Atlus being sold off. Who is getting her?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Atlus_logo.png

Index Corporation is moving to sell off its various subsidiaries - which includes Japanese developer and publisher Atlus.

The news comes via Bloomberg,  which states that the company is facing stock market delisting on July 28, and will begin taking bids next week.

Total sales of assets, which again includes games publisher Altus, are expected to earn around $149 million. Atlus is responsible for publishing some rather big titles such as Persona 4, Demon's Souls, Catherine and the upcoming Dragon's Crown. It's currently unknown which companies would be interested in picking the publisher up, although some Japanese based publishers such as Capcom could very well be interested.

http://www.shopto.net/news/43486/Atlus-to-be-sold-off-by-Index-Corporation/

Likely Candidates:

• Tecmo Koei
  • Sega Sammy
  • Sony
  • Namco Bandai
  • Konami
  • Nintendo
  • Square Enix
  • Capcom
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
MS :twisted:
guard12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#3 guard12
Member since 2004 • 2018 Posts

Oh god, I hope Capcom doesn't get them.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I hope Nintendo or a 3rd party purchases them.

I hope Nintendo does because I don't want Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem to be cancelled if another 1st party purchases them.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

guard12
just think of the DLC they could make lol
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nintendo_Ownes7

MS :twisted:RR360DD
I don't want Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem cancelled; Atlus is co-developing it.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#7 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

[QUOTE="guard12"]

lawlessx

Well looking at Shin Megami Tensei IV I think they could fit right at home with Capcom.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
Nintendo please, or even Sony. Please not Capcom, especially not Square.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Best case scenario would be Sony, Nintendo or Namco. Keep CAPCOM and their shenanigans away, and we don't need Squeenix getting their shitty haircuts and underage melodrama in any Atlus series.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]MS :twisted:Nintendo_Ownes7

I don't want Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem cancelled; Atlus is co-developing it.

I'm with you.

Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is a game I am greatly looking forward to for the WiiU.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts
If Capcom gets them, I consider it Atlus instant death. If SE, it will be slow death.
SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SonicNextGen2
Member since 2010 • 3592 Posts

I hope Nintendo does because I don't want Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem to be cancelled if another 1st party purchases them.

Nintendo_Ownes7
OH YEAH, I forgot about that game. I guess that kind of rules out Sony and Microsoft. If anything, I see Namdai or Nintendo buying them. Not Capcom, they've been outsourcing their games to high hell. Squeenix probably would throw them in the trash can and focus on FF and Eidos. Konami doesn't care about anything buy MGS. And Tecmo would be a good idea, but they have shitty handling of their games.
Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

don't even say that, microsoft should never get their hands on japanese companies

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]MS :twisted:Sweenix

don't even say that, microsoft should never get their hands on japanese companies

they don't even care about japan anymore.
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

MS buying a niche Japanese developer? :lol:

I don't even think Sony will do it. Though if they were smart, they would. Most likely, if anyone aquires them it would be one of the main Japanese developers. 

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]MS :twisted:Sweenix

Don't even say that, microsoft should never get their hands on japanese companies

I doubt that a American company like MS could easily buy off Japanese companies like Atlus, anyway. 

IMO, it would have to be either Nintendo, Sony, or Namco Bandai.

guard12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 guard12

[QUOTE="lawlessx"][QUOTE="guard12"]

LegatoSkyheart

Well looking at Shin Megami Tensei IV I think they could fit right at home with Capcom.

In all honesty, Capcom or Namco would make the most sense to take them. I only hope if Capcom does get them that they won't make the next Persona game a DLC ridden mess. 

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="lawlessx"] just think of the DLC they could make lolguard12

In all honesty, Capcom or Namco would make the most sense to take them. I only hope if Capcom does get them that they won't make the next Persona game a DLC ridden mess. 

I'm almost certain that the Teams who made such wonderful games like Persona 4 and SMTIV are still on staff.

The only thing I'm hoping for this change of management is that no one gets fired, which is why we should root for Nintendo here. They don't lay people off for profit.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

Index Corporation is moving to sell off its various subsidiaries - which includes Japanese developer and publisher Atlus.

The news comes via Bloomberg,  which states that the company is facing stock market delisting on July 28, and will begin taking bids next week.

Total sales of assets, which again includes games publisher Altus, are expected to earn around $149 million. Atlus is responsible for publishing some rather big titles such as Persona 4, Demon's Souls, Catherine and the upcoming Dragon's Crown. It's currently unknown which companies would be interested in picking the publisher up, although some Japanese based publishers such as Capcom could very well be interested.

http://www.shopto.net/news/43486/Atlus-to-be-sold-off-by-Index-Corporation/

Likely Candidates:

• Tecmo Koei
  • Sony
  • Namco Bandai
  • Konami
  • Nintendo
  • Square Enix
  • Capcom
ShadowDeathX
i hope none of them get the rights...esp any of the 3 console manufacturers
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts

Please be Namco Bandai or Sony. Sony doesn't have a pure RPG studio Nintendo is more likely over Sony but Nintendo are **** when it comes to niche title localizations depending on their mood. Fatal Frame is now MIA in N.A. because Nintendo controls the franchise. We've missed out on the amazing Soma Bringer for the N.A. / EU and Us in N.A. had to beg for the Operation Rainfall titles in which Nintendo only did Xenoblade and limited it to hell and back. No Thanks.

As for anyone else? I'd perfer if Nippon Ichi bought them but I really doubt they could afford to.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

this is bad news.... Atlus was one of the last publishers willing to take chances on niche market games

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

I could see Nintendo buying them. They did buy Monolith Soft.

guard12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 guard12

[QUOTE="guard12"]

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

LegatoSkyheart

I'm almost certain that the Teams who made such wonderful games like Persona 4 and SMTIV are still on staff.

The only thing I'm hoping for this change of management is that no one gets fired, which is why we should root for Nintendo here. They don't lay people off for profit.

If a 1st party is to aquire them than I would want it to be Nintendo. Imagine the butthurt we will hear and see if Nintendo actually gets them. It would be glorious. And it would give the big N a big advantage in the JRPG territory. 

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
Pleeease let it be Square. Atlus with a Square budget would be godlike.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
OH GOD, hopefully someone responsible.
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FlamesOfGrey
Pleeease let it be Square. Atlus with a Square budget would be godlike. Capitan_Kid
Problem with that is SE is moving primarily towards mobile gaming.
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

If MS or Capcom buy them I'm gonna drink myself into oblivion for a week straight.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Persona 5 exclusive to Wii U? Yes please. Let the haters start the hating. :cool:

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jsmoke03

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="guard12"]

guard12

If a 1st party is to aquire them than I would want it to be Nintendo. Imagine the butthurt we will hear and see if Nintendo actually gets them. It would be glorious. And it would give the big N a big advantage in the JRPG territory. 

i really hate it if ninty would buy off the company. they never drop anything in price, it takes them forever to release anything other than mario games, and its probably going to be a handheld franchise if they buy it.
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Nintendo_Ownes7

[QUOTE="guard12"]

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

jsmoke03

i really hate it if ninty would buy off the company. they never drop anything in price, it takes them forever to release anything other than mario games, and its probably going to be a handheld franchise if they buy it.

Some of Nintendo's games drop in price really quickly.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts
[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

SonicNextGen2
OH YEAH, I forgot about that game. I guess that kind of rules out Sony and Microsoft. If anything, I see Namdai or Nintendo buying them. Not Capcom, they've been outsourcing their games to high hell. Squeenix probably would throw them in the trash can and focus on FF and Eidos. Konami doesn't care about anything buy MGS. And Tecmo would be a good idea, but they have shitty handling of their games.

That is not how it works. If Sony buys or Microsoft, there will be negotiations regarding this game and nintendo will probably just buy it entirely or cancel development if a deal cannot be made. One little game would not be a hinderance to selling a company like Atlus.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#34 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts

Hopefully not Nintendo OR Sony. Especially Nintendo because we'd have a worse reaction than what happened with Bayonetta 2. They need to be bought by a company that is neutral. #

Being sold to Sony means a cancellation of Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei, a crossover RPG that has interest in it's niche,

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]Pleeease let it be Square. Atlus with a Square budget would be godlike. FlamesOfGrey
Problem with that is SE is moving primarily towards mobile gaming.

I wouldn't say primarily but they do have an interest in porting everything onto mobile. They still make plenty of console/handheld games. They let Eidos make whatever they want so I don't see why they wouldn't let Atlus do their thing. Plus there could be a FF/SMT crossover one day if that happened!!! If not SE then Sony please.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Go for it Nintendo! :D
Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

Anyone but

Square
Capcom
MS
Bathesda
EA

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Bigboi500

Hopefully not Nintendo OR Sony. Especially Nintendo because we'd have a worse reaction than what happened with Bayonetta 2. They need to be bought by a company that is neutral. #

Being sold to Sony means a cancellation of Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei, a crossover RPG that has interest in it's niche,

nintendoboy16

You seriously wouldn't love seeing all these Sonyphiles' panties in a bunch if that happened? It would be so glorious!

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

If Sony could get their hands on Atlus!!! Amazeballs

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jsmoke03

[QUOTE="jsmoke03"][QUOTE="guard12"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

Some of Nintendo's games drop in price really quickly.

not rpgs. i waited for twilight princess to drop and it stayed at $50 before it disappeared. i had to spend a pretty penny to buy a used copy. i couldnt even find the console fire emblem and now its selling at a ridiculous amount on amazon/e-bay. i feel thats going to be the fate of atlus games. jrpgs are already a dying breed on consoles....why kill it further by exclusivity on one console? sure it will help ninty but the gaming industry would be better off if atlus stays independent of any of the first party companies
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

Bigboi500

You seriously wouldn't love seeing all these Sonyphiles' panties in a bunch if that happened? It would be so glorious!

Honestly, no. Because it would scream bad times are coming. Something I've learned from situations like the Bayonetta 2 fiasco.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 bbkkristian

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

Bigboi500

not saying anything due to me jinxing it... Last thing I want is Sony getting it because SMTxFE would be cancelled.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

Bigboi500

or alternatively Us Nintendo guys getting riled up for Sony buying Atlus so we could never see FExSMT ever?

Biggest Whine Fest since the Cancelation of Megaman Legends 3.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

LegatoSkyheart

or alternatively Us Nintendo guys getting riled up for Sony buying Atlus so we could never see FExSMT ever?

I think Sony is too focused on the West to put any effort into buying Atlus.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

:cry: Where's my Persona 5 yo?

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 bbkkristian

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

LegatoSkyheart

You can have it Namco Bandai. Everybody happy. Namco publishes many of their games, so we don't have to worry about localization.
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#47 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

[QUOTE="Sweenix"]

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]MS :twisted:lawlessx

they don't even care about japan anymore.

Microsoft would gut them and have them making Kinect Games.

I do think Square is going to scoop them up. Say what you will about the FF decline, but they've been pretty hands off with Eidos.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FlamesOfGrey

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

LegatoSkyheart

If there is already a contract in place which there most likely is and it happened before the sell, the game would still be made unless Sony opted to buy it out for a cancelation. I doubt Sony would waste money doing that.
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Nintendo_Ownes7

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

LegatoSkyheart

I wouldn't whine if SMTXFE gets cancelled but I will be really pissed about it.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]You seriously wouldn't love seeing all these Sonyphiles' panties in a bunch if that happened? It would be so glorious!

Bigboi500

I think Sony is too focused on the West to put any effort into buying Atlus.

Doubt it. Considering PlayStation systems get JRPG's up the ass, more so than even the DS/3DS.