Another user review for PS3 Oblivion, again inferior to 360 in many ways

This topic is locked from further discussion.

conceru3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 conceru3
Member since 2007 • 507 Posts

Here it is, as i said the colors are washed out and can't be saturated right, although as the reviewer suggest they re clear and crip, but NOT overaturated which setting i always use for all my games

Textures also are a tie, here it is 

Being someone who owns both a 360 and PS3 and has played the game on both systems, I feel I can give an accurate opinion on this matter. For the record though, I still believe forthright that a high-spec PC runs Oblivion far better than either console.

First there are the textures. I have noticed the differences and feel that there are sections of the game that each console excels on, most of which have been presented already. Certain textures on the 360 are superior, while others on the PS3 seem more crisp and realistic at times. The 360 textures are more balanced in the fact that no textures are significantly better or worse than others, as opposed to the various quality differences that come in the PS3. One place I feel the PS3 is better though is in texture filtering. Someone earlier compared it to 16x AF filtering on a PC which I believe is a pretty good description. Buildings, grass, and pathways have a much smoother fade-in than the "pop-up" textures on 360.

As for loading times, the PS3 is a clear winner, but at a cost. The 4.3 GB required for caching is a pretty hefty price. Anyway, at least the "loading area" screens are fewer and farther between and also seem to be faster, although this never was a major problem to me on the 360.

Everyone here seems to be focused a lot on the lighting and color comparisons, particularly from the GameTrailers video. Although the video is very good at showing certain textural and other graphical elements, the color and lighting representation on this video is simply inaccurate. The PS3 version does not look washed out at all. The colors are just as detailed, crisp, and clear as they are on the 360. As for lighting, the 360 does more with HDR, but personally I've always thought of HDR as overrated. If oversaturated color and light is your thing, then I'd go with the 360. If you're like me and think simple bloom effects are more natural, go with the PS3. I wouldn't say one or the other is better in this area; it's simply a matter of personal preference.

Performance was my primary concern when playing Oblivion. While the PC offered the greatest framerate, the 360 and the PS3 both held a playable, enjoyable rate without too much slowdown. Originally I did notice a significant drop in FPS in the PS3 version, but later concluded that this was caused by the initial 4.3 GB caching to the HDD. Once this process was complete the game ran steady. Overall, the 360 has a very slight edge in framerate.

As far as extra content goes, Shivering Isles and other downloadable content have not been ruled out for the PS3. The official word from Bethesda (last I read anyway) was that they were unsure as to what content would be available for download. With that said, at the moment, the 360 definitely has the upper-hand in this regard.

Lastly I would like to touch on control, SIXAXIS vs. Xbox 360 wireless controller. Once again I feel this is a personal preference area, but thought it would be a good idea to express my views on it. The 360 has the advantage of force feedback, which to some provides a more engrossing experience. This disadvantage to this is the added weight to the controller. The SIXAXIS provides a more light-weight alternative at the price of force feedback. My personal choice is the SIXAXIS, simply because I prefer the layout over the 360 controller, but I'm sure many others enjoy the 360 controller more for their own personal reasons.

Final verdict? For me, it was the PS3. In the end, it really comes down to personal preference. The simple fact is most people that enjoy the game will enjoy it no matter what system they play it on.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts
User reviews about a 1 year old game where the PC version was much better than either of the console versions are sooooo exciting to read.
bman784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 bman784
Member since 2004 • 6755 Posts
THIS GAME HAD AN EXTRA YEAR IN DEVELOPMENT!!! Why is there such a huge debate as to which version is better? After watching  videos of the PS3 version in addition to playing a vast amount of the 360 version, it seems apparent that the PS3 version is more crisp texturally and runs relatively the same as the 360 version. There is no doubt that the PS3 version will get the extra content eventually, so I don't get why people are debating as to which is better when it would appear obvious. I did notice that the PS3 version used more downplayed bloom effects making the lighing seem quite softer, but I didn't really see much other than that which would lead to some discrepency. Unless I'm missing something and the textures are "washed out" as is being said, I see no real evidence why the PS3 version isn't better graphically. There's no reason it shouldn't be.
conceru3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 conceru3
Member since 2007 • 507 Posts

THIS GAME HAD AN EXTRA YEAR IN DEVELOPMENT!!! Why is there such a huge debate as to which version is better? After watching  videos of the PS3 version in addition to playing a vast amount of the 360 version, it seems apparent that the PS3 version is more crisp texturally and runs relatively the same as the 360 version. There is no doubt that the PS3 version will get the extra content eventually, so I don't get why people are debating as to which is better when it would appear obvious. I did notice that the PS3 version used more downplayed bloom effects making the lighing seem quite softer, but I didn't really see much other than that which would lead to some discrepency. Unless I'm missing something and the textures are "washed out" as is being said, I see no real evidence why the PS3 version isn't better graphically. There's no reason it shouldn't be.bman784

Not the textures, the colors and shadows are less saturated, giving that washed out look

As for textures, read above, they are not better overall on PS3, they are good in some spots, worst in others

Huxley_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Huxley_00
Member since 2006 • 1309 Posts
why are people beating a dead horse? do you ever see lemmings bring up the 500 multiplat games that look better on the 360 after the game has been released a couple weeks later? please.. it's one freaking game..
diggyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 diggyzoom
Member since 2005 • 19616 Posts

My gut tells me that you don't have a ps3. Why would you have one already ? If you are interested in the console you seem like the type that would wait for White Night Story or the FF games to release before buying one.

Pizza_Guy450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pizza_Guy450
Member since 2004 • 189 Posts

I really don't understand how a review that comments on textures being "more crisp and realistic", Texture filtering being compareable to 16x AF, Directly says that "The PS3 version does not look washed out at all. The colors are just as detailed, crisp, and clear as they are on the 360. As for lighting, the 360 does more with HDR, but personally I've always thought of HDR as overrated. If oversaturated color and light is your thing, then I'd go with the 360. If you're like me and think simple bloom effects are more natural, go with the PS3", and eventually decides that the PS3 version is his preferred version, proves that the 360 version is better.

Whatever floats your boat. If you want to try to draw blood from a stone, go for it.

Hater3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Hater3000
Member since 2007 • 2310 Posts
User reviews about a 1 year old game where the PC version was much better than either of the console versions are sooooo exciting to read.XaosII
I have to agree with xaos on this one,User reviews doesnt count on SW......ever.
Pizza_Guy450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pizza_Guy450
By the way people, note that he said "Inferior" in the title
munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 munu9
Member since 2004 • 11109 Posts

why are people beating a dead horse? do you ever see lemmings bring up the 500 multiplat games that look better on the 360 after the game has been released a couple weeks later? please.. it's one freaking game..Huxley_00

Yes, and they use it as a basis to call the ps3's hardware "inferior" to the xbox360... Cows deserve to beat this dead horse...

Pizza_Guy450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pizza_Guy450

[QUOTE="Huxley_00"]why are people beating a dead horse? do you ever see lemmings bring up the 500 multiplat games that look better on the 360 after the game has been released a couple weeks later? please.. it's one freaking game..munu9

Yes, and they use it as a basis to call the ps3's hardware "inferior" to the xbox360... Cows deserve to beat this dead horse...

Thing is, the TC is a lem, but screwed up what he was trying to say.
Trashface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 Trashface
Member since 2006 • 3534 Posts
User reviews about a 1 year old game where the PC version was much better than either of the console versions are sooooo exciting to read.XaosII
The 360 version got a better review than the pc version.
Trashface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Trashface
[QUOTE="munu9"]

[QUOTE="Huxley_00"]why are people beating a dead horse? do you ever see lemmings bring up the 500 multiplat games that look better on the 360 after the game has been released a couple weeks later? please.. it's one freaking game..Pizza_Guy450

Yes, and they use it as a basis to call the ps3's hardware "inferior" to the xbox360... Cows deserve to beat this dead horse...

Thing is, the TC is a lem, but screwed up what he was trying to say.

How can he say he prefers the ps3 version and be a "lem"?
ilovesnowboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ilovesnowboard
Member since 2007 • 541 Posts
So what ? The 360 got an update, and now it's looks completely similar..so what's the big deal?
xLegend24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 xLegend24
Member since 2007 • 814 Posts
It had a year development time and still doesn't look as good as the PC version and only slightly better than the 360 version.
Trashface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Trashface
It had a year development time and still doesn't look as good as the PC version and only slightly better than the 360 version.xLegend24
You cannot compare pc versions to consoles. If you do, be prepared to list the specs of the pc you compared it with.