AAA cinematic action games are here to stay. Get over it.

• 135 results
Hawkeye44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1 Hawkeye44
Member since 2017 • 237 Posts

This is not 2007 anymore. Games have evolved. Slow low budget games with shitty graphics aren't going to cut anymore.

I really glad cinematic have become sony bread and butter, this gen would have been garbage without its exclusives.

Its no concidence that the console with cinematic focus is at 76 million while the others aren't even at 40m.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

We all like different types of games. I don't mind a cinematic game every now and then but it's not my preferred type of game, usually. There are games in this paradigm that I thoroughly enjoy though, depending on whether they count as part of this grouping like The Last of Us.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Ok

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

I love movies and I love games. So any blend of the two is going to excite me.

Seems the general public likes cinematic games too since the PS4 is on a roll and the type of games that get the most hype and sales these days are cinematic.

People crying over cinematic games "poisoning the industry" need to get with the times or go back in the 80s/90s.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

Yes, shit games have been around forever, so what?

Must be expensive paying $60 or more for something that mimics a film rental

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@quadknight: Except the games that get the most sales and hype are not cinematic.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 QuadKnight

@PinchySkree said:

Yes, shit games have been around forever, so what?

Must be expensive paying $60 or more for something that mimics a film rental

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 QuadKnight

@Juub1990 said:

@quadknight: Except the games that get the most sales and hype are not cinematic.

So COD and GTA, etc. aren't cinematic?

Yea lol.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Juub1990

@quadknight: How the **** is GTA cinematic? Because it has cut scenes and dialogues? As for COD its bread and butter is the online, nobldy cares about the campaign.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#12 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Press X to "get over it"

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By QuadKnight

@Juub1990 said:

@quadknight: How the **** is GTA cinematic? Because it has cut scenes and dialogues? As for COD its bread and butter is the online, nobldy cares about the campaign.

Yea.

That's the definition of a cinematic game right there. Or are you one of those clowns that believe no one plays GTA for the story, characters, and cutscenes as well?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Juub1990

@quadknight: Then practically every game is cinematic if all that is needed are cut scenes and dialogues.

As for GTA, sure a handful of people play for the story but they are a minority because GTA stories suck. That’s not what GTA is known for nor banks its success on.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By QuadKnight

@Juub1990 said:

@quadknight: Then practically every game is cinematic if all that is needed are cut scenes and dialogues.

As for GTA, sure a handful of people play for the story but they are a minority because GTA stories suck. That’s not what GTA is known for nor banks its success on.

Link or source of your info?

'Cos it sounds to me you're pulling stats/info from your ass.

People play GTA for different reasons. I play them for the story since I find GTA Online to be boring while some people play it for the Online and even in online mode people could be playing for the cinematic cutscenes in Heist mode. You can't come up with blanket statements like a "handful of people play for the story" when you have no stats to back it up.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Juub1990

@quadknight: How about you provide a source for your argument in the first place? GTA is known for its huge open world, freedom, exploration and large amount of content. That’s why people buy GTA and that’s what the game’s popularity rests on. It’s also a technological marvel.

Burden of the proof is on you.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By QuadKnight

@Juub1990 said:

@quadknight: How about you provide a source for your argument in the first place? GTA is known for its huge open world, freedom, exploration and large amount of content. That’s why people buy GTA and that’s what the game’s popularity rests on. It’s also a technological marvel.

Burden of the proof is on you.

Not really. GTA is also know for its characters, crazy protagonists, and story.

The burden of proof is on you when you make blanket baseless statements like this...

@Juub1990 said:

As for GTA, sure a handful of people playfor the story but they are a minority because GTA stories suck.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Juub1990

@quadknight: It isn’t because the story and cinematic aspect isn’t what made GTA. It’s the fidelity, openness, variery and now online. GTA isn’t a series carried by its narrative. It’s not its bread and butter.

I’m sure you can prove otherwise though because my argument is far more grounded in reality than yours.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By QuadKnight

@Juub1990 said:

@quadknight: It isn’t because the story and cinematic aspect isn’t what made GTA. It’s the fidelity, openness, variery and now online. GTA isn’t a series carried by its narrative. It’s not its bread and butter.

I’m sure you can prove otherwise though because my argument is far more grounded in reality than yours.

You know a game can still be fun, open, have a lot of gameplay, while still being cinematic right?

You make it sound like cinematic games can't play well or be open. That's horse shit bro, I can't get behind that argument.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

Guess I just have to watch the games on youtube since they have became some kind of cinematic movie.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Juub1990
@quadknight said:

You know the series didn't always have online right? This statement is silly.

C'mon man, you can do better. So what you're saying is that no one cared for GTA before online was invented?

You know a game can still be fun, open, have a lot of gameplay, while still being cinematic right?

You make it sound like cinematic games can't play well. That's horse shit bro, I can't get behind that argument.

Yes GTA didn't always have online but look at how V compared to its predecessors because of the emphasis on online play. Even GTA IV which had limited online components is nowhere near it.

Let's rewind the clock a bit, what made GTA III, arguably the most important game in the series so infamous? It was the freedom to do anything, the copious amounts of gratuitous violence, the open-ended nature of the world and gameplay, the player agency, the realism. It has as much story/cinematics as any GTA game but that's not what made GTA big and I can prove it by linking articles and news discussing GTA and the narrative is almost never mentioned.

I never said a cinematic game couldn't play well so I have no idea why you're saying this. Uncharted 4 gunplay is pretty solid and I enjoyed playing Horizon: Zero Dawn which I think has serviceable gameplay. I simply questioned the statements about cinematic games being the best-selling games because that's untrue. You can't lump GTA in the same category as Uncharted or even Horizon: Zero Dawn.

The most popular games are online games like Destiny, Battlefront, PUBG, CS:GO, LOL, WOW, not the cinematic ones like Uncharted or the upcoming God of War. While these games are still fairly popular, the leaders in the industry are games that focus on long term playability and PvP as well as players/ interaction's with other players. Look at the current best selling games and the common variable is a strong focus on online, not cinematic elements.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By QuadKnight
@Juub1990 said:
@quadknight said:

You know the series didn't always have online right? This statement is silly.

C'mon man, you can do better. So what you're saying is that no one cared for GTA before online was invented?

You make it sound like cinematic games can't play well. That's horse shit bro, I can't get behind that argument.

Yes GTA didn't always have online but look at how V compared to its predecessors because of the emphasis on online play. Even GTA IV which had limited online components is nowhere near it.

Let's rewind the clock a bit, what made GTA III, arguably the most important game in the series so infamous? It was the freedom to do anything, the copious amounts of gratuitous violence, the open-ended nature of the world and gameplay, the player agency, the realism. It has as much story/cinematics as any GTA game but that's not what made GTA big and I can prove it by linking articles and news discussing GTA and the narrative is almost never mentioned.

I would argue what made GTA 3 so big was the transition to proper 3D which allowed you to go from this....

to this...

Which also allowed you to have cutscenes like this...

Loading Video...

and a protagonist that you could become more attached to like the hero in a gangster movie.

It's a mix of different things that made GTA3 so popular. You can't say it was the gameplay alone or freedom.

The graphics and the improved telling of the story the graphics allowed also helped GTA3.

Hawkeye44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hawkeye44

lol if Gta doesn't count as cinematic then I don't know what is. Gta is like the epitome of Open world cinematics: all of the heists on GTA had a lot of cinematics. Destiny have Cinematics and Star wars battlefront litterly spells cinematic. All of the RDR2 trailers are cinematic.

Cinematic action games owns the AAA business.

Also I am talking about AAA games so why is things like CS, LOL, WOW that any shit laptops can play coming into this. May aswell bring candy crush , or moblie games that sells hundred of millions.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Juub1990

@quadknight said:

I would argue what made GTA 3 so big was the transition to proper 3D which allowed you to go from this....

to this...

and a protagonist that you could become more attached to like the hero in a gangster movie.

It's a mix of different things that made GTA3 so popular. You can't say it was the gameplay alone.

The graphics and the improved telling of the story the graphics allowed also helped GTA3.

Yes I can say it's the gameplay alone and I can link the articles and news discussing the game and damn near all of them talk about the same thing with little to no mention of the story because it's frankly forgettable.

From Wikipedia on GTA III

Upon release, the game received critical acclaim, with praise particularly directed at its concept and gameplay. However, the game also generated controversy, with criticism directed at the depiction of violence and sexual content. Grand Theft Auto III became the best-selling video game of 2001, and has sold over 14.5 million copies since.

It's also mentioned GTA is one of the most significant titles of the 6th generation of consoles, chiefly due to its contributions to the open-world formula. There were cinematic and story-driven games before GTA III and while there were open-world games, none came close to its level of realism, amount of player agency and freedom given to the player. It attracted a lot of negative attention as a result and became hugely popular. Nothing to do with the story.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By QuadKnight

@Juub1990 said:
@quadknight said:

to this...

It's a mix of different things that made GTA3 so popular. You can't say it was the gameplay alone.

Yes I can say it's the gameplay alone and I can link the articles and news discussing the game and damn near all of them talk about the same thing with little to no mention of the story because it's frankly forgettable.

From Wikipedia on GTA III

Upon release, the game received critical acclaim, with praise particularly directed at its concept and gameplay. However, the game also generated controversy, with criticism directed at the depiction of violence and sexual content. Grand Theft Auto III became the best-selling video game of 2001, and has sold over 14.5 million copies since.

It's also mentioned GTA is one of the most significant titles of the 6th generation of consoles, chiefly due to its contributions to the open-world formula. There were cinematic and story-driven games before GTA III and while there were open-world games, none came close to its level of realism, amount of player agency and freedom given to the player. It attracted a lot of negative attention as a result and became hugely popular. Nothing to do with the story.

Wikipedia or any article on the internet isn't proof, it's someone's opinion.

I asked for real quantifiable proof like a poll.

I still believe cinematics helped GTA3's success and you're not providing any proof of the contrary. You're just showing me other factors also aided in its success.

Hawkeye44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hawkeye44

@Juub1990:

"Uncharted,GOW can't compete with destiny, star wars and Gta 5"

- U4 13.1 million on one platform

- BF1 13 million on 3 platforms

- BF2 7 million on 3 platforms

- Destiny 15 million on 3 platforms

GOW sold similar to uncharted, TLOU sold more than uncharted, Spiderman e3 2017 trailer accumulated over 50 million view(more than any e317 game). Lmao Sony first party can do more than compete. The only reasons why AAA third party sells this muh anyway is because of the PS4. AAA sells like shit on PC.

Gta 5 is in a league of its own with 80 million sales and an outlinear

Also Gta 3 was popular due to going 3D from 2D. The sales of gta 2 compared to gta 3 says everything.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Juub1990
@quadknight said:

Wikipedia or any article on the internet isn't proof, it someone's opinion.

I asked for real quantifiable proof like a poll.

I still believe cinematics helped GTA3's success and you're not providing any proof of the contrary. You're just showing me other factors that aided its success.

And you haven't provided any so why should I?

I said what chiefly made GTA popular is the gameplay and that the cinematics and story are secondary which I don't think you'd be dishonest enough to argue. The proof is simply that GTA III was one of the most talked about games in 2001 because of what it allowed the player to do and how it allowed the player to do it. Another thing you conveniently ignored there were no open-world games like GTA III but there were cinematic and story-driven games before it.

Again, the burden of the proof is on you that the story gave it as much attention and contributed to its success as much as the gameplay. All I gotta do is link news articles from 2001 and onwards discussing the game and you'll see they all talk about one thing. It was even dubbed a "murder simulator" by the mass media. Believe me I can find dozens of them.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Juub1990
@hawkeye44 said:

@Juub1990:

"Uncharted,GOW can't compete with destiny, star wars and Gta 5"

- U4 13.1 million on one platform

- BF1 13 million on 3 platforms

- BF2 7 million on 3 platforms

- Destiny 15 million on 3 platforms

GOW sold similar to uncharted, TLOU sold more than uncharted, Spiderman e3 2017 trailer accumulated over 50 million view(more than any e317 game). Lmao Sony first party can do more than compete. The only reasons why AAA third party sells this muh anyway is because of the PS4. AAA sells like shit on PC.

Gta 5 is in a league of its own with 80 million sales and an outlinear

First of all I never said the first sentence of your post so nice strawman.

Second those numbers are false. Uncharted didn't sell 13.1 million copies and God of War sold nowhere near 13.1 million. Wow 50 million view on youtube? Completely irrelevant.

Hawkeye44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hawkeye44

@Juub1990:

Lol read Naughty dog's report like a 1 month . Talk about being denial.

GOW 1-3 sold similar to UC 1-3. I don't see why that would change now.

-Over 50 million accumalted views for one trailer of the top 3 most famous superheroes of all time- completely irrelevant lmao

Then what does that make Anthem etc. since that online pvp game was no where near Spiderman in hype and popularity.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Juub1990
@hawkeye44 said:

@Juub1990:

-Over 50 million accumalted views for one trailer of the top 3 most famous superheroes of all time- completely irrelevant lmao

Then what does that make Anthem etc. since that online pvp game was no where near Spiderman in hype and popularity.

Can you show where Uncharted 4 sold 13.1 million copies like you claimed?

Second point is a false equivalency so please no.

Youtube views for a trailer aren't representative of sales so again, no.

As for the cherry picked games you chose, let's stick to the actual most popular games.

GTA V: Over 75 million copies sold

PUBG: Over 30 million players

Diablo III: 10th best selling game of all time with over 30 million copies sold

Skyrim: Over 30 million copies sold in 5 years

League of Legends: Over 1.6 billion in revenues in 2015

Modern Warfare 3: Over 25 million copies sold

Uncharted and God of War don't even register on these games' radar. 13 million(and that's not even true) is what these games do their first month. That's ignoring heavy hitters like Mario games, Pokemon and the like. No, story-driven and cinematic games aren't the most popular games. Not even close. You're out to lunch if you think Spider-Man is even gonna approach these numbers.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#31 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I enjoy "cinematic games" but they don't represent my bread and butter. The problem with those games is if I don't like the premise or story, main character, I probably won't be drawn to the game. Like the TellTale games.....I choose them based on their stories, nothing to do with their gameplay. A game like Quantum Break, loved the sci-fi story.....but take the same game and change the story to something I do not like, I would have passed on the game.

Gears 4 had a cinematic campaign at times, I enjoyed it.....but that's not where I spent more than 200 hours playing afterwards, that was in Horde and competitive online.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Howmakewood

Uncharted 4 selling above 13million? that's mighty impressive considering in the last 18 months(stated in december) the franchise as a whole has sold 13.7million units, sounds like the UC4 owners didnt care for the Lost Legacy too much lol

Hawkeye44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hawkeye44

@Juub1990:

https://www.google.mu/amp/www.gamesindustry.biz/amp/2017-12-11-uncharted-series-sales-passes-41-million

All uncharted sold a combined of 28 million before Uncharted 4.

I'm talking about AAA games, don't care about what PUBG, Dialo or lol did.

MW3, Skyrim didn't sell 13 million copies one one platform. Gta 5 is in a league of its own.

Lol I wouldnt be so sure about Spiderman. Its the most hyped game of one of the most famous figures in history. It destroyed all games in popularity at e317 including third party muliplats.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Howmakewood

@hawkeye44 said:

@Juub1990:

https://www.google.mu/amp/www.gamesindustry.biz/amp/2017-12-11-uncharted-series-sales-passes-41-million

MW3, Skyrim didn't sell 13 million copies one one platform. Gta 5 is in a league of its own.

Lol I wouldnt be so sure about Spiderman. Its the most hyped game of one of the most famous figures in history. It destroyed all games in popularity at e317 including third party muliplats.

This figure not only includes the four main games, but also this year's standalone expansion Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and 2015's remaster collection The Nathan Drake Collection, which brought the original trilogy to PS4.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Juub1990
@hawkeye44 said:

@Juub1990:

MW3, Skyrim didn't sell 13 million copies one one platform.

The argument I had was with QuadKnight and we were discussing the most popular games period. AAA or not. Also Diablo III is very much a AAA game. Not to mention your post disproves nothing, the most popular games aren't cinematic driven games like Uncharted, they get dismantled by the heavy hitters.

As for Uncharted 4. Guess you forgot about Lost Legacy and The Nathan Drake Collection.

Here is the list of best selling games of all time.

Exactly 0 cinematic games there.

Hawkeye44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hawkeye44

Gta and Cod have a lot of Cinematics.

A lot of these are 2 bit games from like 20 years ago. Irrelevant now.

If thats the case then is why Nintendo with Mario, Pokemon and xbox with a very strong online pvp focus is getting their ass handed by the strong cinematic action focus PS4?

Metal gear, Gta, COD, Battlefield, Uncharted, TLOU etc. have a lot of cinematics in it.

Also RDR2 is going in the Gta direction judging by the trailer.

The top 5 most anticipated games of 2018/19 have very strong or some form of cinematics.

Ps4 is at 76.5 million and they have a very strong cinematic focus.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Juub1990

@hawkeye44 said:

A lot of these are 2 bit games from like 20 years ago. Irrelevant now.

If thats the case then is why Nintendo with Mario, Pokemon and xbox with a very strong online pvp focus is getting their ass handed by the strong cinematic action focus PS4?

Because Nintendo lacks in 3rd party games? The best selling games aren't the story-driven cinematic games. Sony is successful because they have a combination of everything. Great 3rd party deals, decent price tags, most successful popular multiplatform series and good press. Not solely because they have a couple of games like Uncharted that soundly get outsold by other games.

As for the Xbox console, do I really need to explain why it's trailing behind the PS4?

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#38 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

Well enjoy your movie games OP. Im my own man and will never follow any trend. Hardcore is in my blood and i will die with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts
@hawkeye44 said:

Metal gear, Gta, COD, Battlefield, Uncharted, TLOU etc. have a lot of cinematics in it.

Also RDR2 is going in the Gta direction judging by the trailer.

It seems like you have messed up cinematics with cutscenes. Cutscenes won't make a game cinematic.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

@quadknight said:
@Juub1990 said:

Yea.

That's the definition of a cinematic game right there. Or are you one of those clowns that believe no one plays GTA for the story, characters, and cutscenes as well?

The definition of a cinematic game is a game that is basically anti gameplay in favour of flashy moments that put the player on the backseat and take away control of the character during gameplay.

I wouldn't consider GTA to be a cinematic game, since it actually encourages the player to experiment in a vast sandbox environment and, you know, play the game. It distinguishes cutscenes and gameplay and doesn't try to blend them into one big QTE fest.

By comparison, Uncharted, TLOU and now GoW all have extremely shallow gameplay segments that are stringed together by QTE's.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

I've been reading some of the posts here and it seems that the definition of cinematic games is way too broad for some people. Games with cinematic cut-scenes have been here for ages and will always stay I don't know anyone who doubts that. They keep getting better and more immersive. But games who are essentially movie-games (i.e. super short, all flash no substance) and rely only on their cut-scenes like The Order 1886 are not huge sellers like Skyrim, GTA, Zelda, etc. and I hope they don't become the norm.

I personally want meaningful and fun gameplay first and then the immersive ''cinematic'' story and setting.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By QuadKnight

@Sgt_Crow: TLOU, GOW, and Uncharted have a lot of gamaeplay. I don’t know where you’re getting the idea that they are QTE fests. That would be games like Detroit and Telltale games. TLOU is nothing like those games.

I know You guys here on SW like to over-exaggerate but keep the wacky exaggerations out of arguments with me because they are bullshit. If you were saying something like Detroit and Telltale games are shallow on gameplay I would agree but lumping GOW and TLOU with those kind of games just because GOW and TLOU have rich cinematic cutscenes between gameplay is stupid as hell.

Who defines what the limit is on cutscenes if we are going to label every game with rich cinematic cutscenes as a movie game? TW3 has rich cinematic cutscenes. Is it a movie game now? Because according to you guys any idiot can label it as a movie game because it goes beyond his/her limit of cutscenes a “real game” can have.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@hawkeye44 said:

@Juub1990:

Can you show where Uncharted 4 sold 13.1 million copies like you claimed?

Second point is a false equivalency so please no.

Youtube views for a trailer aren't representative of sales so again, no.

As for the cherry picked games you chose, let's stick to the actual most popular games.

GTA V: Over 75 million copies sold

PUBG: Over 30 million players

Diablo III: 10th best selling game of all time with over 30 million copies sold

Skyrim: Over 30 million copies sold in 5 years

League of Legends: Over 1.6 billion in revenues in 2015

Modern Warfare 3: Over 25 million copies sold

Uncharted and God of War don't even register on these games' radar. 13 million(and that's not even true) is what these games do their first month. That's ignoring heavy hitters like Mario games, Pokemon and the like. No, story-driven and cinematic games aren't the most popular games. Not even close. You're out to lunch if you think Spider-Man is even gonna approach these numbers.

I like how you're starting to pick apart cow's bullshit.

Cows do nothing but fucking lie on these forums lately.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Juub1990

@quadknight said:

@Sgt_Crow: TLOU, GOW, and Uncharted have a lot of gamaeplay. I don’t know where you’re getting the idea that they are QTE fests. That would be games like Detroit and Telltale games. TLOU is nothing like those games.

I know You guys here on SW like to over-exaggerate but keep the wacky exaggerations out of arguments with me because they are bullshit. If you were saying something like Detroit and Telltale games are shallow on gameplay I would agree but lumping GOW and TLOU with those kind of games just because GOW and TLOU have rich cinematic cutscenes between gameplay is stupid as hell.

Who defines what the limit is on cutscenes if we are going to label every game with rich cinematic cutscenes as a movie game? TW3 has rich cinematic cutscenes. Is it a movie game now? Because according to you guys any idiot can label it as a movie game because it goes beyond his/her limit of cutscenes a “real game” can have.

You're the one who claimed cinematic games are those that contain cinematics and cut scenes and you're the one who lumped GTA V in the same category as The Witcher 3 which according to you should also fall in the same category but it clearly doesn't.

We haven't really defined what a cinematic game regardless. All I know is that Uncharted 4 is roughly 15hrs long and cutscenes/movies take up 3-4 hrs of its length. I'd say 20-25% of the game being cinematic is kind of a lot.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Sgt_Crow

@quadknight said:

Loading Video...

You honestly think this is good gameplay...?
There's barely any at all to begin with. It's all flash and no substance.

How can you even compare TLOU, Uncharted and GOW to TW3 lol? Do you have sand in your eyes or are you just totally blinded by all these QTE fests to remember what an actual game is supposed to be?

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By QuadKnight

@Sgt_Crow said:
@quadknight said:

Loading Video...

How can you even compare TLOU, Uncharted and GOW to TW3 lol? Do you have sand in your eyes or are you just totally blinded by all these QTE fests to remember what an actual game is supposed to be?

You're the one with sand in your eyes. None of those games are even in the same genre.

TW3 is an action RPG

TLOU and Uncharted are 3rd person action adventure games with TPS elements

GOW is a hack and slash action game

Obviously they won't play the same but they are all worthwhile games. What is an "actual game"? You clowns on SW like to throw around terms like this that don't have any real meaning. Who defines what an "actual game" is? Or is it another bullshit term like "real gamer"? What makes you the authority that defines what a game or a gamer is? I doubt you can answer this question without bringing your own personal preferences or bias.

People like you need to realize you don't define what a game is. What you consider to be a "movie game" or "walking simulator" can provide hundreds of hours of gameplay entertainment to another person. It's like walking up to someone who likes point and click adventure games and telling them that the game they like isn't a real game because it doesn't play like Ninja Gaiden. Absolute bullshit of the highest degree.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

If having cutscenes and dialog alone make a game cinematic then that means a lot of MMOs and Online games are cinematic games as well but I'm sure you wouldn't agree on that TC because that would give PC the edge. By cinematic games we're refering to games where being cinematic makes up a huge part of its identity and the amount of time you spend in a game with 25%-50% of it being cutscenes, several set pieces, QTEs, cinematic camera angles in game and etc. Look at how much content worth of cutscenes Starcraft 2: Wings Of Liberty has and yet I don't see anyone calling it a cinematic game.

Loading Video...

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sgt_Crow

@quadknight said:
@Sgt_Crow said:
@quadknight said:

Loading Video...

You're the one with sand in your eyes. None of those games are even in the same genre.

TW3 is an action RPG

TLOU and Uncharted are 3rd person action adventure games with TPS elements

GOW is a hack and slash action game

Obviously they won't play the same but they are all worthwhile games. What is an "actual game"? You clowns on SW like to throw around terms like this that don't have any real meaning. Who defines what an "actual game" is? Or is it another bullshit term like "real gamer"? What makes you the authority that defines what a game or a gamer is? I doubt you can answer this question without bringing your own personal preferences or bias.

People like you need to realize you don't define what a game is. What you consider to be a "movie game" or "walking simulator" can provide hundreds of hours of gameplay entertainment to another person. It's like walking up to someone who likes point and click adventure games and telling them that the game they like isn't a real game because it doesn't play like Ninja Gaiden. Absolute bullshit of the highest degree.

What does genre have to do with it? QTE fest isn't a genre, it's a trend. Point and click adventure is an actual genre though. Did you even play any of the previous GoW games? Notice the difference between the first three and what they have showed of the fourth one so far? And duh, we're on a bloody forum. It's a place to discuss and share opinions. According to you, everyone should just shut the **** up about your favourite games and consent to your views about what a true game is. For me, a true game puts gameplay above flashy cutscenes. I am not hating on games with good stories, or even games with good cutscenes. I'm hating on the trend that developers place gameplay below everything else like they're all Michael Bay.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By QuadKnight

@Juub1990 said:
@quadknight said:

You're the one who claimed cinematic games are those that contain cinematics and cut scenes and you're the one who lumped GTA V in the same category as The Witcher 3 which according to you should also fall in the same category but it clearly doesn't.

We haven't really defined what a cinematic game regardless. All I know is that Uncharted 4 is roughly 15hrs long and cutscenes/movies take up 3-4 hrs of its length. I'd say 20-25% of the game being cinematic is kind of a lot.

That's just the story mode though. What about the potentially hundreds of hours of gameplay in the multiplayer?

Or are you going to cop out and pretend UC4 doesn't have an MP mode but saying "no one buys it for the MP" like you did with COD when you said "no one buys it for the campaign". Because a game isn't defined only by what makes it popular or what you deem people buy it for. Not everyone is the same. Like me for example, I don't give two shits about COD MP but I buy the games because I like the campaign and characters (I bought MW1-3 for the story mode). I also remember BLOPS 3 getting shit on in reviews for its bad story which means some people do care for story in COD games.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Juub1990
@quadknight said:

That's just the story mode though. What about the potentially hundreds of hours of gameplay in the multiplayer?

Or are you going to cop out and pretend UC4 doesn't have an MP mode but saying "no one buys it for the MP" like you did with COD when you said "no one buys it for the campaign".

Are you being intentionally dishonest there? Or are you just playing dumb? Can't tell which it is.