80% of PS4 owners have not played Uncharted.

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Recently, Gamespot published a article that states 80% of of Playstation 4 owners have not played Uncharted. If you frequent System Wars you know that cows love to talk about Uncharted, which is claimed to be a popular series. If people do not care for Uncharted, what in the world could make cows hype up Dragon Quest? lol

Link

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

The series has sold over 24 million units, it's hard to say people don't care about it, especially when one of the entries won over 200 GOTY awards and has a 96 on Metacritic.

But you know, **** numbers!

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#3 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Doesn't that statistic mostly point out how many of the PS4 owners were either not PS3 owners or straight up skipped Uncharted?

Because the franchise does fine commercially.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@intotheminx: I think it would have been better to state that this is coming from Naughty Dog themselves not GameSpot. GameSpot is the courier here.

Either way I've only played Uncharted 2. While I can appreciate it's very high quality, it's not my kind of game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
deactivated-5d68555a05c4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
Member since 2015 • 1024 Posts

I would say that statistic more so says that plenty of people didn't have a ps3 before owning the 4

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

"According to Naughty Dog's own research" .... yeah,cool PR

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

A lot of converts from the 360 maybe? These polls always make me wonder, I'm a PS4 owner, and I was never asked if I have played it, which I have played all 3. How are they getting these figures for all PS4 owners, if 4 friends of mine, plus myself haven't been asked if we've played it? Are they looking at trophies or something? I think I'm calling shenanigans and they are just justifying the remaster to PS4 owners.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

That's cause 80% of PS4 users had Xbox 360s last gen.

EDIT: or 80% of PS4 users are new accounts. IE: They're not using their PS3 accounts.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@iambatman7986:

statistics is not about asking everyone but a large enough sample that would reflect a trend because it's all about probability not facts. They say 80% but it might be lower, it might be higher but from the samples they took it reflected 80%.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@iambatman7986 said:

A lot of converts from the 360 maybe? These polls always make me wonder, I'm a PS4 owner, and I was never asked if I have played it, which I have played all 3. How are they getting these figures for all PS4 owners, if 4 friends of mine, plus myself haven't been asked if we've played it? Are they looking at trophies or something? I think I'm calling shenanigans and they are just justifying the remaster to PS4 owners.

Ding ding ding!

Yup, it's stated before that a lot of PS4 owners are previous 360 owners.

So yes these remakes actually make sense.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

to be fair, same could be said of most games. UC3 sold about 6 mil. there were 80 million PS3s. So about 92% of PS3 owners didn't play UC3 either.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

PS3 wasn't nearly as popular as the PS4. What exactly is the problem understanding that?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13 deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

@intotheminx said:

Recently, Gamespot published a article that states 80% of of Playstation 4 owners have not played Uncharted. If you frequent System Wars you know that cows love to talk about Uncharted, which is claimed to be a popular series. If people do not care for Uncharted, what in the world could make cows hype up Dragon Quest? lol

Link

Former lems who abandoned their sinking ship?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

@Blabadon said:

The series has sold over 24 million units, it's hard to say people don't care about it, especially when one of the entries won over 200 GOTY awards and has a 96 on Metacritic.

destroyed in 1st post.

Bitch'n

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

No need to justify your remaster ND

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

@Blabadon said:

24 million units combined across 3 games? I would of imagined it was more popular. That's nothing to sneeze at, but still. It's a flagship title.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Yet, cows say Halo is a dying series, and it has sold over 65 million...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

I think similar assertions could be made with any orher console, brand, and their signature exclusives.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gue1

@StormyJoe:

but Halo has like 10 games, Uncharted has 3 on console and 1 on a dead handheld.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@intotheminx: Yeah, a massive amount of new PS4 owners are comprised of people that bought a 360, PC, handheld, or Wii last gen.

What's the issue exactly? Is the argument now not about games releasing on platforms, but percentages of people that play those games?

That new PS4 or new to PS customers never played Uncharted? Yeah, they missed a lot of games from the PS3 generation because they were gaming on 360, PC, or Wii.

If you didn't hear, the PS4 is more popular than the PS3 ever was...how is this news. Do you need to see the massive sales the PS4 has over the WIi U and Xbone? I don't care about sales, but you seem surprised that people jumped ship.

It's not like they are saying 80% of the OLD PS3 owners didn't play Uncharted...and even if they did, so what?

A good game is a good game, no matter the system. I'm not even a big uncharted fan, but what's the complaint here? New-to-Playstation gamers didn't play PS games from last generation? No shit, right? A previous 360 lemming wouldn't be playing Wii sheep and PS3 cow games last gen. IF that previous lemming bought a PS4, like we've been seeing all gen, then all of the sudden there is games for him to play like The Last of Us or Uncharted. Whatever.

Then they shifted to PS4 and guess what is now new to them. Games like God of War, Uncharted, Ratchet, etc.

Every generation is reset....it doesn't affect me, I buy my consoles at launch every gen and buy the games I want.

I didn't have any reason to by the Uncharted collection, I played them years ago. Same for Halo MCC, GeoW HD, and Zelda WW HD. I own the originals. There is a market of people though that never played those games and seem to want them.

It's just PR either way. Not really worth our time.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#21 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Makes sense. Watching it on youtube is ever MOAR cinematic.

On serious note: Same can be said about every game. Entire user base doesn't play one game. Even in COD's case, sales are less than 50% compared to sales of total Consoles sold. While similar threads were made in the past about Steam that only xyz number of people play xyz type of games, I find it stupid in both cases.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@StormyJoe said:
@Blabadon said:

Yet, cows say Halo is a dying series, and it has sold over 65 million...

An idiot is an idiot in any shade.

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

Makes sense with the amount of 360 owners that jumped shipped to PS4. Like half of PS4 owners didn't own a PS3.

funkmaster1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 funkmaster1233
Member since 2014 • 706 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:
@iambatman7986 said:

Ding ding ding!

Yup, it's stated before that a lot of PS4 owners are previous 360 owners.

So yes these remakes actually make sense.

You can have our bro gamers. I hope we get a repeat of the original Xbox now.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By StormyJoe

@Gue1 said:

@StormyJoe:

but Halo has like 10 games, Uncharted has 3 on console and 1 on a dead handheld.

Halo 1, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 4, MCC, Halo 1 remaster, Halo: Reach, Halo:ODST, Halo Wars (did not sell well). 65/9 = 7.22 per game including HW, 8.12 w/o HW

Uncharted, Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3, Uncharted Remastered. 24/4 = 6.

7.22>6

8.12>6

I am not saying Uncharted is not a great series, or that it sells badly. I am just saying that a lot of cows say it's a dying franchise; yet when you break down the numbers, it sells more than Uncharted does.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Really can't say anything that hasn't been said.

- Popular series

- lots of old 360 gamers now on PS4

- these remasters have some validity

It's all good.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Gue1

@StormyJoe:

but pretty sure people don't say it because of the sales but because of the metascores that are lower and lower with each new iteration. Halo 4 for example has the same score as Resistance 2, which while a good game is not exactly something to brag about being comparable to it... Then Halo MCC's even lower than that.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By StormyJoe

@kratosyoloswag said:

Makes sense with the amount of 360 owners that jumped shipped to PS4. Like half of PS4 owners didn't own a PS3.

Got some stats/link to back that up? The best I have seen is "Wii or 360 owners account for 1/3 of PS4 owners". Yet, XBL numbers have not gone down - they're up. So, either 360 owners jumped to PS4 and kept their XBL subscriptions (highly unlikely), or the majority of that 1/3 are Wii owners.

BTW: Sony doesn't think that - they are going after Wii owners.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog: What can be said is, it's amazing what hype can make people spend their money on.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 StormyJoe

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Really can't say anything that hasn't been said.

- Popular series

- l

- these remasters have some validity

It's all good.

Got some proof of that? Go look at my response to kratosyoloswag

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts

They're not missing out on much. Most overrated series in the history of gaming.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog

@StormyJoe: LIVE accounts going up doesn't prove anything. For all we know more old 360 owners actually decided to get LIVE.

And a 1/3 of 20 million consoles or whatever it is is still a lot of ppl to sell a remaster to.

Especially if they have never played it.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Mr_Huggles_dog

@dotWithShoes: Exactly what hype for the NDC are you talking about?

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

@StormyJoe said:
@kratosyoloswag said:

Got some stats/link to back that up? The best I have seen is "Wii or 360 owners account for 1/3 of PS4 owners". Yet, XBL numbers have not gone down - they're up. So, either 360 owners jumped to PS4 and kept their XBL subscriptions (highly unlikely), or the majority of that 1/3 are Wii owners.

Xbox owners are switching sides.

You could just google 360 owners switching to PS4 and you'd find a shitload of people. They're going after Wii owners because Wii sold the most, but the majority of Wii owners have moved on to mobile. PS4 owners are actually buying 3rd party games, something Wii owners never did.

Edit: Your stats for Uncharted are also flawed. Each game in the series has sold more than the last. Uncharted: DF is by far the lowest selling with around 3 or 4 million, Uncharted 3 sold around 9 or 10 million. Uncharted 4 is most likely going to outsell Halo 5 worldwide given the 2:1 difference in sales.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Yeah right, according to the Naughty Dog PR department. The same people that say every game they release is using pretty much all of the available resources of the console, and would not be possible anywhere else. Yeah I believe them...lol.

Anyway I highly doubt that 80% of the PS4 owners never played an Uncharted game. Hell even most of the hardest of hard core Xbox fans I know have at least played some Uncharted at some point. So even if 60% of the PS4 owners were 360 only owners last gen. Quite a few still have played the games. That and in all honesty most people I know owned both consoles last gen, and owned at least UC2 at some point. Sounds like typical PR crap if you ask me. Not saying that somewhere out there people have not played the games, just that I doubt it would be as high as 80%.

Jereb31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jereb31
Member since 2015 • 2025 Posts

@Blabadon said:

200 GOTY Awards!! I wouldn't have thought their were even that many GOTY.... givers (brain fail english this morning).

Are you sure you didn't just mean 200 awards.

Slannmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#38 Slannmage
Member since 2005 • 6975 Posts

I played it, I just thought it was shit.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 StormyJoe

@kratosyoloswag said:
@StormyJoe said:
@kratosyoloswag said:

You could just google 360 owners switching to PS4 and you'd find a shitload of people. They're going after Wii owners because Wii sold the most, but the majority of Wii owners have moved on to mobile. PS4 owners are actually buying 3rd party games, something Wii owners never did.

Yeah, a survey. Awesome. I am sure there are no fanboys in that survey - none of them would ever misrepresent themselves to make their favorite console look better.

XBL subscriptions are up. It is impossible that a significant number of 360 owners jumped to PS4 while XBL subscriptions are increasing.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

All they did is pull data from PSN profiles to assess which have and have not played Uncharted on the PS3, this isn't any form of reliable or telling metric. This doesn't account for the percentage of new adopters, people who have no interest in Uncharted, people that don't have the internet, people that have made new profiles, people who have yet to buy one etc. This is PR to make it seem as if there is some really rational reason for this collection to exist except for cash grabbing, especially as it's been said repeatedly this is primarily for people who haven't played, and that's the problem.

No existing people that play Uncharted have I seen anywhere asking for this to be created, for remasters of these games to be made nor has there been much interest from new people. It's like The Last of Us: Remastered, who wanted or even asked for that? Nobody, it came out literally a year before, also Uncharted isn't even old, the entire franchise of four games has not even hit the 8 year mark yet... Something like The Master Chief Collection though, people have been asking for Halo remakes for years all over the place, that came into existence because it was asked for and also because it's an older franchise and marks the 10 year Anniversaries of two of the games.

This honestly comes off like they're sniffing for validation, for rationality as to why this exists.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@StormyJoe said:
@kratosyoloswag said:
@StormyJoe said:
@kratosyoloswag said:

Yeah, a survey. Awesome. I am sure there are no fanboys in that survey - none of them would ever misrepresent themselves to make their favorite console look better.

XBL subscriptions are up. It is impossible that a significant number of 360 owners jumped to PS4 while XBL subscriptions are increasing.

Correction.

The article you cited does NOT say XBL subs are up, simply that (all/free) XBL membership numbers are up (we don't even have any numbers either). Phil Spencer didn't say in your chosen article that XBL subscriptions are up (and also, actual numbers instead of a PR fluff piece using words like "up" or "down" would be treated as evidence) and there is a distinction between a free membership and an XBL subscription. It's PR, but you have to be able to read what's actually being said. A subscription and a being a member aren't the same thing. Membership is free.

A marketing and PR master like Phil knows that one could spin a decrease of XBLG members and an increase of actual XBL members by releasing the same statement, "XBL members are up!" especially with the family plans and sub accounts. They didn't give us figures and there is nothing here to go on in all honesty because when and if the XBL membership went down, they would never tell us. We would probably hear about how many hours people spent online, how many millions of achievements, or some other distracting figures. The whole point of PR is to spin a brand in a positive light, so it's not a good way to prove a point (for any fans of Nintendo, PS, or Xbox)

It seems every-time there is a new PR piece on Xbox Live numbers, people keep confusing Gold with all members. For the record, PSN free members are up too and Sony released their own PR piece on that. PS+ and XBLG are a whole different thing entirely. M$ doesn't ever release actual XBLG numbers, but a few years back they insinuated that about 50% of XBL members are XBLG subscribers putting XBLG at about 20-24 million subs. Gaming is growing though on both sides. Comparing online services that are growing on both consoles doesn't really work though also because both machines sell to MILLIONS of consumers that are offline.

Also, for the record, I've been with XBL since the original Xbox and I also have a paid PS+ subscription. I actively, and for the last 5 years or so, have paid for both services. I tried to avoid PS+ as I already have been with Gold for over a decade. It is true, that many gamers usually opt out of paying for one service or the other.

Both services (PSN/XBL) are growing.

PS4/Xbone sell to MILLIONS of offline consumers. Not just a few million either, but we are looking at about 50% of these console sales are offline gamers around the world. Just looking at XBL free members and looking at the install bases of Xbone and 360, we can see that roughly 50% of the people that buy these machines are offline. Cited: 48 million total XBL members vs. 95 million sold 360s/Xbones].

You can't figure out who's jumping ship by only looking at online numbers, and even if you did, you would need concrete numbers and you'd have to realize both services memberships are growing.

Off the point, but also you chose a poor new startup website I wouldn't recommend revisiting for concrete and clean non-biased information. There was a whole thread that went into specifics on that new sites origin. They were just citing "segmentnext.com" anyways. May as well get the info direct.

tl;dr:

1. It's PR, you can't trust any PR spin from any company, especially when vague terms like "up" is all we get and that "up" only refers to free members.
  2. There are no concrete online numbers to see the increases or decreases. We can't see if subs are up or down, just total free members which includes family plans, double accounts, and sub accounts.
  3. It's total online users, not total subscriptions. You said subs are up, but they didn't say that. For instance, about about 95 million Xboxes are out there (85 million 360s and 10 million Xbones) have been sold, and yet there is only 48 million XBL members across both machines (total, paid subs is estimated to be about half of that at 20-24 million).
  4. Both Online services PSN and XBL boast about increased numbers in membership according to PR from both. The XBL Family plan and sub accounts on both services ensure that we will continue to see increased FREE memberships for some time to come.
  5. Gaming is growing as the population is growing. That growth explains why both PSN and XBL free membership is "up".
  6. Millions of consumers buy these consoles and remain offline (looking at XBL free members and looking at the install bases of Xbone and 360, we can see that roughly 50% of the people that buy these machines are offline [48 million XBL members vs. 95 million sold 360s/Xbones]).
  7. You can't figure out who's jumping ship using only online numbers as that's roughly only half the install base you are looking at.
  8. That new biased website has been proven to be sketchy in other SW threads.
xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

So most PS3 gamers are not buying PS4's yet because all they have is their games in 1080p! LOL

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts
@xhawk27 said:

So most PS3 gamers are not buying PS4's yet because all they have is their games in 1080p! LOL

wut? Based on the info here, how did you come to that conclusion?

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@lostrib: Most of the top games on the PS4 are HD ports of PS3 games. ;)

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By StormyJoe

@SolidTy: no, but there is a similar article from a year earlier with 2 million less subscribers. And, if you did a little googling instead of typing so much, you'd find similar articles that clearly state that it is XBox GOLD subscribers and how MS has made over a billion dollars of XBL.

Why is it that there are so many people in here that denounce articles because things are not spoken as legal speak? What exactly is the matter with you?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/04/20/always-on-microsoft-xbox-live-subscriptions-up-to-46m-will-never-be-free/

BlueEyedCasva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BlueEyedCasva
Member since 2015 • 599 Posts

A lot of newer gamer every generation

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@StormyJoe said:
@Gue1 said:

@StormyJoe:

Halo 1, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 4, MCC, Halo 1 remaster, Halo: Reach, Halo:ODST, Halo Wars (did not sell well). 65/9 = 7.22 per game including HW, 8.12 w/o HW

Uncharted, Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3, Uncharted Golden Abyss* (Vita) 24/4 = 6.

7.22>6

8.12>6

I am not saying Uncharted is not a great series, or that it sells badly. I am just saying that a lot of cows say it's a dying franchise; yet when you break down the numbers, it sells more than Uncharted does.

*Corrected. Not sure if intentional or not, but you included the UC remaster which is yet unreleased. However since there is a 4th game ( Golden Abyss) I just adjusted the name.

#VitaMeansLifeBro #VitaMasterRace

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Slimmin360
Member since 2010 • 1933 Posts

Don't know who those 80% are but i've played through the Uncharted trilogy multiple times, and i really love the series immensely, and i for one cannot wait for Uncharted 4, i'm also getting the Uncharted collection on October 9th for PS4.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I'd be more interested in the statistic of how many gamers who have no intention of ever buying the Uncharted Collection are upset by the fact it's coming out and why they give a flying **** about something they won't buy anyway.

Society has gone backwards, almost caveman level of IQ's on display on most internet forums.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I wish I was among that 80% :(