Are PC graphics really that superior to the HD consoles?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#701 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

Muramasa, Okami, SMG, Darksiders anyone? Darksiders is the reason I'm pursueing a career in Game Art and Animation.

ChubbyGuy40

good for you:) Darksiders is a pretty good looking game imo.. and was alot better than that crappy Dante's inferno :P

Bleh there I go typing stuff wrong. I didn't mean to put Okami but rather Warcraft. I do that a lot. I recently looked over a book with the designs of KZ2's characters in it. The characters obviously were not nearly as detailed as the artist wanted, but that was due to limitations.

oh so your a guy that like's kz's art? that game has amazing artistical prowess and great tech backing it. I hate it when people say brownzone 2 :evil:

UnrealDelusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#702 UnrealDelusion
Member since 2010 • 262 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

good for you:) Darksiders is a pretty good looking game imo.. and was alot better than that crappy Dante's inferno :P

theuncharted34

Bleh there I go typing stuff wrong. I didn't mean to put Okami but rather Warcraft. I do that a lot. I recently looked over a book with the designs of KZ2's characters in it. The characters obviously were not nearly as detailed as the artist wanted, but that was due to limitations.

oh so your a guy that like's kz's art? that game has amazing artistical prowess and great tech backing it. I hate it when people say brownzone 2 :evil:

:lol: KZ2 looks nice for console standards. If Guerilla made that game for PC it would have looked ALOT better.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#703 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

theuncharted34

I LOVE the art style. My family's background in animation and drawing is what made me choose an art degree (my grandfather was hired at Disney. Sadly he got drafted to Vietnam before he could start.)

It's rare for me to find stuff I hate or really just don't like. Halo I find has boring artwork and worse execution. Games like CoD are lifeless and don't really capture any emotion what-so-ever.

EDIT: I do believe though that with Guerilla's talent, it could've been/looked so much better on PC. For consoles KZ3 will probably be the best looking game there is, but that doesn't mean that there isn't flaws. I see flaws in a lot of things pretty easily with that game, but happens in a lot of games and that doesn't stop them from being good. I just think KZ could've been so much more on PC.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#704 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

if we are going by looks, i'd say wind waker.

theuncharted34

The whole argument here is about technical prowess, not artistic design.

he should have specified technical prowess. Instead he said "best looking game" and art always beats tech.

I was going to add RE4 NGC as looking good maybe in an artistic sense (not my artistic sense* though). But, a far more important phone call than posting here came up. He He.

*My artistic sense definitely demands more color as in the Wii games we have.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#705 Hakkai007
Member since 2005 • 4905 Posts

Ouch.

As far as previous-gen console games look, RE4 for the GC it isn't too bad. In fact, I'm thinking of hooking my kid's NGC back up. I know we have NGC RE4 (or was that the Remake?) lying around somewhere. But as far as looks? Not even looking at the low resolution...... RE4 is one of those games with a bland color palette many here grumbled about. In fact, it makes all the KZ games look like a rainbow.:lol:

Honestly, I don't think there's a lot of previous-gen games that can hustle around current-gen games except perhaps some older PC games which at least have AA and resolution to help them out.

jun_aka_pekto

Resident Evil 4 on the PC looks ok when modded.

I did a little recording vid of it but youtube always makes the quality crappy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OqixGNTw7c

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#706 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"]

While you're at it look up high performance computing. Imagine tapping into that type of processing power no matter where you are or what device you're using.

You guys are missing the big picture totally.

Rikusaki

Couldn't agree more. Imagine what developers could do without any hardware limitations. That's what excites me the most. Creativity without boundaries.

Only good thing about Onlive is the ability to play crysis on your iphone, won't affect pc gaming as modding is at the heart of it. Not possible with onlive
Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#707 Hakkai007

The best looking game last gen was Doom 3 on the PC.UnrealDelusion

I still have some very old screenshots of me playing Doom3.

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#708 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

^^ get that crap 7 on metacritic version of RE4 outta here. How dare you soil RE4 :evil: it's still not as bad as the iphone versions though :(

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#709 Hakkai007

^^ get that crap 7 on metacritic version of RE4 outta here. How dare you soil RE4 :evil: it's still not as bad as the iphone versions though :(

theuncharted34

RE4 on the PC was fixed.

They added support for a gamepad and mouse.

They upgraded the graphics way beyond the Gamecube too.

So it's better.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#710 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
Right now, PC graphics are a lot better than console graphics. Also, graphics will only near their peak when they become photo-realistic and we have a long way to go yet.
SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#711 SPBoss

Right now, PC graphics are a lot better than console graphics. Also, graphics will only near their peak when they become photo-realistic and we have a long way to go yet.fabz_95

Exactly, and then theres the fact of getting extremely accurate physics, most explosions/crashes/etc are pre-rendered. These things in real time at 1080p would be EPIC :P

Heres why graphics are superior

First image is NOT modded! The rest are tod and enb mods

GTA IV on the pc has absolutely NO AA at all and it still looks miles better than console versions, furthermore the pc version was a poorly optimised port but it still looks great, I think that says it all

Avatar image for deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#712 deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
Member since 2008 • 2051 Posts

what mod is that

hypoty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#713 hypoty
Member since 2009 • 2825 Posts

Mods really do make a huge difference in regards to the visuals of a game.

Hell, mods have turned Morrowind from this:

To this:

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#714 SPBoss

what mod is that

Robbazking

Heres the link to the GS forum discussing my gta mods

LINK

Avatar image for deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#715 deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
Member since 2008 • 2051 Posts

[QUOTE="Robbazking"]

what mod is that

SPBoss

Heres the link to the GS forum discussing my gta mods

LINK

Cheers!
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#716 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

The whole argument here is about technical prowess, not artistic design.

ChubbyGuy40

he should have specified technical prowess. Instead he said "best looking game" and art always beats tech.

No it does not. It's the users preference which is more appealing. You also can't pull off the proper art without the right tech.

Not necessarily. Some art styles (especially minimalist styles like cel-shaded cartoonesque) don't require a lot of resources to do.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#717 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

Muramasa, Okami, SMG, Darksiders anyone? Darksiders is the reason I'm pursueing a career in Game Art and Animation.

ChubbyGuy40

That's the general rule with game graphics. During development of FF13, the people at Square Enix noted that, even with the capabilities they had, no console or computer available to the average end user would be able to handle the character models they used for rendering their video clips. They were at least an order of magnitude more complex than the in-game models (millions vs. thousands of polygons each).

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#718 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="UnrealDelusion"]The best looking game last gen was Doom 3 on the PC.Hakkai007

I still have some very old screenshots of me playing Doom3.

I recently had the opportunity to play both it and Resurrection of Evil via Steam. I will admit that the games still looked rather technically impressive a number of years after it first came out (that's how much id pushed the envelope back then). And what limitations I saw I recognized were a product of the technical limitations of PC platforms in the mid-aughties.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#719 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Yes. They are. There is no debate to be had here. The PC can run games at 1080p+, at 60+ fps, with tons of technology that isn't even possible on consoles (anisotropic filtering comes to mind immediately).

Hell, a good PC can emulate Wii games and upscale them to HD resolutions. That says something about the capability of its hardware.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#720 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
What dont you show me an original CRYSIS on PC and on PS3 as well...... You cant , simply because original Crysis CANT be played by console even on minimum HD settings because of memory and GPU low power. Now what you did? You just showed a game that made for consoles , CRYSIS 2 , and will port with some differences on PC... So , better refer to CRYSIS and not CRYSIS 2 and beleive me... 1920x1200 resolutions is one of a hell difference in resolution ( its ABOVE TRue HD 1080p ) Max settings , aka graphics peak , is another difference you cant simply pass by. 60 fps + to most games vs 30FPS to most console games , maybe you cant say it just by looking at it , but 60frames is WAY more smooth animations and action. Now let it be... Theres nothing to compare really.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#721 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

theuncharted34

Ironically, it is clearly the best version available. The only reason it scored so poorly is because PC standards are so high. Which tells you something about how "good" RE4 actually is, if its definitive version can only score 70% on PC.

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#722 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
PC will always be above consoles. PC's can be upgraded with the latest hardware.