An analysis of the state of PC-gaming. Pretty good read!

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#51 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts

robflores370

Burning Crusade has sold around that much by now, and not all that 8.1 million bought it for online .... your kidding youself.

The xbox 360 has a user base of about 17 million, and the PC has about 200 million according to most of you hermits....if that is true 8.1 million on the PC is not that impressive

Just like a console fanboy..... they always downplay PC advantages..... downplaying mods, graphics, controls, now this?

Avatar image for Truffle-Shuffle
Truffle-Shuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Truffle-Shuffle
Member since 2007 • 455 Posts

i am sure you are going to tell me how my figures are wrong. 13 million thats from valve, and 35million subscribers well thats off the original poster who got it off mmogdata website.

and can you give us the link for the halo 3 selling 8.1 million copies. however still not as good as 9million active subscribers to world of warcraft is it. thats what around $90million a month revenue, i am sure blizzard wish they made games only for the consoles :)

crozon

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/halo3/news.html?sid=6184291&om_act=convert&om_clk=gsupdates&tag=updates;title;7

KalEl370

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 KalEl370
Member since 2007 • 907 Posts

i am sure you are going to tell me how my figures are wrong. 13 million thats from valve, and 35million subscribers well thats off the original poster who got it off mmogdata website.

and can you give us the link for the halo 3 selling 8.1 million copies. however still not as good as 9million active subscribers to world of warcraft is it. thats what around $90million a month revenue, i am sure blizzard wish they made games only for the consoles :)

crozon

here you go

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6184291.html?tag=result;title;1

gatorteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 gatorteen
Member since 2005 • 2760 Posts
[QUOTE="crozon"]

Truffle-Shuffle

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/halo3/news.html?sid=6184291&om_act=convert&om_clk=gsupdates&tag=updates;title;7

Please just get off this topic. We dont care what you have to prove.

KalEl370

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 KalEl370
[QUOTE="robflores370"]

aliblabla2007

Burning Crusade has sold around that much by now, and not all that 8.1 million bought it for online .... your kidding youself.

The xbox 360 has a user base of about 17 million, and the PC has about 200 million according to most of you hermits....if that is true 8.1 million on the PC is not that impressive

Just like a console fanboy..... they always downplay PC advantages..... downplaying mods, graphics, controls, now this?

and just like an elitist hermit to deny the obvious and ignore the disadvantages

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 aliblabla2007

You're just an ignorant lemming fanboy.... the group with the most hypocrisy in SW.

Does it matter if they are playing it online? 8.1 million copies is a lot and how many people are playing WoW online since it's only a online game?

Truffle-Shuffle

1. WoW sold 9.5 mil. 9.5 > 8.1 Last I checked.

Keep lying to yourself that PC gaming isn't getting smashed

Truffle-Shuffle

2. PC Gaming has had more members than before, not less.

and in time MMORPGs will be on consoles and most likely be more fun

Truffle-Shuffle

3. Complete speculation and fanboy BS

Why would anyone have to even buy Wow when they can download it and sign up for 15 bucks a month to play that generic game?

Truffle-Shuffle

4. I suppose if an AAA game with 9.5 mil copies sold is generic, then Mass Effect, a flop with less than half that amount must be a piece of animal crap.

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 aliblabla2007
[QUOTE="aliblabla2007"][QUOTE="robflores370"]

robflores370

and just like an elitist hermit to deny the obvious and ignore the disadvantages

Just like a stereotypical lemming with hypocrisy as his trademark.

I suppose when lemmings behave like they have the best console over everyone else and constantly ram sheep and cows with it it's OK, but when hermits try to prove their system is the best it's elitism and denial.

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#58 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5676 Posts

Excellent post. The console kids just can't stand a good PC thread. There are sales figures for European country's like Germany and Sweden, but I can't read them, can't find them in English.

Nevertheless, it's a changing market, and the PC's online community is unmatched.

KalEl370

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 KalEl370
[QUOTE="robflores370"][QUOTE="aliblabla2007"][QUOTE="robflores370"]

aliblabla2007

Just like a stereotypical lemming with hypocrisy as his trademark.

I suppose when lemmings behave like they have the best console over everyone else and constantly ram sheep and cows with it it's OK, but when hermits try to prove their system is the best it's elitism and denial.

whatever makes you sleep better at night pc fanboy.....just like a typical hermit to pass on his opinions of the best as fact and try to force everyone into being a pc fanboy.....who's the hypocrite?.....hmmm

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#60 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
You realize I almost jumped you with your opening paragraph. Good thing I actually read the whole thing.
crozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 crozon
Member since 2003 • 1180 Posts

here lets try this for our console fanatic fan boys,

just because console gaming is getting very very big.......this does not mean that pc gaming scene is dying or dead or undead or what ever you like to call it. both can sit quite happily side by side. both have strenghts and weakness's.

now pc gaming can not die (not for a while yet anyhow), see there is a lot of money to be made. intel and nvidia are making a shed load of cash because of pc gaming, this is good for consoles. why? why because all this money intel and nvidia make means more r&d into faster more efficient products which mean by the time the next console comes along it can use all these new tech, created by and generated by the pc gaming scene.

so console fanboys pray pc gaming doesn't die or your next console might not be as good :)

KalEl370

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 KalEl370

here lets try this for our console fanatic fan boys,

just because console gaming is getting very very big.......this does not mean that pc gaming scene is dying or dead or undead or what ever you like to call it. both can sit quite happily side by side. both have strenghts and weakness's.

now pc gaming can not die (not for a while yet anyhow), see there is a lot of money to be made. intel and nvidia are making a shed load of cash because of pc gaming, this is good for consoles. why? why because all this money intel and nvidia make means more r&d into faster more efficient products which mean by the time the next console comes along it can use all these new tech, created by and generated by the pc gaming scene.

so console fanboys pray pc gaming doesn't die or your next console might not be as good :)

crozon

Good post.....I agree 100%

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Vandalvideo
Does it matter if they are playing it online? 8.1 million copies is a lot and how many people are playing WoW online since it's only a online game?Keep lying to yourself that PC gaming isn't getting smashed and in time MMORPGs will be on consoles and most likely be more fun Why would anyone have to even buy Wow when they can download it and sign up for 15 bucks a month to play that generic game?Truffle-Shuffle
WoW generic? Oh please, WoW is easily one of the best MMO games around, and just because you have a jaded opinion about MMOs DOES NOT mean that WoW is a generic game. Games like WoW simply can't go to consoles. If you had played them you'd know exactly why; Macros, UI Mods, need for grand control schemes, etc. The sheer ammount of spells and adaptability you need in that game simply CAN NOT be done on a controller. Add on the fact that it requires exhorbant ammounts of bandwidth, the monthly fees, etc and you'd be hard pressed to find console gamers willing to cope with that. MMORPG games are great, PC game sales are perfectly fine, and you're wrong.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Vandalvideo
UT3,Crysis and COD4 are selling like crap on the PC Truffle-Shuffle
Because PC gamers hate when developers bring them casualized crap. Oh, and you can't say Crysis is selling bad because you don't have the online distribution numbers.
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts
[QUOTE="aliblabla2007"][QUOTE="robflores370"]

robflores370

:roll: not worth the effort, Im not even PC-only... unlike you being console only, so you are more likely to be just anti-PC, than me elitist ... what the hell is an PC elitist anyway, couldnt I say the same about Lemmings/Cows/Sheep? :I

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#66 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5676 Posts
That's the crazy part, many of us PC Gamers game on consoles as well. I don't think many of these anti-pc lunatics understand this.
crozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 crozon

yeah call of duty 4 is selling like crap on the pc......i mean on game-monitor it says there are 30,800 people playing online and someone posted that when he checked there were 14,000 people on xbox live........wait hold on a sec, seems more people are playing the pc version online, hmm not full proof but it seems the pc version did sell a lot.

on a side note as for the dev. saying alot of people playing online are using a pirate key, i don't buy that. its one of the easiest things to ban. can anyone here confirm if you can play cod4 online with a pirated key.

also crysis is selling well in europe. most retail shops in the uk have crysis in the top 5 pc selling game charts. crysis is one of the best selling pc games in japan (not saying much, they don't like pc games) and ea said crysis is one of their successes stories.

UT3 sales could be better judging by how many players are online. then again no one has given us the ps3 sales figures for said game.

crozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 crozon

on a side note, i started gaming proper on consoles (nintendo 64 and the original playstation), i have a ps2, and am in the process of deciding what console to get a 360 or a ps3.

if you asked what my fav platform is then i would say pc, simply because i play rts games, simulations like il2, flight sim x, gtr2 etc, and i enjoy trying out mods. and i am a self confessed graphics whore

flowdee79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69 flowdee79
Member since 2007 • 4483 Posts
PC gaming is good but it still doesn't warrant a purchase from me
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts
Very nice post, TC. Took lots of time I assume, but it was worth it I see.
Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#71 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts

After reading the artcile wich states that the retailers make twice as much on used games do you guys realise how much more online sales are worth to publishers than retail?

Used sale price= $55

Consumer Credit= $20

Total Profit= $55-$20; $35

Profit from retail= $35/2=$17.5 (for gamestop)

Publisher Profit= $60-$17.5-$10(to MS*); $32.5- $? (hard copy costs)

*I assume its $10 because of the price difference between PC and Xbox360 games here, however some Xbox360 games go for $69.99, so I can't really state how much money goes to the console manufacturer.

If you look at it through margins it is even more significant

Gamestop margin= 1/2($35/$55); 32%

Gamestop's take= $60x.32; $19.2

Publisher Profit= $60-$19.2-$10; $30.8 -$? (hard copy costs)

It is safe to say that for publishers an online sale is worth twice as much. There are also rumors that for developers like Valve that can have a no publisher at all making three times as much. However keep in mind that I did not factor in how much the online distribution stores charge the publisher, ofcourse running servers is not that expensive so I would say that it varies.

EDIT: One of the big reasons Nvidea sales were u was do to their succes in the laptop onboard and discreet GPU market, however I am also sure that their 8000 cards crushed ATI's 2000 series, they were also named forbes company of the year, and I doubt it was because the $10 integrated chips sold so well.

Arsuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Arsuz
Member since 2003 • 2318 Posts

Thanks to everyone for keeping the trolls at bay while I was gone. I fixed the typo in the first paragraph, I'm very sorry for that. Don't know how it slipped by me.

Arsuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Arsuz

Truffle-Shuffle, I put some comments from you under one quote, as they all seem to say the exact same thing. I hope you don't mind. Nothing is out of context.

Great post but PC gaming is dying and will be wiped out by consoles in the future due to piracy
duh, maybe you should educate yourself and look at sales. Hermits claim PC gaming is so popular in Europe but can't come up with any sales numbers(bu bu the digital distribution bull).
If PC gaming had to depend on Europe to survive you might as well kiss it goodbye

UT3,Crysis and COD4 are selling like crap on the PC
Truffle-Shuffle

Well you asked for the sales, here they are. These are the software sales in Germany in the week ending December 30th and the first week of 2008:

From http://www.next-gen.biz/

Week ending December 30th

1. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
2. Mario & Sonic at the Olympics (Wii)
3. More Brain Training with Dr Kawashima (DS)
4. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PC)
5. Dr Kawashima's Brain Training (DS)
6. New Super Mario Bros (DS)
7. Need for Speed ProStreet (PS2)
8. SingStar: Apres Ski (PS2)
9. Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)
10. FIFA 08 (PS2)

Week ending January 7th

Germany

01. More Brain Training from Dr. Kawashima (DS)
02. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
03. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii)
04. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PC)
05. Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day (DS)
06. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)
07. Mario Party DS (DS)
08. Need for Speed ProStreet (PS2)
09. Dr Kawashima's Brain Training (DS)
10. World of Warcraft (PC)

Both weeks CoD4 for the PC was on top. The 360 and PS3 version are nowhere to be seen. The rest of the charts is total Nintendomination. So to say that PC-software sales are bad in Germany, you also have to agree that x360 and PS3 sales are abysmal.
Oh and before you come screaming "You base your conclusions on just 2 weeks of sales data!" keep in mind that you have based you "PC is dying because of bad sales" on only two software titles that sold less than expected in the US.

Also, at the time of posting HellGate London and Crysis are both in the top 10 best seller on Amazon.de:
http://amazon.de/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=pd_ts_vg_nav

If PC gaming had to depend on Europe to survive you might as well kiss it goodbyeTruffle-Shuffle

Don't downplay the second biggest market. Germany alone has 82,000,000 inhabitants.

PC MP always gets hacked to the point that there isn't any reason to play the games.
Truffle-Shuffle

You are greatly exaggerating. In my 10 years as PC gamer I have seen two hackers. There are services that prevent hacking like Punkbuster ans Valve Anticheat. Also, pc online games give you a broad choice of servers. Most of them with admin supervision who take care of anyone trolling or hacking.

as far as console games being downloaded it's far less worse than it is for any PC title
At least MS ban people with modded 360's from XBL, too bad they can't do the same for PC gamers
Truffle-Shuffle

I assure you that you can find just as many console games as PC games on any torrent site. Companies actually do go after illegal copies. For example

http://3dgpu.com/archives/2004/11/23/shacknews-news-story/
http://shacknews.com/onearticle.x/34988

The rest of your posting is just mindless bantering, so I'm not going to bother.

I still could NOT care less about 99% of PC games and therefore I'm still not going to admit that PC is better for me. ZIMdoom

And you're totally entitled to your opinion! You don't have to admit anything. That's not the reason of this post. I'm not saying PC-gaming is better as a fact, I'm just saying it's not dying.

That's the crazy part, many of us PC Gamers game on consoles as well. I don't think many of these anti-pc lunatics understand this.mismajor99

Yes I'm having great time with my Wii. My first console in 10 years!
Zaxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Zaxro
Member since 2007 • 449 Posts
Very good post TC. Nice to read something intelligent on SW.
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#75 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
thats not bad, pc gaming could live on just by using mods if u ask me.....im not really amazed by the players online....everytime i log onto xbl to play some halo 3.....there is usually 300k+ users on halo
Arsuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Arsuz

thats not bad, pc gaming could live on just by using mods if u ask me.....im not really amazed by the players online....everytime i log onto xbl to play some halo 3.....there is usually 300k+ users on halo Dante2710

That's a VERY impressive number I must admit, however, do you think that there are many other games that even manage to break 10K? This thread is not about online activity though. I just used online activity to deduce an estimate of the total number of players.

Frozzik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Frozzik
Member since 2006 • 3914 Posts

thats not bad, pc gaming could live on just by using mods if u ask me.....im not really amazed by the players online....everytime i log onto xbl to play some halo 3.....there is usually 300k+ users on halo Dante2710

What u have to realise is the 360 has probably 3 major online fps games at the moment, CoD4, Halo 3 and maybe TF2. The pc has so so many more.

zipozal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 zipozal
Member since 2007 • 1809 Posts

[QUOTE="Dante2710"]thats not bad, pc gaming could live on just by using mods if u ask me.....im not really amazed by the players online....everytime i log onto xbl to play some halo 3.....there is usually 300k+ users on halo Arsuz

That's a VERY impressive number I must admit, however, do you think that there are many other games that even manage to break 10K? This thread is not about online activity though. I just used online activity to deduce an estimate of the total number of players.

10k is actually garbage for big name games like COD4, but it's ok because your numbers are complete utter garbage, or I should say Gamespys are which are massively off.

If you goto gametracker.com you would actually see that COD4 is the most popular PC game right now

According to them their are 2750 servers in COD4 right now with players on them, this does not include bots (though does COD4 even have em?)

That doesn't even factor in the fact that only about half, maybe even less of COD4's servers are actually tracked by gametracker because for gametracker to even track your server you have to setup with them.

So in reality their are around 6000 servers in COD 4 right now with people playing and as you probably guessed by now gamespys numbers are completely worthless.

COD4 is in fact more popular the CS right now.

stunt73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 stunt73
Member since 2004 • 81 Posts

N1 post :)

Also have a look @ http://clanbase.ggl.com/news.php Pc gaming owns europe

Arsuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Arsuz

zipozal

:shock: IMPOSSIBLE! Well its quite possible. Thanks for the contribution. I'll put it up in the OP under your name.

crozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 crozon

here are some new chart news from germany and spain. got em of eurogamer.de

Deutschland

• 1. Dr. Kawashima: Mehr Gehirn-Jogging (DS)
  • 2. Wii Play (Wii)
  • 3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PC)
  • 4. World of Warcraft (PC)
  • 5. Mario Party DS (DS)
  • 6. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
  • 7. World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade (PC)
  • 8. SingStar: Apres Ski (PS2)
  • 9. Mario & Sonic bei den Olympischen Spielen (Wii)
  • 10. Augen-Training (DS)

Spanien

• 1. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PS3)
  • 2. Dr. Kawashima: Mehr Gehirn-Jogging (DS)
  • 3. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3)
  • 4. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PS2)
  • 5. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
  • 6. Dr. Kawashimas Gehirn-Jogging (DS)
  • 7. Assassin's Creed (PS3)
  • 8. New Super Mario Bros (DS)
  • 9. Big Brain Academy (Wii)
  • 10. Practice English (DS)

The PC and Nintendo doing good in Germany, Nintendo and PS3 doing well in Spain

So what have we learned, Nintendo is kicking everyones ar*e

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#82 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

zipozal

wrong,

there are only 2 reliable server trackers and those are Game-monitor.com and all-seeing eye. Both Counter Strike Source and Counter Strike 1.6 thrash CoD4 in terms of people playing online on the PC.

For comparisons these are the numbers for Halo 3. Nobody touches Counter Strike (mainly because of the huge networks Counter Strike 1.6 has in China)

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#83 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
China has some online players. Probably most of them are PC gamers.