Andrew House: Even if a majority of Ps4 Pro games are upscaled it's not misleading to say the games run at 4K

• 173 results
zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

@ronvalencia said:
@darkangel115 said:

it's Faux-K not 4K

4K checkerboard rendering is NOT upscale since it has odd or even rendered pixels at their native position, but it's not full native rendered frame buffer.

4K checkerboard rendering enables the machine to nearly halve the memory bandwidth requirements hence enables 2K/3K GPU to reach very near 4K results. Remember, 4K blu-ray video stream is only a very good approximation from uncompressed video stream as H.265 video format is a lossy compression with temporal and motion pixel reconstruction.

It's still upscale because you are interpolating these other odd or even numbered pixels either from previous frames ( as in the case of temporal reconstruction) or you are guessing the color of the intermediate pixel between two consecutively odd or even pixels, which mathematically is still interpolation. Not to mention the end result whether you use checkerboard or any other upscale method will always have the same ratio of native to constructed pixels.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#102 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
@GarGx1 said:

No one will be suing Sony for saying the PS4 Pro can do native 4k. All they need is one game running with native 4k resolution and they can shout their claims from the highest mountain and suffer no repercussions what so ever.

So if the game says "4K compatible" or something on the box, and it isn't native 4K but upscaled, you are saying there would be no chance of a lawsuit? Even in the US?

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

"Faux K"

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@zeeshanhaider said:
@ronvalencia said:
@darkangel115 said:

it's Faux-K not 4K

4K checkerboard rendering is NOT upscale since it has odd or even rendered pixels at their native position, but it's not full native rendered frame buffer.

4K checkerboard rendering enables the machine to nearly halve the memory bandwidth requirements hence enables 2K/3K GPU to reach very near 4K results. Remember, 4K blu-ray video stream is only a very good approximation from uncompressed video stream as H.265 video format is a lossy compression with temporal and motion pixel reconstruction.

It's still upscale because you are interpolating these other odd or even numbered pixels either from previous frames ( as in the case of temporal reconstruction) or you are guessing the color of the intermediate pixel between two consecutively odd or even pixels, which mathematically is still interpolation. Not to mention the end result whether you use checkerboard or any other upscale method will always have the same ratio of native to constructed pixels.

4K framebuffer checkerboard render is not upscale as odd or even rendered pixels are located at their native position. Only missing odd or even pixels are interpolated.

Checkerboard render's missing pixels has pixel data from sides, top and bottom pixels which is far superior to line based interpolation i.e. missing pixel's sides are also missing which relies on previous frame's rendered line.

Rendering a pixel is all about pixel information.

From EA DICE's POV

Again, 4K blu-ray video stream is only a very good approximation from uncompressed video stream as H.265 video format is a lossy compression which also relies on temporal and motion pixel reconstruction methods.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By ronvalencia

@foxhound_fox said:
@GarGx1 said:

No one will be suing Sony for saying the PS4 Pro can do native 4k. All they need is one game running with native 4k resolution and they can shout their claims from the highest mountain and suffer no repercussions what so ever.

So if the game says "4K compatible" or something on the box, and it isn't native 4K but upscaled, you are saying there would be no chance of a lawsuit? Even in the US?

Note that 4K blu-ray video stream is only a very good approximation from uncompressed video stream as H.265(aka HEVC) video format is a lossy compression which also relies on temporal and motion pixel reconstruction methods.

H.265 lossy mode video stream is technically inferior to a H.265 lossless mode video stream.

4K framebuffer checkerboard render is not upscale as checkerboard's white pixels are rendered in their native position. The geometry layer would be at 4K with odd or even missing pixels has zero shaders applied.

@NFJSupreme said:

"Faux K"

Just like any H.265 lossy mode video stream from UHD Blu-ray.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#106 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@nygamespotter said:

@xantufrog: How? How would that not be enough? If games keep their current console settings then they could easily run at 4K on a RX 480. Scorpio will be much faster than that so it would not only run most games at 4K but also increase graphical fidelity.

The RX-480 is already 5.5 TFLOPS, and is a 20-35 FPS card in 4K max/ultra, and those are benchmarks with exceptional rigs (so as to avoid bottlenecking outside the GPU). The Scorpio will be somewhat more powerful, but will also being trying to run games 2+ years from now. It's going to be a 30fps machine that slightly outshines the PS4's performance as a 1080 machine at launch near as I can tell.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 xantufrog  Moderator

@foxhound_fox said:
@GarGx1 said:

I wouldn't say "no chance", but given that a huge proportion of the PS3/360 games had "720p" stamped on the box but were upscaled, and a huge proportion of PS4 and X1 games have "1080p" stamped on the box but are upscaled...

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By ronvalencia

@xantufrog said:
@nygamespotter said:

@xantufrog: How? How would that not be enough? If games keep their current console settings then they could easily run at 4K on a RX 480. Scorpio will be much faster than that so it would not only run most games at 4K but also increase graphical fidelity.

The RX-480 is already 5.5 TFLOPS, and is a 20-35 FPS card in 4K max/ultra, and those are benchmarks with exceptional rigs (so as to avoid bottlenecking outside the GPU). The Scorpio will be somewhat more powerful, but will also being trying to run games 2+ years from now. It's going to be a 30fps machine that slightly outshines the PS4's performance as a 1080 machine at launch near as I can tell.

With RX-480 has up to 5.83 TFLOPS at 1266 Mhz.

Under volt mode yields flat line 1266 Mhz.

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-rx-480-undervolting-performance_183699

nygamespotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 nygamespotter
Member since 2016 • 523 Posts

@xantufrog said:
@nygamespotter said:

I don't want to come off as condescending, but I don't think you read my post properly. I clearly said at console settings.

Let's not forget that PS4 is more closer to a 470 in real world performance (as guesstimated by ROTR) and Scorpio will potentially be sporting a Vega GPU.

@ronvalencia said:

RX 480 is extremely ROP limited, it especially shows in higher resolutions against 290/390/390X. I don't think Scorpio will be short on ROPs, besides, MS were ambitious and claimed native 4K countless times.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 xantufrog  Moderator

@nygamespotter said:

I don't want to come off as condescending, but I don't think you read my post properly. I clearly said at console settings.

Then what are you arguing with me about? That was what I said in my original posts on the topic as well...

Beavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Beavis
Member since 2016 • 131 Posts

Even the Master Race Hermits struggle to have PC's capable of Native 4K at Max Settings.

nygamespotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 nygamespotter

@xantufrog said:
@nygamespotter said:

Then what are you arguing with me about? That was what I said in my original posts on the topic as well...

You actually did not. You just said 'moderate level', which is clearly implying PS4 Pro levels of incapability.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@nygamespotter said:
@xantufrog said:
@nygamespotter said:

You actually did not. You just said 'moderate level', which is clearly implying PS4 Pro levels of incapability.

Yeaaaah no. It's your own problem if you are so deep in the fan war that you translate my description of the Scorpio running native 4K at "medium settings, typically sub 60fps" (which is what I said. In fact, I led by saying "either it will be very expensive, or...") as "lolz Scorpio just as weak as PSPro". BTW, what the hell are "console settings" if not something like "medium" or "sub 60fps" or... I made specific predictions about how it will perform at a console-gamer friendly price point, while you made a vague assertion that it will run games "fine at console settings" and you want to go after me for being imprecise in my language? I'm not taking sides in this thread - I rarely do. I want all 3 big companies to succeed.

nygamespotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By nygamespotter

@xantufrog said:
@nygamespotter said:
@xantufrog said:
@nygamespotter said:

Yeaaaah no. It's your own problem if you are so deep in the fan war that you translate my description of the Scorpio running native 4K at "medium settings, typically sub 60fps" (which is was I said. In fact, I went on to say "or it will be very very expensive") as "lolz Scorpio just as weak as PSPro". BTW, what the hell are "console settings" if not something like "medium" or "sub 60fps" or... I made specific predictions about how it will perform at a console-gamer friendly price point, while you made a vague assertion that it will run games "fine at console settings" and you want to go after me for being imprecise in my language? I'm not taking sides in this thread - I rarely do. I want all 3 big companies to succeed.

Me neither and so do I. I'm not accusing you of taking sides, either.

But I don't think you're looking at it objectively, since you just chnaged 'RX 480' to 'Scorpio'.

Let's recap what I said, 480 is more than enough to run games at console settings at 4K, since I didn't previously state the frame-rate, I'll add that I meant at 30fps. And what does 'settings' have anything to do with the frame-rate?

Since Scorpio will be more powerful than a 480 (6 TFLOPS, 380+GB/s bandwidth, potentially Vega), it should be even more capable of doing all that.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 xantufrog  Moderator

@nygamespotter: ok. Thanks for the clarification. I feel like we are more-or-less agreeing on what the Scorpio will be and how it performs, just small differences in how we think about it that got us off on the wrong foot.

nygamespotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By nygamespotter

@xantufrog: True. What are you personally expecting the Scorpio's performance to be? Do you think it will have native 4K titles at launch?

L0ngshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#117 L0ngshot
Member since 2014 • 516 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

Is it wrong to call the PS4 a "4k capable" console? Probably not, due it being able to run some games at native 4k, this is what gets Sony out off a false advertisement law suit.

That being said, is it honest? Probably not.

Yep. The problem with the whole thing is the PR and marketing. Sony will undoubtedly print "PS4 Pro 4k capable" on their boxes, whilst a layman would not understand the difference between native 4k and upscaled 4k.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@nygamespotter said:

@xantufrog: True. What are you personally expecting the Scorpio's performance to be? Do you think it will have native 4K titles at launch?

Yes, absolutely. That's where I think some wires must have been crossed.

trollhunter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#119 trollhunter2
Member since 2012 • 2054 Posts

he is right, just not native 4k

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By ronvalencia

@nygamespotter said:
@xantufrog said:
@nygamespotter said:

Let's not forget that PS4 is more closer to a 470 in real world performance (as guesstimated by ROTR) and Scorpio will potentially be sporting a Vega GPU.

@ronvalencia said:

RX 480 is extremely ROP limited, it especially shows in higher resolutions against 290/390/390X. I don't think Scorpio will be short on ROPs, besides, MS were ambitious and claimed native 4K countless times.

RX-480 is not ROPS limited as Tonga's 32 ROPS with delta compression beats R9-290X's 64 ROPS without delta compression. 3DMark's fill-rate benchmarks shows Tonga's advantage with this specific area.

Fury X's 64 ROPS with delta compression murders R9-290X's 64 ROPS without delta compression.

Polaris 10's 32 ROPS with delta compression is superior to Tonga's 32 ROPS with delta compression i.e. design improvements and higher ROPS clock speed (Polaris 10's 32 ROPS at 1266Mhz is effectively like 40 ROPS at 1000 Mhz).

As for RX-480, any overclock editions will be bounded by effective memory bandwidth.

For example

((256 bit x 9000Mhz) / 8) x Polaris's 75.79 percent memory bandwidth efficiency) x Polaris's compression booster 1.36X = 297 GB/s

For reference RX-480

((256 bit x 8000Mhz) / 8) x Polaris's 75.79 percent memory bandwidth efficiency) x Polaris's compression booster 1.36X = 264 GB/s

--

Scorpio's 320 GB/s memory bandwidth

((384 bit x 6700 Mhz) / 8) x Polaris's 75.79 percent memory bandwidth efficiency) x Polaris's compression booster 1.36X = 333 GB/s

Comparison.

The memory bandwidth gap between Fury X and R9-290 = 1.266X (random textures)

With Fury X, it's memory compression is inferior to NVIDIA's Maxwell.

The FLOPS gap between Fury X and R9-290 = 1.48X

The frame rate gap between R9-290X and Fury X is 1.19X.

Random texture memory bandwidth gap's 1.266X factor is closer to frame rate gap's 1.19X.FLOPS gap between R9-290X (5.8 TFLOPS)and Fury X (8.6 TFLOPS) plays very little part with frame rate gap.

With 980 Ti (5.63 TFLOPS), it's superior memory compression enables it to match Fury X's results.

Conclusion: When there's enough FLOPS for a particular workload, effective memory bandwidth is better prediction method for higher grade GPUs.

-------------------

Example of near brain dead Xbox One ports running PC GPUs.

Frame rate difference between 980 Ti and R9-290X is 1.31X

Effective memory bandwidth between 980 Ti and R9-290X is 1.38X

Forza 6 Apex is another example for effective memory bandwidth influencing the frame rate result.

With checkerboard render, it's still has 4K frame buffer with odd or even pixel not being shaded, but the un-shaded pixels are shaded via interpolation method.

Furthermore, compute shader mode has TMU read and write modes which avoids any ROPS limitations as effective memory bandwidth will be the main limitation.

At 4K, RX-480 is like R9-290X and both has similar effective memory bandwidth i.e. 263 GB/s to 268 GB/s range. R9-390X has 311 GB/s effective memory bandwidth.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By ronvalencia

@nygamespotter said:
@xantufrog said:
@nygamespotter said:
@xantufrog said:

Yeaaaah no. It's your own problem if you are so deep in the fan war that you translate my description of the Scorpio running native 4K at "medium settings, typically sub 60fps" (which is was I said. In fact, I went on to say "or it will be very very expensive") as "lolz Scorpio just as weak as PSPro". BTW, what the hell are "console settings" if not something like "medium" or "sub 60fps" or... I made specific predictions about how it will perform at a console-gamer friendly price point, while you made a vague assertion that it will run games "fine at console settings" and you want to go after me for being imprecise in my language? I'm not taking sides in this thread - I rarely do. I want all 3 big companies to succeed.

Me neither and so do I. I'm not accusing you of taking sides, either.

But I don't think you're looking at it objectively, since you just chnaged 'RX 480' to 'Scorpio'.

Let's recap what I said, 480 is more than enough to run games at console settings at 4K, since I didn't previously state the frame-rate, I'll add that I meant at 30fps. And what does 'settings' have anything to do with the frame-rate?

Since Scorpio will be more powerful than a 480 (6 TFLOPS, 380+GB/s bandwidth, potentially Vega), it should be even more capable of doing all that.

Vega 10 has 1 TB/s raw memory bandwidth with at least Polaris 10's 1.36X memory compression factor. Vega has 4X perf/watt improvements besides HBM v2 support.

Fury X's HBM v1's 333 GB/s result has 65 percent efficiency with delta compression wasn't able cover the efficiency lost.

The estimated Vega 10's effective memory bandwidth is 884 GB/s based on Fury X's HBM efficiency and Polaris 10's memory compression factor i.e. Vega 10 would blast past GTX 1080 (577 GB/s effective) and rival GTX 1080 Ti (865 GB/s effective estimate i.e. scale from 1080's 256 bit GDDR5X to 384 bit GDDR5X with Pascal's memory compression).

Math

(Vega 10's 1 TB/s x Fury X's 65 percent efficiency) x Polaris memory compression 1.36X factor = 884 GB/s estimate.

Nvidia most likely knows this, hence they are releasing GTX 1080 Ti.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#122  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@FLOPPAGE_50 said:
@lamprey263 said:

So it's not misleading to say all XB1 games run in 4K now that that the XB1S upscales too?

Nope, I was at my homies house and he ran that shit at 4k, upscaled... XB1S 4k gaming console confirmed, according to Sony rules.

This is sig worthy LOL

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#123 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@GarGx1 said:

That's a different thing from Sony saying that the Ps4 Pro is capable of native 4k.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

4K home screen tho! XP

Blazed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Blazed
Member since 2005 • 2947 Posts

Too bad Sony advertised Pro as a 4k machine not native 4k.

nygamespotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By nygamespotter

@ronvalencia said:

RX-480 is not ROPS limited as Tonga's 32 ROPS with delta compression beats R9-290X's 64 ROPS without delta compression. 3DMark's fill-rate benchmarks shows Tonga's advantage with this specific area.

Fury X's 64 ROPS with delta compression murders R9-290X's 64 ROPS without delta compression.

Polaris 10's 32 ROPS with delta compression is superior to Tonga's 32 ROPS with delta compression i.e. design improvements and higher ROPS clock speed (Polaris 10's 32 ROPS at 1266Mhz is effectively like 40 ROPS at 1000 Mhz).

As for RX-480, any overclock editions will be bounded by effective memory bandwidth.

For example

((256 bit x 9000Mhz) / 8) x Polaris's 75.79 percent memory bandwidth efficiency) x Polaris's compression booster 1.36X = 297 GB/s

For reference RX-480

((256 bit x 8000Mhz) / 8) x Polaris's 75.79 percent memory bandwidth efficiency) x Polaris's compression booster 1.36X = 264 GB/s

--

((384 bit x 6700 Mhz) / 8) x Polaris's 75.79 percent memory bandwidth efficiency) x Polaris's compression booster 1.36X = 333 GB/s

Comparison.

Random texture memory bandwidth gap's 1.266X factor is closer to frame rate gap's 1.19X.FLOPS gap between R9-290X (5.8 TFLOPS)and Fury X (8.6 TFLOPS) plays very little part with frame rate gap.

With 980 Ti (5.63 TFLOPS), it's superior memory compression enables it to match Fury X's results.

Conclusion: When there's enough FLOPS for a particular workload, effective memory bandwidth is better prediction method for higher grade GPUs.

-------------------

Forza 6 Apex is another example for effective memory bandwidth influencing the frame rate result.

With checkerboard render, it's still has 4K frame buffer with odd or even pixel not being shaded, but the un-shaded pixels are shaded via interpolation method.

Furthermore, compute shader mode has TMU read and write modes which avoids any ROPS limitations as effective memory bandwidth will be the main limitation.

At 4K, RX-480 is like R9-290X and both has similar effective memory bandwidth i.e. 263 GB/s to 268 GB/s range. R9-390X has 311 GB/s effective memory bandwidth.

While I do think AMD's recent advances in bandwidth efficiency is nothing short of remarkable. The 480 actually IS ROPS limited. So much that it interferes with real world performance, like I previously said, (I was wrong about 200x, I guess) the 390, 390X still edges the 480 out by a significant margin, at least in my opinion.

On paper, 390 and 480 should be somewhat equal, in fact, the 480 is even more powerful (on paper) than the 390 if we factor in the boost clock improvements. And I would say ROPS are definitely a factor in this.

Regardless, I'm expecting Scorpio to sport 64 ROPS especially as it will be targeting 4K, and since it will also be potentially Vega, it should have no problems with ROPerations.

Also, a bit off-topic but the Apex benchmark is a tad outdated. A recent benchmark by Glen.de shows significant performance improvements and an AMD lead (as expected). It will be interesting to see how Horizon 3 fares on the 480.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6060 Posts

They never said what kind of 4K, they just said "4K." If people get upset by this they should research before they buy. They aren't technically lying but it does border some unethical marketing.

I'm still excited, but I wonder what will be the target resolution most games will aim to render at. I guess something like 1440p and then checkerboard upscale to 4K. I hope the target is a bit higher though.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#128 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@T-razor1 said:

STFU House

LMAO!! So all those 720P and 900P XB1 games that are upscaled to 1080P are ok to say they are 1080P games right? Sony has spoken. Andrew can't be wrong can he? lol!!

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 zeeshanhaider

@ronvalencia said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@ronvalencia said:
@darkangel115 said:

it's Faux-K not 4K

4K framebuffer checkerboard render is not upscale as odd or even rendered pixels are located at their native position. Only missing odd or even pixels are interpolated.

Checkerboard render's missing pixels has pixel data from sides, top and bottom pixels which is far superior to line based interpolation i.e. missing pixel's sides are also missing which relies on previous frame's rendered line.

Rendering a pixel is all about pixel information.

From EA DICE's POV

Again, 4K blu-ray video stream is only a very good approximation from uncompressed video stream as H.265 video format is a lossy compression which also relies on temporal and motion pixel reconstruction methods.

Yeah, that's what I said, it's still upscale. No matter how you com to the final image, the ratio of native to constructive pixels will always remain same in all upscale methods. The only control you have is on the position of the pixels or the number of native pixels influencing the color of constructed pixel, that's it.

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

From what I've read, the Pro will make very good use of a 4K display using the cutting edge checkerboard upscaling technique. This article mentions that "it's one of a number of new custom features built into the PS4 Pro's GPU and as such comes with zero cost to game developers."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-three-hours-with-playstation-4-pro

"I first took a look at the results in Days Gone, the open world survival horror title from Sony Bend. I observed the pixel structure on a 65-inch Sony 4K display from just two feet away, and then I moved closer. It looked good, seriously good. There is a slight softness compared to the pin-sharp precision of a native 4K presentation, but even close-up, the effect works well - in a living room environment, it should work just fine. In common with the other titles using this technique, the demo code we saw can switch in real-time between 1080p and '4K' at the press of a button, with HDR on and off also selectable. There is a clear, unambiguous night and day difference between 1080p and the 4K mode, which is clearly resolving more than the basic 2x increase in pixel throughput being generated at the base level. In fact, the detail increase is almost revelatory - and that applies equally to both Days Gone and Horizon Zero Dawn."

That's impressive that even at 2 feet from a 65 inch display it looked close to native 4K, and who sits that close to a large screen like that when playing on a console anyway?

"But the key takeaway is this - while the PlayStation 4 Pro GPU lacks the horsepower to render out challenging content at native 4K, the presentation we've seen on a number of titles clearly shows a worthwhile, highly desirable increase in fidelity over 1080p - one that does put a 4K screen to good use. Switching between full HD and checkerboard 4K, the increase in detail is simply stunning."

I don't see any problem with 4K being touted as one of the features of the PS4. Even though most games won't be native 4K, there's still a clear benefit there for people with 4K TVs.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#131  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@GarGx1 said:

Yes. They'll just remaster Journey, it will get an 11 here, and be native 4K.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

This is just becoming great now lol. SONY fan boys all gen was attacking, trashing and belittling the xbox one for not being nactive 1080p when Sony had the higher resolution with a lot of their games and now of the bosses of Playstation comes out and says the same thing about their newest console that all xbox fan boys have being saying about the xbox one LMAO. You can't make this stuff up and now even die hard Sony fan boys are starting to turn away from Sony and the others are digging up all arrow Greenberg twits to damage control this LMAO. I remember I posted a few months back when your a fan boy whatever you say will come back and bite you in the ass at some point cause Sony won't be the stronger forever and then what, will now that time is upon us and you'll are starting to look dumb with your response seeing how you said the complete opposite before lol.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@BigShotSmoov007 said:

This is just becoming great now lol. SONY fan boys all gen was attacking, trashing and belittling the xbox one for not being nactive 1080p when Sony had the higher resolution with a lot of their games and now of the bosses of Playstation comes out and says the same thing about their newest console that all xbox fan boys have being saying about the xbox one LMAO. You can't make this stuff up and now even die hard Sony fan boys are starting to turn away from Sony and the others are digging up all arrow Greenberg twits to damage control this LMAO. I remember I posted a few months back when your a fan boy whatever you say will come back and bite you in the ass at some point cause Sony won't be the stronger forever and then what, will now that time is upon us and you'll are starting to look dumb with your response seeing how you said the complete opposite before lol.

Should i quote you damage controlling 720p games in the same way you damage control bad score on xbox one..?

Lemmings are graphics whore but since they loss this gen they don't care about graphics or frames,after making threads after thread comparing the PS3 and xbox 360 all of the sudden it didn't matter.

Downplaying the PS4 Pro without taking a huge dump on the xbox one first is impossible,the xbox one S may do 4k for movies but still is a 720p shitty box that can't get 1080p on most games,if you didn't die by it no one will die for PS4 Pro games using checker board rendering which isn't upscaling or native.

Either way a 4 million pixel frame buffer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 900k one which you and many lemmings are ok with.

My advice keep enjoying those 720p games on xbox one you have 14 months to go. lol

@blackace said:

LMAO!! So all those 720P and 900P XB1 games that are upscaled to 1080P are ok to say they are 1080P games right? Sony has spoken. Andrew can't be wrong can he? lol!!

Enough say fool they already did it before the console was even launch they damage control 720p games after Albert Panello deny on its own neogaf account that sony had a 40% power advantage.

@blackace said:

They didn't use the cloud for graphics with Titanfall you moron. Pretty much everyone knows that. It was used for the A.I. in Titanfall. It was used for Drivatar in Forza 6 & Horizon 2. Titanfall looks great on the XB1. You have no clue because you don't own one. You idiots were the ones saying DX12 would do nothing on the XB1 hardware. lol!! Benchmarks are already proving you fools wrong. Only a matter of time and all the devs will be talking.

The podcast is up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47cnFWK0dRM

3-5x's faster with DX12. Greatness is coming...

Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... 3 to 5X with DX12...hahahahaa

You are deluded and anything you say should be laugh at...

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

@tormentos:

How does quoting me "damage controling" 720p games, which I never have, have anything to do with what I just posted idiot lol. Your comprehension is as funny as this post cause I've said it in the beginning I don't put resolution of a game over the actually fun factor of a game, you do and you don't even play any games, all you do is Google numbers in your mom's basement and spit the same nonsense over and over again. Before you respond to someone's post, actually try and understand what they are saying clown

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#135 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Lems are just jealous because Sony created a console that can bend reality to its will.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#136 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9741 Posts

Was this posted?

http://ps4daily.com/2016/09/sony-fires-back-at-microsofts-response-to-the-ps4-pro/

Andrew House said about Microsoft:

“I thought it was quite intriguing given that we’d seen a year of stories about “a new and different Microsoft” in terms of their attitude towards the competition. That was rather short lived, wasn’t it?”

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By ronvalencia

@nygamespotter said:
@ronvalencia said:

For example

For reference RX-480

--

Comparison.

-------------------

While I do think AMD's recent advances in bandwidth efficiency is nothing short of remarkable. The 480 actually IS ROPS limited. So much that it interferes with real world performance, like I previously said, (I was wrong about 200x, I guess) the 390, 390X still edges the 480 out by a significant margin, at least in my opinion.

On paper, 390 and 480 should be somewhat equal, in fact, the 480 is even more powerful (on paper) than the 390 if we factor in the boost clock improvements. And I would say ROPS are definitely a factor in this.

Regardless, I'm expecting Scorpio to sport 64 ROPS especially as it will be targeting 4K, and since it will also be potentially Vega, it should have no problems with ROPerations.

Also, a bit off-topic but the Apex benchmark is a tad outdated. A recent benchmark by Glen.de shows significant performance improvements and an AMD lead (as expected). It will be interesting to see how Horizon 3 fares on the 480.

No, RX-480 is mostly memory bandwidth bound.

RGBA32F format, RX-480's 1266 Mhz x 32 ROPS x 16 bytes = 648 GB/s Note why better memory compression and HBM v2 or 384 bit GDDR5X are needed.

RGBA16F format, RX-480's 1266 Mhz x 32 ROPS x 8 bytes = 324 GB/s. Scorpio just maximized this color format.

R9-390X still has the higher effective memory bandwidth over RX-480.

Anyway... AMD's 4K benchmarks for R9-390X

VEGA 10 is the large VEGA chip with 1 TB/s of four HBM v2 modules and 4X perf/watt improvements. The lesser VEGA that replaces Polaris 10 is TBA.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By ronvalencia

@zeeshanhaider said:

Yeah, that's what I said, it's still upscale. No matter how you com to the final image, the ratio of native to constructive pixels will always remain same in all upscale methods. The only control you have is on the position of the pixels or the number of native pixels influencing the color of constructed pixel, that's it.

Again, upscale is pure pixel copy to target resolution. EA DICE has stated their solution doesn't fit the definition for upscale and native i.e. it's custom.

Note that lossy compression 4K UHD-blu-ray videos are not pixel perfect when compared to lossless video formats.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#139 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

I am just amazed you guys can somehow tell the difference between upscaled 4K and Native 4K.

I know 99.99999999% of gamers and myself couldn't.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

@tormentos said:

LOL! You keep bringing the past because you can't handle that Sony is lying about it's Faux-K ability! Besides, you don't even own or plan on getting a PS4 Pro, so don't even bother!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#141  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70444 Posts

@stuff238 said:

I am just amazed you guys can somehow tell the difference between upscaled 4K and Native 4K.

8 - 15 feet away from the screen.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 ronvalencia

@stuff238 said:

Pixel copy up-scaled 1280x720 to 4K method is still 1280x720

Pixel copy up-scaled 1600x900 to 4K method is still 1600x900

Pixel copy up-scaled 1920x1080 to 4K method is still 1920x1080

There could be filter pass to soften the edges.

Checkerboard render 4K framebuffer is .... it's not 100 percent 4K native and it's not pixel copy upscale and it's custom.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Looking very forward to the first upscaled Scorpio games. You lems can't help yourselves when it comes to smacking a hornets nest with a stick. Just don't get angry when you get stung.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9741 Posts

@stuff238 said:

They're quite smart. Native 4K is the real 4K.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 zeeshanhaider

@ronvalencia said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

Again, upscale is pure pixel copy to target resolution. EA DICE has stated their solution doesn't fit the definition for upscale and native i.e. it's custom.

Note that lossy compression 4K UHD-blu-ray videos are not pixel perfect when compared to lossless video formats.

I don't care what developers want to call their solution. It's all PR talk. Technically if the original information was not present and guessed using any method is the definition of upscale.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 6210 Posts

Sony only tells the truth, so must be the case.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 6210 Posts

@GameboyTroy said:
@stuff238 said:

They're quite smart. Native 4K is the real 4K.

I probably couldnt on my 1080p TV :)

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7718 Posts

@tdkmillsy: You'll be able to tell the difference even on 1080p tv, thanks to supersampling, you'll get better IQ than normal 1080p even on 1080p screen, obviously not as good as it would look on screen with the rendered resolution but still better than your normal 1080p

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

It's a little gross that Sony is really playing up the unimpressive 4k gimmick without actually even delivering the full benefits.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Yes it is lol. I've seen some really good 4k TV offers here, you could buy a 55" 4k LG at 599 euros ($668). Might be getting one sooner rather than later.