An analysis of the state of PC-gaming. Pretty good read!

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Arsuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Arsuz
Member since 2003 • 2318 Posts

Dear system wars poster,

A small summary is available at the end of the thread but I urge you to read the whole thing!

Recent events in the industry, like the disappointing sales of Crysis, and the abysmal reception of UT3, in the US have caused quite a stir in the world of system wars. For years now, the death of the PC as a gaming platform has been foretold by console owners, but now it seems to be getting worse. In fact, it has gone down hill so fast, that the time that PC-gamers rained supreme and were practically untouchable on these forums are nothing more but a distant fading memory. The fact that more and more developers seem to port their PC projects over to the consoles, doesn't help either.

Now that the "overpriced" argument has lost its strength, due to the introduction of the pricey PS3, most PC-bashers have put all their money on the "abysmal sales" argument. Microsoft once touted that there are over 200 milion PC gamers. However, this argument is quite useless as the average poster here will immediately write it off by saying that this number also includes solitaire players. And quite right they would be. It is quite hard to figure out the number of "real" PC-gamers because sales data of high-en video cards are not readily available. It can be however noted that for their 2007 fiscal year Nvidia has reported record revenue:

http://www.iminers.com/render.php?eid=81872811&symbol=NVDA&whichmodule=portal

Still this number doesn't quite clarify how much of this revenue is due to gamers. However, it must be noted, that most companies use Intel Integrated chips for their company computers, so we can assume that a very large part is because of sales of gamer cards. This shows that there is a market for PC-gaming hardware, but there are also games! US sales have disappointed the last couple of years, but US has never been the primary market for PC gaming. However, only sales estimates of sales exist outside the US, so I'm not going to post this, but if you have followed these, you might have noticed that, for example, COD4 PC has outsold the X360 and PS3 version in Germany, which is by NO means a small market.

So due to the lack of real factual data I'm going to take a look at the activity of PC games.

"PC-gamers only play WoW" is an often heard counter argument when some PC gamer posts up the impressive numbers of active WoW-subscribers. Another one thrown around is "PC is only good for MMO's!". My first argument doesn't quite debunk this myth. Read on!

The following chart is taken from http://mmogdata.voig.com/

It shows us an amazing growth in the MMO genre. From the humble player numbers when the first MMO's came out up till the end of 2007. By October 2007 there were more than 35 million active subscriptions. That's 35 million! About the same amount of people actively plays MMO's as there are people who own all three consoles. A more thorough breakdown of the different games can be found on the website. Of course a lot of these players are not the cliche wow-addicts, but also play other games!

There is however more to PC gaming than MMO's. Another popular genre is of course the FPS. For this we first take a look at one of the biggest PC-gaming communities. Let's see what the STEAM-users are up to:

http://steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=stats&cc=NL

Game Current Players

Counter-Strike 119,250
Counter-Srike: Source 55,380
Counter-Strike Condition Zero 14,348
Fortress 2 12,439
Day of Defeat: Source 4,582
Day of Defeat 3,422
Half-Life DeathMatch 2,169
Half-Life 2: Deathmatch 2,040

At the moment of posting there are 215,000 people playing. The numbers are update every hour, so keep in mind that this is not the total amount of players. To get an idea of how many active STEAM-users there are, we can take a look at the original Counter-Strike. There are 9.686 billion player minutes per month for this game as can be seen in the link. Let's assume that every CS-player is a hardcore player and plays 5 hours a day. This is very high estimate! Let us also assume that they play 25 days every month, so that's a total of 125 hours a month! 9.686 billion minutes is 0.1614 billion hours. If we divide this 0.1614 bilion hours by the amount our average hardcore cs-player plays we get the estimated number of total players: 0.1614 billion / 125 = 1.3 million players. Again keep in mind that this number is probably much higher because the estimate that cs-players play 125 hours a month is very high!

So there appear to be 1.3 million CS-players online. Furthermore the top 3 STEAM games are all CS. This could of course be used as a counter argument: "PC-gamers only play WoW and CS!". Not necessarily true. A lot of PC-gamers may be stagnant, and are playing the same game for 10 years, but who's to say they don't play other games? It only shows that the community is thriving. As you can see DOD and TF2 are quite popular as well. Not nearly as popular as CS, but who are we to judge the millions of people who have dedicated their lives to it? If anyone can find the number of players for TF2 360, that would be an excellent contribution to this thread and my argument as I'm quite sure they are lower.

So what else is there to do on the PC besides MMO's and STEAM games. A lot according to gamespy:

http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/

1. Half Life 91974 players
2. Half Life 2 40978 players
3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 8222 players
4. Battlefield 2 8038 players
5. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 6934 players
6. Unreal Tournament 2004 3710 players
7. Battlefield 2142 1477 servers
8. Quake 3: Arena 2132 players
9. Enemy Territory: Quake Wars 1618 players
10. Call of Duty 1565 players

Impressive numbers if you ask me. Again we see that VALVe games are on top, but this is due to the massive popularity of CS. Also the figures are different that the previous seen chart, as the stats are probably taken on different occasions. You can also see large activity for UT2004. Maybe this is the reason UT3 didn't do so well. Keep in mind that most games can't be played on-line without a legit copy! So most players probably just bought the game. More online games can be found in the link. Keep in mind that Gamespy doesn't track all of them. So there are more!

Reader zipozal had the following to say about the Gamespy numbers:

10k is actually garbage for big name games like COD4, but it's ok because your numbers are complete utter garbage, or I should say Gamespys are which are massively off.

If you goto gametracker.com you would actually see that COD4 is the most popular PC game right now

According to them their are 2750 servers in COD4 right now with players on them, this does not include bots (though does COD4 even have em?)

That doesn't even factor in the fact that only about half, maybe even less of COD4's servers are actually tracked by gametracker because for gametracker to even track your server you have to setup with them.

So in reality their are around 6000 servers in COD 4 right now with people playing and as you probably guessed by now gamespys numbers are completely worthless.

COD4 is in fact more popular the CS right now.

So, what have we learned? The PC-gaming online community is thriving! But this is just the online part! There are of course several offline games available, but sadly they are much harder to track.

In short:

Nvidia reports a record revenue for fiscal 2007

There are 35 million MMO-players around the world.

Surely a large part of this 35 million also plays other games!

There are at LEAST 2 million active STEAM-gamers around the world (A VERY low estimate).

Other online games are very popular as well with several thousands of players at any moment!

Old games are popular, but they still show that the PC community is thriving.

We musn't forget single player games, which can't be estimated that easily. Single player games should double the amount of PC-gamers!

And the last thing I'm going to do, is post a link to the EPIC PC 2008 games thread. Just to show support is not dying!

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25632718

Arsuz

crozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 crozon
Member since 2003 • 1180 Posts

Great post mate.

What would be great is if someone can let us know how the digital distribution system is working out.

Shazenab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Shazenab
Member since 2004 • 3413 Posts
Great post, but the growth in MMOs concern me if anything (from a social stand point).
EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts
Excellent Post
Arsuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Arsuz

Great post mate.

What would be great is if someone can let us know how the digital distribution system is working out.

crozon

Thanks, if we could only have access to number of games sold through STEAM. I think that would be a good indication. Sadly I wasn't able to find any.

Arsuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Arsuz

Great post, but the growth in MMOs concern me if anything (from a social stand point).Shazenab

That might very be true, but that's a discussion for another time.

Excellent PostEPaul

Thank you.

I have to go now, got an exam in 2 hours. I'll be back afterwards to give responses.

crozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 crozon

is there a way to find out how many gamers are playing games online right now on the 360 and ps3.

hamidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hamidious
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts
Beautiful man, way to silence the consolite die-hards. The funny thing is, I read it all and enjoyed the read.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Great post. An average CS player probably plays 1-3 hours every day. I used to play CS:S for 20 hours a week, but during the past six months, I haven't played it at all.
aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
I agree with everything there but "Crysis has dissapointing sales".
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Great post, nice work - very comprehensive.

Will bookmark for future referance.

Avatar image for Truffle-Shuffle
Truffle-Shuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Truffle-Shuffle
Member since 2007 • 455 Posts
Great post but PC gaming is dying and will be wiped out by consoles in the future due to piracy
aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 aliblabla2007

Great post but PC gaming is dying and will be wiped out by consoles in the future due to piracyTruffle-Shuffle

Why do consolites always say this?

PC gaming has been growing as is continuing to grow.

You complain about hermits repeating "Crysis has the best graphics of any game to date" while you yourselves repeat "PC gaming is dying". Only diff, the former is true and the latter is false.

Truffle-Shuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Truffle-Shuffle

[QUOTE="Truffle-Shuffle"]Great post but PC gaming is dying and will be wiped out by consoles in the future due to piracyaliblabla2007

You complain about hermits repeating "Crysis has the best graphics of any game to date" while you yourselves repeat "PC gaming is dying". Only diff, the former is true and the latter is false.

It's not growing it's going downhill

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 skrat_01

Great post but PC gaming is dying and will be wiped out by consoles in the future due to piracyTruffle-Shuffle
Console gaming is dying and will be wiped out be pre owned games and piracy.

Sad truth :cry:

Truffle-Shuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Truffle-Shuffle

[QUOTE="Truffle-Shuffle"]Great post but PC gaming is dying and will be wiped out by consoles in the future due to piracyskrat_01

duh, maybe you should educate yourself and look at sales.

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 aliblabla2007
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]

[QUOTE="Truffle-Shuffle"]Great post but PC gaming is dying and will be wiped out by consoles in the future due to piracyTruffle-Shuffle

Maybe you should take digital distribution into account....

Truffle-Shuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Truffle-Shuffle
[QUOTE="Truffle-Shuffle"][QUOTE="skrat_01"]

[QUOTE="Truffle-Shuffle"]Great post but PC gaming is dying and will be wiped out by consoles in the future due to piracyaliblabla2007

I wouldn't call PC gamers downloading games from a torrent site digital distribution

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 aliblabla2007
[QUOTE="aliblabla2007"]

[QUOTE="Truffle-Shuffle"]Great post but PC gaming is dying and will be wiped out by consoles in the future due to piracyTruffle-Shuffle

It's not growing it's going downhill

There are more Windows currently than there were console users last gen.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 skrat_01
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]

You mean the 1 BILLION console pre owned games cost the industry ever year

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8632&Itemid=2&limit=1&limitstart=0

Im sorry PC game piracy was how bad? Well not 1 billion bad.

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 aliblabla2007
[QUOTE="aliblabla2007"][QUOTE="Truffle-Shuffle"][QUOTE="skrat_01"]

I wouldn't call PC gamers downloading games from a torrent site digital distribution

I wouldn't call pulling things out of my ass facts.....

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

duh, maybe you should educate yourself and look at sales.Truffle-Shuffle

The only "sales" that support your claim are the retail sales figures for the United States.

Sales figures of most other countries prove you to be wrong. Not even mentioning the growth of digital distribution.

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

I wouldn't call PC gamers downloading games from a torrent site digital distributionTruffle-Shuffle

Apparently you're a full-time troll?

Clever, though. 8/10.

Truffle-Shuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Truffle-Shuffle
[QUOTE="Truffle-Shuffle"][QUOTE="aliblabla2007"][QUOTE="Truffle-Shuffle"][QUOTE="skrat_01"]

[QUOTE="Truffle-Shuffle"]aliblabla2007

I wouldn't call pulling things out of my ass facts.....

Denial Is Just another defense mechanism

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 aliblabla2007

Truffle-Shuffle

Employed all the time by consolites.....

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 skrat_01

Truffle-Shuffle
I guess thats why im still waiting for you to 'debunk' my post.
Truffle-Shuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Truffle-Shuffle
[QUOTE="Truffle-Shuffle"]

skrat_01

I got a life and don't feel like it

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 aliblabla2007
[QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="Truffle-Shuffle"]

Truffle-Shuffle

No, you're just a troll.

Truffle-Shuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Truffle-Shuffle
[QUOTE="Truffle-Shuffle"][QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="Truffle-Shuffle"]

aliblabla2007

No, you're just a troll.

Whenever somebody can't handle the truth they start with the troll comeback or fanboy bull

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 aliblabla2007
[QUOTE="aliblabla2007"][QUOTE="Truffle-Shuffle"][QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="Truffle-Shuffle"]

Truffle-Shuffle

No, you're just a troll.

Whenever somebody can't handle the truth they start with the troll comeback or fanboy bull

Whenever you can't handle a Pro-PC thread, you stereotype and post BS.

Truffle-Shuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Truffle-Shuffle
[QUOTE="Truffle-Shuffle"][QUOTE="aliblabla2007"][QUOTE="Truffle-Shuffle"][QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="Truffle-Shuffle"]

aliblabla2007

No, you're just a troll.

Whenever you can't handle a Pro-PC thread, you stereotype and post BS.

What BS? Piracy is far worse in the PC genre than it is for consoles and PC MP always gets hacked to the point that there isn't any reason to play the games.

Hermits claim PC gaming is so popular in Europe but can't come up with any sales numbers(bu bu the digital distribution bull).

If PC gaming had to depend on Europe to survive you might as well kiss it goodbye

crozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 crozon

heres a figure for you 35 million mmo players in the world. thats more than all the next gen consoles sold.

13 million steam users, thats more than xbox live and god knows how many are on the PS3 online thingy

have a look at amazon.de for how pc games sell compared to console games

and no we have no idea what sales of games on digital distribution are but the amount of sites coming up and games now available, it must be doing pretty good.

have a look at any torrent site and i am sure you'll see vast amount of console games been downloaded.

i think i made my point :)

PerfectGamer17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PerfectGamer17
Member since 2008 • 303 Posts
nice post indeed
crozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 crozon

another one for ya.

from bbc.co.uk talking about the new battlefield heroes game:

"The firm has a free version of its Fifa game in South Korea, earning more than $1m a month through in-game sales. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7199881.stm

why is it when they talk about so called bad pc game sales they don't include these little bits of useful info. remember thats 1million going straight to ea and cutting out the middlemen such as retail shops.

tcarruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 tcarruth
Member since 2005 • 926 Posts
stopped reading at "I strongly urge you to read the hole thing"... hardly an inspiring start was it?
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

another one for ya.

from bbc.co.uk talking about the new battlefield heroes game:

"The firm has a free version of its Fifa game in South Korea, earning more than $1m a month through in-game sales. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7199881.stm

why is it when they talk about so called bad pc game sales they don't include these little bits of useful info. remember thats 1million going straight to ea and cutting out the middlemen such as retail shops.

crozon

finally people coming with links showing that everyone in the media are complete biased idiots except for the BBC.

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

Nice but a waste of your time sadly.

Consolites are like sheep for the most part ( Generlization based on those around me & the SW people ... sorry. ).

The fad right now is online shooters, PC has had this for years, the ebst of the best being Half-Life, hence why they are now still the most played.

MMORPGS are the new PC fad, granted they have been around for years, but its the leading genre as of now, even genres like RTS are begginigng to take over FPS games .. FPS are not new to the PC ... its like the platformers of the consoles ... only a select few get excellent sales now.

So in come the sheep bragging about Call of Duty 4 "yay :roll:" and Halo 3 sales, yet all of a sudden StarCraft 2 & World of Warcraft : WOTLK wont count because they are blizzard ... i mean wtf? ... theres more than 1 fad per system ... FPS are old news.

Truffle-Shuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Truffle-Shuffle

heres a figure for you 35 million mmo players in the world. thats more than all the next gen consoles sold.

13 million steam users, thats more than xbox live and god knows how many are on the PS3 online thingy

and no we have no idea what sales of games on digital distribution are but the amount of sites coming up and games now available, it must be doing pretty good.

have a look at any torrent site and i am sure you'll see vast amount of console games been downloaded.

crozon

Your figures are basically bullcrap,

as far as console games being downloaded it's far less worse than it is for any PC title

At least MS ban people with modded 360's from XBL, too bad they can't do the same for PC gamers

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Meu2k7
[QUOTE="crozon"]

Truffle-Shuffle

as far as console games being downloaded it's far less worse than it is for any PC title

At least MS ban people with modded 360's from XBL, too bad they can't do the same for PC gamers

:lol: if you beleive that there are not ways to dodge banning, and you can only get banned if you connect to XBOXLIVE anyway ... see smart pirates would connect to Xboxlive? after all ... not event eh majority of console owners care about online as of yet.

Truffle-Shuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Truffle-Shuffle
[QUOTE="Truffle-Shuffle"][QUOTE="crozon"]

Meu2k7

:lol: if you beleive that there are not ways to dodge banning, and you can only get banned if you connect to XBOXLIVE anyway ... see smart pirates would connect to Xboxlive? after all ... not event eh majority of console owners care about online as of yet.

Halo 3 sales say otherwise. UT3,Crysis and COD4 are selling like crap on the PC

Halo 3 has sold 8.1 million copies

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Meu2k7
[QUOTE="Meu2k7"][QUOTE="Truffle-Shuffle"][QUOTE="crozon"]

Truffle-Shuffle

Burning Crusade has sold around that much by now, and not all that 8.1 million bought it for online .... your kidding youself.

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 aliblabla2007

What BS? Piracy is far worse in the PC genre than it is for consoles and PC MP always gets hacked to the point that there isn't any reason to play the games.

Hermits claim PC gaming is so popular in Europe but can't come up with any sales numbers(bu bu the digital distribution bull).

If PC gaming had to depend on Europe to survive you might as well kiss it goodbye

Truffle-Shuffle

You just posted false information with no backups.

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 aliblabla2007

Burning Crusade has sold around that much by now, and not all that 8.1 million bought it for online .... your kidding youself.

Meu2k7

How much advertisement did WOWBC get by comparison?

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts

[QUOTE="Meu2k7"]

aliblabla2007

How much advertisement did WOWBC get by comparison?

almost none compared to Halo 3.

KalEl370

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KalEl370
Member since 2007 • 907 Posts

The xbox 360 has a user base of about 17 million, and the PC has about 200 million according to most of you hermits....if that is true 8.1 million on the PC is not that impressive

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts
I still could NOT care less about 99% of PC games and therefore I'm still not going to admit that PC is better for me.
crozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 crozon

i am sure you are going to tell me how my figures are wrong. 13 million thats from valve, and 35million subscribers well thats off the original poster who got it off mmogdata website.

and can you give us the link for the halo 3 selling 8.1 million copies. however still not as good as 9million active subscribers to world of warcraft is it. thats what around $90million a month revenue, i am sure blizzard wish they made games only for the consoles :)

Truffle-Shuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Truffle-Shuffle
[QUOTE="Truffle-Shuffle"][QUOTE="Meu2k7"][QUOTE="Truffle-Shuffle"][QUOTE="crozon"] Meu2k7

Does it matter if they are playing it online? 8.1 million copies is a lot and how many people are playing WoW online since it's only a online game?

Keep lying to yourself that PC gaming isn't getting smashed and in time MMORPGs will be on consoles and most likely be more fun

Why would anyone have to even buy Wow when they can download it and sign up for 15 bucks a month to play that generic game?

gatorteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 gatorteen
Member since 2005 • 2760 Posts
Just take a look at Truffle-Shuffle sigs. Anti sony, anti japan, anti pc, and a super 360 fanboy.