Battlefield 1: Xbox One Dynamic Res Analysis and Frame-Rate Test -- Now with PS4!

• 72 results
Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20105 Posts
  • Dynamic resolution with top resolution being 900p and 720p being the lowest
  • Steady 60fps most of the time
  • Can drop to low 50's during heavy load
  • Top, Bottom and sides of the screen have odd artifacts

Note: It's great to see that Dice finally got a game to run at 900p on the Xbox One.

• Dynamic resolution with top resolution being 1000p (Seriously?) and 900p being the lowest
  • PS4 manages identical performance to XBO except in some areas where PS4 dips lower
  • Artifacts still present in PS4 version
Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

seems the campaign runs a ton smoother than the conquest mp

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

Nice gonna get it for the One anyway and happy to see it perform well.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

The powah of One baby. Yikes, the powah of Mighty Scorpio is almost scary. lol :P

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@Zero_epyon: I wanted to ask do you play any of the games that you make a thread for on here, and if so do you look for frame dips and the like?

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

Good to see they finally getting it right on the Xbox. The main reason I got it on the Playstation is because I was tired of playing Dice games at 720p, it was just disgusting.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zero_epyon

@i_p_daily said:

@Zero_epyon: I wanted to ask do you play any of the games that you make a thread for on here, and if so do you look for frame dips and the like?

Not always. If I do It's either the PS4 or PC version as I don't have an Xbox One. I do find dips distracting, so if they occur often in the console version of games, I'll usually get it for PC. Unless it's a MP game that I play with my PS friends.

But that's me. These threads are meant to be informative. I don't usually put my opinion in these, this being an exception since a dice game has never run at 900p on Xbox since the gen started.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

so basically we are back to playing games at an 11 year old resolution(720p)

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

Lol cute lems specs... they try at least

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

It plays great on my Xbox One, this game is amazing.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Wonder what the multiplayer runs at. On the PS4 we see the framerate dip a lot more during multiplayer.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zero_epyon

@Wasdie said:

Wonder what the multiplayer runs at. On the PS4 we see the framerate dip a lot more during multiplayer.

It was in the beta as well. Drops were constant. I wonder if that wasn't improved.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

Delighted BF1 devs are using Dynamic resolution. Obviously the xbox one hardware is weak, but the Scorpio will take full advantage of this game now next year.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Zero_epyon

@ShepardCommandr said:

so basically we are back to playing games at an 11 year old resolution(720p)

Not for the majority of the game. It only drops to 720p in stressful areas. At least it's an improvement. They used to be at 720p the entire time.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

@Wasdie: Playing it alot know, runs great the only maps that had some fps drops where the desert ones hope they patch that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@Zero_epyon said:
@i_p_daily said:

Not always. If I do It's either the PS4 or PC version as I don't have an Xbox One. I do find dips distracting, so if they occur often in the console version of games, I'll usually get it for PC. Unless it's a MP game that I play with my PS friends.

But that's me. These threads are meant to be informative. I don't usually put my opinion in these, this being an exception since a dice game has never run at 900p on Xbox since the gen started.

I will have to take your word on these articles being informative articles, as they always end up with the usual stupid comments from one faction or another depending on results. Oh and i saw your little rip on Dice/XB1, very subtle, as i don't think anyone noticed, we'll keep that one our little secret (wink, wink lol)

I know that if i posted all this stuff from DF all the time it would affect my gaming experience as i would start looking for things in games and get distracted from actually enjoying a game.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zero_epyon

@i_p_daily said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@i_p_daily said:

I will have to take your word on these articles being informative articles, as they always end up with the usual stupid comments from one faction or another depending on results. Oh and i saw your little rip on Dice/XB1, very subtle, as i don't think anyone noticed, we'll keep that one our little secret (wink, wink lol)

I know that if i posted all this stuff from DF all the time it would affect my gaming experience as i would start looking for things in games and get distracted from actually enjoying a game.

What little rip? I've always been critical of them always having the XBO at 720p and wondered why they couldn't get it to 900p like the PS4. They finally did a dynamic resolution which is an improvement and I praised them for it. Why not join the discussion like others have instead of questioning why these threads exist? Leave that to the mods.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@howmakewood said:

seems the campaign runs a ton smoother than the conquest mp

Duh. That is always the case.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@Zero_epyon: Settle down dude, are we a bit sensitive today lol.

I just find these articles as SW bait, now that may not be your intention, but they tend to end that way.

I was geniunely interested in your response about looking for things in games instead of enjoying them, because for me at least that's what would happen.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zero_epyon

@i_p_daily said:

I just find these articles as SW bait, now that may not be your intention, but they tend to end that way.

I was geniunely interested in your response about looking for things in games instead of enjoying them, because for me at least that's what would happen.

You just made up something false, accused me of it and when I address it, you call me sensitive? Sure, why not.

Let the mods be the judge of that, and if it bothers you, don't read the thread. All you're doing is derailing it.

Meanwhile you have no issue with DC making a thumb response thread though. Thumbs up!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@Zero_epyon said:
@i_p_daily said:

You just made up something false, accused me of it and when I address it, you call me sensitive? Sure, why not.

Let the mods be the judge of that, and if it bothers you, don't read the thread. All you're doing is derailing it.

Meanwhile you have no issue with DC making a thumb response thread though. Thumbs up!

I said that these threads end up being bait threads for people to fight over, i never said you do it on purpose, i said i will have to take your word for it, or are we talking about the joke i said with the wink, wink. In the end you can take it however you want, not my problem you can't take a joke.

As for DC's thread, it was stupid fun, a joke thread, something this board needs once in a while instead of the usual threads. You could have joined in on the fun in that thread, but instead you went all serious and said this

Well the PS brand just got VR, is going to be the first console capable of 4K and will be available for an entire year before scorpio, and has a promising lineup for the first half of 2016.

Can't say much for MS except for their mystery console a year from now.

Have fun with your thread i will leave it and let you carry on with your serious discussion, and my bad for "derailing" it, have a nice day :)

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

Man Frostbite is one truly amazing engine. BF1 looks pretty damn good even at 720p.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

the game looks incredible even at 720p

Dice is so pro

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

Good to see them improving Frostbite engine performance on Xbox One. This game looks great, they're doing a much better job this time around. This game looks great. Unfortunately I won't be getting it day one but definitely picking up first chance I get.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Going from 900p to 720p is drastic.

That shit would drive me bonkers. I'd keep thinking "omg what's wrong with my eyes!?!???"

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:

That shit would drive me bonkers. I'd keep thinking "omg what's wrong with my eyes!?!???"

Sounds insane to me. If I noticed my game getting even the slightest more blurry just because the action was ramping up, I'd probably just save up for a PC. That sounds like straight shite.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Definitive console version confirmed

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Zero_epyon

@i_p_daily said:

@i_p_daily said:
@Zero_epyon said:

I said that these threads end up being bait threads for people to fight over, i never said you do it on purpose, i said i will have to take your word for it, or are we talking about the joke i said with the wink, wink. In the end you can take it however you want, not my problem you can't take a joke.

As for DC's thread, it was stupid fun, a joke thread, something this board needs once in a while instead of the usual threads. You could have joined in on the fun in that thread, but instead you went all serious and said this

Well the PS brand just got VR, is going to be the first console capable of 4K and will be available for an entire year before scorpio, and has a promising lineup for the first half of 2016.

Can't say much for MS except for their mystery console a year from now.

Have fun with your thread i will leave it and let you carry on with your serious discussion, and my bad for "derailing" it, have a nice day :)

That's what I was referring to. You accused me of trying to stealth insult dice. You made that up, and I proved it. So you turn around and called me sensitive, as opposed to just taking it back and admitting you were wrong.

Yeah I ignored the obvious troll part of that thread and answered the initial question. If you think I'm trolling, then ignore it. That's my advice.

Threads like these don't end up the way you claim. If they did, they'd be locked since troll posts aren't really allowed. You didn't seem to have this problem for the Gears 4 or Forza Horizon 3 threads though. So what's the real issue here?

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

@Zero_epyon: just another butthurt lem. Let the man dream.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Zero_epyon

@KHAndAnime said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:

Sounds insane to me. If I noticed my game getting even the slightest more blurry just because the action was ramping up, I'd probably just save up for a PC. That sounds like straight shite.

Looks like the PS4 is doing the same too, though it is 1000p to 900p. I'm leaning towards the PC version. I'll get it next month during the thanksgiving sales.

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Quicksilver128
Member since 2003 • 7075 Posts

@Zero_epyon: 1000p to 900p.

PS4 pro should easily hit 1080p and beyond.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

So the Pro version will have 2k-4k dynamic res? :P :P :P :P :P

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Zero_epyon

@Quicksilver128 said:

@Zero_epyon: 1000p to 900p.

haha thanks for catching that typo!

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Mr_Huggles_dog

@Zero_epyon said:
@KHAndAnime said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:

Looks like the PS4 is doing the same too, though it is 1000p to 900p. I'm leaning towards the PC version. I'll get it next month during the thanksgiving sales.

I have it and I wouldn't get it unless you're wanting a good single player experince.

I don't know where these reviewers are getting that the single player part is really good.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lamprey263

PS4 framreate drops are more substantial, but sports a slightly higher dynamic resolution range, guess that's the trade off.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

PS4 framreate drops are more substantial, but sports a slightly higher dynamic resolution range, guess that's the trade off.

I think its not really a trade off. Its simply ps4 is more capable console at those settings then xboxone. The severity of xboxone drops at the ps4 like settings warranted it to not touch that standard for the game. Where devs feel that they have hit enough playable target.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I don't get it. At first, they said that the resolution drops to 640p and now the minimum is 900p? Or was the 640p for multiplayer?

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

By the time I get this it will be for the PS4 Pro. I'll eventually get the PC version too but I prefer to play these sort of games on console.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zero_epyon

@quadknight said:

By the time I get this it will be for the PS4 Pro. I'll eventually get the PC version too but I prefer to play these sort of games on console.

Are they doing anything with the pro version?

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mr_Huggles_dog

wtf is a 1000p?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lamprey263
@ellos said:
@lamprey263 said:

I think its not really a trade off. Its simply ps4 is more capable console at those settings then xboxone. The severity of xboxone drops at the ps4 like settings warranted it to not touch that standard for the game. Where devs feel that they have hit enough playable target.

Well, it's dropping more frames than the Xbox One, yet it's got a higher dynamic resolution; I'd say that's a trade-off.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Zero_epyon: since the code dynamically scales the resolution to (try to) hit a framerate target, my guess is the Pro will simply hit 1080p and higher resolutions more reliably than the PS4 without any patching. Yes, I know Sony said "the framerate can't be different from the base model" - but that HAS to be referring to the target framerates. They can't enforce "the same" frame drops, which are natural, completely uncontrolled deviations due to hardware failing to deliver what the code is asking for in a timely manner. So they had to mean "a game with a 30fps 'lock' at 1080p on PS4 will have to offer the same on Pro"

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

@silversix_:

That was a Conquest Multiplayer analysis, and it was made by VGTech, not Digital Foundry.

It may be possible the scaling factor is more aggressive while playing the mp

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

@loe12k said:

Delighted BF1 devs are using Dynamic resolution. Obviously the xbox one hardware is weak, but the Scorpio will take full advantage of this game now next year.

Yup, Dynamic Res is great and another benefit to it is that Scorpio will automatically and dramatically improve these games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@Kruiz_Bathory: Butthurt lem, over what exactly?

@Zero_epyon: Not my fault you can't take a joke, i thought the whole wink, wink, lol part would have tipped you off, but i guess not. Oh and an here's an actual accusation, why don't you take that stick out of your arse and lighten up, that way you might end up having a nice day :)

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ellos

@xantufrog said:

@Zero_epyon: since the code dynamically scales the resolution to (try to) hit a framerate target, my guess is the Pro will simply hit 1080p and higher resolutions more reliably than the PS4 without any patching. Yes, I know Sony said "the framerate can't be different from the base model" - but that HAS to be referring to the target framerates. They can't enforce "the same" frame drops, which are natural, completely uncontrolled deviations due to hardware failing to deliver what the code is asking for in a timely manner. So they had to mean "a game with a 30fps 'lock' at 1080p on PS4 will have to offer the same on Pro"

If i understand what your saying It will need patching to take any advantage of faster hardware. Reading latest eurogamer inside the ps4 pro development. On base mode sony gimps the ps4pro hardware to match vanilla ps4 spec for safer compatibility reasons. Games without patch pro mode will have same profile as the ps4 same issues. However this game is in that window of must have a pro mode.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

Holy, the XB1 looks like a x360 game. I wonder if it being at 900-720p is why it looks fugly?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@ellos: Games will need patches to add new Pro specific features (better textures, lighting, higher resolutions, higher framerate caps, whatever).

But base PS4 games, while running identical code on the Pro, could/should in theory hold more stable without a patch. That was my point. Because the bone stock PS4 code for game X might enforce a framerate cap (say, 30fps) in order to help smooth out gameplay on the PS4. But the framedrops - the cases where it falls to 20fps - are a failure of the hardware to hit the frame cap. This is something that Sony cannot enforce on more powerful hardware - in fact they'd need to come up with some wacky patch in order to try to force it to stumble the same amount! So the game will have the same frame cap on the two systems, but the Pro should naturally do a better job meeting that frame cap. Think of it like you have a PC running a Radeon 7870. You set your game at a 30fps frame cap and a certain detail level - one that is high enough that your PC can't always hold at the 30. Now you swap in an RX470. You don't touch anything - same settings, same frame cap. It will look the same and still won't exceed 30fps, but you can bet that places in the game where that cranky 7870 couldn't keep up will do better at holding to 30fps.

Taking that logic a step further: in cases like BF1, the bone stock PS4 game dynamically changes resolution to try to hold a framerate - I'm going out on a limb here and suggesting that if a system (the Pro) has less difficulty holding a framerate target, then the code will less frequently need to down-scale the resolution over the course of your time with the game.

Some have pointed out that in some cases the frame drops are due to the CPU and not the GPU, however - in those cases, the Pro may only do marginally better. Its overclock is actually substantial over the PS4 - over 8 cores, that GHz boost is meaningful. Nevertheless, it's still that sad little Jaguar at the end of the day. So how much of a cure-all the Pro will be for frame drops on base PS4 games will vary depending on the source of the drop.

I'd love to see technical analysis of how this plays out in a wide swath of unpatched games, but I doubt even DigitalFoundry will bother. I think everyone's attention will be on the "upgraded" games and how they look and perform.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ellos

@xantufrog: Unfortunately that wacky patch for ps4 pro is called base mode, which is the default mode of unpatched games. We might see minor differences but for the most part its meant to mirror ps4. The 900p - 1000p thresh hold will be the same and frame rates probably will be the same.

But what about deploying the additional Pro GPU power in base PS4 mode, similar to the Xbox One S? Or even just retaining the 111MHz GPU frequency boost? For Sony, it's all about playing it safe, to ensure that the existing 700 titles just work.

"I've done a number of experiments looking for issues when frequencies vary and... well... [laughs] I think first and foremost, we need everything to work flawlessly. We don't want people to be conscious of any issues that may arise when they move from the standard model to the PS4 Pro."

You would hope that games with variable profiles will have additional allowed hardware power to scale but seems not. Richard was asking Cerny if that effect like xboxone s will show up. Not only the CU on the gpu are gimped to match the ps4 but the clock speeds for both gpu and cpu are pared back. The best use for the pro could have been you put on a game with variable profile and you immediately get a boost of performance stabilising current console profiles. Its seems that Sony couldn't guarantee compatibility we will have to wait for patches, which is a shame because the profiles for some of those patches will be fixed what ever choices devs make.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

if you actually look closely it seems like ps4 has the crushed blacks this time