Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Are you a manticore? (76 votes)

I game on all platforms (Sony, Nintendo, PC, and Xbox (or Xbox games on PC) 38%
I game on most platforms 32%
I game on a couple platforms 21%
I game on just one system!!! 9%

I game on all platforms, contrary to what certain people may think lol. I like having options. So in that sense, I'm a manticore. I think it would be tough to stick to just one system. You'd be missing out on some great games. Although I don't have an Xbox, I do play Xbox games on PC, so I think that counts.

How about you, SW? Are you a manticore?

• 
VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#101 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@bluestars: 100% honest question, are you on drugs most of the time you post here?

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#102  Edited By Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

@vfighter:

when you see me make threads about hdmi cables,batteries and how console boxes are stacked on a pallet then be sure the crack pipe has been out

until then i’m the soberest poster on SW

hah

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#103 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70486 Posts

@xantufrog said:

@Pedro: i mean, it's an honest question because I though MS promised they would all come to PC (moving forward)

Nothing I have stated contradicts MS placing all their games on PC. The key part is MS.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#104 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@vfighter: @bluestars:

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@bluestars said:

@vfighter:

when you see me make threads about hdmi cables,batteries and how console boxes are stacked on a pallet then be sure the crack pioe has been out

until then i’m the soberest poster on SW

hah

LOL right, cows acting like they don't make some of the most mindless drug inducing threads here.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22416 Posts

At the moment I only have a Switch (which could be my favourite console of all time), but plan to get an XsX sometime next year.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By VFighter

@Pedro: Older games perhaps, but like xantufrog mentioned MS said all their games were coming to PC (If not they worded it fantastically to sound like that).

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 kingtito

Are we really going to say playing Xbox games on the PC is the same as playing them on an actual Xbox?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Pedro

@vfighter said:

@Pedro: Older games perhaps, but like xantufrog mentioned MS said all their games were coming to PC (If not they worded it fantastically to sound like that).

I have stated before, there isn't an argument being made by me stating MS is not releasing their games on PC now and the future. MS is taking that stance. This is not equal to all developers.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 VFighter

@kingtito: ? Are you trying to say it's worse playing them on a PC, or what's your position with that statement?

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

PC/Playstation has been my winning combo. Playstation for exclusives and games with friends, PC for everything else.

Nintendo and Xbox haven't been on my radar for a while now, as they haven't released a game that I had to have. If Microsoft does release a game I want in the next 2-3 years with studio acquisitions, I'll just get it on PC and play it however I want, with whatever mods I want.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 kingtito

@vfighter said:

@kingtito: ? Are you trying to say it's worse playing them on a PC, or what's your position with that statement?

What I'm saying is in the context of this thread, playing Xbox games on the PC is not the same as playing them on the actual console. So you can't claim to be a manitcore because you play Xbox games on the PC even if you're using an Xbox controller IMO. What I said has nothing to do with performance on any system.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56441 Posts

@kingtito said:

Are we really going to say playing Xbox games on the PC is the same as playing them on an actual Xbox?

If we're gonna go there, I'll say this. You need an XBL account to play MS games, we have Game Pass and some of us use an Xbox controller and all of this on PC, yes it's really just playing MS games as if we are doing it on Xbox One & Series X/S. The only slight difference is 30fps & 60fps. To sum it up, PC+MS games on it alone with PS4/5 & Nintendo Switch really makes it a manticore.

Sure, you can also go with PS Now on the PC but that's a streaming service. In other words, that's debatable.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#114 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49596 Posts

@davillain- said:
@Pedro said:

@xantufrog: Then, change the definition.😎

To be fair Pedro, that was @Stevo_the_gamer who made that statement a long time ago. You'll have to ask him about that. I'll have no part of changing anything around here.

Edit: But I will say this. MS is moving more towards software then they are for pushing hardware. Anyone who has a PC but also can play MS games on PC with W10/Game Pass should be consider a manticore in a way, even when we PC gamers have PS4/5 & Switch but not an Xbox console, we are still able to play MS games. And I also use my Xbox Elite controller in a sense for anything 3rd-person gaming.

Y'all trying to make it sound like I personally defined the mantra for System Wars. These things were carved before I came into the picture in the 2000s. Anyone can make the argument to evolve definitions or SW pillars, we just need a majority to move forward with it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 DaVillain  Moderator

@Stevo_the_gamer: I mean, you did published it😁

All jest aside. The way I see it, you need XBL to play MS on PC & we have GP as well. I'm going with PC as part of Xbox ecosystem without the hardware in itself and therefore that makes anyone a Manticore with PS4/5 & Nintendo Switch.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Pedro

@davillain- said:

@Stevo_the_gamer: I mean, you did published it😁

All jest aside. The way I see it, you need XBL to play MS on PC & we have GP as well. I'm going with PC as part of Xbox ecosystem without the hardware in itself and therefore that makes anyone a Manticore with PS4/5 & Nintendo Switch.

So, are you going to change the definition?😎

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 DaVillain  Moderator

@Pedro: Why ask me and not Stevo_The_Gamer?

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 kingtito

@davillain- said:
@kingtito said:

If we're gonna go there, I'll say this. You need an XBL account to play MS games, we have Game Pass and some of us use an Xbox controller and all of this on PC, yes it's really just playing MS games as if we are doing it on Xbox One & Series X/S. The only slight difference is 30fps & 60fps. To sum it up, PC+MS games on it alone with PS4/5 & Nintendo Switch really makes it a manticore.

Sure, you can also go with PS Now on the PC but that's a streaming service. In other words, that's debatable.

I don't agree with that. You have to own and play it on the systems to be a manticore because all playing on the PC means is that it's a multiplat and playing on an Xbox controller doesn't == the console.

Sorry man but streaming or downloading the game on PC has to be considered the same. You can't have it both ways.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Pedro

@davillain- said:

@Pedro: Why ask me and not Stevo_The_Gamer?

Because it doesn't seem like he cares one way or the other and it looked as though you are proposing a change. Nothing beyond that.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45516 Posts

@kingtito: Xbox is the only one who puts all of their games on PC. Xbox has already said PC is an extension of their platform. There's nothing to debate.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 kingtito

@SolidGame_basic said:

@kingtito: Xbox is the only one who puts all of their games on PC. Xbox has already said PC is an extension of their platform. There's nothing to debate.

That doesn't matter. Playing Xbox games on PC =/= playing on an Xbox console. PC is not an Xbox even if it shares all of it's games.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

but can you elaborate on why it's not? Being a Lem is NOT about a specific piece of hardware, nor is being a Cow - does it matter if one user on here is on a PS Vita or PS4 or PS5? No - they are a cow. It's defined by the platform branding more than anything else. Same games, same controller, hooked up to the TV - viola, you have an xbox. Perhaps the best counterpoint I can see is that you don't pay to play online and the PC and console won't have universal cross-play multiplayer - especially where multiplats are concerned. Which would be a fair argument and is a real problem for the integration effort. Ok you convinced me :-P

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By kingtito

@xantufrog said:

but can you elaborate on why it's not? Being a Lem is NOT about a specific piece of hardware, nor is being a Cow - does it matter if one user on here is on a PS Vita or PS4 or PS5? No - they are a cow. It's defined by the platform branding more than anything else. Same games, same controller, hooked up to the TV - viola, you have an xbox. Perhaps the best counterpoint I can see is that you don't pay to play online and the PC and console won't have universal cross-play multiplayer - especially where multiplats are concerned. Which would be a fair argument that actually combats the integration effort. Ok you convinced me :-P

Hasn't SWs definition of manticore been one that plays on all systems? Not one that plays games from a service associated with a console or what used to be associated with a console since it's now a PC service as well. How would you be a manticore, by SWs, standards if you're playing games on PC in lieu of a console? Is it the software that defines what a manitcore is?

Are we now changing the definition? Serious question cause it's always been my understanding a manticore plays on all systems not on all services.

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

Yup. PC/Pro/Switch.

This although, I am getting a PS5.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 SolidGame_basic

@kingtito said:
@xantufrog said:

but can you elaborate on why it's not? Being a Lem is NOT about a specific piece of hardware, nor is being a Cow - does it matter if one user on here is on a PS Vita or PS4 or PS5? No - they are a cow. It's defined by the platform branding more than anything else. Same games, same controller, hooked up to the TV - viola, you have an xbox. Perhaps the best counterpoint I can see is that you don't pay to play online and the PC and console won't have universal cross-play multiplayer - especially where multiplats are concerned. Which would be a fair argument that actually combats the integration effort. Ok you convinced me :-P

Hasn't SWs definition of manticore been one that plays on all systems? Not one that plays games from a service associated with a console or what used to be associated with a console since it's now a PC service as well. How would you be a manticore, by SWs, standards if you're playing games on PC in lieu of a console? Is it the software that defines what a manitcore is?

Are we now changing the definition? Serious question cause it's always been my understanding a manticore plays on all systems not on all services.

If I'm an Xbox fan, but enjoy playing Xbox games on PC, does that not make me an Xbox fan all of a sudden?

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 kingtito

@SolidGame_basic said:
@kingtito said:
@xantufrog said:

If I'm an Xbox fan, but enjoy playing Xbox games on PC, does that not make me an Xbox fan all of a sudden?

1 has nothing to do with the other at least not in your example. If you're talking about a lem then you just need to prefer the Xbox over the other systems on SWs even if in real life you don't really care. Is that what we're saying a manticore is? Someone that likes all systems? If so then I would say most people are manitcores except for the hardcore cows we have here.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 xantufrog  Moderator

@kingtito said:
@xantufrog said:

Well, I think that's the question being discussed - yes, historically it meant all systems. But it's already fuzzy under that definition because someone playing on a PS Vita is a... ? Cow? Even though they aren't on a PS4? 3DS vs Switch - does it matter? Sheep. So then if you're some combo of those from all of the big 3 and have a PC you'd be a manticore? But now it's complicated for Xbox and PC further.

(I'm only interested from an academic standpoint, BTW - if y'all want us to change it [or not change it] either is fine with me. I'm ok not qualifying as manticore any more. My life will keep on)

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 SolidGame_basic

@kingtito said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@kingtito said:
@xantufrog said:

1 has nothing to do with the other at least not in your example. If you're talking about a lem then you just need to prefer the Xbox over the other systems on SWs even if in real life you don't really care. Is that what we're saying a manticore is? Someone that likes all systems? If so then I would say most people are manitcores except for the hardcore cows we have here.

Just to be clear, this is not a serious topic for me 😄, just fun to entertain and debate.

To me, the meaning of it has become outdated. Back in the 2000s, consoles and PCs were distinct, they had their own unique libraries. Hardware was different. Consoles and PCs have merged a lot since then. Now that MS treats PC and Xbox as one, what do you call someone who enjoys playing all games? I play good games, doesn't matter what the brand is. To me, that's what the meaning of manticore is, in spirit.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#129 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1679 Posts

Main system is my X1. Also have a 360, Genesis and PS2 hooked up that have all been used recently. My son bought home a PS4 last year and I haven't even touched it. Haven't played anything Nintendo since my Gamecube died.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1848 Posts

I am into yourmamacore

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23734 Posts

@ivangrozny said:

I am into yourmamacore

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#132 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

You know its a slow week when this gets past the first page lol.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

I'm a manticore and even I can admit that Sony makes the best games.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13672 Posts

I game on all platforms. My main platforms is PSnow on PC, PC, Wii U/Wii, GC, Xbox/360 and soon the Series S.

Becoming a PC gamer has made the "console wars" seem silly to me. Not because the PC is more powerful, I just don't care about platforms, exclusivity or generations anymore, games are games, it's not that deep. Seems strange to see how passionate the PS crowd are about these things right now.

Not saying lems are any better, they were just forced to not care about these things. Nintendo gamers do it because it's the Nintendo way, I don't think they'd burst a blood vessel if one of their games was on more than one platform. PS fanboys on YouTube were calling out Sony for "betraying" them when one or two of their games came to the PC. :-O Calm down. I think exclusivity add another layer of enjoyment to the gameplay for them.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 kingtito

@xantufrog said:
@kingtito said:
@xantufrog said:

Well, I think that's the question being discussed - yes, historically it meant all systems. But it's already fuzzy under that definition because someone playing on a PS Vita is a... ? Cow? Even though they aren't on a PS4? 3DS vs Switch - does it matter? Sheep. So then if you're some combo of those from all of the big 3 and have a PC you'd be a manticore? But now it's complicated for Xbox and PC further.

(I'm only interested from an academic standpoint, BTW - if y'all want us to change it [or not change it] either is fine with me. I'm ok not qualifying as manticore any more. My life will keep on)

Perhaps it's time to update our definition then.

I always thought of cows as being those loyal to the PS brand and not necessarily PS console. That's just what I always thought but my definition could differ from everyone else.

Yeah I'm fine with it as well.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 kingtito
@SolidGame_basic said:
@kingtito said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@kingtito said:
@xantufrog said:

Just to be clear, this is not a serious topic for me 😄, just fun to entertain and debate.

To me, the meaning of it has become outdated. Back in the 2000s, consoles and PCs were distinct, they had their own unique libraries. Hardware was different. Consoles and PCs have merged a lot since then. Now that MS treats PC and Xbox as one, what do you call someone who enjoys playing all games? I play good games, doesn't matter what the brand is. To me, that's what the meaning of manticore is, in spirit.

I'm with you there. Something to help pass the time that isn't so serious.

You could be right. It might be time to update the definition.

Something to think about for sure.