jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#52 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

One thing I see people make an assumption on is that the game is going to be first person. Nintendo has been know to shake things up with it's franchises. After Super Metroid I never expected the series to go first person. After the spaceworld trailer for Zelda showing an adult Link battling Ganon I never expected Wind Waker.

Nintendo could shake things up with Metroid. I wouldn't be surprised if it were 3rd person. I personally would rather the series go 3rd person. I'm not a fan of first person games. I would like to see the screw attack and hyper mode return. I just don't think these features could be done well in first person. Traditionally Japanese devs don't do first person much. I know it's Singapore which isn't Japanese but Nintendo will have plenty of oversight on the project.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#53 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@jdc6305: Prefer 3rd person over first person view also...so I do hope its 3rd person..& not just in morph ball mode. :)

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#54 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

Don't know what to think, just hope all ends up well.

I'd of preferred personally that Team Ninja got another crack at the franchise, I thought as far as their work on Other M went they did a fine job, I know many have a stick up their ass about the story, but I'm sure the blame for that falls on Sakamoto.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#55 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Don't know what to think, just hope all ends up well.

I'd of preferred personally that Team Ninja got another crack at the franchise, I thought as far as their work on Other M went they did a fine job, I know many have a stick up their ass about the story, but I'm sure the blame for that falls on Sakamoto.

Other M gameplay was nice. That gameplay improved, with improved exploration, atmosphere and a story that tells itelf through gameplay, and we'd have a really sweet Metroid.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b173a489ba56
deactivated-5b173a489ba56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#56 deactivated-5b173a489ba56
Member since 2017 • 367 Posts

The last Namco Bandai game I played was Mobile Suit Gundam Crossfire for the PS3.

Clearly Metroid is in good hands.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@loodko_koopus said:
@onesiphorus said:
@Epak_ said:

Weird dev decision, BUT they might bring something new to the Metroid formula.

A few years ago, I thought it was strange for Bandai Namco for being the developer for Super Smash Bros. for the 3DS and Wii U.

Is there even a bad Bandai Namco game?

Every single f*cking Gundam game

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

I've very little faith left in Nintendo's ability to bring full bore to Metroid effectively, not only that they consider it a low-tier IP because "it doesn't sell" (which is a bullshit reason for them not handling it with great care like they do Mario, btw), and for which I'm sure their developmental budgetary allocation will end up reflecting. Also, I'm skeptical they even understand what the appeal of this franchise really is anymore. The 3DS game was in the right direction, but it's not a mainline entry, and it has been a very long time since the original Prime. Perhaps in this case it's best for it to be entirely outside of Nintendo's creative discretions, but part of me wants Nintendo's in-house talent working on it instead of this continual outsourcing.

To be perfectly blunt, my faith for a good (much less great) entry in this franchise hangs by a thread, and if I'm to err, it will be on the side of caution to spare me another disappointment towards an IP I love so much but that Nintendo has largely neglected (or screwed up) over the years. This is where it pays to be a pessimist: I'm never left disappointed but am often pleasantly surprised. Let's hope Prime 4 proves that accurate.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@foxhound_fox said:

True rumour or not, I'm not sure how I feel about that. Like, they did well with Smash Bros because they are experienced with fighting games... but a first person game that focuses heavily on atmosphere and exploration?

I've said it many times before, but after Doom 2016, I think id Software should handle a Metroid Prime.

Only if Samus gets a shotgun-esque weapon.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#60  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I just looked a little more into it. This is a new studio in Singapore, filled with development veterans. They basically put together an elite sci-fi dev team that includes people from the LucasArts studio that was working on the then promising Starwars 1313. Now that I read a little about it, it sounds like that game was to be remarkably similar to a Metroid Prime game. Including having a bounty hunter (Boba Fett) as a protagonist who would upgrade his armor throughout the game.

And supposedly (this is rumoured) people from previous Metroid Prime games, including the director Kensuke Tanabe, are part of the team. (Who is -for anyone who is concerned- not the director of Other M. Both this news and the name of this project insinuates that they want to make an actual Metroid Prime game and not a Metroid game with a different type of core gameplay.)

When people mentioned Bandai Namco I was a little surprised, but it sounds like this is the 'hand picked' team that was being whispered about on the street, and that makes me feel confident that they have exactly the right people for the job.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#61 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

@KungfuKitten said:

I just looked into it a little more and this is a new studio in Singapore, yet filled with development veterans including people from the LucasArts studio that was working on the then promising Starwars 1313 (which was to be remarkably similar to a Metroid Prime game now that I read a little about it. Including having a bounty hunter (Boba Fett) as a protagonist who upgrades his armor throughout the game.

They basically put together an elite sci-fi dev team, with what is rumoured to be people from previous Metroid Prime games including the director Kensuke Tanabe. (Who is, for anyone who is worried, not the director of Other M. Both this and the name insinuates that they want to make another Metroid Prime game and not something with a different type of core gameplay.)

At first I was a little surprised, but it sounds like this is the 'hand picked' team that was being whispered about, and that makes me feel confident that they have the right people for the job.

Thanks for making me excited. The wait is gonna be way harder now. Douche. :P

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 KungfuKitten

@Litchie: Hehehe, gotcha.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#63 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19545 Posts

Bandai Namco Singapore is still a new untested studio. Their only known credits to date are Mario Sports Superstars and Tales of Berseria. However, the Singapore studio apparently has a number of talent from Bandai Namco, LucasArts, and Ubisoft Shanghai.

David719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By David719
Member since 2007 • 2187 Posts

@Jag85:

I remember hearing former Eurocom team members were also involved.

Can't find where I read that though.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Jag85

@David719 said:

@Jag85:

I remember hearing former Eurocom team members were also involved.

Can't find where I read that though.

Yeah, Eurocom too. Along with staff from Bandai Namco in Japan, and former staff from LucasArts and Ubisoft Shanghai.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#66 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

@lebanese_boy said:

I'm keeping an open mind about this. Remember how everyone was crapping on Retro when they were announced to be the devs behind Metroid Prime? Ah at least half of you wouldn't, I'm just old.

I remember. We were all like, who? Nintendo doesn't farm their IP's out without keeping a close eye on them. I trust this will turn out well enough.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67  Edited By lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

@sonic_spark said:
@lebanese_boy said:

I'm keeping an open mind about this. Remember how everyone was crapping on Retro when they were announced to be the devs behind Metroid Prime? Ah at least half of you wouldn't, I'm just old.

I remember. We were all like, who? Nintendo doesn't farm their IP's out without keeping a close eye on them. I trust this will turn out well enough.

I would have used the pepperidge farm meme instead but this one works too XD

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

I'm curious if they will go for graphics at 30fps or less graphics for 60fps. With closed areas, they can probably make it look pretty great on switch hardware. Full 1080p please!

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6609 Posts

@jdc6305 said:

One thing I see people make an assumption on is that the game is going to be first person. Nintendo has been know to shake things up with it's franchises. After Super Metroid I never expected the series to go first person. After the spaceworld trailer for Zelda showing an adult Link battling Ganon I never expected Wind Waker.

Nintendo could shake things up with Metroid. I wouldn't be surprised if it were 3rd person. I personally would rather the series go 3rd person. I'm not a fan of first person games. I would like to see the screw attack and hyper mode return. I just don't think these features could be done well in first person. Traditionally Japanese devs don't do first person much. I know it's Singapore which isn't Japanese but Nintendo will have plenty of oversight on the project.

It's called Prime 4 so expect it to be set in first person just like the previous 3 prime games.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#70 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@boycie:

Trying to remember the last fpa game Namco Bandai made.....? I got nothing.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

To be released by Namcot.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Jag85

Metroid & Namco trivia:

Namco's arcade game Baraduke (1985) may have inspired Metroid (1986). Baraduke's female protagonist Toby "Kissy" Masuyo was strikingly similar to Samus Aran.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Jag85

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@boycie:

Trying to remember the last fpa game Namco Bandai made.....? I got nothing.

Depends what you mean by "fpa", or "first-person adventure". If you mean an "adventure game" with a first-person perspective (what it traditionally meant), then Bandai Namco has plenty of those. But if you mean an "action-adventure game" with a first-person perspective (what it meant after Metroid Prime), then I can't think of any right now.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#74 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Jag85:

Oh thank god! I thought everyone on GS was deliberately ignoring me! ?

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 KungfuKitten

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@Jag85:

No you're cute. Just didn't know what to say.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Jag85

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@Jag85:

It's System Wars. To get more attention, you need to start trashing on rival systems.