Anyone else think that console JRPGs have become mediocre?

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SonicNextGen2
Member since 2010 • 3592 Posts
Honestly it seems all the good ones are going to handhelds now, the only good ones that seems to come out on consoles are Disgaea, Tales, and Monster Hunter.
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"][QUOTE="cfisher2833"]

Isn't the title of the thread "Anyone else thing that consolejrpgs have become mediocre?"

ImJESUS-PROam

I misread the title but my answer is still no. Dark Souls, Demons Souls, Disgaea 3 & 4, Lost Odyssey, Ni No Kuni,Tales Of Vesperia, Tales Of Graces F, Valkyria Chronicles, The Last Story, Xenoblade say otherwise. Also, anyone who is a JRPG fan knows JRPG's aren't big on consoles anymore. They're on handhelds.

Still waiting on that handheld list. I would also like to mention the Souls games aren't Jrpgs. They are imitations of Wrpgs Style, and are Wrpgs. I would also like to go down your console list as well, Disgaea is too slow paced of a game, and plays to similar, Lost Odyssey was good but needed some improvements and was not a n A++ Jrpg, but it was good. Ni No Kuni is shallow and the art style and the studio that co-developed its reputation sold it. The last Story was influence by Third-Person shooters, Xenoblade was lacking in content(IMO) and had a few areas that seemed generic in terms of gameplay and plot, Tales games died after the Gamecube, they play way too close to eachother. Valkyria Chronicles is the only game in that list that really hit me until the PSP games.

I could've sworn I posted a list. Souls games are made by a Japanese developer and therefore they're JRPG's to me. Not going to get into the long winded debate on region versus gameplay as it always leads nowhere.

To me those games are high tier for the JRPG genre. Disgaea is a SRPG so of course is slow in the beginning, it's also packed full of content and in depth mechanics. Whether you like it's tongue in cheek humor and story is perspective. Lost Odyssey is a great game. Ni No Kuni while I personally didn't care too much for what I played was a well made game with some hiccups in the battle system. The Last Story was great from characters to combat, it was jsut too short. Xenoblade again while I personally wasn't a big fan was a great game. Valkyria Chronicles was a innovative SRPG with it's gameplay and one of the best games this generation.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

I almost started to worry after playing FF13... Love the game but seriously lacking in the meat and potatoes department.  I thought maybe the hi-def games will be all about visuals without the sweet gameplay....

Then I played FF 13-2, Xenoblade, Ni No Kuni... and realized there is still hope.

(Still waiting on Phantasy Star 5 tho... not talking about PSO either.)

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
Most JRPG development has moved to handheld platforms.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#6 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

From the ones I´ve played(and seen) I would say so for the most part,though Valkyria Chronicles and Xenoblade were pretty good,especially VC.

(Still waiting on Phantasy Star 5 tho... not talking about PSO either.)

enzyme36

That´s totally never gonna happen,sadly.

Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vyse_Legends
Member since 2007 • 9387 Posts

Still holding onto hope that ATLUS will announce Persona 5 sometime soon.:P

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
The handhelds one are as well to be quite honest. Though that's not unusual plenty of genres are filled with more mostly mediocre outings with the good/great stuff making up a small percentage of said genre.
TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TilxWLOC
Member since 2011 • 1164 Posts

Most JRPGs have been pretty bad since the SNES. There are always Chrono Triggers and Secret of Mana-s out there though.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Ni No Kuni
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Yeah the only two I really enjoyed were Lost odyssey and Ni no kuni. There was also a game called enchanted arms or something like that right at the beginning of the gen that I actually played through to the end and enjoyed a bit. Everything else Ive gave up on because theyre garbage, FFXIII included. Huge disappointment.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Xenoblade.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

not really. Just been way more jrpgs to pick from on the handheld. I enjoyed 13,13-2,tales of grace,xenoblade,last story,VC,WKC and proboly something els I cant remember.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

I don't believe they were ever good.

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

The last really good ones were on the PS One. The few I played this generation have been comletely terrible. I will stick to WRPG's for now on.

Magescrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Magescrew
Member since 2008 • 541 Posts
Always have been, always will be. Even the lowest WRPG like DA2 easily beats 99% of all JRPGs made for consoles this gen.
Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

Ni No Kuni

Tales Of Xillia

Tales Of Vesperia

Xenoblade

Disgaea 4

Those are all above Medoicre

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts
Yes for quite some time now.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#19 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

TC clearly didn't play Xenoblade.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

I don't believe they were ever good.

GD1551
No back in the Final Fantasy 3 / 6 days they were, in fact they were actually more advanced story and choice wise,
ImJESUS-PROam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ImJESUS-PROam
Member since 2013 • 360 Posts
This whole gen has been quite bad for Jrpgs that any ray that is right at mediocrity gets critically acclaimed still having the issues that made people turn away from the sub-genre in the first place.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Xenoblade.
Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

Then I played FF 13-2, Xenoblade, Ni No Kuni... and realized there is still hope.

enzyme36

One of these isn't like the others, one of these just doesn't belong.

[spoiler] 13-2 should not have given you hope [/spoiler]  

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

[QUOTE="enzyme36"]

Big_Pecks

One of these isn't like the others, one of these just doesn't belong.

[spoiler] 13-2 should not have given you hope [/spoiler]  

game was fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#25 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I thought so... but I have yet to play Ni No Kuni. Maybe that game will restore my long lost love for JRPG. FF XIII completely killed it, now hoping NNK will restore it...

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

Ni No Kuni Coasting on its looks. Underneath it was a fairly typical JRPG with a crap combat system. 

Tales Of Xillia If you've played one tales game, you've played them all.

Tales Of Vesperia Even the developer of the tales series pretty much admitted this.

Xenoblade Good, but it's on a dead console and it looks worse than many Vita games. 

Disgaea 4 Eh, way too anime for my tastes. But I'll admit, SRPGs are decent and the use of turn based combat actually adds to their overall quality, unlike traditional JRPGs.

Those are all above Medoicre

Mrmedia01

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FlamesOfGrey
No, and anyone who plays on handhelds knows this.
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Fire Emblem: Awakening, The Last Remnant, and Valkyria Chronicles have been pretty great this gen. How many JRPG's were truly great games last gen? I realize there were more of them, but I'm not sure they were really better.
ImJESUS-PROam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ImJESUS-PROam
No, and anyone who plays on handhelds knows this.FlamesOfGrey
Fine, name some for me and I will try some out right now and we will see.
cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

No, and anyone who plays on handhelds knows this.FlamesOfGrey

Isn't the title of the thread "Anyone else thing that consolejrpgs have become mediocre?"  

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#31 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Xenoblade.OreoMilkshake
Xenoblade.
Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
They've always been mediocre compared to D&D based WRPGs.
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FlamesOfGrey

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]No, and anyone who plays on handhelds knows this.cfisher2833

I misread the title but my answer is still no. Dark Souls, Demons Souls, Disgaea 3 & 4, Lost Odyssey, Ni No Kuni,Tales Of Vesperia, Tales Of Graces F, Valkyria Chronicles, The Last Story, Xenoblade say otherwise. Also, anyone who is a JRPG fan knows JRPG's aren't big on consoles anymore. They're on handhelds.
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FlamesOfGrey
[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]No, and anyone who plays on handhelds knows this.ImJESUS-PROam

Devil Survivor I & II, Etrian Odyssey IV, Fire Emblem Awakening, Growlanser: Wayfarer Of Time, Knights In The Nightmare, Persona 4 Golden, The Legend Of Heroes: Trails In The Sky, The World Ends With You, Y's Oath In Felghana, Y's Seven. That's a small list get started.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bbkkristian
They've always been mediocre compared to D&D based WRPGs.Sali217
I can agree. Remember the Greatness of the Grandfather of RPGs
ImJESUS-PROam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ImJESUS-PROam
[QUOTE="cfisher2833"]

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]No, and anyone who plays on handhelds knows this.FlamesOfGrey

Still waiting on that handheld list. I would also like to mention the Souls games aren't Jrpgs. They are imitations of Wrpgs Style, and are Wrpgs. I would also like to go down your console list as well, Disgaea is too slow paced of a game, and plays to similar, Lost Odyssey was good but needed some improvements and was not a n A++ Jrpg, but it was good. Ni No Kuni is shallow and the art style and the studio that co-developed its reputation sold it. The last Story was influence by Third-Person shooters, Xenoblade was lacking in content(IMO) and had a few areas that seemed generic in terms of gameplay and plot, Tales games died after the Gamecube, they play way too close to eachother. Valkyria Chronicles is the only game in that list that really hit me until the PSP games.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]Xenoblade.bbkkristian
Xenoblade.

Chronicles
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bbkkristian
[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]Xenoblade.OreoMilkshake
Xenoblade.

Chronicles

Masterpiece.
ImJESUS-PROam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ImJESUS-PROam
[QUOTE="ImJESUS-PROam"][QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]No, and anyone who plays on handhelds knows this.FlamesOfGrey

Devil Survivor I & II, Etrian Odyssey IV, Fire Emblem Awakening, Growlanser: Wayfarer Of Time, Knights In The Nightmare, Persona 4 Golden, The Legend Of Heroes: Trails In The Sky, The World Ends With You, Y's Oath In Felghana, Y's Seven. That's a small list get started.

YS games are good but OiF is basically the same game with a different camera angle, the same character stereotypes, similar plots. Same with YSseven. I have not played Fire Emblem Awakening but I have played quite a few games in the series, I will give it another chance. Devil SurviorP4 is tedious, The Legend of Heroes trails to the sky is generic with a ok battle system, and a plot with fairly generic characters and writing. I have not played the World Ends with you so I guess I will buy that today to along with awakening. Other games not mentioned are not even worth talking about. Seems the store has both games, I can always return if not like.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#40 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19681 Posts

Console gaming is slowly dying in Japan (replaced by handhelds and mobiles), so this shouldn't be too surprising.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FlamesOfGrey
[QUOTE="ImJESUS-PROam"][QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"][QUOTE="ImJESUS-PROam"] Fine, name some for me and I will try some out right now and we will see.

YS games are good but OiF is basically the same game with a different camera angle, the same character stereotypes, similar plots. Same with YSseven. I have not played Fire Emblem Awakening but I have played quite a few games in the series, I will give it another chance. Devil SurviorP4 is tedious, The Legend of Heroes trails to the sky is generic with a ok battle system, and a plot with fairly generic characters and writing. I have not played the World Ends with you so I guess I will buy that today to along with awakening. Other games not mentioned are not even worth talking about. Seems the store has both games, I can always return if not like.

Well you're entitled to your own opinion. I personally put those games in the best the genre has to offer well except FE Awakening but that's the only FE game that's readily available now outsiide of Japan.
ImJESUS-PROam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ImJESUS-PROam

[QUOTE="ImJESUS-PROam"][QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"] I misread the title but my answer is still no. Dark Souls, Demons Souls, Disgaea 3 & 4, Lost Odyssey, Ni No Kuni,Tales Of Vesperia, Tales Of Graces F, Valkyria Chronicles, The Last Story, Xenoblade say otherwise. Also, anyone who is a JRPG fan knows JRPG's aren't big on consoles anymore. They're on handhelds.FlamesOfGrey

I could've sworn I posted a list. Souls games are made by a Japanese developer and therefore they're JRPG's to me. Not going to get into the long winded debate on region versus gameplay as it always leads nowhere.

To me those games are high tier for the JRPG genre. Disgaea is a SRPG so of course is slow in the beginning, it's also packed full of content and in depth mechanics. Whether you like it's tongue in cheek humor and story is perspective. Lost Odyssey is a great game. Ni No Kuni while I personally didn't care too much for what I played was a well made game with some hiccups in the battle system. The Last Story was great from characters to combat, it was jsut too short. Xenoblade again while I personally wasn't a big fan was a great game. Valkyria Chronicles was a innovative SRPG with it's gameplay and one of the best games this generation.

I understand you do not want to go in that debate but the terms surfaces based on style and not region so to be honest if you are supporting the other side it makes no sense whatsoever and you may be just a little insane. Moving on though, we seem to both agree VC is the best of the games you listed.
Game_Guy567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 Game_Guy567
Member since 2009 • 3427 Posts

Yes, but there are quite alot of great ones (Xenoblade).

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#44 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

Xenoblade was the last one I played, amazing game.  I need to get around to The Last Story sometime.

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

They should just make actions games instead. Just look at Dark Souls.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Xenoblade and Ni No Kuni (sp?) are the only interesting JRPGs this gen, so yes JRPG's are pretty mediocre on consoles compared to their HH counter parts.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

It's always been this way.

SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SonicNextGen2
Member since 2010 • 3592 Posts
I've played all of the above, I just find it stupid that they are so rare now (quality wise, not quantity)
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#49 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

Well, I don't play very many console JRPGs now, but so far, I find Ni No Kuni's battle system quite wonky. I think it really doesn't help that I greatly dislike AI controled partners. I'll take turn based over real time any day if it means I have full control over my team.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#50 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19681 Posts

[QUOTE="Jag85"][QUOTE="ImJESUS-PROam"] The definition regarding the extensive of the terms was not based on region. You have to be pretty mind numb to think that it is. It is much toward a Wrpg style game and that is what is trying to be like. Elaborate on leveling system.ImJESUS-PROam
Dark Souls is not trying to be either a "JRPG" or a "WRPG"... but it's just a Japanese hack & slash dungeon crawler with RPG elements.

The Industry decided to call it an Rpg regardless and it does not seem they will backtrack the mistake, so it's a Wrpg for what it is at the moment.

Besides the art style and presentation, Dark Souls has little else in common with WRPG's.