Are you interested in VR?

• 60 results
OmegaBlueUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Are you interested in VR? (57 votes)

Very interested, already have a VR system 33%
I'm interested, plan to get VR in near future 9%
Not really interested, tech needs to advance more 9%
Not at all interested, sticking to flat screen gaming 44%
Have no feeling one way or the other, see results 5%

With the overwhelmingly positive reviews of the recently released PSVR2, I wanted to know people's interest in VR in general. Are you hyped for what is to come, or is there nothing that would convince you to get into VR?

• 
hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Literally a VR hater, so hell no. Buying something that has no games, and nothing of big budget will ever be made for it, is a bit funny to me. You own a $550 VR headset to play indie games made in someone's basement🤢That's ain't gaming for me.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Not interested in it at all. Will stick to flat screen gaming myself.

OmegaBlueUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 OmegaBlueUp
Member since 2006 • 500 Posts

@hardwenzen: while I see your point that companies won't sink in a lot of money on such a limited market, what about VR ports of AAA titles? It sounds like the VR versions of RE8 and GT7 are great.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hardwenzen

@OmegaBlueUp said:

@hardwenzen: while I see your point that companies won't sink in a lot of money on such a limited market, what about VR ports of AAA titles? It sounds like the VR versions of RE8 and GT7 are great.

That will be your best titles for the headset. But i can't stand RE8, so that's not much of a plus to me. GT7 is a racing game, so unless you're into racing titles, nobody will spend more than a couple of hours in GT7. It simply does not have enough to spend $550 on, and knowing that the manufacturer of the headset won't ever invest time and resources to take full advantage of their own headset, doesn't make me want to ever own it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

I love VR, it's one of the things keeping me still interested in gaming. Exciting to see how it evolves.

Also supercool playing games I grew up with being converted to VR. In the case of Halflife 2 it was revelatory like booting it up for the first time again and playing it how it was meant to be played.

That being said, things I don't like.

1. Facebook and Sony trying to segment as already bare-bones library. Aside from (me) being locked out of content, it also is off-putting for buyers making the platform a mess of fiefdoms

2. Facebook, as a company potentially being the dominant leader. Goes without saying they are a terrible company.

3. Too much gimmick software or limited experiences

Stuff does need to improve upon to get more people into it is price, size and wireless. It's already made quite abit of progress in that regard.

But yea,VR simp.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

Of course. Why wouldn't I be? It's evolving video games to a whole new perspective. The possibilities are insane. VR is the wild west right now, and that's exciting. I'll never give up flatscreen gaming, of course. But VR is just on a different level in terms of immersion.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69466 Posts

I was but there is a lack of VR games. I am not talking about games that support VR or tech demos, I am talking games that were designed with VR in mind from start to finish (Alyx) and not just ported for a quick buck. Beyond the mediocrity in the game selection, it still feels too betaish in its current state.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

The PSVR2 has made me a believer. It’s a totally different experience. Even RE Village felt fresh playing in VR.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

yep but see it as something that will only come to fruition through small step incremental change over a long period of time. it's a tech that has incredible potential but also a lot of hard problems to solve

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15997 Posts

Nope. It's too expensive and there aren't many games that interest me.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

Nope

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Mildly interested even though I've never played a VR game. The only one I'd care to play is Half-Life: Alyx but it would require a lot more AAA titles to get me to invest in a headset.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

I'm interested. It all looks awesome, but it may just not be in the cards. I get motion sickness easily, like even from playing games on a big screen TV. I need to be a good distance away, and the TV needs to be a reasonable size.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#15  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

I have the Oculus Rift and Quest 2. I retired the Rift and rarely use the Q2. I like VR, but there are not many quality games and it is still limited. I like the room scale experiences where you can walk around, but you are limited by your play area. Traversal in games is still a major issue. Most people can not handle movement in VR well and get motion/VR sickness. Then you are left with teleporting mechanics that are not immersive and inefficient. The visual fidelity, resolution, and FOV are still issues as well. So, yeah, VR is cool, but I still enjoy traditional gaming more on a nice OLED screen.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

its great, but like bass man, I have a quest 2 and think its great for some things, but not everything. I love the idea of it, but theres a lot of issues to solve before it makes more sense.

Alot of fps like cod and halo don't really translate well in a VR system. VR is meant for more immersiveness with the same experience as you would have in the real world. The problem with that is, traversal and movement can be tiring, and that extra stuff you do is inefficient. You will get rekkd against someone that isn't using a clown vr headset. VR has great use cases in certain applications though like racing games, and in exercise/workouts (imagine hiking a trail in VR on a treadmill), also in some single player games.

We're in an obesity epidemic, do you think the fatasses you see walking around would be happy using a VR headset?? They would be tired out in less than 5 minutes, this should give you the answer.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Interested and participating.

Got an Oculus, loved it so much I went for the best and got a Valve Index. Love that too.

Games are great, and it's the path to the next iteration of video games imo. While not as significant as the jump from 2D to 3D gaming, it's imo still a massive and much needed jump.

Improvements to gaming technology and visuals have been small and generally with diminishing returns, with the demand for hardware constantly increasing in exponential rates (at least it feels that way). VR is taking us to that next tier and even though things don't look as good as they do on a flat screen, the immersion and gameplay components are simply incredible.

More importantly, it's the potential it represents that I value most. VR headsets today, holodecks in ten years? Black Mirror "Striking Vipers" in 20 years? One can only hope!

@hardwenzen said:

Literally a VR hater, so hell no. Buying something that has no games, and nothing of big budget will ever be made for it, is a bit funny to me. You own a $550 VR headset to play indie games made in someone's basement🤢That's ain't gaming for me.

I get being indifferent, but why a "hater"? You must think it is actually harming the industry in that case?

I know you're a bit of a production value and graphics whore, so that makes some degree of sense, but hate? Why?

It's almost like you don't care about gameplay.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

No it's a stupid gimmick.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hardwenzen

@mrbojangles25 said:

@hardwenzen said:

I get being indifferent, but why a "hater"? You must think it is actually harming the industry in that case?

I know you're a bit of a production value and graphics whore, so that makes some degree of sense, but hate? Why?

The reason is very simple, and we saw this in the latest state of play. Instead of showing me games for my system, the ps5, they waste time showing me ps3 looking indies for VR. Not to mention how these VR games are filling the yearly library, which makes it look like ps5's library for that year was better than it really was. I hate this damn trash headset. Go away with this crap, Sony.

ZELDABOTW2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ZELDABOTW2
Member since 2021 • 664 Posts

Heck yes loving psvr2v I have played the following games. This is just the order I have played things so far not like a order of how I rank the games

1. Call of the mountain. Played for about 50 minutes looks really good I would say not has good has forbidden west but maybe part of that is the fact with flat games I am not just a few inches away from what I am looking at lol. Seeing the big machines is really cool. Parts of it really do feel like a jurassic park ride at universal studios or something. Had a like 5 minute moment the other day that like makes vr worth it all on its own.

2. Kayka vr just wow it looks amazing. Going to the Alaska place at night and seeing the northern lights really did look and feel like I was there almost wanted to cry it looked so beautiful and real. I only played about 22 minutes or so was starting to feel a little sick. I guess because you feel like you are moving but you are not so it throws your mind off or something not sure but sure I can build up to it.

3. Synth riders a lot of fun spent like a hour and 45 minutes playing it only thing is like half the songs I don't care for lol. I started to improve and was able to do pretty well on normal but when I tried hard I got like destroyed lol. One disappointment is that when it was announced for psvr2 they made it sound like you could buy the Lindsey striling music pack for free for the first month but its not you get one of her songs for me basically false advertisement. Bought a few songs like linsdery strily and checked out all the stages now a few stand out more than others.

4. NFL pro demo very short demo you basically take snaps and pass the ball it is cool that you do get that feeling of the pass rush coming for you.

5. Star Wars Gaxley edge- Got past basically the intro after like 50 minutes or so pretty fun and looking out at space and planets just wow! Pretty cool being in a ship.

6. Jurassic world after math- I only played for about 10 minutes but intro was pretty cool and looks nice even though its more comic book like than realistic looking.

7. Moss just played today for about 2 hours the game is amazing. Looks really nice, good soundtrack and cool creative puzzles that make you think a little bit.

I still got Runner to play, moss 2 after I beat moss 1, Awesome astroids, and will likely buy song of the smoke so lots to play.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SolidGame_basic

@zeldabotw2: get RE Village. Absolutely incredible.

ZELDABOTW2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ZELDABOTW2

@SolidGame_basic said:

@zeldabotw2: get RE Village. Absolutely incredible.

I dont do scary stuff dont watch scary movies get scared to easily lol

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SolidGame_basic

@zeldabotw2: play it on easy lol

ZELDABOTW2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ZELDABOTW2

@SolidGame_basic said:

@zeldabotw2: play it on easy lol

lol

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@hardwenzen said:

The reason is very simple, and we saw this in the latest state of play. Instead of showing me games for my system, the ps5, they waste time showing me ps3 looking indies for VR. Not to mention how these VR games are filling the yearly library, which makes it look like ps5's library for that year was better than it really was. I hate this damn trash headset. Go away with this crap, Sony.

OK that makes sense.

What is about VR specifically you don't like? Do you get sick? Is it strapping the headset on?

The games are pretty damn fun, and things like Alyx and the Horizon game look great, too.

I'll admit many of the games look pretty low-budget or dated, though.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hardwenzen
@mrbojangles25 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@hardwenzen said:

OK that makes sense.

What is about VR specifically you don't like? Do you get sick? Is it strapping the headset on?

The games are pretty damn fun, and things like Alyx and the Horizon game look great, too.

I'll admit many of the games look pretty low-budget or dated, though.

The games themselves. Everything (excluding Alyx, which is the ONLY game) made for VR feels AND looks like some cheap ass indie games made in someone's basement. I want high budget, quality presentation titles made for VR, to take advantage of the actual headset, and this needs to go much further than just shooting a gun in VR or reloading a weapon with your hands gesture. For example, because you see your hands, and can interract with objects in the game by using your hands, i want to see the best possible physics you can have in a game. Physics alone will make a big difference for a VR exclusive title. And while Alyx did a good enough job, the large majority of other titles don't even pay attention to physics, let alone them being good.

Another thing i want, and that is something we might only see in about 10y from now, is for the headset to be 1- wireless 2- to be as small and light as my pair of shades. You know damn well its gonna be possible, but we gotta wait, and i am not willing to wear a damn fridge on my head aka the psvr2 and all the other headsets.

When vr headsets become as light and small as my pair of oakleys, and all/most of the standard titles are vr supported AND looks as good, that's is when i will care about VR. As is, its like beta testing for $550. Hell, its not even beta testing, its alpha testing cuz we're so damn far from what vr is gonna be like.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hardwenzen

@theam0g said:
@hardwenzen said:

Half-Life: Alyx is the only excepting and that's only because Valve needed a AAA title to sell their headset.

Of course.

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Half-Life: Alyx is the only exception and that's only because Valve needed a AAA title to sell their headset. 3+ years of development and 10's of millions of dollars later will get you a completely immersive experience such as Alyx.

6 months of dev time and a few million will get you shovelware. And that's all there is currently in the VR space.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pedro  Online

Interesting article on CNET

For now, the PSVR 2 is also skipping entire genres found on the Quest 2. The PSVR 2 is all games, as you'd expect. There should be a few fitness apps (Les Mills Body Combat is already available) but no social world apps. That might be comforting for parents with younger kids, but it leaves out extra uses you could get from the still-evolving Quest 2.

Additionally, most of the PSVR 2 launch games are ports of games on the Quest 2. Only a few are unique standouts that the Quest 2 natively lacks: notably Horizon Call of the Mountain, Gran Turismo 7, Resident Evil Village and No Man's Sky, with more coming.

OmegaBlueUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 OmegaBlueUp

@Pedro: maybe I'm not thinking clearly but what launch (system or accessory, and excluding BC) has released with a better launch lineup? Expecting something to launch with every genre (and subgenre) is a tall order.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Na, I like the tech, but I‘m not sure the games are worth the asking price. I can spend £389 on a PS5 Digital and get tons of full games. But to get into VR, it’s £530 to be able to play games which are more like short demos in comparison to the full AAA games I’d get on the console.

It’s quite a lot of money for an “experience”. It’s a better experience than Wii waggle or Kinect… But same type of thing. At least they were inexpensive compared.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

Yes. Sadly i dont have the space for it now :(. But i loved playing games on my Index when i did have the space.

OmegaBlueUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 OmegaBlueUp

@HalcyonScarlet: Wii waggle and the Kinect may have been cheaper, but they either supported less games or hindered many game's experience. Especially the Kinect, that thing was half the price of the original PSVR bundle ($250 and $500 respectively), and supported 130+ games (including limited support such as only adding voice commands) verses original PSVR's 650+ games. So I think VR is making much better progress than those gimmicks.

In my experience, VR has almost always enhanced the game's experience, the only exception I found was 100ft Golfing Robots. That game seemed to put the camera at worse positions in VR that made it even harder to play.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I bought the first Vive headset with full room tracking years back. It’s very impressive technology in many ways, even when I was using the earliest incarnation (screen door resolution); I’d be curious to see how it’s evolved to the present.

Unfortunately (and I should have known this prior to purchasing it), I’m incredibly sensitive to motion sickness, and suffered severe simulation sickness even when using it for brief periods. I could not overcome it so had to sell it. Too bad, as I’d love to use it for flight simming, but anything past five minutes makes me violently ill.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Not at all,winning this official poll.

The people have spoken VR is DOA

OmegaBlueUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 OmegaBlueUp

@simple-facts: huh, would not have thought that a 42% (at this time) positive interest equates to being DOA. That would be like saying the Xbox Series was DOA because there was more public interest in the PS5.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

@OmegaBlueUp:

Chin up kid,there will be another poll along shortly,until then....

..."computer says no"

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 pyro1245  Online
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

My interest in VR is inversely proportional to my upper back pain.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TheEroica  Moderator  Online
Member since 2009 • 22675 Posts

Cannot get past the idea of wearing a helmet to play games. I've tried it, it's fun in short stints, but It doesn't feel like something I'd want to take part in frequently or over long stretches of time. For the asking price it's a very easy no.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Very excited about VR. Have a Oculus 2. And that thing is pretty dang fun. I'm more excited to try Sony's product, as the Oculus is tied to Facebook which is off-putting.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BassMan

@TheEroica: Sounds like you were describing the Steam Deck. LOL

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12951 Posts

Not a fan of gimmicks, so I am a no.

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#44 Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 705 Posts

VR would be nice. Too bad a good VR head set costs 1000 dollars and more than any video game console in existence.

Playing Half-Life on Oculus is worse than playing the worst FPS on the Nintendo Wii you can imagine.

I love VR Chat though

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By hardwenzen

Come to think of it, they should make the next FF7R a VR compatible game. The amount of people that will get a vr to look at Tifa's ass will be incredible. For example, ghost will grab a VR headset the day this is announced. You know it, i know it, we all know this being the case.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TheEroica  Moderator  Online

@BassMan: that makes zero sense... But ok? 😂

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pedro  Online

@OmegaBlueUp said:

@Pedro: maybe I'm not thinking clearly but what launch (system or accessory, and excluding BC) has released with a better launch lineup? Expecting something to launch with every genre (and subgenre) is a tall order.

It is weird that you want to exclude BC when a many games on the PCVR2 are older games being ported but at a cost. Imagine if this device actually had BC instead of abandoning all of the games from its predecessor.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 506 Posts

I had a blast playing skyrim, fallout 4, and no man's sky in VR. There's nothing quite like it, however, it's just not supported with enough content like that. Maybe in another 6 years if the new elder scrolls supports it or something like that, I'll bite, but until then I'm going to wait and see if it fizzles out or blows up before I go all in.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BassMan
@TheEroica said:

@BassMan: that makes zero sense... But ok? 😂

@TheEroica said:

Cannot get past the idea of wearing a helmet holding a handheld to play games. I've tried it, it's fun in short stints, but It doesn't feel like something I'd want to take part in frequently or over long stretches of time. For the asking price it's a very easy no.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TheEroica  Moderator  Online

@BassMan: oh got it, so when you change it, it makes sense.

Steam Deck is dope by the way. Like owning a big pc rig.... Only better.