB quite easy.

That bold part is total bullshit prove it..

So regardless of having less ram the PS4 would still have kick the xbox one ass,in fact the xbox one has 5 to 1 ratio of ram vs the 750ti as well and vs the 7770 and 7790 and all 3 beat the xbox one regardless of it.

Sure it would have been more work to fit more things ram wise but in the end it would be the same results the xbox one bean beat 4GB of ram would have not chage that,other than some in game features like shareplay or something like that the PS4 would have beat it and the evidence is there show me the games where the xbox one beat the 7790...

Sony is a master when it comes to low ram i don't think there is a system other than the PS4 were they weren't at a disadvantage ram wise,Saturn had double the memory N64 way more,xbox had double the ram,GC also had a little more,the 360 had a little more ram to and unified.

I am sure they would have lower footprint on the OS and be done with it.

That secodn bold part is even worse i hope you don't banish from the board when the gains fail to arrive like Blackace did after parading how E3 would be MS big DX12 unveil when in reality it basically was barely talk of for the xbox one and no demos shown...lol

There is no fixing that broken ass consoles,and E3 already happen and fall is getting here soon,so yeah Fable is a DX12 game on both machines and still no demo of DX12 vs DX11.X nothing there is nothing DX12 will do because it is already there,like a few days ago were a developer stated that the 7 core would yield smoother frames for the xbox one as if it wasn't in use already when Project Cars use it and and still was behind..lol

DX12 is shit ass propaganda by MS is MS late copy of Mantle very late i may add keep the hopes alive..lol

@GoldenElementXL said:

Actually ...........

Loading Video...

Yeah the one game a company admit it self to fu** up on purpose on PS4..lol

If liek you lemmings have nothing,fact is the only way the xbox one can run faster is if the developer screw things up,a 7770 will never beat a R265 unless some one mess up.

lol posting stuff you read online.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

@tormentos:

Where is the proof i dare you..

Show me how the xbox one can beat a 7790 because it has more Ram.?

It times it can't even beat a 7770 let alone a 7790 and that video card has 1GB of memory.

So 4GB of GDDR5 would still produce the same results,the only thing i could really see hurting is OS features but gameplay wise the xbox one would still has been beat.

@GoldenElementXL said:

Yes it has system ram but that system ram is not use as Vram like GDDR5 is,in fact system ram operates at the same speed as the xbox one main memory pool,which mean using DDR3 for video will cause the same problems it causes on xbox one,if you need fast bandwidth you use system memory on PC you get into problems period because you lack the bandwidth, is only 68GB/s which most is use by the system and OS it self so what little you can use on PC will not help much.

Look at it this way on xbox one Turn 10 uses DDR3 for the xbox one sky,since the skybox on Forza 5 was dead no dynamic they could do that,now MGS5 on xbox one has a dead skybox to while the PS4 one is dynamic,this is because fitting that dynamic sky with all the assets and effects on 32MB of fast ram wasn't optimal probably couldn't fit there so the decision was made to let the xbox one version with a dead skybox.

The PS4 has 8GB of system memory 3GB are reserve for OS and system,4.5 GB can be use for video and other things related to graphics which would consume Video ram and not system ram on a PC.

Dude the PS3 OS ran on freaking 50MB and is the same Free BSD OS on PS4 modified,the reservation was made because of future proofing we know the reason the PS3 never got Party Chat was because,sony shrink the OS from 125MB on launch to 50MB,after you take away those 75MB and gave it to games you can't take them back because it would ruin performance or simple stop those games from working,so sony play it safe but free BSD doesn't require freaking 3GB to run man is not windows this is a case of having ram to spare,if the PS4 was 4GB i am sure it would not even use 2GB for OS period,did you know all the things the PS3 did with just 50MB.?

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/install-hardware.html

Maybe you should check this ^^ and see for your self with how little Free BSD can run,3GB was say since the go to be to much you are not running windows 7 here but a OS modified for 1 hardware in this case the PS4,last time the PS3 and other devices which was use it.

Your argument is totally null as you are using windows as point and the PS4 doesn't use windows,so running windows with 2gB of system ram will land you into problems but running Free BSD will not,free BSD can be highly customize to what ever ram need you have.

Can you run Windows 7 on a Pentium 1 PC from 20 years ago.? Free BSD you can...

If the PS4 was still 4GB it would still kick the xbox one ass,in fact the xbox one is say to have 5GB or memory for video related things,the PS4 has 4.5 GB still who win the test.? Yeah it is irrelevant unless the PS4 is highly constricted memory wise which 4GB would not be, the vram usage a GPU of the power of the PS4 has is 2GB so that leave 2GB for free BSD and system which is more than enough,hell the PS4 has more vram than a 7870 yet on PC you see sharper textures and larger draw distances how could this be when the PS4 has more ram,hell even 7790 like GPU has been know to beat the PS4 in some game and close to match is and is 1GB Vram.

Using system ram as Vram on PC is only done with things that don't require fast bandwidth as the system feed from that 68GB/s bandwidth as well so does the OS which in windows case we know how memory hungry it is.

@WilliamRLBaker said:

lol posting stuff you read online.

Care to prove me wrong.?

Yeah that is what i though...

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@blueeyedcasva said:

Gameplay footage of Star Wars Battlefront revealed at E3 last month ran at 900p, according to a report by Digital Foundry.

The site states that the footage offers a "genuine, practical look at console gameplay in motion," but follows up by saying that "from an early pixel-count we see the game matches the basic framebuffer setup of Battlefield 4 and Hardline: the evidence suggesting this PS4 build runs at a native 1600x900 with a pass of post-process anti-aliasing."

That's some way away from the initial reveal trailer, which Digital Foundry believes may have been "rendered at a resolution beyond 1080p and likely down-sampled to achieve a crisper image, with a stutter-free frame-rate and footage chopped to give us an idealised vision of the game."

The site also notes that depth of field and per-object motion blur effects featured in the initial trailer are absent from the PS4 demo, too.

What isn't yet clear, however, is how the Xbox One version performs or whether the PS4 resolution could be improved in the run up to launch.

Here the source

The demo is actually 40 to 50s FPS not a constant 60

The mere fact it is 40 to 50 fps is huge for me, I would take that any day over 1080p at 30fps.. That is one of the many reasons I haven't bothered getting one of these consoles this gen is because of the 30fps cap on the majority of these games, for most genres it looks ugly as hell.. Give me 720p or 900p that is upscaled to 1080p on my tv any day if it means I can get 40 to 60fps in every game.

BlueEyedCasva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 BlueEyedCasva
Member since 2015 • 599 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:
@blueeyedcasva said:

Gameplay footage of Star Wars Battlefront revealed at E3 last month ran at 900p, according to a report by Digital Foundry.

The site states that the footage offers a "genuine, practical look at console gameplay in motion," but follows up by saying that "from an early pixel-count we see the game matches the basic framebuffer setup of Battlefield 4 and Hardline: the evidence suggesting this PS4 build runs at a native 1600x900 with a pass of post-process anti-aliasing."

That's some way away from the initial reveal trailer, which Digital Foundry believes may have been "rendered at a resolution beyond 1080p and likely down-sampled to achieve a crisper image, with a stutter-free frame-rate and footage chopped to give us an idealised vision of the game."

The site also notes that depth of field and per-object motion blur effects featured in the initial trailer are absent from the PS4 demo, too.

What isn't yet clear, however, is how the Xbox One version performs or whether the PS4 resolution could be improved in the run up to launch.

Here the source

The demo is actually 40 to 50s FPS not a constant 60

The mere fact it is 40 to 50 fps is huge for me, I would take that any day over 1080p at 30fps.. That is one of the many reasons I haven't bothered getting one of these consoles this gen is because of the 30fps cap on the majority of these games, for most genres it looks ugly as hell.. Give me 720p or 900p that is upscaled to 1080p on my tv any day if it means I can get 40 to 60fps in every game.

I prefer a stable framerate.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By 04dcarraher
@tormentos said:
@04dcarraher said:

@tormentos:

Where is the proof i dare you..

Show me how the xbox one can beat a 7790 because it has more Ram.?

It times it can't even beat a 7770 let alone a 7790 and that video card has 1GB of memory.

So 4GB of GDDR5 would still produce the same results,the only thing i could really see hurting is OS features but gameplay wise the xbox one would still has been beat.

Wow you are really ignorant when it comes to understanding how hardware works eh? or just a trollin cow seeking attention?

You are totally focused on the hardware processing part of the gpu but ignoring the memory aka vram which plays a critical role in how a gpu processes and stores the data to render.

Greater video memory amounts on gpus allows higher quality assets which would saturate a smaller buffer size. Vram grabs and retains highly used items for faster access when the game/gpu needs it. Having a limited memory capacity used to store the higher end of assets will cause the need to swap out less important data which leads to rapidly dumping and fetching things on an on-demand basis. This is an issue with a shared memory pool when the pool is already being fully allocated vs a system with another memory pool to fall onto.

Lets take Skyrim as an example a game that uses alot more than 1gb of vram lets compare the effect of having 1gb vs 2gb on the same gpu the 7850. Running same settings and same resolution 2gb model gets 89% more fps than its 1gb counterpart, even though they are the same gpu.... Now lets take 2gb vs 4gb with more modern games. lets use the GTX 960 for example Farcry 4 using very high settings at 1080p seen a 7 fps difference 58 vs 65 average fps. And that is only a 300mb over saturation on the 2gb card.

When you run out of memory it has to grab data from a slower medium to transfer what is needed and it hurts performance. On pc its to the system memory which much faster than HDD, consoles dont have that option so the affect would be worse.

Problem isnt just as narrow or simple as you think it is trying to compare X1 vs 7790( fact that 7790's tend to have cpu's multiple times faster supporting it vs X1) or comparing a 4gb PS4 vs 8gb X1.

The more detailed the assets developers throw into their games more memory is needed to store that increase in data size. When you dont have the amounts needed at any given time you have the stream and dump non priority data to make room for new data that has to come from slower mediums. For consoles its the slow 5400 rpm hdd in them they have to go to, if they have to swap out data. Those harddrives are not fast enough to stream data to keep up with the X1 or PS4 gpu's which is why they opted for 8gb pool to store all they can without the need to constantly to dump and swap large amounts of data. Its nothing like with the 360 or PS3 where their vram pools which was at 256mb give or take, where a harddrive could stream data well enough to handle the buffer at anytime. Now we are taking about gigabytes of data where not even a SSD could stream data quickly enough not to hurt the gpu's performance.

So no..... having only 4gb on the PS4 would not yield same results as the X1 since PS4 gpu could not use the same quality of assets being rendered. PS4 would use lower quality assets aka detail to prevent issues having a smaller vram pool, and would have suffered from massive fps dips, lower fps averages and stuttering if devs tried to use settings and quality of assets that the 8gb X1 was using.

From a 4gb pool say Sony was able to get the OS and few features down to 1gb , that still only allows a 3gb pool to be shared between game cache and vram for gpu. So its would be ratios like 1.5gb and 1.5gb split or 2gb and 1gb split, that is not enough space to prevent swapping from harddrive on multiple fronts hurting what the PS4 can do fluidly at any given time having to wait on data from the slow hdd.

While yes the examples of gpus are faster then X1 which can perform better they would not be able to render the same type of detail in the assets used because the lack of memory. Methods using virtual texture streaming like PRT would have helped quite a bit but again the other system with more memory could still use the same tech and use even higher quality of assets.

SystemWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 SystemWarrior
Member since 2006 • 40 Posts

That's pretty pathetic! Wish these current gen consoles could constantly run games at 1080p@30fps at least. But nope.