B..b..but 60 FPS doesn't matter! - Halo MC Collection

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#151 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

@MonsieurX: ok, I'll give you that but Halo took it to a completely other level.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
@MonsieurX said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:
@Suppaman100 said:

Well...can't polish a turd.

Halo was and is nothing more than a mediocre bro shooter.

OK Cow!! Halo is the game that paved the way for console FPS's! Bow down Sony peasant, the king is back!!!

GoldenEye did it first

N64 set a lot in motion. I know that is off topic but damn that console was revolutionary.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44206 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

@MonsieurX: ok, I'll give you that but Halo took it to a completely other level.

Eh no matter give it to Bungie or Rare two of mah long time favs... I win. :P

funkmaster1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#154  Edited By funkmaster1233
Member since 2014 • 706 Posts

I never wanted to get an Xbone but sadly I can't resist this collection. There are a few other games that look great too so that's also a bonus.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#155 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@timster20 said:

@Wasdie said:

@timster20 said:

There are people who play CoD and BF on pc with controllers. There are people who play Halo, CoD and BF on consoles with m/kb.

That doesn't change anything.

Competitive play on the consoles is done with a controller and on the PC it's done with a mouse and keyboard. The two don't mix.

Simply playing online against others is competitive play. Such a minute fraction of gamers actually compete in gaming events I don't see how that even entered into the discussion.

M/kb is getting more and more popular on console. MS and Sony probably don't mind since they hope it will win over the pc crowd.

Demand for those peripherals is extremely light. Compared to the millions upon millions that play console FPSs, the amount of people using a mouse is probably less than .1%. They do that because it gives them an edge on the other players because in a mouse vs. analog stick situation, the mouse is better.

Mouse and keyboard does not work well with most console setups. You need a desk to comfortably use a mouse and keyboard and the screen needs to be centered perfectly with your viewing angle. It's built purely for a desk. People who use them on consoles set up their consoles like a desktop PC or set up in such a way it emulates a desktop PC. At that point you might as well be gaming on the PC.

The only reason people use those things is to give themselves and advantage. That's it. They aren't allowed in competitive play so real competitive players never touch them. The average user (see 99.9%) never use a mouse with a console either.

There is a very small demand and it's mostly CoD/Halo players wanting a small advantage in matchmaking. That's it. That's not an indication of changing trends.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#156 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@prawephet said:

@lostrib: I posted the reason why. The Xbox One is a weak turd. The WiiU could run that game at 60fps. Lol, stupid lemmings.

who are you talking to?

And that's not the reason, it's because they gave halo 2 the ability to switch between old and new versions on the fly so it has to run both at the same time. And that is only for the campaign.

"There's absolutely no reason why the remastered Halo 2 can't run at full 1080p at 60fps," he said. "It's the developer's insistence at being able to switch between remastered and classic modes that explains the sub-native presentation"

timster20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By timster20
Member since 2014 • 399 Posts

@Wasdie said:

@timster20 said:

@Wasdie said:

That doesn't change anything.

Competitive play on the consoles is done with a controller and on the PC it's done with a mouse and keyboard. The two don't mix.

Simply playing online against others is competitive play. Such a minute fraction of gamers actually compete in gaming events I don't see how that even entered into the discussion.

M/kb is getting more and more popular on console. MS and Sony probably don't mind since they hope it will win over the pc crowd.

Demand for those peripherals is extremely light. Compared to the millions upon millions that play console FPSs, the amount of people using a mouse is probably less than .1%. They do that because it gives them an edge on the other players because in a mouse vs. analog stick situation, the mouse is better.

Mouse and keyboard does not work well with most console setups. You need a desk to comfortably use a mouse and keyboard and the screen needs to be centered perfectly with your viewing angle. It's built purely for a desk. People who use them on consoles set up their consoles like a desktop PC or set up in such a way it emulates a desktop PC. At that point you might as well be gaming on the PC.

The only reason people use those things is to give themselves and advantage. That's it. They aren't allowed in competitive play so real competitive players never touch them. The average user (see 99.9%) never use a mouse with a console either.

There is a very small demand and it's mostly CoD/Halo players wanting a small advantage in matchmaking. That's it. That's not an indication of changing trends.

The demand is stronger than ever though.

Advantage isn't the only reason. Some people may do it because they have friends who play on console or to get away from pc CoD's hackers and low player base.

The advantage isn't as large on console as pc since console mp has aim assist and no mouse adapter can give true 1:1 control.

Mouse and keyboard doesn't work well with console setups? That would be blasphemy to some of the hermits here.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 lostrib

@timster20: why do you have alts?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Wasdie  Moderator

@timster20 said:

Advantage isn't the only reason. Some people may do it because they have friends who play on console or to get away from pc CoD's hackers and low player base.

The advantage isn't as large on console as pc since console mp has aim assist and no mouse adapter can give true 1:1 control.

Mouse and keyboard doesn't work well with console setups? That would be blasphemy to some of the hermits here.

Demand is stronger than ever when demand before was 0.

Mouse and keyboard doesn't work well with a console setup. I have it at home. I use it just for internet browsing as gaming is basically impossible. I actually use a wireless 360 controller if I play games on my HDTV from my PC. Otherwise I stick to my consoles. I even bought Shadow of Mordor on my PS4 over my PC for that exact reason.

PC gaming is meant to be done on a desk with the monitor mostly aligned with your head and a mouse and keyboard in front of you. PC exclusives are built for higher PPI screens and much smaller viewing distances to text is smaller and FoVs are higher. Console games have larger text and smaller FoVs due to the lower PPI screens and longer viewing distances to the TV.

Though I do love how console games have forced developers to look at how useful the UIs and HUDs are. PC gamers bash console games for having very simple HUDs but I love that. Old PC game interfaces sucked. They were unintuitive, cluttered, and made little sense. A lot of modern PC exclusives have seen a lot of slimming down due to console devs doing a lot of work of trying to make more out of less.

With UIs less is almost always more. If you can display the same amount of information by showing the user less and giving the user less to interact with, then the UI is probably going to be better.

timster20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 timster20

@Wasdie said:

@timster20 said:

Demand is stronger than ever when demand before was 0.

Mouse and keyboard doesn't work well with a console setup. I have it at home. I use it just for internet browsing as gaming is basically impossible. I actually use a wireless 360 controller if I play games on my HDTV from my PC. Otherwise I stick to my consoles. I even bought Shadow of Mordor on my PS4 over my PC for that exact reason.

PC gaming is meant to be done on a desk with the monitor mostly aligned with your head and a mouse and keyboard in front of you. PC exclusives are built for higher PPI screens and much smaller viewing distances to text is smaller and FoVs are higher. Console games have larger text and smaller FoVs due to the lower PPI screens and longer viewing distances to the TV.

Though I do love how console games have forced developers to look at how useful the UIs and HUDs are. PC gamers bash console games for having very simple HUDs but I love that. Old PC game interfaces sucked. They were unintuitive, cluttered, and made little sense. A lot of modern PC exclusives have seen a lot of slimming down due to console devs doing a lot of work of trying to make more out of less.

With UIs less is almost always more. If you can display the same amount of information by showing the user less and giving the user less to interact with, then the UI is probably going to be better.

As far as demand I meant that for instance the xim 4 is selling better than the xim 3 for instance.

The rest I agree with.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 lostrib

@timster20: source?

timster20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 timster20

@lostrib said:

If preorders are 10x higher than expected then it's safe to say it's selling better.

Yes, the pre-order was actually 10x bigger than we anticipated. We closed the store to allow us to catch up and fix some things (like the insurance issue).

http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=34086.0

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 lostrib

@timster20 said:

@lostrib said:

If preorders are 10x higher than expected then it's safe to say it's selling better.

Yes, the pre-order was actually 10x bigger than we anticipated. We closed the store to allow us to catch up and fix some things (like the insurance issue).

So you have not actual source on sales numbers or if its sales are actually better

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@lostrib said:

@timster20 said:

@lostrib said:

So you have not actual source on sales numbers or if its sales are actually better

I'm sure it will move some consoles, but I dont think we'll see Halo3 type numbers for the game itself. Guess we'll see. I'm getting it but I didn't preorder since there was no CE.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 lostrib

@Heil68 said:

@lostrib said:

@timster20 said:

@lostrib said:

I'm sure it will move some consoles, but I dont think we'll see Halo3 type numbers for the game itself. Guess we'll see. I'm getting it but I didn't preorder since there was no CE.

you seem confused about what we're talking about

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Heil68

@lostrib said:

@Heil68 said:

@lostrib said:

@timster20 said:

@lostrib said:

you seem confused about what we're talking about

pre-orders for the game? :P Otherwise I just put on some of my random thoughts..lol

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Looking good. wish there was a CE.

I see one will be out in the U.K. I wonder why no U.S. version? Short end of the stick or surprise?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Heil68

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@Heil68 said:

Looking good. wish there was a CE.

I see one will be out in the U.K. I wonder why no U.S. version? Short end of the stick or surprise?

That sucks. I would honestly buy it. In the mean time I picked up the MC helmet form Halo3 from Ebay! :D

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

Let's use Amazon.... I know... I know..... /pfffttt

Halo: MCC has been in the top 50 since announced... and rising the closer to the release.

The game is the GAME to get this year. Exclusive wise. IMO

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#170 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

I honestly dgaf about 1080p.. I will take all games at 720p if it meant it stayed at a rock steady 60fps.. I could take last gen console graphics for another 5 years easily.. Because what games are lacking right now are not graphics.. Graphics in my mind has become a crutch for developers who are making the same shit over and over again.. I haven't seen actual hardware enhancements lead to radical gameplay changes in a very long time now..

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 lostrib

@b4x: not exclusive

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 B4X

@lostrib said:

Explain... Where you can play 1080p 60fps Halo.... All of the numbered Halos for the matter.... 100+ multiplayer maps In one place... for 60 bucks?

Then throw in the Halo 5 Beta.

Don't even try to tell me the game will not be different. Watch the media on IGN.... 60fps changes all.

You play on the PC.. Am I wrong?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Wasdie  Moderator

@lostrib said:

It's exclusive. The Xbox 360 and Xbox aren't relevant anymore. We've moved on. Nobody is going to go off and buy those consoles just to play Halo when you can get a current gen console and play these. Same with when a new version of a game is out, the old versions are kind of irrelevant for perspective new players.

We can argue semantics or we can just be logical. It's exclusive.

And yes, this logic applies to all HD remakes on modern consoles.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@Wasdie said:

@lostrib said:

It's exclusive. The Xbox 360 and Xbox aren't relevant anymore. We've moved on. Nobody is going to go off and buy those consoles just to play Halo when you can get a current gen console and play these. Same with when a new version of a game is out, the old versions are kind of irrelevant for perspective new players.

ok cool. so that would mean the last of us remastered is also an exclusive, yes?

but what about forza horizon 2? according to some people the games are fairly different, and even if they weren't the xbox 360 version ... is it 'kind of irrelevant'?

i see your point here wasdie and i'm genuinely interested in how you'd classify these two games.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 B4X

@Wasdie said:

@lostrib said:

This package isn't even remotely the same game as the originals.. When they launched.

It's not even CLOSE.... It may look the same... not... Play the same as the originals at 60fps... I'm going to have to go with a no on that....

This is a new experience. It's not even comparable. I agree with you.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 lostrib

@Wasdie: I believe the rules of SW say otherwise.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By B4X

@lostrib said:

Prove to us that it's the same experience.... That there will not be a massive difference than the originals.

Put a GeForce 480 in your PC.. go play Battlefield 4... Tell me it's the same game?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 lostrib

@Wasdie: @b4x: "Remakes, or next generation ports are not considered to be "exclusive." "

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#179 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

@lostrib said:

Does anyone even keep count of that spread sheet anymore? It's been a long time since I've seen someone actually reference it.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 B4X

@lostrib said:

@Wasdie: @b4x: "Remakes, or next generation ports are not considered to be "exclusive." "

Prove it. Drop a 480 in your Rig go play Battlefield 4... Post videos of both experiences.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 lostrib

@b4x: you're really claiming that because a game is played at higher resolution/fps it can be considered a whole different game and exclusive. So because BF4 is 1080p on my PC, BF4 is a PC exclusive?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 lostrib

@b4x: prove what? Those are the rules of SW

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By B4X

@lostrib said:

@b4x: you're really claiming that because a game is played at higher resolution/fps it can be considered a whole different game and exclusive. So because BF4 is 1080p on my PC, BF4 is a PC exclusive?

**** yes, it's a whole different game. There's no debate to be had. You do play on a PC right?

It's night and day. Drop a 480 in your pc... while I'm playing on a 780... let me know how that turns out for ya.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 CrownKingArthur

guys guys guys wtf man?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 lostrib

@b4x: ...I don't have a 480. So my PC games are all exclusive because they can be played at higher settings than consoles?

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By B4X

@lostrib said:

@b4x: ...I don't have a 480. So my PC games are all exclusive because they can be played at higher settings than consoles?

Different standards. Closed VS Open. Don't even tell me the guy pulling 60+ fps on the PC will not dominate a guy at 30 fps. Even skilled. You would be dead before your PC client side net framework would process the information. You would THINK you're shooting.... when you're all ready dead.

Lets do this then.... Halo 2 and Halo 2 are cross play between the Xbox and X1.

Multi-player mind you. Are the games different by a mile... Who wins every time of two evenly skill players?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 lostrib

@b4x: that doesn't make them exclusive games

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 B4X

@lostrib said:

@b4x: that doesn't make them exclusive games

Does it make them different?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 lostrib

@b4x: different yes, exclusive no.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#190 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@b4x: Ahh trick question. The human eye can't see above 30 FPS. So the 60 FPS players screen will be blurred beyond belief while the 30 FPS player will be killing him nonstop.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 B4X

@lostrib said:

If the experience CHANGES 100%.... How are they the same?

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By B4X

@bldgirsh said:

@b4x: Ahh trick question. The human eye can't see above 30 FPS. So the 60 FPS players screen will be blurred beyond belief while the 30 FPS player will be killing him nonstop.

:)

timster20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 timster20

@lostrib said:

@timster20 said:

It's called common sense.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 lostrib

@b4x said:

@lostrib said:

If the experience CHANGES 100%.... How are they the same?

wut...

Just read the SW rules

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

I think you's are arguing the wrong points. If SW rules state its not exclusive, fair enough. But outside SW where logic still applies, there isn't a package like the MCC. This isn't just your bog standard remaster like TLOU where you experience exactly what you did on the PS3, but prettier.

It a whole new package, combined within a bespoke UI that removes linearity and allows you to experience the games in a totally new way. The package itself is 100% exclusive, but comprised of a lot of content that isn't.

However saying that, the remade Halo 2 multiplayer is exclusive to xbox one.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 Wasdie  Moderator
@lostrib said:

They are illogical and have absolutely no influence on a consumer's decision and should never be referenced in any discussion that isn't strictly talking about the pointless meta of System Wars.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 Wasdie  Moderator

@CrownKingArthur said:

ok cool. so that would mean the last of us remastered is also an exclusive, yes?

but what about forza horizon 2? according to some people the games are fairly different, and even if they weren't the xbox 360 version ... is it 'kind of irrelevant'?

i see your point here wasdie and i'm genuinely interested in how you'd classify these two games.

It's really ambiguous sadly and it varies from game to game. Halo, especially CE through Reach, on the Xbox and Xbox 360 at this point is irrelevant because they are older. Now Halo 4 was newer and one could argue is still relevant. I personally don't think it was because it wasn't extremely well received at this time and standalone I doubt anybody would go out of their way to acquire an Xbox 360 just to play it at this point when they can get an Xbox One and play it.

It really comes down to what would the consumer do at this point. Would they buy or somehow acquire a last-gen console to play the game if they can get it on a modern console that has a future? Odds are they would do that in this case.

In the case of TLoU Remastered, fans would have already played it on the PS3. It's fresh on people's memories. What differs between TLoU Remastered and the Master Chief collection is that the MC collection has a brand new remake of Halo 2, packs in 3 classic games and the newest entry in the series, brings back multiplier for all of the games (something you physically cannot play for 2 of the games), and ties them all together seamlessly in one package. It's so much more robust, comparing something like TLoU Remastered to the Master Chief Collection isn't really fair.

At the same time to prospective buyers, the TLoU Remastered is definitely a factor even if they didn't play it. It's silly to ignore the fact a highly praised game on the PS3 is now better on the PS4 bolstering that game lineup. In that context TLoU Remastered is a major exclusive and a major plus.

However if you have played it, TLoU Remastered doesn't really matter that much.

But for the sake of arguing I would say TLoU Remastered is exclusive. In 5 years the PS3 version won't matter as people's PS3s break, get discarded, sold, lost. The PS4 verison will matter because it's going to be playable on a current gen console that can be bought. It matters to all people buying a PS4 now and in the future.

I have always believed exclusive games are more of a manufacturer exclusive rather than platform except on the PC. I don't consider the PC owned by Microsoft so something on the PC and another console/handheld/tablet isn't exclusive. But something on the PS3, Vita, PS4? Exclusive. Xbox One, Xbox 360, Windows 8 tablet? Exclusive. Wii, WiiU, 3DS? Exclusive. That just makes the most sense to me.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 CrownKingArthur

@Wasdie: thanks man for your perspective. yeah i think that's a good way to think about it, what the consumer's gonna do, and where their money ends up.

definitely agree re: tlou; it's PS3/PS4 status is going to be totally irrelevant to the average consumer - especially someone who hasn't played it.

in particular i agree with this "exclusive games are more of a manufacturer exclusive".

alas, the metagame exists however i welcome these little glimmers of open discussion!

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 lostrib

@Wasdie said:
@lostrib said:

They are illogical and have absolutely no influence on a consumer's decision and should never be referenced in any discussion that isn't strictly talking about the pointless meta of System Wars.

The SW rules seem a bit more logical than B4X's position that any game with differences in performance is an exclusive...

In the land of SW it might not be exclusive, but it can still be discussed as a plus for the X1 or a must have game for the holiday season.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

Well...can't polish a turd.

Halo was and is nothing more than a mediocre bro shooter.

True you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter. I think most people agree that this is one sparkling turd that many people want to get there hands dirty with.