Another IP Nintendo is sitting on... Advance Wars (or Famicom Wars)

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

Not gonna lie, after I watched EPN's review of the indie game Wargroove, Victor Lucas made a point, Nintendo is sitting on Advance Wars.

Advance Wars being a console-friendly strategy series, I'm shocked they never considered one for Switch. And I mean a classic Advance/Famicom Wars game, but I wouldn't mind a Battalion Wars III either (despite the fact that never did too well), which is the more action version of the series that only remained on GameCube and Wii (with the GC version being the only one I've played, but still, it's an interesting looking series to me).

Besides that and a port of the most popular 4X strategy game series, looks like strategy fans on Nintendo platforms will have to suffice with these (unless you count Fire Emblem).

What do you think? Besides F-Zero (and I really don't want to get into THAT), is Nintendo making another mistake sitting on this series, missing the potential on Switch?

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

Eh, the first two games were really popular (I assume Famicon Wars was too), but the last two games probably sold pretty poorly, and Battalion Wars didn't do much better.

There's still potential for another good Advance Wars game, but I'm happy that they're focusing on Fire Emblen instead.

(Also, Wargroove was a huge disappointment...)

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

........ I'd play a new Battalion Wars.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#4 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Nintendo, like many top publishers have many dormant but fairly popular IP.

Unfortunately I dont think the game would be popular enough for nintendo to allocate resources for it. I can see they give this game to new recruits to see what they cando though

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

Those two games aren't my cup of tea.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#7 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Intelligent Systems makes Fire Emblem and Paper Mario, too.

Fire Emblem was on the chopping block years ago - the team developed Awakening with the thought in mind that it might be the last FE game. Continued success of the series made Nintendo realize that decision was stupid, and ever since they've has IS working on a bunch of FE games.

Paper Mario turns up every couple of years, it has the Mario name, of course. I think it's become more or less an obligation at this point, but Nintendo has the Mario and Luigi series so I think that's taken slack off of IS.

What a lot of people don't realize is, the first two AW games originally only came out in the West, and were released late in Japan by a couple of years. The Wars series was successful early on, but Japan was behind during the Advance iteration of the series. That may have impacted popularity to some extent, since the GBA was being replaced by the DS and Dual Strike was a continuation of the first two games.

I've read an article or two over the years where staff members at Intelligent Systems had expressed interest in working on future Wars games, but maybe after such a lengthy time away from the series they're not quite sure what they want to do for a new one.