Are traditional console generations a thing of the past?

• 88 results
Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Are traditional console generations a thing of the past? (46 votes)

Yes, with Xbox family of consoles and Sony's copy of that, consoles are blurring the lines with PC 48%
No, you just wait for the reckoning that will be the PS5! XBOTS REPENT AND CONFESS YOUR SINS NOW!!! 50%
New console generations, I'm still saving for a current gen console, wtf? 2%

The reason I made this thread is because I have read a lot of posts on this forum about the next gen console generations. It seems to me either a lot of people don't understand how console makers have already changed the game with the mid gen upgrades and how they will be different going forward. Either that or maybe some people don't believe Sony is doing away with traditional console generations.

Traditional console generations are over with as far as Microsoft is concerned. The only question remains with Sony and Nintendo. The assumption is Sony will do the same as Microsoft. We'll see what happens with Nintendo but I don't worry about them because practically everything they do is awesome.

If console generations are over, then we must think of the PS5 and next gen Xbox as new console refreshes like the PS4 Pro and X1X. What I mean is for example the PS5 will run all PS4/PS4 Pro games as well as the new PS5 games. However, the PS4/PS4 Pro will also run all the new PS5 games.

The difference will be the PS5 graphics will be amazing for the new games built for the system but older games that haven't received a patch will receive marginal improvements. Exactly the same situation as with the mid gen consoles, the X1X and PS4 Pro.

The biggest difference between Microsoft and Sony(if they both do away with traditional console generations), is how they handle the change.

I am hoping Microsoft implements PC like sliders that you can use to manipulate the graphics of older games so that all games even the old ones get substantial upgrades just like PC when you buy a new GPU and run older games. In other words, all games become automatically patched with comprehensive options for graphics settings. I am betting Microsoft the billion dollar software company will do a lot better than Sony at implementing that which is a software solution.

So systemwarriors, what say you about the new console generations going forward?

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

More shit posting pls.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

There will be an Xbox Next the moment it dawns on the bean counters that it would be good business sense to distance their console from the Xbox One branding. Y'all are being completely silly over this generationless mess. Not to mention, when graphics hardware refreshes with a better rendering technology with software API that take advantage of it, you won't even care that there is a next generation.

If you want a gaming machine free of generational refreshes quit being a noon and build a pc. And for the record, the less than 30 million brand loyal lemmings out there don't dictate shit to the industry.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#3  Edited By Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2949 Posts

I think so.

Sony and Microsoft have muddied the waters. I really don't care about sliders and stuff, but I do hope though that the next Xbox supports all the old games much like I hope PlayStation will do the same.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

High end hardware has become too expensive for console manufacturers, so consoles are becoming weaker and weaker (compared to PCs). Technology is also plateauing somewhat. The leap in graphical detail from the last generation to this one was much smaller than the leap from 6th to 7th generation.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Nice facts you got there

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 5

#6 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

@UssjTrunks said:

High end hardware has become too expensive for console manufacturers, so consoles are becoming weaker and weaker (compared to PCs). Technology is also plateauing somewhat. The leap in graphical detail from the last generation to this one was much smaller than the leap from 6th to 7th generation.

That has more to do with development costs. We'd get better hardware if games were more expensive, but nobody is willing to shell out $80, are they? Hence, at the current state of the industry from a business standpoint it makes total sense to have small graphical leaps, we will only see it growing.

I do think that eventually consoles will evolve, not die out. I'm still waiting for a console that is hugely portable, I mean that you can easily take on your pocket and connect it to a television screen, similar to Roku. That will be a huge step. Don't ask me about physical media, that will die down in the next decade.

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Syn_Valence  Online
Member since 2004 • 2139 Posts

It was a failed experiment. Consoles aren't PC's or cellphones.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

@needhealing said:
@UssjTrunks said:

That has more to do with development costs. We'd get better hardware if games were more expensive, but nobody is willing to shell out $80, are they? Hence, at the current state of the industry from a business standpoint it makes total sense to have small graphical leaps, we will only see it growing.

I do think that eventually consoles will evolve, not die out. I'm still waiting for a console that is hugely portable, I mean that you can easily take on your pocket and connect it to a television screen, similar to Roku. That will be a huge step. Don't ask me about physical media, that will die down in the next decade.

Development costs haven't changed. Better technology increases the efficiency of development.

Creepywelps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Creepywelps
Member since 2015 • 2964 Posts

Terrible post.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@undefined: Sony copied MS but released the mid gen console a year earlier... Sure, that makes sense. I feel really bad for Lems... As you represent them in these horrible threads.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Xplode_games
Member since 2011 • 2540 Posts

@Syn_Valence said:

It was a failed experiment. Consoles aren't PC's or cellphones.

OK let's think this through here a moment. Let's say both next gen consoles release in 2021 for roughly $499 each and with roughly the same specs for the sake of argument.

On the one hand let's say Sony does as you say and learns from the failed experiment. They release let's say 20 games at launch for the PS5. All of those 150 million(assuming it reaches this by 2021) PS4 owners will have to buy a $499 PS5 to play the handful of PS5 games. It also makes it almost impossible to only own a PS5 because there would only be 20 games at launch. Yes the games will look sick and blow everyone away but only 20 games and nothing else. The library will continue to grow slowly. Those who take this route I think will be forced to keep their PS4s around while they also sometimes play their PS5.

On the other hand you have Microsoft releasing the next gen Xbox as part of their family of Xbox consoles. The next gen Xbox will run all your existing Xbox library, every single game. The only thing is all the games will be enhanced. Especially the ones that were made specifically for the X1X, those are made with the X1X and future hardware in mind. This means with no coding required, most of those games will run at full 4k and 60 fps on the new next gen Xbox. And those games are free, you already own them. You don't lose out on your existing game library. The only thing is that now everything looks and runs much better. You also will get let's say the 20 or so next gen Xbox games that will look amazing but I can't emphasize this enough, you retain your old game library. For example I have almost 200 Xbox games currently. I don't want to lose that moving up to a new console, I much rather keep them and actually get an upgrade to my gaming library. If you don't want to upgrade, you can just stay with your Xbox One X and that will run all the next gen Xbox games as well. No it won't run them as great as the new Xbox but it will run them pretty darn good. Even the regular Xbox One S will run all the new next gen Xbox games.

I think that would be a colossal mistake by Sony if that's the route they take. It would be a bigger mistake than the way they started last gen with the $599 Bluraystation 3. It would put Microsoft back on top again. I doubt you will agree with me but we can both wait and see who was right.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Indeed the console generation is going through a renaissance of sorts. Traditionally, a new console gen meant all your previous games would no longer work as you moved on to new hardware. The expectation that came with that was mainly "a big graphical upgrade".

Now it's different because it is not just about the hardware, but the online ecosystem(XBL or PSN) plays a huge factor in the experience as well. Nintendo's success in the portable market allows them to do things differently, so it's hard to compare them with Sony and Microsoft.

Moving forward, this is what my expectations are with future gens:

*The graphical upgrade needs to be similar or (preferably) bigger than what we saw mid gen with X and Pro. I don't want too many sliders for graphics options, if I wanted that kind of control I would buy a PC....pre-set choices, like what we have in Gears 4 for example, is fine for me....that's one of the things I like about consoles, don't have to play around with that stuff too much. I remember COD WW2 had like 4 different screens(or something like that) just for the HDR brightness settings. It can already get crowded with the options even without all the graphical sliders. Let them test all that stuff and give me the pre-set of the 2 best choices, or 3: visuals max, performance max, or balanced.

*The big majority of my current games & accessories need to be compatible with the next gen hardware. I'll understand the smaller devs who cannot keep up, but the high profile games(especially 1st party) need to be compatible with future hardware.

*Additional Quality of life stuff with the new hardware/ecosystem. For instance, this gen brought us social media integration (streaming/clips), I expect a new gen to bring some extra new stuff like that as well.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3055 Posts

I hope not. These mid-gen refreshes completely cut the "wow" factor out of new consoles. These half jumps in graphical fidelity aren't enough, and would be way more impressive in a normal console cycle. But even graphics are getting into the diminishing returns zone.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

No. Because tech changes too much. We will always get new gens. New gens are better for marketing too.

No one wants minor upgrades. People want next gen leaps.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Xplode_games

Wow, this is getting scary for Playstation. No, is actually winning. This translates into the majority of those who took the poll so far, don't realize this would be the absolute demise of Sony.

It's astonishing the lack of vision displayed here by most. Wow!

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

If you'd left the answers as "yes" and "No" then I'd have considered answering.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Yes indeed with games and peripherals all BC and FC, buy once play anywhere is just what Doc SP ordered.

Thank you MS, truly for the gamers.... Jazzz. :P

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#19 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Xplode_games:

If Sony makes a true next gen console then Microsoft will have to follow up or risk being ledt behind. You're counting too much on the fact that the Pro and OneX exist but you forget that they were never meant to outlive the originals. If developers continue to support the OneX once PS5 is out then they'd have to water down the new games so they can run on older architecture. At some point, they'd have to build a new Xbox with better architecture. To the point where old OneX owners won't be able to run the new games without heavy optimization from the developers. Like what happened with the Rise of the Tomb Raider on 360.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

Avatar image for samuelsamuelsamuel
SamuelSamuelSamuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SamuelSamuelSamuel
Member since 2018 • 28 Posts

You remember that grey one with those cartridges that collected dust? Still awesome even today.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

Wow, someone is really insecure about their Xbox one X purchase aren't they!

This is thread is pretty much a Xbox One X buyers remorse and search for validation rant.

Seriously your poll answer for yes is Sony copying MS family consoles? Did you miss the first 3/4 of this generation where MS was basically trying to retroactively convert the Xbox one into the PS4?

Aside from that, Sony has 0 reason NOT to proceed with generational consoles. Actually it's idiotic to suggest Sony wouldn't continue generations because that's MS's biggest drawback with Xbox one X.

You probably realize that fact and are trying to justify your $500 investment with the wet dream that Sony might also bypass a new hardware generation with dedicated exclusives. The idea is so desperate it's comical.

Yes Sony WONT purse a new hardware generation to conform to MS "play everywhere" strategy and to ease the pain of xbox fans who blew $500 on so they can sleep better a night :) end sarcasm, ridiculous.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#23 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Not yet. I won’t declare it until Sony and MS show us how they’re going to balance future releases across devices. The industry expects BoneX and 4Pro to continue to receive legacy support but I’ll believe it when I see it.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Xplode_games

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@Xplode_games:

If Sony makes a true next gen console then Microsoft will have to follow up or risk being ledt behind. You're counting too much on the fact that the Pro and OneX exist but you forget that they were never meant to outlive the originals. If developers continue to support the OneX once PS5 is out then they'd have to water down the new games so they can run on older architecture. At some point, they'd have to build a new Xbox with better architecture. To the point where old OneX owners won't be able to run the new games without heavy optimization from the developers. Like what happened with the Rise of the Tomb Raider on 360.

The only one that will be left behind is Sony if they don't follow Microsoft's lead. Sony will be left behind and filing for protection under bankruptcy laws if they do as you say.

Have you ever heard of scalable game engines? That means the same game engine can run on a wide range of hardware, with the graphics being scaled up or down depending on the capabilities of the hardware. Practically every single current gen engine has been developed with scalability in mind. They are doing this because they already know the direction the game industry is heading. This has been determined a long time ago and is nigh impossible to change now.

Sony simply doesn't have the power(although i'm sure cows wish they did) to disrupt the momentum of the entire industry just because they find themselves in a position that they want to corner the next gen market. They won't be able to do it by going rogue and releasing a traditional next gen system, it would be the end of Sony because no one would cater to it. The only thing that PS5 would get is the same scalable game engine games ported over to PS5 that the fully BC FC next gen Xbox gets. It would be incredibly disastrous for them.

Another thing, I highly doubt Sony thinks what you propose is a good idea. They will almost certainly follow in Microsoft's footsteps. The next gen PS5 will very likely be powered by another AMD APU. This means it will be easy to make it fully BC with the PS4. The other part of making the PS4/Pro FC with the PS5 is a no brainer because the entire industry is already invested in that direction. Why in the heck would they just put out a crazy rogue console like that? Doesn't make sense. Unless they are planning on going with another Cell type console with proprietary parts and boy if they do that for so many reasons that are too long to write here, it would be the absolute disaster that I'm sure you can't imagine.

Only someone with a complete lack of vision can believe this is a good idea for Sony.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Xplode_games

@xantufrog said:
@GarGx1 said:

Aren't you the fanboy mod that locked my other thread while leaving a similar(posted after mine) only true trolling thread go on? Then you ignored me when I messaged you asking about it. Ok buddy, you have a ton of credibility here. Loads of it you highly powerful mod.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Xplode_games

@samuelsamuelsamuel said:

You remember that grey one with those cartridges that collected dust? Still awesome even today.

I don't know which grey one your'e talking about but I bought a grey one last year that I think is awesome. It's called the SNES Classic, I love it. It's also entirely off topic. I apologize in advance if I misunderstood you. Not quite sure what you're talking about to be honest.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@Xplode_games said:
@xantufrog said:
@GarGx1 said:

Aren't you the fanboy mod that locked my other thread while leaving a similar(posted after mine) only true trolling thread go on? Then you ignored me when I messaged you asking about it. Ok buddy, you have a ton of credibility here. Loads of it you highly powerful mod.

Lol, the mod-spiracy continues

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebd39d683340
deactivated-5ebd39d683340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By deactivated-5ebd39d683340
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

I hope Microsoft makes the X an ode to the past and keeps a team working on extra BC games, until most games from the entire xbox era are playable on it.

However, for them to end the Xbox One family there and for good. Including the Xbox one X with the Xbox 4 library of games would be a mistake. At the very least Xbox 4 needs to have her own exclusives. I understand sales pushes developers their games and that the Xbox one initially has a larger user base, but time and time again has Playstation been able to re-use the same formula of a generational console and be successfull with it. It's because of their first party exclusive line-up which are not cross platform at their release but exclusive to the latest iteration of the PS console.

Exclusive games pushes a new generation of consoles, not backwards compatability (entirely) Since the X can run games BC at 4K, it's time to round off BC there. But M$ has very little exclusives to push a new generation without keeping the Xbox One into the equation.

If M$ can make a next gen console that can BC all Xbox One games without extra workforce needed then that would be magical.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Xplode_games

@tgob89 said:

Wow, someone is really insecure about their Xbox one X purchase aren't they!

This is thread is pretty much a Xbox One X buyers remorse and search for validation rant.

Seriously your poll answer for yes is Sony copying MS family consoles? Did you miss the first 3/4 of this generation where MS was basically trying to retroactively convert the Xbox one into the PS4?

Aside from that, Sony has 0 reason NOT to proceed with generational consoles. Actually it's idiotic to suggest Sony wouldn't continue generations because that's MS's biggest drawback with Xbox one X.

You probably realize that fact and are trying to justify your $500 investment with the wet dream that Sony might also bypass a new hardware generation with dedicated exclusives. The idea is so desperate it's comical.

Yes Sony WONT purse a new hardware generation to conform to MS "play everywhere" strategy and to ease the pain of xbox fans who blew $500 on so they can sleep better a night :) end sarcasm, ridiculous.

This post is ridiculous but I am going to give you an intelligent and respectful reply because I believe you truly believe what you are accusing me of here. I don't think you're just saying it to be an @ss so you deserve a response. I didn't buy an Xbox One X because of anything to do with next gen. I chose Xbox instead of Playstation because of future gens going forward but that's a different story.

I will tell you exactly why I bought an Xbox One X. I agree with the cows(imagine that) that the regular Xbox One and Xbox One S is highly underpowered. The regular PS4 hardware is way better, always has been the case. That's why they are ahead I think and I think they deserve to be ahead because they made much better decisions than Microsoft. I loved and was cheering at the keynote speech when Jack Tretton really destroyed Microsoft's moronic design decisions to begin this gen. I loathed that moron that was running Microsoft before. Let me break it down even more for you, the reasons had nothing to do with kinect. I always thought kinect was fine, just it was implemented by a bunch of idiots.

After that Jack Tretton keynote, Microsoft went scrambling but they didn't scramble enough. I thought at that point(before release), they should've changed the price of the Xbox One to $399 ***INCLUDING KINECT***. Then they could've at least said, look our hardware is mediocre(trash I know) but we have kinect. This gives you a camera for skype or games, for also twitch and online streaming, also great for exercise and dance games and has all the voice commands that differentiate this from Sony's console. Maybe like that, they could've stopped the bleeding a lot better at that point. But they didn't do sh!t and deserve what they got.

Look, I could write a book about this so I will stop with the history and move on. The reason I bought an X is to get the performance that the regular Xbox never delivered. I want something with snappy menus, fast load times, great graphics and so on. I don't want a crippled piece of crap box. With the Xbox One X, I ensured that I will be playing on the most powerful console hardware available until the year 2021 when the new consoles launch and of course I'll upgrade then. Do you really think I have remorse that I bought a console that I will enjoy gaming for years on my 4k HDR TV because you think in years the PS5 will kill it? I don't even know if that's your argument. It's so absurd, I'm not even sure what you're accusing me of.

I am also happy that I don't have to throw my Xbox One X in the trash or trade it in(sell it) when the next gen Xbox is released. I can keep it and maybe put it in a bedroom as a UHD player/console or sell it if I want to. But not because it instantly becomes obsolete crap due to support being dropped completely in favor of the new generation. I love that and think it's great. I also love the full BC and FC that the next gen Xbox will fully support. I love Microsoft's direction and I believe it is the only direction that makes sense.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Xplode_games

@drlostrib said:
@Xplode_games said:
@xantufrog said:
@GarGx1 said:

Do you believe it is impossible to be a fanboy and mod at the same time?

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DrLostRib

@Xplode_games said:
@drlostrib said:
@Xplode_games said:
@xantufrog said:
@GarGx1 said:

I believe that it had nothing to do with your thread getting locked

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Xplode_games

@drlostrib said:
@Xplode_games said:
@drlostrib said:
@Xplode_games said:
@xantufrog said:

Are you going to answer my question?

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DrLostRib

@Xplode_games said:
@drlostrib said:
@Xplode_games said:
@drlostrib said:
@Xplode_games said:

but your question isn't relevant

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Xplode_games

@drlostrib said:
@Xplode_games said:
@drlostrib said:
@Xplode_games said:
@drlostrib said:

It's relevant to me because I believe he is a fanboy. This is the same forum that locked the DF threads for months leading up to the Christmas shopping season. Probably because one or more fanboy mods felt their precious Playstation was being criticized and got hurt emotionally by it. Meanwhile for years you had the DF comparisons between the PS4 and Xbox. I never minded that, it was real and important information. But when it hurts the Playstation, some mods around here were and are still trying to sweep crap under the rug. You might be selectively perfectly ok with that. It shows what type of person you are. I'm a different type of person that is not ok with that. You don't have to answer the question, you never do anyway.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DrLostRib

@Xplode_games said:
@drlostrib said:
@Xplode_games said:
@drlostrib said:

It's relevant to me because I believe he is a fanboy. This is the same forum that locked the DF threads for months leading up to the Christmas shopping season. Probably because one or more fanboy mods felt their precious Playstation was being criticized and got hurt emotionally by it. Meanwhile for years you had the DF comparisons between the PS4 and Xbox. I never minded that, it was real and important information. But when it hurts the Playstation, some mods around here were and are still trying to sweep crap under the rug. You might be selectively perfectly ok with that. It shows what type of person you are. I'm a different type of person that is not ok with that. You don't have to answer the question, you never do anyway.

So because he locked your flamebait thread for being flamebait, he's a fanboy? And I'm pretty sure you're having selective memory about what's happened on here, just to fit your skewed fanboy perspective. And what "type of person" am I?

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

There will be an Xbox Next the moment it dawns on the bean counters that it would be good business sense to distance their console from the Xbox One branding. Y'all are being completely silly over this generationless mess. Not to mention, when graphics hardware refreshes with a better rendering technology with software API that take advantage of it, you won't even care that there is a next generation.

If you want a gaming machine free of generational refreshes quit being a noon and build a pc. And for the record, the less than 30 million brand loyal lemmings out there don't dictate shit to the industry.

Give it rest cowgenja. No one's buying your BS you're peddling. That apology will NEVER come so you might as well stop posting about it.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@Xplode_games: wow, you need to give it a rest. For the record, after I locked your thread and gave you a warning, I learned that other mods had been discussing you and planning on giving you a strike but I beat them to it with a more mild moderation. So maybe you should slow your roll.

To answer your PM - the "other thread" was left open because it was nothing like your thread. It didn't spread any misinformation and simply asked the other users to discuss their feelings on how the awards turned out. If you can't see the difference... well, I suppose it explains part of why you post the way you do.

Suck it up and deal with it - I'm not going to get drawn into some personality thing with you and your jabs about me being a fanboy.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Xplode_games

@drlostrib said:
@Xplode_games said:
@drlostrib said:
@Xplode_games said:
@drlostrib said:

So because he locked your flamebait thread for being flamebait, he's a fanboy? And I'm pretty sure you're having selective memory about what's happened on here, just to fit your skewed fanboy perspective. And what "type of person" am I?

How can a thread that calls for intelligent discussion be flambait? You are confusing a flamebait topic with someone calling for an intelligent discussion with a provocative title. I like provocative titles because I think they are fun and of course who wants to click on a boring title?

You are a fanboy so you consider any strong criticism of Playstation to be a flamebait thread. To you it's wrong and you don't like it so you want it gone. You don't read it or care what it's in it. Only thing you know is it's negative about Playstation and you want it removed immediately. Of course you will think a mod is just doing their job when they remove the "flamebait" thread. I'm sure you actually believe that. It's not true because my intention is not to troll people. It's to engage in intelligent discussion. Notice how much I write and how I think through what I write?

A troll writes a one liner then throws little gifs and other clowning crap to try to rile people up. That's not what i'm doing and you people are ridiculous for accusing me of that. Why don't you admit it that you want my topics removed if they are critical of Playstation? That's really the bottom line.

As far as what type of person you are, I don't know. Only you know what type of person you are.

Avatar image for samuelsamuelsamuel
SamuelSamuelSamuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SamuelSamuelSamuel
Member since 2018 • 28 Posts

@Xplode_games: SNES was good. Lets not forget about NES though.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@stuff238 said:

No. Because tech changes too much. We will always get new gens. New gens are better for marketing too.

No one wants minor upgrades. People want next gen leaps.

Current sales of PS4 would disagree here. Nothing about the PS4 is a generational leap over the PS3, unless you think 1080/30 on most games is considered a huge leap. 360.Ps3 was a generational leap of the PS2/OGX but not the PS4/X1.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#41 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

Sony always made mid-gen revision of their consol. Y'know bringing the slim version that performed better than the original version. While this time it is the first time they boost the power in a significant manner, it is still a mid-gen update that change nothing and removes nothing to the OG PS4 and OG X1.

Until we can change what is inside the consol, we will still see proper gen, maybe not as obvious as in previous gen where all the new consols released in a year window but still.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Xplode_games

@xantufrog said:

@Xplode_games: wow, you need to give it a rest. For the record, other mods were planning on giving you a strike but I beat them to it when i locked your thread and gave you a warning. So maybe you should slow your roll.

To answer your PM - the "other thread" was left open because it was nothing like your thread. It didn't spread any misinformation and simply asked the other users to discuss their feelings on how the awards turned out. If you can't see the difference... well, I suppose it explains part of why you post the way you do.

Suck it up and deal with it - I'm not going to get drawn into some personality thing with you and your jabs about me being a fanboy.

I don't know who's a fanboy and who's not I only know what I see and that's what I go on. I don't try to read into what people say, I take them at their word and I will do the same for you as well. Maybe it was a misunderstanding, we shall see.

I will say this in my defense, I am posting these things in a forum that this message board calls systemwars. What is systemwars if it is not a battle between systems? How can this be systemwars if no one is allowed to really criticize something about Playstation that is actually the major player in the industry right now, then how is this systemwars?

If I went to the Playstation forum and started attacking Playstation there, I would see the point. And I am not criticizing Playstation always for the hell of it. I criticize them when they deserve it. I will do the same for any other company. It's like when DF says a patch for example is crap, that is good. I love when they do that because they call attention to it so the devs rush to fix it. That's awesome. If everyone honestly criticized these big companies when they deserve it we would all as gamers be better off as a result.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DrLostRib

@Xplode_games said:
@drlostrib said:
@Xplode_games said:
@drlostrib said:
@Xplode_games said:

How can a thread that calls for intelligent discussion be flambait? You are confusing a flamebait topic with someone calling for an intelligent discussion with a provocative title. I like provocative titles because I think they are fun and of course who wants to click on a boring title?

You are a fanboy so you consider any strong criticism of Playstation to be a flamebait thread. To you it's wrong and you don't like it so you want it gone. You don't read it or care what it's in it. Only thing you know is it's negative about Playstation and you want it removed immediately. Of course you will think a mod is just doing their job when they remove the "flamebait" thread. I'm sure you actually believe that. It's not true because my intention is not to troll people. It's to engage in intelligent discussion. Notice how much I write and how I think through what I write?

A troll writes a one liner then throws little gifs and other clowning crap to try to rile people up. That's not what i'm doing and you people are ridiculous for accusing me of that. Why don't you admit it that you want my topics removed if they are critical of Playstation? That's really the bottom line.

As far as what type of person you are, I don't know. Only you know what type of person you are.

Lol, no now I'm a Playstation fanboy as well? I mean he gave you an explanation of why it was locked, and it's crazy that you'd be surprised your threads get locked. Just writing a lot does not mean it's worthwhile, that it's not trolling/flamebait. I think you're doing what you accuse others of, that because they disagree with you or dislike your posts you try to paint them as Playstation fanboys (or abusive mods in this case). When it's more likely that your post was just shit, heck even some Xbox fanboys think you're a troll.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DrLostRib

@Xplode_games said:
@xantufrog said:

@Xplode_games: wow, you need to give it a rest. For the record, other mods were planning on giving you a strike but I beat them to it when i locked your thread and gave you a warning. So maybe you should slow your roll.

I don't know who's a fanboy and who's not I only know what I see and that's what I go on. I don't try to read into what people say, I take them at their word and I will do the same for you as well. Maybe it was a misunderstanding, we shall see.

I will say this in my defense, I am posting these things in a forum that this message board calls systemwars. What is systemwars if it is not a battle between systems? How can this be systemwars if no one is allowed to really criticize something about Playstation that is actually the major player in the industry right now, then how is this systemwars?

If I went to the Playstation forum and started attacking Playstation there, I would see the point. And I am not criticizing Playstation always for the hell of it. I criticize them when they deserve it. I will do the same for any other company. It's like when DF says a patch for example is crap, that is good. I love when they do that because they call attention to it so the devs rush to fix it. That's awesome. If everyone honestly criticized these big companies when they deserve it we would all as gamers be better off as a result.

No one said you can't criticize Playstation here

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56103 Posts

@Xplode_games: If I were you, I show Xantufrog some gratitude here, he's one of the coolest mods around and he save you from getting into more trouble then you already are now. You can and always criticize Sony here, just have some links to back up your claims is all anyone is saying.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Xplode_games

@drlostrib said:
@Xplode_games said:
@xantufrog said:

Yea I know, they even dedicate a little locked thread at the top for DF threads and lock everything else. Any major negative news for Playstation in the future, I'm sure we can all count on a little locked Playstation thread for all the criticisms. You're right, you can criticize Playstation here.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@Xplode_games: it's about misinformation and flamebait, not the fact that you are speaking out against PS. The other thread you wanted me to lock was also highlighting the failings of PS, BTW - not sure how that fits your narrative.

The difference between this thread, and the one that I locked, is that here you're sharing an opinion and speculating about how you think things will play out and why you think MS will fare better. That's perfectly fine. Your poll... which is what I was reacting to... well I actually agree with you except that the only way for someone to agree with you on your poll is to make some kind of statement that PS copied MS - which I don't agree with. The PS4 is the first PS system to NOT offer what you are saying the next XBox and PS should have. So I can't really answer your poll, because the option that I otherwise agree with ("Yes") has added details tacked on that I don't agree with. So this thread is generally fine other than some sneaky poll options.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DrLostRib

@Xplode_games said:
@drlostrib said:
@Xplode_games said:
@xantufrog said:

Yea I know, they even dedicate a little locked thread at the top for DF threads and lock everything else. Any major negative news for Playstation in the future, I'm sure we can all count on a little locked Playstation thread for all the criticisms. You're right, you can criticize Playstation here.

...wtf are you talking about? Take off your fanboy goggles

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#49 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Xplode_games:

So you are completely sold on the idea that ps5 and Xbox 4 will never exist just because of the OneX and the Pro? What would you do if you turned out to be wrong?

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Xplode_games

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@Xplode_games:

So you are completely sold on the idea that ps5 and Xbox 4 will never exist just because of the OneX and the Pro? What would you do if you turned out to be wrong?

If I understood you correctly, you are asking me what would I do if both Microsoft and Sony continue traditional console generations? Well, first of all I would be angry at first. Because I have always hated having to throw away all my games at the end of a generation just to upgrade to the one or two good games on the next gen that are not really that good(just graphics) because the developer didn't have time to optimize the gameplay due to workout the kinks of new hardware for these launch games. Then I would probably move to PC entirely. I already have over 300 steam games and a gaming PC. I game on consoles because I find them to be the best thing for the living room right now. If consoles f@ck up that badly, then I will just build a PC for the living room and never look back.