Are PS4 Pro level graphics good enough for this gen?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

I play games like Final Fantasy 15 and Titanfall 2 and they look great. Not saying they wouldn't look better on better hardware but the difference would be nominal at best. Then you have games like Horizon and God of War which look phenomenal. What's your take on this SW? Are the graphics wars overblown?

Commiesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Commiesdie
Member since 2006 • 372 Posts

Tbh I think neither Scorpio or pro are good enough Scorpio is not out yet and ps pro is a rushed nightmare people have even been telling me some ps4 games look worse on pro

Avatar image for deactivated-587acdd100f19
deactivated-587acdd100f19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-587acdd100f19
Member since 2008 • 908 Posts

It is for me. I don't care how much someone is emotionally attached to pixels and game tech, these games on eighth gen consoles look fantastic.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#4 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I have a Pro, a 43" 4k, HDR tv and games like Gears 4 on my X1S "pop" more than the patched Uncharted 4.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

the scorpio will start a new gen and the pro will be lacking.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

They are but they need a much better CPU.

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Quicksilver128
Member since 2003 • 7075 Posts

@Commiesdie: Lol, nothing looks worse on Pro.

That is absolutely laughable.

And i would say the PS4 pro has some of the best looking games on the way.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@commander said:

Ugh, no it won't lol...

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 commander

@dynamitecop said:
@commander said:

Ugh, no it won't lol...

It's 5 times the power of the xboxone, that's enough to start a new gen. The xboxone isn't even 5 times the power of the 360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-587acdd100f19

@commander said:
@dynamitecop said:
@commander said:

Ugh, no it won't lol...

It's 5 times the power of the xboxone, that's enough to start a new gen. The xboxone isn't even 5 times the power of the 360

I thought everyone understood that a new generation isn't created by power alone? I guess not.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dynamitecop

@Ghost_Dub said:
@commander said:
@dynamitecop said:
@commander said:

Ugh, no it won't lol...

I thought everyone understood that a new generation isn't created by power alone? I guess not.

We do, people like him do not.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By commander

@dynamitecop said:
@Ghost_Dub said:

You're not only insulting my intelligence , you're insulting yourself, of course it's not power alone, there need to be games, but do you really think there won't be any games?

The sun may not come up either tomorrow but that's not really something I take into consideration because it's too far fetched to say the least.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-587acdd100f19

@commander said:
@dynamitecop said:
@Ghost_Dub said:

You're not only insulting my intelligence , you're insulting yourself, of course it's not power alone, there need to be games, but do you really think there won't be any games?

The sun may not come up either tomorrow but that's not really something I take into consideration because it's too far fetched to say the least.

lol it's not games, it's time. Chronology.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By commander

@Ghost_Dub said:
@commander said:
@dynamitecop said:
@Ghost_Dub said:

what does it have to do with time? or even chronology?

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dynamitecop

@commander said:
@dynamitecop said:
@Ghost_Dub said:

What on Earth is this drivel... Anyways, it's an extension of the Xbox One, that's been made very clear just like it has been for the PlayStation 4 Pro. Also, if power were a determining factor then the Wii U and the Switch would both be 7th generation systems.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-587acdd100f19

@commander said:
@Ghost_Dub said:
@commander said:
@dynamitecop said:
@Ghost_Dub said:

Game generations are determined, for the most part, by time. Things become too complicated when you have to figure for things like Sega CD, N64 expansion pack, PS4 Pro, etc. Therefore, the game generations are broken up and categorized by timelines instead of power.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 commander

@dynamitecop said:
@commander said:
@dynamitecop said:
@Ghost_Dub said:

What on Earth is this drivel... Anyways, it's an extension of the Xbox One, that's been made very clear just like it has been for the PlayStation 4 Pro. Also, if power were a determining factor then the Wii U and the Switch would both be 7th generation systems.

An extension to the xboxone? that's a massive extension then, since it's 5 times as strong. The xboxone is now already struggling with newer games at 900p, the scorpio can't come too soon. MS won't drop the xboxone of course, since they aren't stupid.

But the xboxone slim is now already dirt cheap. It's cost as much as xbox slim in 2011. The moment the xboxone cannot run games at an acceptable framerates anymore, there will be exclusives for the scorpio, that's just how the cookie crumbles, no matter how they package it for you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-587acdd100f19

Yes, Scorpio is a super powerful Xbox One. They'll probably end up calling it Xbox One Pro, and be part of the Xbox One family like Xbox One and Xbox One S.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dynamitecop

@commander said:
@dynamitecop said:
@commander said:
@dynamitecop said:
@Ghost_Dub said:

An extension to the xboxone? that's a massive extension then, since it's 5 times as strong. The xboxone is now already struggling with newer games at 900p, the scorpio can't come too soon. MS won't drop the xboxone of course, since they aren't stupid.

But the xboxone slim is now already dirt cheap. It's cost as much as xbox slim in 2011. The moment the xboxone cannot run games at an acceptable framerates anymore, there will be exclusives for the scorpio, that's just how the cookie crumbles, no matter how they package it for you.

Massive or not, it's an extension, also it's going to be in the neighborhood of 7.75x more capable than the Xbox One.

The bottom section of your post remains to be seen, also games can be scaled back completely nullifying your point.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

The power behind it is fine, so is the vanilla PS4's, but I feel this gen the graphics capability jump was wasted on chasing the resolution horizon.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Regular PS4 is good enough for me so...

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 commander

@Ghost_Dub said:
@commander said:
@Ghost_Dub said:
@commander said:

Game generations are determined, for the most part, by time. Things become too complicated when you have to figure for things like Sega CD, N64 expansion pack, PS4 Pro, etc. Therefore, the game generations are broken up and categorized by timelines instead of power.

the sega cd and n64 expansion pack are not a good comparison. That was an extension , not a new console, it didn't add much to the existing system, not compared to the xboxone and the scorpio anyway. The difference between the xboxone and the scorpio is even a bigger difference between the xboxone and xbox360.

There's always a cross gen period, where new games are released on both systems, even with the vast difference between the xbox original and the xbox360 era there were still games released on both platforms, king kong for instance.

The whole end of console generations is something that sony tries to do with the ps4pro, microsoft doesn't want to piss off their xboxone buyers and kinda says the same, but the scorpio is a full generational leap and the games will simply follow. It has always been like that.

It won't be long before sony comes with a ps5 , mind my words, they will simply have no choice and in that regard the scorpio may have the time advantage, since people will be ready for a new gen next year, or the year after that, and if sony comes with a ps5 in 2018 or later, the damage will already been done. That is of course, if there are games on the scorpio.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By commander

@dynamitecop said:
@commander said:
@dynamitecop said:
@commander said:

Massive or not, it's an extension, also it's going to be in the neighborhood of 7.75x more capable than the Xbox One.

The bottom section of your post remains to be seen, also games can be scaled back completely nullifying your point.

An extension is something like the sega 32x, this is a completely new console, with full backwards compatiblity.

You will have to explain to me how you get to that number of 7.75. 6tflops vs 1.3 is not 7-8 ish in my book.

Games can be scaled back yes and that's how cross gen games always have been released on 2 platforms from different generations. I can't see any difference with other generations besides some clever pr and the promise to port games to the previous system for a longer period of time.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dynamitecop

@commander said:
@dynamitecop said:
@commander said:
@dynamitecop said:

An extension is something like the sega 32x, this is a completely new console, with full backwards compatiblity.

You will have to explain to me how you get to that number of 7.75. 6tflops vs 1.3 is not 7-8 ish in my book.

Games can be scaled back yes and that's how cross gen games always have been released on 2 platforms from different generations. I can't see any difference with other generations besides some clever pr and the promise to port games to the previous system.

No, that is an expansion, this is an extension, synonymous words with completely different implications.

Simple, you're focusing only on the GPU for god only knows what reason, there's the CPU, RAM capacity, memory bandwidth etc. The system doesn't multiply in capability by the GPU alone, every facet of the hardware needs to be accounted for. The Xbox One for example in regards to the Xbox 360 possesses 10x the system capability.

In terms of scaled back games, Scorpio and the Xbox One will be working with near identical hardware technology in terms of feature sets. That is what kills cross generational game coding and the motivation to continue it, the complete rewriting of code to make it work on an older system because the feature sets of the hardware are vastly different, that is not the case here..

Commiesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Commiesdie
Member since 2006 • 372 Posts

@commander:

I hate to ask this but when did ps4 have that big of a power advance Over xb1 aside from res I don't see

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By commander

@dynamitecop said:
@commander said:
@dynamitecop said:

Games can be scaled back yes and that's how cross gen games always have been released on 2 platforms from different generations. I can't see any difference with other generations besides some clever pr and the promise to port games to the previous system.

No, that is an expansion, this is an extension, synonymous words with completely different implications.

Simple, you're focusing only on the GPU for god only knows what reason, there's the CPU, RAM capacity, memory bandwidth etc. The system doesn't multiply in capability by the GPU alone, every facet of the hardware needs to be accounted for. The Xbox One for example in regards to the Xbox 360 possesses 10x the system capability.

In terms of scaled back games, Scorpio and the Xbox One will be working with near identical hardware technology in terms of feature sets. That is what kills cross generational game coding and the motivation to continue it, the complete rewriting of code to make it work on an older system because the feature sets of the hardware are vastly different, that is not the case here..

let's not make this a discussion of semantics, extension or expansion, your point is that it won't trigger a new gen because it isn't a new console, according to you it's an 'extension of the xboxone'

Which is odd, since the power difference is so big that the xboxone has nothing to do with this anymore. It's not even called the xboxone pro or something, it's called the scorpio.

The gpu has become the most important aspect of the system besides it's not like the other components won't be upgraded for a new generation as well. Did you know that this generation wasn't meant to have 8 gb standard. The xboxone had 8 gb because it had to better at multitasking since it was more of a multimedia system. The ps4 was planned to have 4gb but because the prices of gddr5 suddenly dropped so much it got 8gb.

The ps2 and xbox original have 64mb ram, the ps3 and x360 have 512 ram. So there was a leap of about 9-10 times. But the xboxone and ps4 have 16 times the amount of ram of the x360 and ps3, while these are the weakest systems of their generations relatively speaking and the x360 and ps3 the strongest. So it's only normal the leap in amount of ram won't be that big this time around since it won't be needed (it's speculated the scorpio will have 12gb of ram) .

It's the same with the cpu, the cpu has never been much of a problem for the xboxone this generation, it was more of problem for the ps4, since it was lower clocked and it needed to feed a stronger gpu. It has already been clearly stated the scorpio will have a premium price, it's highly likely that this will be partially because of a stronger cpu. The 6k gpu in the scorpio would not explain a 500$ price tag. Then it would price/performance wise be more expensive than the pro.

They may not have to port the game to the previous system like they used to but that doesn't change the fact that some games will simply not run very well on the older systems. It's for the same reason games like the witcher 3 and mankind divided murder older cards. Scalability can only go so far and they will of course try to span it as long as possible since it will not only sell those games on older systems, they also made a promise that 'no one would be left behind'.

But everybody knows, and this has already been mentioned by MS, that at a certain time, the xboxone will be left behind. Knowing the industry, this could be a bit longer than the normal cross generation window, but you can expect the first scorpio exclusives in 2019, If I'm not mistaken the first xboxone multiplat that wasn't on the x360 was ac unity and that was 1 year after the release of the x1. Let's not forget VR, if that takes off, it will be without the xbox one.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#27  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

The problem with consoles isn't the level of graphics that they can render, but the performance of those graphics. The hardware is too weak to render games at acceptable frame rates while maintaining that graphic fidelity. That is why we end up with games running at a shit 30fps or lower. So, the graphics are good enough, but the performance is not.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I think the graphical fidelity we have is great right now... I just want new games, new worlds to explore. More open world western RPG's please. I an craving a new game to suck me in for 100's of hours.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

PS4 Pro will be fine since vanilla PS4 and XB1 will be the target development platforms for the foreseeable future.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

@commander said:
@dynamitecop said:
@commander said:

Ugh, no it won't lol...

you cant even do simple math. why should anyone listen to you?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Absolutely not.

WallofTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34 WallofTruth
Member since 2013 • 3471 Posts

@commander: Um no. They're not gonna call it the Scorpio, that's just a development name, the PS4 Pro was called "Neo" during development, so that's a moot point.

You're also not taking into account that the old consoles didn't have shared RAM, now it's 8GB that's used as system memory and video memory.

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

@RyviusARC said:

This is a scam. I've seen these in the past. One was for a 512GB SSD for 25USD.

The seller can obtain your information through this.

Don't waste your time on these.

Ebay will eventually be notified and will close the seller's account and you will have to wait a few days to a week to get refunded the money.

I am 100% certain on this.

you have the wrong thread bud lmao

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

For a 9th gen console, the PS Pro is under powered. That said, I find it to be excellent and it is the most powerful console in the world.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@dynamitecop said:

if power were a determining factor then the Wii U and the Switch would both be 7th generation systems.

I consider them so. Both of them trumpet X360 ports as a big deal.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Actually for me the regular PS 4 was good enough lol

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#39 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Not just Pro, but also the original PS4 and Xbox One. These consoles already proved to be capable of fantastic graphics and performance. Last gen games look...well...one gen old in comparison.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#40 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@makemefamous07 said:

The Pro is just a PS4 2013. Same console only that its uglier Sandwich & higher price tag lol. Both of them can only do 1080p & only 30fps Ouch! So no big difference. So if you have a PS4 2013 then you have a PS4 Pro already. Sometimes PS4 Pro can do 4k but only in sports games & cheapo little games like that. Pro runs games WORSE then the PS4 2013 so uh....yeah stick with PS4 2013. You save ALOT of money which is wat everyone did since No One!! bought the Pro at $450 (with tax) lol

You need to wash the shit out of you mouth, foul fucking smell. Quite a few 60 FPS game on pro, and more to come. FF 15 is getting a 60 FPS patch soon.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

@Random_Matt: Someone must have hit a nerve lol. Don't let Fanboys ruffle your feathers so bad.

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

Like I stated in early 2013, The PS4 and Xbox One (without Kinect) should have launched at $500 and had 3TF's of performance. All the posters who disagreed were obviously wrong and don't try and tell me that MS and Sony couldn't have done this because Phil Spencer already came out and said that MS had a chipset with 3TF's performance but MS decided to include Kinect (thanks Don) so they went with the 1.2TF + Kinect chipset. Both consoles would be down to $300 right now and that would have got us thru until 2019 without needing mid-gen refreshes with the added advantage of all games being 1080P/60 with some needing variable resolution to maintain the 60FPS. The Slim models would have given us UHD BluRay and 4K Upscaling with HDR in games.

Now what would have been cheaper?

1) A gen starting at $400 with 1.8TF dev base for performance

OR

2) A gen starting at $500 with a 3TF dev base and no need for mid-gen refreshes?

There are people who already traded in their old PS4's for the Pro so they spent around $700 in HW. The need for mid-gen refreshes is proof that $400 console launches just don't work anymore. $500 should be the Minimum price with the price dropping to $400 after a year and $300 after 2 years.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#43 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@crashnburn281 said:

@Random_Matt: Someone must have hit a nerve lol. Don't let Fanboys ruffle your feathers so bad.

Was actually just having a laugh, although my point still stands.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By commander

@walloftruth said:

@commander: Um no. They're not gonna call it the Scorpio, that's just a development name, the PS4 Pro was called "Neo" during development, so that's a moot point.

You're also not taking into account that the old consoles didn't have shared RAM, now it's 8GB that's used as system memory and video memory.

I'll doubt they'll call it the xbox one pro, besides, during development of the ps4 pro it was also called the ps4k, so it was already from the beginning seen as some sort of upgrade, not a new console. The scorpio may have had a bit of similar pr, the power difference cannot be overlooked.

the xbox original and the x360 already had shared memory. But just like the name, it doesn't matter that much. What matters is 5 times the tflops (and there will be an increase in ram to cater the higher resolution textures)

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#45  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

@EG101: Dude, PS4 and X1 GPUs were already 10 times faster than last gen ones, lets not forget 16x more RAM available, etc...

PS4 and X1 (without kinect) were powerful enough and very balanced consoles. Easily one generation ahead PS3 and 360, as many games already prove.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#46  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Not care about graphics as long as gameplay is fun.

Playstation is more reliant on hot graphics than pc now.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

Blah blah blah. PS4 Pro is the most powerful console in the world and Lemmings will just have to deal with it. As for "teh Scorpio" literally nobody gives a **** about it except for Lemmings. Devs aren't going to make games exclusively for it and Microsoft has no first party. So all it will get will be PS4 ports for 3X the price. It's just gonna get dominated like how the original oh so powerful Xbox got dominated by PS2. Face it Lemmings, the Xbox brand is a joke and so are you.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#48 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@Pray_to_me: nobody except PS fans give a shit about the PS Pro so what is your point?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#49  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

Blah blah blah. PS4 Pro is the most powerful console in the world and Lemmings will just have to deal with it. As for "teh Scorpio" literally nobody gives a **** about it except for Lemmings. Devs aren't going to make games exclusively for it and Microsoft has no first party. So all it will get will be PS4 ports for 3X the price. It's just gonna get dominated like how the original oh so powerful Xbox got dominated by PS2. Face it Lemmings, the Xbox brand is a joke and so are you.

Agree,

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

@PAL360:

Disagree about PS4 and XB1 being powerful enough.

Xbox One at 1.32TF's vs Xbox 360 at .260 TF's that's only 5X more powerful after waiting 8 Years. Should have been 3 TF's at $500 especially after an 8 year gen. In 8 years with a multiplier of 1.5 each year there is no reason they couldn't get to 3TF's with 7 years of Development and Phil admitted they had working HW at around 3TF's.

That's why so many games run less than 30FPS and less than 1080P. At 3TF's 1080 60FPS or at least solid 30FPS without all the drops into the 20's could have been the norm. They were definitely underpowered for consoles released in 2013 especially in Xbox One's case. In 2013 1080P TV's were already about to get phased out by 4K TV's and not aiming for a 1080P frame buffer was beyond stupid in MS's case. Hopefully this has taught MS a huge lesson. Don't cheap out on the GPU and aim for a Frame Buffer that is currently being used on TV's (Scorpio aiming for 4K is a good sign). People don't spend thousands of dollars on their TV's so that they can be under utilized.