Anyone nervous to buy a mid gen console(XboxX/PSpro) because they might have to buy a new one in 2/3 years.

• 81 results
Tealpocalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51 Tealpocalypse
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

My non Pro PS4 looks just fine on my 4K TV, i'll wait until the PlayStation 5 drops.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#52 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

I think the new gen is coming later rather than sooner.

I mean why else are they doing these mid gen upgrades ?

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

@Mercenary848: If MS is really doing what they say they are and gens are gone. I would assume we have 3 years or less of viable support for X1S until they start phasing it out and saying we just can't get games down to those specs anymore. X1X is now the lowest common denominator and cheapest option and next year we will be releasing "whatever" that continues to play all your games uses all your accessories.

That's the route MS is implying they are taking, I could be way off base but that's my educated guess.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

@nethernova said:
@Mercenary848 said:

Most people wait one year to buy a console.

Sounds like nonsense you just made up. Source? And even if it's true it doesn't change the math in the slightest. Buy a console at launch and buy the next console at launch 3 years later = 3 years. Buy a console 1 year after its launch and the next console one year after its launch, too = 3 years.

I misspoke, I should have said most smart people wait at least a year. It is never a good idea to buy a system at launch; launch xbox 360s getting rrod, launch PS3s being 600$ and then the price getting dropped, launch wiiu and no good games come out within the first two years. Let me teach you something about life junior, just because you have money doesn't always mean you should spend it. The market is too volatile and never put it past these companies to leave you high and dry after they get your money.

Think of it this way, you buy that launch console for 500$. First year you might get one or two good games, and then its just ports of games that came out last gen. Second year the ball starts rolling and the good games are finally getting announced, your purchase is justified. Year three happens you are finally getting a bang for your buck and the devs finally have the hardware down, so you are anticipating those big blockbuster games.....oh wait nvm new console is announced and its back to janky launch titles and ports of games you just bought last year.

Do not be a sheep, do not take what is given to you, you are the consumer and you should be discerning with how you spend your money. The only reason the console market has fallen this far is because people like you just roll over and take it.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:

I know this is kind of a moot point because the industry is shifting, and technology becomes obsolete faster.

I just am used to longer console cycles but with the way things have switched(get it), I don't want to buy one of these next year and then the next E3 it gets announced another console is being released.

2-3? I'm thinking 1-2yrs, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a next-gen console reveal at next years E3. So Sony and MS can kiss my a$$ with their B.S mid-cycle console upgrades.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Mercenary848

@xxyetixx said:

@Mercenary848: If MS is really doing what they say they are and gens are gone. I would assume we have 3 years or less of viable support for X1S until they start phasing it out and saying we just can't get games down to those specs anymore. X1X is now the lowest common denominator and cheapest option and next year we will be releasing "whatever" that continues to play all your games uses all your accessories.

That's the route MS is implying they are taking, I could be way off base but that's my educated guess.

I can totally understand why you feel that way. Microsofts business model and implementation of everything has been less then transparent this gen and I honestly can not make heads or tails of what they are doing. I refuse to get hyped for whatever bloated service they shill out, until I have more concrete information. I could just as easily invest in a nice gaming desktop then waste time and money on the next "big thing" the xbox hype machine turns into.

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57 SinjinSmythe
Member since 2008 • 1049 Posts

The same cows that used to claim they would never pay $50 a year for online are the poor bastards that would have a problem with it.

Bring me my One X now!

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Mercenary848

@MarcRecon said:
@Mercenary848 said:

I know this is kind of a moot point because the industry is shifting, and technology becomes obsolete faster.

I just am used to longer console cycles but with the way things have switched(get it), I don't want to buy one of these next year and then the next E3 it gets announced another console is being released.

2-3? I'm thinking 1-2yrs, I could see a next-gen console reveal at next years E3. Sony and MS can kiss my a$$ with their B.S mid-cycle console upgrades.

Haha I was trying to be optimistic Marc, but yeah you are right. I mean we don't even own games anymore a lot of times, we just buy licensing. EA shoves that in our face. I am so disillusioned with the industry, but these fanboys will accept anything their console masters do as long as they can lord it over other gamers.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Mercenary848

@SinjinSmythe said:

The same cows that used to claim they would never pay $50 a year for online are the poor bastards that would have a problem with it.

Bring me my One X now!

And the same people who didn't know any better and buckled to paying 50$ a year for online, helped it get standardized. It is called being a smart consumer, and not allowing these companies to keep us from owning our games and charging us everytime we turn it on. Keep rolling around like a pig in shit, it's just a shame we all have to go down with you.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 MarcRecon

@Mercenary848 said:
@MarcRecon said:
@Mercenary848 said:

2-3? I'm thinking 1-2yrs, I could see a next-gen console reveal at next years E3. Sony and MS can kiss my a$$ with their B.S mid-cycle console upgrades.

Haha I was trying to be optimistic Marc, but yeah you are right. I mean we don't even own games anymore a lot of times, we just buy licensing. EA shoves that in our face. I am so disillusioned with the industry, but these fanboys will accept anything their console masters do as long as they can lord it over other gamers.

But that's the thing, I've always considered most of us gamers as being more educated then the average consumer when it comes to B.S like this. I mean come on, most of us should know how the console cycle works by now, I'm not claiming to be one of the so-called genius industry analyst, but this stuff is faaaaar from rocket science!

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Mercenary848

@MarcRecon said:
@Mercenary848 said:
@MarcRecon said:
@Mercenary848 said:

But that's the thing, I've always considered most of us gamers as being more educated then the average consumer when it comes to B.S like this. I mean come on, most of us should know how the console cycle works by now, I'm not claiming to be one of the so-called genius industry analyst, but this stuff is faaaaar from rocket science!

Yeah man, that is why I don't get peoplee in this thread saying stuff like "Oh well if you have a problem with this, then you should get a job". Sheeple never learn

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 MarcRecon

@Mercenary848 said:
@MarcRecon said:
@Mercenary848 said:
@MarcRecon said:
@Mercenary848 said:

Yeah man, that is why I don't get peoplee in this thread saying stuff like "Oh well if you have a problem with this, then you should get a job". Sheeple never learn

People always find a way to justify doing something that they know is wrong or at least questionable. And they say get a job, well, I have a decent job, I own my home and I have a small business on the side, I'm still trying to figure out what that has to do with being foolish with my money!! lol

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

You don't HAVE to get the next one. They'll keep making games for the PRO with the same quality for years. This is only a problem for people who always want the newest tech, which isn't something Sony needs to worry about.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:

Not at all. I mean i buy a new cell phone every 2 years for no reason other then i want something newer. I have like 3 cell phones that still work fine i keep around as backups just in case. I have no issue with buying a new console every 4 years to have the latest and greatest

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65 SinjinSmythe
Member since 2008 • 1049 Posts

@Mercenary848: Someone is salty they have to pay money to game. Cry me a river Tiny Tim.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#66 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

not really $500 every three years isnt breaking my budget.

@quadknight said:

I'll just trade in my Pro once the PS5 arrives. It's most likely gonna have BC with PS4 games.

LOL it wont. Not based on what Jim Ryan says and Sony's track record with remasters becoming a major part of their revenue stream. When the PS5 comes out you'll be buying the remaster of Death Stranding just like you bought the remaster of TLoU on PS4.

GetsLaidAlot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 GetsLaidAlot
Member since 2017 • 121 Posts

@Mercenary848:

I know what you mean, but if you set aside $1 a day until the NEXT box releases, you'll have enough to buy it.

:)

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

Already have a 4k Oled and looking forward to more 4k gaming. Already bought the Pro and considering the XboneX. I am a sucker for increased power.

I can always work overtime to justify the expense.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@oflow said:

not really $500 every three years isnt breaking my budget.

@quadknight said:

I'll just trade in my Pro once the PS5 arrives. It's most likely gonna have BC with PS4 games.

LOL it wont. Not based on what Jim Ryan says and Sony's track record with remasters becoming a major part of their revenue stream. When the PS5 comes out you'll be buying the remaster of Death Stranding just like you bought the remaster of TLoU on PS4.

Jim Ryan is an idiot and I don't listen to him.

PS5 will most likely use the same x86 architecture PS4 uses so I expect full BC with PS4 games.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Daniel_Su123
Member since 2015 • 1103 Posts

@quadknight: We don't know about BC on PS5. Sonys stance on BC has been nothing short of appalling and a disaster.

Since PS4 games are coded to the metal with possibly no abstraction. Future changes to architecture in X86 on Ryzen could possibly cause BC problems in the future.

Microsoft was a genius by having all Games and Apps in a VM with tones of abstraction layers. Their platform is much more dynamic and adaptive to changes whereas PS platform isn't.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#71  Edited By Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3130 Posts

@Megavideogamer: Lol @ Sony being crippled lmao

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Mercenary848

@getslaidalot said:

@Mercenary848:

I know what you mean, but if you set aside $1 a day until the NEXT box releases, you'll have enough to buy it.

:)

I like your username, welcome to GS.

Its the principle of the matter, its never an issue of money for me when deciding to jump to a new console. Just timing and wondering if its worth it. I take gaming hella serious

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1010 Posts

Anyone here thinking that MS of Sony will let PS5 and Xbox2 games run on the Pro and X are fooling themselves. The newer generation games would have trouble running on the Pro and X thanks to their crappy CPU, not to mention relatively meager GPUs.

GetsLaidAlot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 GetsLaidAlot
Member since 2017 • 121 Posts

@Mercenary848: yeah, that's why I like getting consoles on initial launch, because I can enjoy the entire gen.

Dr_Vancouver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Dr_Vancouver
Member since 2017 • 1046 Posts

"Anyone nervous to buy a mid gen console(XboxX/PSpro) because they might have to buy a new one in 2/3 years."

Nope. First of all, I always buy all of 'em anyways so a new "one" will be probably 2, and before then we'll get a Switch Pro Dock as well I'm sure. 2-3 years out of the PS4 Pro and XBoneX sounds about right. But the more you wait out a price drop you'd have well more than the price difference in fun. That's how I look at it, if you don't buy at launch you're only stealing your own time away from a generation.

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts

That's why OP is the peasant race, pc master race has no problem buying $1,000 GPUs every year.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

PS4 Pro I'd be hesitant, but Xbox One X feels more like a sure thing they'll stick with for a while.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#78 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Same here

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Mid gen consoles are a waste, you are always going to be tied to the weakest link regardless. Devs are going to put more effort into making sure a game runs on the 90+ million userbase not on the 2 million userbase.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#80 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

The only thing I'm nervous about is not being able to get the XOneX on day 1.....they better have sufficient stock :)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#81  Edited By Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 70492 Posts

New systems will be released as needed and will have full BC. A new system will not be on the horizon for both companies for at least 3 years.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

I've decided to skip bullshit like the XBone X and the PS4 Pro for this very reason.

Odds are the PS5 and XB Two or whatever will come out by Holiday season 2019 anyway.