Again bad news : XSS Lower Specs Will Make it Hard for Graphically Intensive Games to Hold up

• 95 results
loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 loudheadphones
Member since 2023 • 1102 Posts

https://gamingbolt.com/xbox-series-s-lower-specs-will-make-it-hard-for-graphically-intensive-games-to-hold-up-caverns-of-mars-recharged-dev

According to Caverns of Mars: Recharged’s game designer and producer Tadas Migauskas, however, the Xbox Series S is going to struggle as we get deeper into the generation. Speaking in a recent interview with GamingBolt, Migauskas said that owing to its lower computation power and memory, it will be unable to keep up with games’ technical demands as it gets older, and that it’s unlikely to be able to consistently deliver 1440p/60 FPS games the way Microsoft promised at the time of its unveiling it would.
“Short answer – no,” he said. “If we take the (flawed) metric of FLOPS and compare Xbox Series X to Xbox Series S, you get a 3x difference in GPU computation power. Most of the current games use deferred pipelines, so rendered pixel count can translate to computation complexity pretty directly. Now, if we take the expected resolution targets for both consoles, we get a difference of 2.25x. Add that to lower available memory size, and it gets pretty hard to keep up.”
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#3 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34682 Posts

Wait. Are you saying hardware will get worse with the passing of time?

Well, I'm shocked.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3447 Posts

Omg this is very concerning! Usually I expect hardware to never get outdated. Thank god this alt delivered this very important and concerning information. Those who bought a Series S hoping it would eventually outperform the X should rethink their decision.

Mind-blowing really, no one saw that coming. I thought it was a April's Fools joke for a second.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts

Yeah that's pretty much expected. By end of gen I suspect the XSS will be playing most games at 1080P 30FPS. Probably upscaled to 1080P to from 720P or 900P.

It'll be a similar story for the PS5 and XSX i suspect. Most games will probably render internally at 1080P or 1440P, using upscaling to get it at, or close to, 4K and let the TV do the rest.

Framerate will, as always, be a developer decision rather than a hardware limitation.

However to be clear: the specs of these consoles do not explain or excuse shoddy performance. They are a fixed spec and a known quantity.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

In the past, consoles seemed to get better over time. Not literally, but devs got the most power out of them towards the end of their life cycle. Series S sounds like it'll be the exception.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59088 Posts

Most games need a microscope to notice the difference these days.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#9 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69864 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

it’s unlikely to be able to consistently deliver 1440p/60 FPS games the way Microsoft promised at the time of its unveiling it would

It already can't, and doesn't just drop resolution and frame rate, but also detail and effects

Some machines advertise 8k on the box.😎

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1257 Posts

Most games today are just 360 games with better graphics , and most people don't seem to care about 60 fps so ... eh.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#11 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17837 Posts

@osan0 said:

Yeah that's pretty much expected. By end of gen I suspect the XSS will be playing most games at 1080P 30FPS. Probably upscaled to 1080P to from 720P or 900P.

It'll be a similar story for the PS5 and XSX i suspect. Most games will probably render internally at 1080P or 1440P, using upscaling to get it at, or close to, 4K and let the TV do the rest.

Framerate will, as always, be a developer decision rather than a hardware limitation.

However to be clear: the specs of these consoles do not explain or excuse shoddy performance. They are a fixed spec and a known quantity.

Frame rate is a decision based around the hardware limitation. Developers have to scope their games around the hardware. Anyway, XSS was shit from the get go.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

I love watching the lems here make up why the failing xbses is a good thing

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2555 Posts

I enjoy watching the hardcore Lems twist themselves into knots over defending the Series S. This topic is such a “well duh” but some folks fandom doesn’t allow them to come to grips with reality.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11162 Posts

Xbox Series S is going to struggle as we get deeper into the generation

It already has to hit potato mode to sustain any kind of performance now. And this is going to be most people's Starfield box. Yikes!

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Damn,the ps5 is gonna struggle,the series s has double the 120fps games.

And as everyone knows FPS is king.

RIP ps5

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44322 Posts

Oh noes! 😱

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

@uninspiredcup: True, most games nowadays have good graphics in general. I can barely tell much difference between most systems nowadays, apart from nitpicking tiny details like “if you stare at the screen for 15 hours straight, you will notice that the Xbox version of the game has 0.017% more polygons in the grass”. Yeah, nobody cares.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

It is pretty entertaining watching the certain usual suspects defend this piece of crap.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 513 Posts

You get what you pay for. You buy cheaper products, don't be suprised when it doesn't have the performance or longevity of it's peers.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

Gens shit, don't care. I keep hearing excuses. "But bu bu cross gen" and "bu bu bu covid". Stfu it sucks... So what do I care about whether the Series S handles these games or not.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39261 Posts

The S is such a bad system that i think it was created by Sony, just so they can destroy the Xbox brand from the inside.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HalcyonScarlet

@hardwenzen: It's kinda popular, so how is it destroying them in your opinion? Serious question.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hardwenzen

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@hardwenzen: It's kinda popular, so how is it destroying them in your opinion? Serious question.

Its baiting in the average joe into buying an S over an X, and a few years down the line, there is so many S sold compared to the X, that everything made by Microsoft will be developed for the lowest common denominator. This is tragic.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15948 Posts

Ah well, its a choice to buy the last gen xbox series S over the PS5/X. Can't say I sympathize hope these last gen systems gets dropped soonest possible.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HalcyonScarlet

@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Its baiting in the average joe into buying an S over an X, and a few years down the line, there is so many S sold compared to the X, that everything made by Microsoft will be developed for the lowest common denominator. This is tragic.

But people like me would have never bought the X. This gen is shit now, two years ago it was worse. I wasn't spending over £400 to play last gen games a bit better.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hardwenzen
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

But people like me would have never bought the X. This gen is shit now, two years ago it was worse. I wasn't spending over £400 to play last gen games a bit better.

You care about low end gaming. Normal gamers don't. And 22fps vs 60fps in much better resolution is not "a bit better".

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3447 Posts

It's great that people who can't or won't afford going fully into next gen can still get to join in for $250 or so. I would never buy it but it's a great option and I would buy a Sony equivalent.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HalcyonScarlet

@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

You care about low end gaming. Normal gamers don't. And 22fps vs 60fps in much better resolution is not "a bit better".

Are you sure, both the Series S and the Switch continue to sell well.

And that literally is "just a bit better" in terms of gen on gen interest. It's the least exciting upgrade I can think of.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hardwenzen

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

And that literally is "just a bit better" in terms of gen on gen interest. It's the least exciting upgrade I can think of.

Yes i am very sure. What is your proof that the X is selling well compared to the S?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HalcyonScarlet
@girlusocrazy said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

But people like me would have never bought the X. This gen is shit now, two years ago it was worse.

That just sounds like you picked the wrong platform.

But you know games are changing too. There is more F2P, live events, service games, tastes are changing and games are changing with them. Also as games became more mainstream, things have changed in order to have broad appeal.

Maybe you don't align with the mainstream and you prefer more niche games. An Xbox console doesn't have as much of those since it is the least popular platform.

Would you be happier with a Steam Deck or digital PS5 or Switch?

I haven't regretted buying a Series S, I just have yet to find new releases as interesting as I did during the 7th and 8th gen, or even see that "next gen experience".

I have been considering a PS5 D. But I'm not sure yet.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HalcyonScarlet

@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:

Yes i am very sure. What is your proof that the X is selling well compared to the S?

From what I gather at least, the Series S is selling well, but the Series X is selling better compared to it. The only country in which the Series S ever sells better than the Series X is Japan. I doubt the Series S is the main selling unit.

gotgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gotgames
Member since 2022 • 476 Posts

Xbox S S should be taken off the market or change policies that all games should be able to run on it end of story

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By hardwenzen
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:

From what I gather at least, the Series S is selling well, but the Series X is selling better compared to it. The only country in which the Series S ever sells better than the Series X is Japan. I doubt the Series S is the main selling unit.

Your games will be built for the S instead of being built for the X. Forget competing with Sony for the graphics king.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HalcyonScarlet

@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Your games will be built for the S instead of being built for the X. Forget competing with Sony for the graphics king.

*shrugs

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11162 Posts

@gotgames said:

Xbox S S should be taken off the market or change policies that all games should be able to run on it end of story

The people who couldn't afford the X would screech about it to no end though. I personally think the S was a terrible idea, but abandoning it would screw over a lot of consumers. Microsoft made this bed and now they got to sleep in it

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16570 Posts

@hardwenzen: @BenjaminBanklin: you clowns 🤡 are hilarious. Same nonsense as usual. If not halo infinite, it's the series S. The series S that opened up next gen gaming and made it more accessible to more people than ever before.

It doesn't need 4k, 1080p, because even 720p is fantastic. Heck, 480p is fine too. Nintendo proved this, 3 gens in a row, with the wii, wii u, and switch.

People who do care about graphics, there's the Xbox series X, the most powerful next generation console on the market. 12 tflop >>> 9 tflop ( oc to 10.28)

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hardwenzen

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@hardwenzen: @BenjaminBanklin: you clowns 🤡 are hilarious. Same nonsense as usual. If not halo infinite, it's the series S. The series S that opened up next gen gaming and made it more accessible to more people than ever before.

It doesn't need 4k, 1080p, because even 720p is fantastic. Heck, 480p is fine too. Nintendo proved this, 3 gens in a row, with the wii, wii u, and switch.

People who do care about graphics, there's the Xbox series X, the most powerful next generation console on the market. 12 tflop >>> 9 tflop ( oc to 10.28)

Its nobody's fault MS gave us such failures. The S, Halo Infinite, Bonny Ross, etc. Only this company can showcase this much incompetence.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 HalcyonScarlet

@girlusocrazy said:

@HalcyonScarlet: It's not the same as when we had the 2D to 3D shift.

IMO VR is that type of thing right now. It's not going to replace TV gaming but it is compatible with a lot of games of that style, and also has that transformative feel of going from sprites to polygons.

With games in general there is much more that can be done with physics, but not many are pushing that kind of interactivity and object manipulation, or environmental displacement, etc.

When I first saw the specs of 8th gen consoles, I was excited. I thought "look at all the CPU resources" and "the game worlds are going to be huge with all that RAM". But they disappointingly just used those resources for high res textures, so on and so forth.

I think the fact that this gen was marketed as "a new gen" with "next gen experiences" gets me. Clearly it's not really a new gen. Unless they mean it, they need to stop using the words "gen" in my opinion.

I too was excited about these Zen 2 CPUs, but they aren't really being used in that way.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2948 Posts

@Litchie: I am shocked too. I mean Atomic Heart and RE4 Remake should run just fine on my Atari 2600, right?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34682 Posts

@pmanden said:

@Litchie: I am shocked too. I mean Atomic Heart and RE4 Remake should run just fine on my Atari 2600, right?

Yes, absolutely. Atari said all the games would run fine.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44158 Posts

Poo cows. lol :P

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9822 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1: Little puzzling that the guy who preaches about graphics plays all his games on a 1440p little monitor.

Series S would be perfect for him😅

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7210 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Xbox Series S is going to struggle as we get deeper into the generation

It already has to hit potato mode to sustain any kind of performance now. And this is going to be most people's Starfield box. Yikes!

yup I have a series s and im worried about starfield.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8874 Posts

@loudheadphones: Yawn.

Who's alt is this?

Isn't there a minimum post limit before one can make a thread?

Randy_Lahey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Randy_Lahey
Member since 2022 • 1803 Posts

@Pedro said:
@girlusocrazy said:

it’s unlikely to be able to consistently deliver 1440p/60 FPS games the way Microsoft promised at the time of its unveiling it would

It already can't, and doesn't just drop resolution and frame rate, but also detail and effects

The Touryst is 8k on PS5. Does Xbox have any 8k games?

oh wait you’re being disingenuous again. Most people with brains understand that both can do 8k outputs. I guess MS lying per usual since they have 0 8k games.

🤡

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By loudheadphones
Member since 2023 • 1102 Posts

@randy_lahey said:
@Pedro said:
@girlusocrazy said:

The Touryst is 8k on PS5. Does Xbox have any 8k games?

oh wait you’re being disingenuous again. Most people with brains understand that both can do 8k outputs. I guess MS lying per usual since they have 0 8k games.

🤡

That's an old chip. I think newer XSX APU doesn't have one 8K sign. But.... power your dreams

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hardwenzen

This thread has assembled every 🤡🤡🤡 lemming on SW

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#50 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69864 Posts

@loudheadphones:

Not only in gold but bigger than the 4K.😂

@randy_lahey:The Tourist outputs a 4k image you 🤡.