Are PC graphics really that superior to the HD consoles?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wii4Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Wii4Fun
Member since 2008 • 1472 Posts

Graphics on the HD consoles look stunning. I'm not hardware buff, but it seems like they are close to the peak of where graphics can go. I mean, graphics have to reach a plateau at some point right?

Even with my ignorance of hardware, i know that PC hardware is superior to consoles' yet still, the graphics seem almost equal to me.

m

PC version (Crysis 2)

n

PS3 version (Crysis 2)

This console gen was very focused on graphics because of how big the graphical jump of consoles were.

But are graphics near to their peak?

If so, will future gens (maybe even next gen) be less focused on graphics?

Do you think we from now on graphics will only progress slightly?

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

Yes. PC graphics really are. Especially with tesselation.

And no, graphics are not even close to peaking. Not even in the same ballpark yet.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

They actually are that much more superior. It's not even really debatable

kate_jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kate_jones
Member since 2007 • 3221 Posts

pc will be running the games in higher resolution, with way faster framerate, no jaggies and higher res textures for a start.

im satisfied with my consoles graphics, but when you play the same game on a nice pc you can really see how much better they are, mass effect 1 is a great example, so much better on pc

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Isn't that literally THE SAME image? Websites like gamespot often do that on multi-plats you know. Use the same images across all platforms.Actually EA probably wants you to think the consoles look that good too, so they will probably try to use the PC version running on max in all their marketing materials (including screenshots). There will definitely be differences between consoles and PC. It's usually not "huge" as some make it out as it's still going to be the same game, but the HD console are typically limited to having the games 720P "native", have worse textures than what is available on PC, and sometimes have issues like screen tearing and framerate problems. It's the last two that are most annoying to me because there is no way for a user to "tweak" performance out of a console. It's up to the developers to optimize it.

gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gaming25
Member since 2010 • 6181 Posts
TC, you have asked the wrong question to SW. 99 percent of people out of SW would agree with you. Before SW, I didnt even know or care to know about what "jaggies" or "framerate" meant (and I still dont).
AmazingGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AmazingGaming
Member since 2010 • 350 Posts
There are big differences. I think console games can compete when the the games are very linear tho.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Those pictures...do nothing. Not in-game shots and we don't know which platform they're from. Also, the next step in graphics is ray-tracing so we are not done yet.

gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gaming25

BPoole96
No it isnt. Thats the myth about PC. If it was, then there would be more than Crysis being talked about from PC gamers to debate the consoles.
Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts
[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

gaming25
No it isnt. Thats the myth about PC. If it was, then there would be more than Crysis being talked about from PC gamers to debate the consoles.

Crysis, crysis warhead, arma 2, metro 2033, modded stalker the list goes on.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

gaming25

Arma 2, The Witcher 2, Metro 2033, Mafia 2, Cryostasis....there's plenty. We also get the better looking multiplats.

gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gaming25
[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="gaming25"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]

"The list goes on" No it doesnt. Not only that, but my point was that Crysis is the only "clear" thing that is over consoles that PC gamers claim.
TheSterls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheSterls
Member since 2009 • 3117 Posts

[QUOTE="gaming25"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]

Person0

Arma 2 and and stalker are highly overrated .. not to mention stalker looks like crap without mods and that list is increadabliy small. The leap between pc visuals and console visuals is not near as big as people want to make it out to be. The hardware is more powerful but were not ready to release a next console as the average person wouldnt see a reason to buy one yet with todays current technology. I get a kick when people start talking about AA , Resolution and framerates . The things you will probably see on the PS4 probably wouldnt run at 20 fps on a high end single gpu of today.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

You just post the same blueshot twice.

xOMGITSJASONx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xOMGITSJASONx
Member since 2009 • 2634 Posts

Person0

Out of those only Crysis/Warhead is a big jump. I was just playing STALKER CoP maxed out and it looked worse compared to Uncharted 2 and God of War 3. All these guys saying Arma 2 are ctazy. i didn't think it was all that. Still gotta play Metro on PC though i can't comment on that game.

richsena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 richsena
Member since 2007 • 435 Posts

To me, the visual differences between consoles and PC are nearly indecernible. When you are looking at screenshots, perhaps you can nit pickhere and there but when you're actually playing the game, it isn't a huge difference.

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

Crysis is all you need to stifle in any "consoles and pcs are equal" arguments. Talking about other games would be overkill.
gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gaming25

ChubbyGuy40

Arma 2, The Witcher 2, Metro 2033, Mafia 2, Cryostasis....there's plenty. We also get the better looking multiplats.

I think the question is if the difference is "drastic" which it isnt. All of these are HD games, point blank.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="gaming25"] No it isnt. Thats the myth about PC. If it was, then there would be more than Crysis being talked about from PC gamers to debate the consoles.xOMGITSJASONx

Out of those only Crysis/Warhead is a big jump. I was just playing STALKER CoP maxed out and it looked like worse compared to Uncharted 2 and God of War 3. All these guys saying Arma 2 are ctazy. i didn't think it was all that. Still gotta play Metro on PC though i can't comment on that game.

I said modded stalker. Also ARMA 2 has amazing graphics with an amazing scale. Hundreds of people fighting at the same time is amazing. Napoleon and shogun total war 2 are also amazing looking games.
gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gaming25

Silverbond

Crysis is all you need to stifle in any "consoles and pcs are equal" arguments. Talking about other games would be overkill.

Actually it doesnt "stifle" anything since many people still compare it to other games.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Well, i put it this way, they are better but not as good as people make them to be. The truth is that those console games ported to pc are designed to work well on consoles and they spend alot of money to do it. The pc version is always a meh port that does not do the pc version justice...and i use the word ALWAYS because, lets be serious, you cant have hardware that are years now superior to the console hardware and not obliterate the console game and run it on maximum no matter what. So there are 2 explanations, either the pc hardware are not as powerfull as they claim to be in comparison to consoles or thet just dont port them well. Anyway in the end, it depends on the game. Saits row 2 looks and runs like crap while batman AA looks amazing and perfoms amazing. Now regarding pc exclusives and their graphics? I would say that only crytek made a game that truly uses pc hardware efficiently. Everyone else? Meh not so much, bad optimization. Point is not everyone can do amazing graphics. The pc offers more "juice" but if someone is a console game developer, dont expect much. Most games nowadays are console focused thus pc versions are heavilly impacted by console limitations. But there is also the fact that not everyone is a high end dev studio that knows how to do their job right. If you take a look in the past with games like hl2 and doom 3 and far cry and fear and how superior they look in comparison with console games at their time you will see how high the diffirence is. Latelly? Its only crysis and arma 2 which suprsingly they still look better than everything else currently on consoles. Oh well you can add the pc version of metro 2033 too.
linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts
[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

gaming25

there are games that are brought up for the graphical levels that are on the pc, metro 2033, one of the stalker games, ive seen people bring up mirrors edge, just cause 2, there are a lot of games that really look impressive on the pc, but when you can just end a conversation by saying "crysis" then most people will do just that, some people will argue that since games like metro and just cause 2 are on consoles that the differences are minimal but if you actually see them then youd probably disagree
xOMGITSJASONx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 xOMGITSJASONx
Member since 2009 • 2634 Posts

[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="gaming25"] No it isnt. Thats the myth about PC. If it was, then there would be more than Crysis being talked about from PC gamers to debate the consoles.TheSterls

Arma 2 and and stalker are highly overrated .. not to mention stalker looks like crap without mods and that list is increadabliy small. The leap between pc visuals and console visuals is not near as big as people want to make it out to be. The hardware is more powerful but were not ready to release a next console as the average person wouldnt see a reason to buy one yet with todays current technology. I get a kick when people start talking about AA , Resolution and framerates . The things you will probably see on the PS4 probably wouldnt run at 20 fps on a high end single gpu of today.

I agree, hermits overrate PC graphics on system wars.. Only real big hitter was/is Crysis rather they like it or not. I played all the other PC games so they can't lie to me lol. Is it me or does STALKER CoP look WORSE than CS?

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

gaming25

Every multiplat looks significantly better on PC and games like Metro 2033, Just Cause 2, Mirror's Edge, Medal of Honor as well as many others are miles better than their console counterparts

Avatar image for Ikuto_Tsukiyomi
Ikuto_Tsukiyomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ikuto_Tsukiyomi
Member since 2010 • 822 Posts

[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="gaming25"] No it isnt. Thats the myth about PC. If it was, then there would be more than Crysis being talked about from PC gamers to debate the consoles.TheSterls

You've played those games to make a opinion about them right?

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

TC, you used the same exact screenshot for your post. Pixel for pixel.

And yes it makes a huge difference.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ChubbyGuy40

Arma 2 and metor and stalker are highly overrated .. and that list is increadabliy small. The leap between pc visuals and console visuals is not near as big as people want to make it out to be. The hardware is more powerful but were not ready to release a next console as the average person wouldnt see a reason to buy one yet with todays current technology. I get a kick when people start talking about AA , Resolution and framerates . The things you will probably see on the PS4 probably wouldnt run at 20 fps on a high end single gpu of today.

I won't go image linking to be nice to people, I'll just post the real link to the pictures.

http://exophase.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Metro2033-2010-03-16-19-41-47-402.jpg

http://exophase.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Metro2033-2010-03-16-15-10-03-422.jpg

You don't get this on consoles.

gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gaming25
[QUOTE="linkin_guy109"][QUOTE="gaming25"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]

there are games that are brought up for the graphical levels that are on the pc, metro 2033, one of the stalker games, ive seen people bring up mirrors edge, just cause 2, there are a lot of games that really look impressive on the pc, but when you can just end a conversation by saying "crysis" then most people will do just that, some people will argue that since games like metro and just cause 2 are on consoles that the differences are minimal but if you actually see them then youd probably disagree

I have, and I do disagree. The difference isnt real drastic.
gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gaming25
[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="TheSterls"]

Crysis, crysis warhead, arma 2, metro 2033, modded stalker the list goes on.Person0

Arma 2 and metor and stalker are highly overrated .. and that list is increadabliy small. The leap between pc visuals and console visuals is not near as big as people want to make it out to be. The hardware is more powerful but were not ready to release a next console as the average person wouldnt see a reason to buy one yet with todays current technology. I get a kick when people start talking about AA , Resolution and framerates . The things you will probably see on the PS4 probably wouldnt run at 20 fps on a high end single gpu of today.

I won't go image linking to be nice to people, I'll just post the real link to the pictures.

http://exophase.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Metro2033-2010-03-16-19-41-47-402.jpg

http://exophase.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Metro2033-2010-03-16-15-10-03-422.jpg

The debate of which graphics look better isnt the point of this thread.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Show me this on consoles.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="TheSterls"]

gaming25

Is it about what technologies are superior? PC. As I said, ray-tracing is the next step. PC is moving onto DirectX 11 also.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="Person0"]

[QUOTE="TheSterls"]

gaming25

Is that a joke, those look terrible.

Show us something on consoles that looks better then please.

AmazingGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AmazingGaming
Member since 2010 • 350 Posts

[QUOTE="gaming25"][QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

ChubbyGuy40

Is it about what technologies are superior? PC. As I said, ray-tracing is the next step. PC is moving onto DirectX 11 also.

Why? DirectX 10 was barely used.
gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gaming25
[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="gaming25"][QUOTE="Person0"] Show me this on consoles.

Is that a joke, those look terrible.

Umm, did you see those pics? The resolution on them were terrible,
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#37 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

[QUOTE="Person0"]

[QUOTE="TheSterls"]

gaming25

Is that a joke, those dont look that impressive.

Erm.....ok then.

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mystic-G

[QUOTE="Person0"]

[QUOTE="TheSterls"]

gaming25

Is that a joke, those dont look that impressive.

You must never be impressed by any console games then.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="gaming25"] Is that a joke, those look terrible.gaming25

Umm, did you see those pics? The resolution on them were terrible,

Did you see my Metro 2033 pictures? Do you understand why I didn't link them straight to the forum? The pictures are massive.

stiggy321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 stiggy321
Member since 2009 • 609 Posts

ChubbyGuy40

3 of those games are multiplats. You pay twice as much for a better resolution... that's all. You pay 4 times as much for the best resolution and 90 fps.
hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

All it takes is one game to prove that PC graphics are superior to console graphics, but there are several.

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mystic-G

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="gaming25"] No it isnt. Thats the myth about PC. If it was, then there would be more than Crysis being talked about from PC gamers to debate the consoles.stiggy321

3 of those games are multiplats. You pay twice as much for a better resolution... that's all. You pay 4 times as much for the best resolution and 90 fps.

No... you pay twice as much to have a gaming platform and a computer in one. Isn't that what console gamers spend anyway, only difference is it's seperate.

Avatar image for Ikuto_Tsukiyomi
Ikuto_Tsukiyomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ikuto_Tsukiyomi
Member since 2010 • 822 Posts

You still haven't told me what game this is. It looks stunning!

Wii4Fun

I think Its Arma2, but either way it looks very nice.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#46 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="gaming25"] No it isnt. Thats the myth about PC. If it was, then there would be more than Crysis being talked about from PC gamers to debate the consoles.stiggy321

Three? I only see Metro 2033 and Mafia 2.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

[QUOTE="Wii4Fun"]

You still haven't told me what game this is. It looks stunning!

Ikuto_Tsukiyomi

I think Its Arma2, but either way it looks very nice.

yeah, Arma 2 and operation arrowhead.
15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

Let me put it in simple terms:

No.

Avatar image for rpgs_shall_rule
rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 rpgs_shall_rule
Member since 2006 • 1943 Posts

ChubbyGuy40

O.o What's with the really wierd blurring?

Also, on topic: PC graphics look amazing compared to the consoles...