Alienware X51 Vs. the Next gen consoles...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts
So I have wondering how the X51 stacks up against the PS4 and Next XBOX in terms of processing power, visuals and overall gaming capabilities. I am in no way a hardcore PC gamer and have absolutely NO interest in building a PC and investing time in this part and that part. However, when I consider that almost every single major 3rd party game is available on the consoles and PC, the X51 kind of makes some sense considering the price point is very close to what I feel the PS4 and next XBOX will be.
NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
Lol @ alienware
NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

which version of the X51? Cause if you are getting the entry level one the answer is PS4.  Either way alienware isn't worth it.  They cost too much.  Don't be a novice and build your own rig.  With the money you would have given them you could build something twice as good.

Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
Lol @ alienwareNEWMAHAY
cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

Ugh, Alienware? Guy, if you're looking for a small form factor PC get an iBuyPower Revolt:

Revolt.jpg

http://www.ibuypower.com/info/revolt/home.aspx

A Falcon Northwest Tikki

tiki-glossblack-hi.jpg

http://www.falcon-nw.com/desktops/tiki

or the Digital Storm Bolt

digital-storm-bolt-full-angle-800x600.jp

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadbolt.asp?id=734513&price=%24999

AVOID ALIENWARE LIKE THE PLAGUE!!! They're unbelievably overpriced. You could get a seriously decked out Revolt for far cheaper than an Alienware.

iBuy Power is the most affordable

Falcon Northwest charges quite a bit

and Digital Storm is a little pricey, but not ridiculously so.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
[QUOTE="NEWMAHAY"]Lol @ alienwareBadosh

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

So I have wondering how the X51 stacks up against the PS4 and Next XBOX in terms of processing power, visuals and overall gaming capabilities. I am in no way a hardcore PC gamer and have absolutely NO interest in building a PC and investing time in this part and that part. However, when I consider that almost every single major 3rd party game is available on the consoles and PC, the X51 kind of makes some sense considering the price point is very close to what I feel the PS4 and next XBOX will be.ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Are you fvcking kidding me?

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cfisher2833

If you get the Revolt, make sure to upgrade to at least the 660ti, the 500w power supply, and get 8Gb of RAM. 

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Console gamers will say pick console

PC gamers will say build your own, alienware rip you off

[/thread]

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Jesus no. If you want a gaming PC, just build one. It's literally like putting lego together.

If you want something just as strong as a PS4 then I suggest just buyign a PS4, it will likely run games similarly and you get exclusives on top of that.

And also Alienware suck for the price

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cfisher2833

Jesus no. If you want a gaming PC, just build one. It's literally like putting lego together.

If you want something just as strong as a PS4 then I suggest just buyign a PS4, it will likely run games similarly and you get exclusives on top of that.

seanmcloughlin

I am assuming he just wants something in a small form factor akin to a console, and let's be honest, it's a bitch building those kind of rigs unless you have little baby hands. I would much rather simply buy something like the Revolt rather than go through the hassle of building one that's that small. The smallest case I would ever even try to build a rig in would be the Bitfenix Prodigy. It's just too much of a hassle to do anything smaller. 

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NFJSupreme

[QUOTE="NEWMAHAY"]Lol @ alienwareMotokid6
Lmao!@ alienware. ...Na dude get a ps4 if you don't want to piece together a computer. Which I highly recommend. Your local computer shop can build it for you for a good service price. I wouldve built mine, but I didn't have the time. My pc guy put it together, got it running, cleaned the bs out and overclocked it for me for $150. Knowing how to build a computer is pricless however. It's part of the hobby. This way when something goes wrong or you want to upgrade you can do it yourself for only the cost of the part. It's something no console fan will ever understand. Owning a high end pc and gaming on it is only part of the hobby. Building and managing the pc is the other part. And its what makes the hobby. Again.. something no console fan will ever understand. Its like building your own custom car.

yep part of the fun is the tweaking.  I get just as much fun out of that as I do playing games.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

cfisher2833

I am assuming he just wants something in a small form factor akin to a console, and let's be honest, it's a bitch building those kind of rigs unless you have little baby hands. I would much rather simply buy something like the Revolt rather than go through the hassle of building one that's that small. The smallest case I would ever even try to build a rig in would be the Bitfenix Prodigy. It's just too much of a hassle to do anything smaller. 

Still though if he wants something the same price range and power as a console as well as form factor then buying a console seems like the better option. If you're gonna half ass PC gaming then it's not really worth it TBH, consoles are far easier to work

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cfisher2833

[QUOTE="cfisher2833"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

seanmcloughlin

Still though if he wants something the same price range and power as a console as well as form factor then buying a console seems like the better option. If you're gonna half ass PC gaming then it's not really worth it TBH, consoles are far easier to work

I don't really think it's half-assing it. Shit, I just played around with the customization options for the Revolt, and you're barely paying anything for the assembly costs. You have to pay something of course, but you're hardly getting shafted. 

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NFJSupreme

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

cfisher2833

i plan on building a small form factor "console killer" next year.  My rig is already better than the PS4 but i want to move it back to my desk and have my "console killer" connected to my TV instead.  I like building and fixing stuff though so I'm up for the challenge.  I'm just waiting for the next gen graphics cards to come out.  

crapbox720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 crapbox720
Member since 2013 • 46 Posts
Lol @ alienwareNEWMAHAY
alienware x51 is better
PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts
[QUOTE="NEWMAHAY"]Lol @ alienwarecrapbox720
alienware x51 is better

Oh yeah how? "is better" great fuking argument you have there. You can build an alienware spec'd PC for far cheaper. Alienware put's pretty lights on things and morons buy it because they think it looks cool...
crapbox720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 crapbox720
[QUOTE="crapbox720"][QUOTE="NEWMAHAY"]Lol @ alienwarePCgameruk
alienware x51 is better

Oh yeah how? "is better" great fuking argument you have there. You can build an alienware spec'd PC for far cheaper. Alienware put's pretty lights on things and morons buy it because they think it looks cool...

You cant built the exact same pc. You can upgrade the cpu and memory and video card in the alienware x51. unlike 720 or ps4 it's a hell of alot better
AcidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AcidThunder
Member since 2010 • 2332 Posts
nah. the base model won't run shit. Alienware PC's are bad. you are better off building your own PC. or just buy a PS4 or the next XBOX.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Lol @ alienwareNEWMAHAY
crapbox720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 crapbox720
nah. the base model won't run shit. Alienware PC's are bad. you are better off building your own PC. or just buy a PS4 or the next XBOX.AcidThunder
lies my single core athlon 64 from 2004 run any game out there today. All you need is better video card on the x51 base model.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
[QUOTE="crapbox720"][QUOTE="NEWMAHAY"]Lol @ alienwarePCgameruk
alienware x51 is better

Who is the old lady in your sig?
AcidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AcidThunder
[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="PCgameruk"][QUOTE="crapbox720"] alienware x51 is better

Who is the old lady in your sig?

you don't know Queen Elizabeth?
AcidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AcidThunder
[QUOTE="AcidThunder"]nah. the base model won't run shit. Alienware PC's are bad. you are better off building your own PC. or just buy a PS4 or the next XBOX.crapbox720
lies my single core athlon 64 from 2004 run any game out there today. All you need is better video card on the x51 base model.

yeah and that upgrading to that better card will cost you even more money which will take it completely out of the PS4's price range. you could build your own PC for a lot cheaper. and seriously why the fvck are you defending Alienware?
crapbox720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 crapbox720
[QUOTE="crapbox720"][QUOTE="AcidThunder"]nah. the base model won't run shit. Alienware PC's are bad. you are better off building your own PC. or just buy a PS4 or the next XBOX.AcidThunder

yeah and that upgrading to that better card will cost you even more money which will take it completely out of the PS4's price range. you could build your own PC for a lot cheaper. and seriously why the fvck are you defending Alienware?

Because if u still had a alienware x51 id be a better game experience than ps4 or 720. The alienware x51 can also do a hell of alot more than ps4/720 so you cant compare the price lol
AcidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AcidThunder
[QUOTE="crapbox720"][QUOTE="AcidThunder"][QUOTE="crapbox720"] lies my single core athlon 64 from 2004 run any game out there today. All you need is better video card on the x51 base model.

Because if u still had a alienware x51 id be a better game experience than ps4 or 720. The alienware x51 can also do a hell of alot more than ps4/720 so you cant compare the price lol

don't you get the point? you can build a custom PC that is more powerful than the X51 for cheap.
jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts
Lol @ alienwareNEWMAHAY
Lazer-Sniper51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lazer-Sniper51
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
@haters, shut up. You don't know anything about the X51! Heck, your most likely just jealous that you cant afford or have an alienware. All three of these machines will run between $500-600. On topic, I own an X51(2nd tier). Its a very powerful beast for what it is. It will easily outperform both the PS4 and the Xbox720 (or whatever its going to be called). @OP, the X51 easily runs new games(Battlefield 3, crysis 2, etc) on high settings at high resolutions at very playable FPS amounts. Even the base version of the X51 will out perform both those consoles. The GPU in the X51 is a OEM version and not retail version(GDDRM 5 not retail GDDRM 3). The base GPU they use is about on par as a GTX 650.
crapbox720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 crapbox720
[QUOTE="AcidThunder"][QUOTE="crapbox720"][QUOTE="AcidThunder"] yeah and that upgrading to that better card will cost you even more money which will take it completely out of the PS4's price range. you could build your own PC for a lot cheaper. and seriously why the fvck are you defending Alienware?

don't you get the point? you can build a custom PC that is more powerful than the X51 for cheap.

You gotta build it some people might not feel like it or dont know how too.
Lazer-Sniper51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lazer-Sniper51
[QUOTE="Motokid6"][QUOTE="Lazer-Sniper51"]@haters, shut up. You don't know anything about the X51! Heck, your most likely just jealous that you cant afford or have an alienware. All three of these machines will run between $500-600. On topic, I own an X51(2nd tier). Its a very powerful beast for what it is. It will easily outperform both the PS4 and the Xbox720 (or whatever its going to be called). @OP, the X51 easily runs new games(Battlefield 3, crysis 2, etc) on high settings at high resolutions at very playable FPS amounts. Even the base version of the X51 will out perform both those consoles. The GPU in the X51 is a OEM version and not retail version(GDDRM 5 not retail GDDRM 3). The base GPU they use is about on par as a GTX 650.

To each his own man. Just know and understand that you overpaid and didnt gain the experience and knowledge. And don't dare to pretend that anyone is jealous of Alienware owners. That's just a f***ing insult you child.

Hahaha! Nice vocabulary you have there. Now troll, Just stop being jealous and go crawl back into your small corner over there. I know how to build PCs but the X51 is a really good value. And also just stop with your bias. If you were "experienced and knowledgeable " then you would know that the consoles are way weaker then the X51.
Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

LOL @ Windows PC. It's only getting worse for PC.

Start+screen.png

Lazer-Sniper51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lazer-Sniper51

Mr_BillGates
There is windows 7 on the X51! LOL, at the people who want to game on a mac.
Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts
[QUOTE="Mr_BillGates"]

Lazer-Sniper51
There is windows 7 on the X51! LOL, at the people who want to game on a mac.

Who runs outdated Windows 7 anyways. Get with the times and stop holding back PC gaming.
Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Alienware.

[spoiler] pY2sPq9.gif [/spoiler]

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#39 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

I love how no one answered his question. Ask a question, get 100 different answers without answering the topic. Only in System Wars.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

A PC is the obvisouly more cost effective strategy over the PS4, assuming you need a new PC anyway.

Cost of new lame laptop + PS4 > than a small for factor gamign PC. And the small for factor gaming PC will do what a lame laptop does, only better/faster, AND it'll play 95% of the PS4 library anyway. The other 5% of exclusives, you can try in 4 years when you can get a PS4 cheap, or who knows, it's likely that you'll be able to stream the exclusives to a smart TV or PC in the future anyway.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

Start+screen.png

Mr_BillGates

indeed its disgusting what microsoft is doing. Its one of the biggest reasons i don't want to build a new pc. I dont want to pay for an awful os but at the same time i don't want to use an older dated os that wont be supported as well.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#42 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

[QUOTE="NEWMAHAY"]Lol @ alienwareBadosh

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

Start+screen.png

Mr_BillGates
I think it looks great, and if you don't have eyes, the desktop button is at lower left.
Dreamcast86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Dreamcast86
Member since 2013 • 296 Posts
Its not DRM, so yes.
Dave_NBF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Dave_NBF
Member since 2005 • 1974 Posts

I have an AW laptop but they are the best gaming notebooks; even better than the Sagers you get from resellers.  The cooling and components are top notch.  Their desktops are a bit different.  They aren't as high end when compared to companies like Ibuypower et al.  Way too many people on here who have never built a PC just are conditioned to say "build one."  I have built many PCs and honestly I will never build one again for the following reasons:

1. Time is money and I am a busy professional.  I don't have time to go through all the component testing and RMA once I isolate a problem. Each component has a warranty but you have to RMA based on each component's warranty.

2. It's nice to get a custom PC from a company that does good work and isn't super expensive. Ibuypower is very reasonable with price.

Now as much as AW desktops are overpriced, they also have great 20-30% off coupons every few months.  You can also go through Dell Outlet if you are in the states.  I have thousands of posts in other desktop/notebook forums and basically it's very common practice at gamespot for people to just ay "build one" but they have never actually built one themselves.  While it's not hard, it is time consuming and in many cases, when soemthing goes wrong, it's a bit tedious to have to troubleshoot on your own.  Building is really only advised if you have the time, enjoy building things, and are on a strict budget and looking for the best ROI. 

Generally I would recommend: an average i7 CPU as they are ridiculously fast.  A single solution mid-upper tier GPU is more than enough for 1080p gaming.  SLI is mainly needed for high resolution/multiple monitors.  Invest upfront on a great chipset, a top notch powersupply and case.  The CPU/GPU can be upgraded with little to no hassle. 

I hope this helps.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 cfisher2833

[QUOTE="Mr_BillGates"]

Start+screen.png

osirisx3

indeed its disgusting what microsoft is doing. Its one of the biggest reasons i don't want to build a new pc. I dont want to pay for an awful os but at the same time i don't want to use an older dated os that wont be supported as well.

You can still buy Windows 7 (both the regular and OEM versions) on sites like Newegg. It's not as if there aren't any more copies floating around. You hardly have to use Windows 8 if you're building a new PC, although you may want to as benchmarks have shown that games tend to have better base FPS with Windows 8 (the max FPS is usually the same). There's also some cheap programs that give you back the start menu. Teksyndicate went over it in detail in one of their vids. 

BTW--How the hell has no one commented about the f**ing badass looking small form factor PCs I brought up!? I want to hear experices from people with those computers god damn it!! :x