Are there any consoles you regret buying?

• 131 results
Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

For me it's gotta be the Nintendo Switch. I skipped the WiiU and didn't play many games on the Wii so I was hoping this would be the first Nintendo console I'd enjoy since the GC. That was a big mistake. There have been nothing but disappointing games on it. The worst Paper Mario, the worst Mario Golf, the worst Mario Tennis, the worst mainline Pokemon games, one of the worst Zelda games ever. I'm convinced Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 never existed and were only used as a ploy to sell the console to core gamers. The best games on it are WiiU ports Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart 8.

You have to pay $20 to use Nintendo's archaic online service that hasn't evolved since the Wii. There's no virtual console so I can't even go back and play the old Nintendo games that were actually good.

It's just a bad console and completely overpriced for what it is. Basically it's just a rebranded WiiU with mostly the same games and the games that aren't ports are as half-assed and lazy as it gets.

What consoles have you regretted buying?

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#2  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

The 32X (super expensive add-on, and a library of only 15 or so games), and the PS2 (my least played 6th gen console, and probably the most overrated/hyped gaming system of all time).

Other than that i feel that i have always made the right decisions.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#3 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

I’ve bought the PS3 not long into it’s release and fu*king Hated the controller. It completely ruined any game I tried. I’ve heard the PS5 controller is much better? At least so I’ve heard?

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

Xb1 for me

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69466 Posts

I wouldn't say regret but the Switch is by far the least played console. Nothing comes remotely close, not even the WiiU.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 734 Posts

I have two regrets with consoles. The Xbox One and then the slightly upgraded Xbox One S. No, I don't hate Xbox as I've owned every gen. I just never felt like they delivered on the games like they did in the 360 era. I am happy to say that I'm shaking off the bitterness from last gen and want a Series X. The future looks bright for MS and have actually made room for it on my shelf. Right next to my PS5 and Switch. All I need to do is find one lol.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Nintendo is given a lot of free passes. Seems many expected, maybe they even said so and reneged on it, but no VC with a wealth of classic releases, like GameCube versions of games like Mario themed golf, baseball, soccer/fútbol, tennis, etc. Such wasted potential.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pedro  Online

@lamprey263 said:

Nintendo is given a lot of free passes. Seems many expected, maybe they even said so and reneged on it, but no VC with a wealth of classic releases, like GameCube versions of games like Mario themed golf, baseball, soccer/fútbol, tennis, etc. Such wasted potential.

Yes they are give a lot of free passes.

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

Yes, the XSX.

Good console with a trash library. There's nothing worth playing on it and that can't be played better on PC and gamepass is not good value since it doesn't have the third party big releases and the first party games are trash and lack variety.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Not a console really but PSV is at the top of the list. I had preordered the 3G version ($300 higher end model) with Uncharted and bought the biggest memory stick at launch. I was all in and had dropped nearly $500 expecting a PSP successor... not a middle finger.

Runners up include the Wii which became a Netflix box, the first Xbox which I only owned for a month, 32X due to a lack of good games and general support, and the Game.com. Just horrible.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@Pedro said:

Yes they are give a lot of free passes.

Dunno about that. The WiiU flopped pretty hard.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

I regret my PS5. It’s too big, hate the two tone, wish it was black, and I don’t really have any games to play on it yet. Not sure why I bought a second one. I’m thinking about selling it also.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NathanDrakeSwag

@Telekill said:

Not a console really but PSV is at the top of the list. I had preordered the 3G version ($300 higher end model) with Uncharted and bought the biggest memory stick at launch. I was all in and had dropped nearly $500 expecting a PSP successor... not a middle finger.

Runners up include the first Xbox which I only owned for a month, 32X due to a lack of good games and general support, and the Game.com. Just horrible.

What sucked about the Vita failing was its problems were so fixable. All they had to do was lower memory stick prices and have their studios make games for it. The hardware was amazing at the time.

The PSP was the best handheld of all time and had a fantastic library.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: Agreed. It was as if Sony just said f**k it after spending millions in R&D.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

PSP I guess. Got it late and didn't play it much.

I could certainly have gotten by w/o my Switch which I got 1.5 years ago. Dont know about regret though.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

PS4.

Exclusives weren't that great, and I think I used it for <100 hours, so it ended up being a waste of money imo. I bought it more or less on sale and a year ago, so it wasn't that expensive, but still...most expensive blu-ray player I've bought.

Not making that mistake this gen, that's for sure. All I need is my PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Vita. Worst portable I've ever owned because Sony didn't support it properly. The system has nice features, great PSP bc, and Persona 4 Golden. That's it.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

I don't even own one, but i'd vote for the Switch🤣

From what i've owned, pretty much nothing.

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

@wonderwinner:

Pictures or it didn't happen

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

I agree with TC in that Switch games have largely been a disappointment. If my family didn't use the "console", it would've been sold long ago.

You are paying for the portability of the Switch. If you leave it in docked you are simply not getting your money's worth out of the functionality. From a hardware perspective, It's basically the same as buying a premium tablet and leaving it plugged in and synced to the TV

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

no.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Nope. Like all my consoles. Always have.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AcidTango  Online
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

None. Every console that I ever owned has always been great for me. I always wait until the console gets a bunch of games that are interesting to me and then I buy the console. If it's lacking games that I want then I will not buy it.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Wouldn't say I regret it, but Netflix aside the PS4 was by far my least used console. Bloodborne definitely being the highlight.

Not a bad console/library by any stretch. Just that realistically it was mostly the 3rd party stuff that brought me to PS consoles. With all the stuff I like going to PC, became redundant.

Again, no regret, but the Switch would be my 2nd least used console. I go into Nintendo consoles with the expectation that I won't use them much, but the occasional bangers will be top notch. And I greatly enjoyed BotW and SMO. Otherwise, most of my favorite Switch games are WiiU ports lol.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Casey-Wegner
Member since 2021 • 1470 Posts

Somebody who is damage controlling in all the Switch sales threads seems perturbed

🤣

@NathanDrakeSwag

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Yea the ps pro

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

Dang, what's with the whole disliking Switch all of a sudden? I use that thing all the time whenever I leave the house due to its portability and if it wasn't for that feature, I totally would have agree about owning another Nintendo console despite we all buy'em just for 1st party games.

But all that aside, my only somewhat regret console purchase was Xbox One and I bought it a year later after that horrible disaster DRM fiasco which I avoided not getting the mandatory Kinect. I bought Xbox One just to play Xbox One exclusives until later on, MS stated they were gonna start supporting PC and if I had know that, I wouldn't bought Xbox One in the first place, and the only game enjoy and love was Rare Replay but that was it. So with that, I ended up giving my Xbox One to my daughter as she can use it more than me despite we both have gaming PCs. That said, I no longer need an Xbox console which is a somewhat shame as I fully enjoy Xbox 360.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@simple-facts said:

Yea the ps pro

Yeah, I gotta admit the quality of that system is complete shit all around.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Casey-Wegner

@davillain- said:

Dang, what's with the whole disliking Switch all of a sudden? I use that thing all the time whenever I leave the house due to its portability and if it wasn't for that feature, I totally would have agree about owning another Nintendo console despite we all buy'em just for 1st party games.

But all that aside, my only somewhat regret console purchase was Xbox One and I bought it a year later after that horrible disaster DRM fiasco which I avoided not getting the mandatory Kinect. I bought Xbox One just to play Xbox One exclusives until later on, MS stated they were gonna start supporting PC and if I had know that, I wouldn't bought Xbox One in the first place, and the only game enjoy and love was Rare Replay but that was it. So with that, I ended up giving my Xbox One to my daughter as she can use it more than me despite we both have gaming PCs. That said, I no longer need an Xbox console which is a somewhat shame as I fully enjoy Xbox 360.

It's because he realized PS5 will still be getting crushed by the Switch in sales after the shortages. He feels threatened.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

360 and PS3.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NathanDrakeSwag

@casey-wegner said:

Somebody who is damage controlling in all the Switch sales threads seems perturbed

🤣

@NathanDrakeSwag

Imagine tagging me into my own thread because it triggered you so badly lol.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Probably the Switch. Never gets used.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

xbox one. bought it after the ps4. was nice for backward compatibility but the exclusives were poor and the multiplats better on pc/ps4. quickly started gathering dust

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Casey-Wegner

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@casey-wegner said:

🤣

@NathanDrakeSwag

Imagine tagging me into my own thread because it triggered you so badly lol.

I was answering a question. People were asking why you were suddenly hating on Switch.

@davillain- said:

Dang, what's with the whole disliking Switch all of a sudden?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

I’ve had a hell of a lot of consoles during my many years of gaming but I don’t think I’d ever say that I regretted buying any of them. Perhaps the 3DO as that was pretty expensive at the time and I didn’t get hardly much use out of it. Still though I sold it so it was like, whatever. Never got the Virtual Boy or Atari Jaguar. Probably would have regretted those though to be honest. 😅

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

I don't really regret my console purchases because if I don't like em I just sell em!

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Not really. I have had tons of happiness with Playstation and Nintendo. Never bought anything from Xbox, nothing about them appeals to me.

Thinking of buying a Nintendo Switch just to play Shin Megami Tensei V, as it's labelled a Nintendo exclusive. But buying a Switch for one game doesn't justify owning the console. I need other Nintendo Switch games that will add value to owning the console.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@casey-wegner: I see a ban coming your way pretty soon alt, enjoy this place while you can.

neogeo2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 neogeo2k2
Member since 2019 • 145 Posts

PS5

I play a few games on it, but it doesn’t really impress me.

I did played and finished TLOU 2, GOT, DS, on it, and I bought R&C but got bored with it really quick, I guess it’s not my style of game since I just bought it on hype.

So it just sits there un touched.

I mostly just play my Switch and old Nintendo DS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@vfighter said:

@casey-wegner: I see a ban coming your way pretty soon alt, enjoy this place while you can.

^ see what I mean? A couple of Sony fans ganging up on a Nintendo fan, threatening him with a ban and accusing him of being an alt with no proof.

This shit of attacking the users instead of the argument, game or system has got to stop.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NathanDrakeSwag

@shadyacshuns said:
@vfighter said:

^ see what I mean? A couple of Sony fans ganging up on a Nintendo fan, threatening him with a ban and accusing him of being an alt with no proof.

This shit of attacking the users instead of the argument, game or system has got to stop.

Uh, did you miss this post?

@casey-wegner said:

🤣

@NathanDrakeSwag

Tell me how that is contributing to the thread in any meaningful way. What has to stop is this victim complex from sheep and lemmings any time someone criticizes your favorite plastic box. The forum is called System Wars.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

I don't really regret buying any of the consoles I owned over the years... obviously there were some I didn't play as much as others, but I enjoyed them all to an extent.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Not really. The OG XBox was not a very good addition to my gaming repertoire. But I got enough fun out of it to be worth it despite the hardware headaches adding to the sour taste.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pedro  Online

@davillain- said:

Dang, what's with the whole disliking Switch all of a sudden?

It is new for Sony fannies but I can't say it is new for me. 😎

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 NathanDrakeSwag

@xantufrog said:

Not really, the OG XBox was not a very good addition to my gaming repertoire. But I got enough fun out of it to be worth it despite the hardware headaches adding to the sour taste

The OG Xbox was actually my favorite Xbox console. XBL was mind blowing to me back then. It did stop reading discs after a few years though.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: yeah it was a great console on its own. My main problems were: Highly redundant with my PC (although less so than modern xbox of course) and the disc drive kept failing. Over and over. So frustrating that eventually I decided it wasn't worth it any more and traded it in. But like I said, got enough joy out of it (i must have played all teh halo :-p)

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Nope, not one. Even the bad ones are good, here's looking at you Ouya and Game.com.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

I don’t really regret any of them. But I still give my PS3 the side eye every time I walk by it. Its by far my least favorite and lucky to still have a spot in my house