Arma 2 not coming to consoles.

• 168 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts

confirmed on the developers twitter page.

"Our focus is on the PC version and currently have no plans for the 360 (there has been plently of speculation)"

http://twitter.com/ArmA2PC

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
It wouldn't be possible without massive downgrading anyway. Plus console gaming is no market for such games.
cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 cobrax75

It wouldn't be possible without massive downgrading anyway. Plus console gaming is no market for such games.Salt_The_Fries

yeah, I always found it incredibly strange that people though a game like this could work on consoles.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
I would not want to play Arma...with a controller....
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
ArmA 2 is looking damn amazing, from the EuroGamer prieview, Rock Paper Shotgun preview and current crop of information. As long as it has higher production values, less bugs and a better singleplayer campaign than ArmA1, then we could truly have a proper sequel to Flashpoint on our hands. And I'd love that. From the looks of things ArmA2 looks to be twice the game ArmA was in terms of raw mission design, visual fidelity and production values..... And the idea of an open world, dynamic singlelplayer is impressive - I cant wait. Being a fan of Bohemias work, it'll be a day 1 buy for me, and even if the game is rather broken, like ArmA, the community will most probably come to its aid. And if the singleplayer turns out to be mediocre, then there is still the huge multiplayer portion. And its no secret ArmA1 with ACEmod online is fantastic.
cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cobrax75

ArmA 2 is looking damn amazing, from the EuroGamer prieview, Rock Paper Shotgun preview and current crop of information. As long as it has higher production values, less bugs and a better singleplayer campaign than ArmA1, then we could truly have a proper sequel to Flashpoint on our hands. And I'd love that. From the looks of things ArmA2 looks to be twice the game ArmA was in terms of raw mission design, visual fidelity and production values..... And the idea of an open world, dynamic singlelplayer is impressive - I cant wait. Being a fan of Bohemias work, it'll be a day 1 buy for me, and even if the game is rather broken, like ArmA, the community will most probably come to its aid. And if the singleplayer turns out to be mediocre, then there is still the huge multiplayer portion. And its no secret ArmA1 with ACEmod online is fantastic.skrat_01

just as a note, I think the Eurogamer preivew and Rock Paper Shotgun preview were done by the same person...

anyway, this is a a day 1 buy for me as well, I am a huge fan of these types of games.

I always felt to that this was a modular game, the built in content was bassiclly just a templete for the best feature of the game...the user generated content.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#7 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
Makes sense that they would focus on PC development. That is where their audience is anyways.
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
Anyone else think this game looks more "photorealisitc" compared to Crysis?
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
cool ..looks like the game close to being gold, thanks for the link (although I do don't understand the fascination with twitter)
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

[QUOTE="Salt_The_Fries"]It wouldn't be possible without massive downgrading anyway. Plus console gaming is no market for such games.cobrax75

yeah, I always found it incredibly strange that people though a game like this could work on consoles.

What's so different between this and Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising?
cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cobrax75

[QUOTE="cobrax75"]

[QUOTE="Salt_The_Fries"]It wouldn't be possible without massive downgrading anyway. Plus console gaming is no market for such games.MyopicCanadian

This is made by the developers of the original operation flashpoint, and is a much, much deeper game.

mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mr_mozilla
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts
It's one of the most impressive looking games I've seen and the maps will apparently be quite large, not to mention the first one was a pain to play even on kb/m. So yeah, not shocked really, it would prolly take a lot of work to actually make it good on a console and the audience just isn't there. There's still OF2 for the console audience tho, not sure how compromised the gameplay in that will end up being but if it does well maybe it will encourage Arma2 port as well.
Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts

[QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"][QUOTE="cobrax75"]

cobrax75

This is made by the developers of the original operation flashpoint, and is a much, much deeper game.

Except... you do not know this.

They are probably going to be quite similar.

shutdown_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 shutdown_202
Member since 2005 • 5649 Posts

ArmA? consoles? :lol:

Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts
[QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"][QUOTE="cobrax75"]

It wouldn't be possible without massive downgrading anyway. Plus console gaming is no market for such games.Salt_The_Fries

It can be resumed (quickly) by saying keyboard>controller. But tbh, I don't know much about either games, so it's hard to tell for now. MP matches will probably be more intense with arma2 since pc games support more players and, with the right coding, they could do a Novalogic of themself and make the mp support 128+players on the same servers ^^
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

ArmA 2 doesn't have a market on consoles.

stvee101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 stvee101
Member since 2006 • 2953 Posts

shutdown_202

Thats what I thought lol.

Theres no way a game like this could work on consoles.It would have to be horribly downgraded and simplified.

I'm glad its PC exclusive.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
Well Operation Flashpoint 2 seems to have stream-lined, simplified interface in design, and I guess ArmA 2 is as deep as military game can get, and build specifically around interface of keyboard and mouse and it would require a massive rework in order to work on any console, and it wouldn't be quite the same game in my opinion. Anyone who played original Operation Flashpoint and saw how much communication options (and other options) are there, would understand. Not to mention, it requires meticulous aiming, something which couldn't be done reasonably on controller.
cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cobrax75

[QUOTE="cobrax75"]

[QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"] What's so different between this and Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising?Leejjohno

except I do...because a codemasters have already said this. b. The game is removing a lot of features OPF was known for (pilotable planes, free look, third person) c. Its a multiplatorm game.

in fact, one of the things I find funny is how their not even showing the game yet...where as Arma 2 was shown from the moment it was announced.

Its also pretty funny how all the "inovative features" in OPF2 were all either in OPF1 or in Arma.

Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Leejjohno

[QUOTE="Leejjohno"]

[QUOTE="cobrax75"]

cobrax75

except I do...because a codemasters have already said this. b. The game is removing a lot of features OPF was known for (pilotable planes, free look, third person) c. Its a multiplatorm game.

in fact, one of the things I find funny is how their not even showing the game yet...where as Arma 2 was shown from the moment it was announced.

Its also pretty funny how all the "inovative features" in OPF2 were all either in OPF1 or in Arma.

And that is a bad thing because?

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cobrax75

[QUOTE="cobrax75"]

[QUOTE="Leejjohno"]

Leejjohno

because its just all part of their BS marketing campaign...designed to get people to try the game thinking there is nothing else like it.

Just watch all their promotional videos...everything they talk about is featured in Arma 2...just on a larger scale.

not to mention their ultra BS CGI gameplay videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS5aRfTDjkc

but the most BS thing of all is calling OPF2 the "official" sequal to OPF1...despite that all that they share in common is the name.

Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Leejjohno

[QUOTE="Leejjohno"]

[QUOTE="cobrax75"]

cobrax75

because its just all part of their BS marketing campaign...designed to get people to try the game thinking there is nothing else like it.

Just watch all their promotional videos...everything they talk about is featured in Arma 2...just on a larger scale.

not to mention their ultra BS CGI gameplay videos: *link*

but the most BS thing of all is calling OPF2 the "official" sequal to OPF1...despite that all that they share in common is the name.

Why do all these legalities and technicalities affect us though? It's a very niche genre, and in the end there will be 2 games to choose from. Codemasters is just better at selling it as all.

Surprisingly little has actually been confirmed for OFP2 and nobody can truly call it until it's all above board.

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cobrax75

[QUOTE="cobrax75"]

[QUOTE="Leejjohno"]

Leejjohno

not to mention their ultra BS CGI gameplay videos: *link*

Why do all these legalities and technicalities affect us though? It's a very niche genre, and in the end there will be 2 games to choose from. Codemasters is just better at selling it as all.

Surprisingly little has actually been confirmed for OFP2 and nobody can truly call it until it's all above board.

their not though....ultimatly there just riding on the name because they know thats all they have.....and the game will probably do well on consoles were most are unfamiliar with the series...but on the PC, pretty much everyone who is a fan is aware that Arma 2 is the true sequal.

But ultimatly, OPF2 simply has nothing going for it that Arma 2 doesnt have.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]ArmA 2 is looking damn amazing, from the EuroGamer prieview, Rock Paper Shotgun preview and current crop of information. As long as it has higher production values, less bugs and a better singleplayer campaign than ArmA1, then we could truly have a proper sequel to Flashpoint on our hands. And I'd love that. From the looks of things ArmA2 looks to be twice the game ArmA was in terms of raw mission design, visual fidelity and production values..... And the idea of an open world, dynamic singlelplayer is impressive - I cant wait. Being a fan of Bohemias work, it'll be a day 1 buy for me, and even if the game is rather broken, like ArmA, the community will most probably come to its aid. And if the singleplayer turns out to be mediocre, then there is still the huge multiplayer portion. And its no secret ArmA1 with ACEmod online is fantastic.cobrax75

just as a note, I think the Eurogamer preivew and Rock Paper Shotgun preview were done by the same person...

anyway, this is a a day 1 buy for me as well, I am a huge fan of these types of games.

I always felt to that this was a modular game, the built in content was bassiclly just a templete for the best feature of the game...the user generated content.

Oh yeah I do know that, though there is the 'group discussion' article on RPS too.
clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
I wouldn't look twice at it on consoles. PC is definately better for this game.
Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#26 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
i don't think the console users are the kind of players who would like that game anyways.
lineargames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lineargames
Member since 2009 • 251 Posts

[QUOTE="shutdown_202"]

stvee101

Theres no way a game like this could work on consoles.It would have to be horribly downgraded and simplified.

lol there's no jump it's already simplified.
cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cobrax75

[QUOTE="stvee101"]

[QUOTE="shutdown_202"]

lineargames

I dont see why you ever jump in a game like this anyway...and given that its not exacly realistic to be able to jump with 80 pounds of gear, It simply doesnt make any sence to put it in.

now that I think about it...did OPF even let you jump?

pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 pyromaniac223
Member since 2008 • 5896 Posts
[QUOTE="stvee101"]

[QUOTE="shutdown_202"]

lineargames

Not again... ArmA 2 is going to be the most realistic milsim ever created for retail. The fact that you cant jump and shoot, or push trashcans around, or look at insects, or whatever pittance you want to bring up, does not change this. It is THE MOST realistic. Not Doom 3. Not Quake. ArmA2.
lineargames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lineargames
the fact you cant jump makes it unrealistic. I shoot guns in real life, no jump ultra fake quake or doom has different jumping than real life jumping, a game with real life type jumping is call of duty kinda.
lineargames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lineargames
call of duty 2 would be the most realistic if by default it had a sprint button, but there's sprint mods, but one thing that sucks you cant time hand grenades like real ones, they fixed that in call of duty 4 tho you can cook them now. but stupid ass Xp xtra points logo takes away from immersion of you shooting someone lol.
cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cobrax75

call of duty 2 would be the most realistic if by default it had a sprint button, but there's sprint mods, but one thing that sucks you cant time hand grenades like real ones, they fixed that in call of duty 4 tho you can cook them now. but stupid ass Xp xtra points logo takes away from immersion of you shooting someone lol.lineargames

are you seriously suggesting that COD is as realistic as Arma?

lineargames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lineargames

[QUOTE="lineargames"]call of duty 2 would be the most realistic if by default it had a sprint button, but there's sprint mods, but one thing that sucks you cant time hand grenades like real ones, they fixed that in call of duty 4 tho you can cook them now. but stupid ass Xp xtra points logo takes away from immersion of you shooting someone lol.cobrax75

Way more realistic By far, arma is ripping off call of duty by having iron sight.
pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 pyromaniac223
[QUOTE="cobrax75"]

[QUOTE="lineargames"]call of duty 2 would be the most realistic if by default it had a sprint button, but there's sprint mods, but one thing that sucks you cant time hand grenades like real ones, they fixed that in call of duty 4 tho you can cook them now. but stupid ass Xp xtra points logo takes away from immersion of you shooting someone lol.lineargames

Way more realistic By far, arma is ripping off call of duty by having iron sight.

Ugh. Iron sights were done way before CoD. You can't jump in ArmA because you DONT JUMP IN A WARZONE. JUMPING AROUND LIKE YOU ARE IN A VIDEOGAME GETS YOU KILLED. CoD has no recoil, and you can take three or four bullets and just walk it off. Not something you can do in ArmA. ArmA is the king of realism for combat simulators.
clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 clembo1990
[QUOTE="cobrax75"]

[QUOTE="lineargames"]call of duty 2 would be the most realistic if by default it had a sprint button, but there's sprint mods, but one thing that sucks you cant time hand grenades like real ones, they fixed that in call of duty 4 tho you can cook them now. but stupid ass Xp xtra points logo takes away from immersion of you shooting someone lol.lineargames

You need to look up the definition of realistic.
lineargames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lineargames
nope call of duty 2003 was first game to properly render a iron sight similar how it is on a real gun. people dont seem to understand jumping helps you get around the level better, jumping in gunfights is stupid and doesnt help anyway so i dont see how people complain it would be just like real life jumping in firefight makes no sense, but it helps you get around the level. arma2 sucks call of duty is way more realistic, you can jump plus you can climb like ur putting ur knee over a wall and leaping over it.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#37 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Meh, not very stoked on this game anyways, looking forward to Operation Flashpoint2 on PC alot more.

lineargames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lineargames
nope you need to shoot some guns before posting
pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 pyromaniac223
nope you need to shoot some guns before posting lineargames
You need to actually go to a warzone if you think that jumping is a viable method for "getting around the level" with a huge pack of equipment on your back and bullets whizzing by your face.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 kozzy1234

nope call of duty 2003 was first game to properly render a iron sight similar how it is on a real gun. people dont seem to understand jumping helps you get around the level better, jumping in gunfights is stupid and doesnt help anyway so i dont see how people complain it would be just like real life jumping in firefight makes no sense, but it helps you get around the level. arma2 sucks call of duty is way more realistic, you can jump plus you can climb like ur putting ur knee over a wall and leaping over it.lineargames

Call Of Duty is the least realistic shooter this gen imo. Rainbow6 and Operation Flashpoint games on pc are far more realistic.

CODE4 is more arcadey with its grenades that get tossed 500 yards over buildings and all the jumping around people do. IMO its way more arcadey then it is realistic.

lineargames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lineargames
call of duty is more realistic you can climb though kinda like how you can in real life, i mean you can climb taller stuff in real life, but atleast call of duty let's you jump and climb similar to real life. it's overall way more realistic than any fps out there.
cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 cobrax75

[QUOTE="cobrax75"]

you are aware that OPF came out before COD?

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kozzy1234

call of duty is more realistic you can climb though kinda like how you can in real life, i mean you can climb taller stuff in real life, but atleast call of duty let's you jump and climb similar to real life. it's overall way more realistic than any fps out there.lineargames

You are the crysis hater, so this is all makign sense now.

COD might be a graet game to some, but its far far from realistic.

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 cobrax75

Meh, not very stoked on this game anyways, looking forward to Operation Flashpoint2 on PC alot more.

kozzy1234

well your pretty much alone on that....pretty much the entire OPF community considers OPF2 to be a joke.

pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 pyromaniac223

Why do you make hundreds of alt accounts just to mindlessly spew out the same false points that utterly defy reality?

lineargames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lineargames

[QUOTE="lineargames"][QUOTE="cobrax75"]

cobrax75

operation flashpoint was always fake/unrealistic and a crap game at that. call of duty was the first true realistic game i played and it was in 2003 when i played single player demo to the first demo in the demo they had the m1 carbine same gun i own in real life and the iron sight was just like shooting the real thing dude.
lineargames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lineargames
none of you shot guns in real life, i suggest you stop typing
pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 pyromaniac223
[QUOTE="cobrax75"]

[QUOTE="lineargames"] Way more realistic By far, arma is ripping off call of duty by having iron sight.lineargames

operation flashpoint was always fake/unrealistic and a crap game at that. call of duty was the first true realistic game i played and it was in 2003 when i played single player demo to the first demo in the demo they had the m1 carbine same gun i own in real life and the iron sight was just like shooting the real thing dude.

So when you shoot a WWII era gun, it goes exactly where you point it with 100 percent accuracy with absolutely no recoil?
clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 clembo1990
[QUOTE="cobrax75"]

[QUOTE="lineargames"] Way more realistic By far, arma is ripping off call of duty by having iron sight.lineargames

You own a historical gun. Wow. As if we needed any more of a reason to not agree with you.
lineargames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lineargames
lol none of the bullets hit directly where you point the crosshair that's what made it realistic.