60 Minutes special featuring John "Fatal1ty" Wendel! Did YOU see it?

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

adrian1480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 adrian1480
Member since 2003 • 15033 Posts
Did anyone else just catch that 60 minutes special about LAN parties, the "cyberathelete" and John Wendel??! It was pretty darn cool. I can give a recap, if necessary, but in summary, it was coming from the perspective that with the average age of gamers being 30 and given that gaming has surpassed other forms of entertainment (financially), that the evolution of gaming into sport and competition was inevitable...and that John Wendel (professional gamer), LAN parties and all that stuff is bringing gaming mainstream...and that cyber sports (with people who only play games as their jobs) are inevitable. It was pretty awesome.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/19/60minutes/main1220146.shtml

So what do you guys think? Are we near the dawn of the gaming sport age? Will American and Europeans take to gaming like movies, making the best gamers in the world RockStars (like they are in Korea)?!??

DISCUSS.
McLarenAK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 McLarenAK47
Member since 2003 • 14169 Posts

Did anyone else just catch that 60 minutes special about LAN parties, the "cyberathelete" and John Wendel??! It was pretty darn cool. I can give a recap, if necessary, but in summary, it was coming from the perspective that with the average age of gamers being 30 and given that gaming has surpassed other forms of entertainment (financially), that the evolution of gaming into sport and competition was inevitable...and that John Wendel (professional gamer), LAN parties and all that stuff is bringing gaming mainstream...and that cyber sports (with people who only play games as their jobs) are inevitable. It was pretty awesome.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/19/60minutes/main1220146.shtml

So what do you guys think? Are we near the dawn of the gaming sport age? Will American and Europeans take to gaming like movies, making the best gamers in the world RockStars (like they are in Korea)?!??

DISCUSS.
adrian1480

its cool

hondacrx898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 hondacrx898
Member since 2004 • 10407 Posts

Fatal1ty is crazy good

you know gaming is becoming huge when PC parts are made after him

Poochie0709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Poochie0709
Member since 2004 • 5900 Posts
His name is fatal1ty:|
Aura_Twilight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Aura_Twilight
Member since 2005 • 3212 Posts
[QUOTE="Poochie0709"]His name is fatal1ty:|

His username is thats not his real name.
Poochie0709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Poochie0709
Member since 2004 • 5900 Posts
[QUOTE="Aura_Twilight"] [QUOTE="Poochie0709"]His name is fatal1ty:|

His username is thats not his real name.

No:|
Aura_Twilight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Aura_Twilight
Member since 2005 • 3212 Posts
[QUOTE="Poochie0709"] [QUOTE="Aura_Twilight"] [QUOTE="Poochie0709"]His name is fatal1ty:|

His username is that not his real name.

No:|

His real name is John something it says it in that guys post
vitrobliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 vitrobliss
Member since 2003 • 5132 Posts
It's cool with me.
But I would very much dislike to see sports games professionals. That'd be just pathetic.
fightforglory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 fightforglory
Member since 2004 • 2328 Posts
Saw it it was pretty good. BTW i posted it in general games too b4 i looked in here.
soulkeeper90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 soulkeeper90
Member since 2004 • 6153 Posts
I played him once or twice in CS:S. He is a beast...
hondacrx898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hondacrx898
Member since 2004 • 10407 Posts

soulkeeper90

?

his game is UT2004, but even so, he might play CS. but just because you faced some with the name Fatal1ty on cs doesnt mean it was him.

unless you played him lan.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
soulkeeper90
I bet you that was one of my friends that used his name.
adrian1480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 adrian1480
Member since 2003 • 15033 Posts
soulkeeper90

yea, they showed him winning $120,000 at some Quake event, I think it was.
out0v0rder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 out0v0rder
Member since 2006 • 1994 Posts
welcome to 18 months ago
-Sora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -Sora
Member since 2004 • 15152 Posts

sorry, it think treating video games as a sport and calling these people athletes is pathetic.

furtherfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 furtherfan
Member since 2007 • 3699 Posts
thank Nintendo for that.
Forza_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Forza_2
Member since 2007 • 3083 Posts

?

his game is UT2004,

hondacrx898

I thought his game was Quake 3/4 ?

HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HoldThePhone
Member since 2007 • 3364 Posts
u guys are suprised? look at korea...starcraft is their national sport
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

sorry, it think treating video games as a sport and calling these people athletes is pathetic.

-Sora

You and me both. Can you believe people are lobbying to get Poker into the Olympics?

JzkBoxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JzkBoxer
Member since 2005 • 1081 Posts

Fatal1ty is overrated, and doesn't come anywhere near most of the Koreans I've seen and played with in terms of gaming skill. Take some of the average BW players in Korea as an example, those guys are averaging 350+ legitimate actions per minute on an RTS on a game-to-game basis, and most of them can scroll/enter commands faster on the keyboard than 99% of the population can type. The best comparison I can make is: Fatal1ty is a world class soccer player, which is great and all, but not that special when you take into account that the world's best source of athletes ( America ) doesn't even encourage their best athletes to play that sport.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Meh, Wendel is a beast in twitch based games like Quake and Unreal, but he was in TI for COD I think and boy was he average. I don't think competitive gaming has the kind of mainstream appeal equivalent to other sports. The reason? The personalities. Save two or three cool hosses, not many of them are star quality.
da1on2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 da1on2
Member since 2006 • 4885 Posts
Did you see 60 Minutes was Cam'ron? It was the worst thing I've ever seen in my life.
HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HoldThePhone

Meh, Wendel is a beast in twitch based games like Quake and Unreal, but he was in TI for COD I think and boy was he average. I don't think competitive gaming has the kind of mainstream appeal equivalent to other sports. The reason? The personalities. Save two or three cool hosses, not many of them are star quality.Vandalvideo

exactly, most pro gamers are complete losers and the most boring people to talk to. Pro Gaming won't get notice in the U.S until gamers get their social skills together. Korea has it down already though, asian people are just more down to earth in my opinion.

JzkBoxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JzkBoxer

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Meh, Wendel is a beast in twitch based games like Quake and Unreal, but he was in TI for COD I think and boy was he average. I don't think competitive gaming has the kind of mainstream appeal equivalent to other sports. The reason? The personalities. Save two or three cool hosses, not many of them are star quality.HoldThePhone

exactly, most pro gamers are complete losers and the most boring people to talk to. Pro Gaming won't get notice in the U.S until gamers get their social skills together. Korea has it down already though, asian people are just more down to earth in my opinion.

Hence why a part of me wishes I'd invest the time in trying to get good at some competitive games. Nothing draws attention like a loud mouth/trash talker, and that's something I do without recieving a paycheck. :lol:

primetime2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 primetime2121
Member since 2004 • 3953 Posts

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Meh, Wendel is a beast in twitch based games like Quake and Unreal, but he was in TI for COD I think and boy was he average. I don't think competitive gaming has the kind of mainstream appeal equivalent to other sports. The reason? The personalities. Save two or three cool hosses, not many of them are star quality.HoldThePhone

I think you just insulted PC gamers with that comment

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="HoldThePhone"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Meh, Wendel is a beast in twitch based games like Quake and Unreal, but he was in TI for COD I think and boy was he average. I don't think competitive gaming has the kind of mainstream appeal equivalent to other sports. The reason? The personalities. Save two or three cool hosses, not many of them are star quality.primetime2121

No he insulted Pro gamers, and rightfully so. PC gamer =/= pro gamer.
HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HoldThePhone
[QUOTE="HoldThePhone"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Meh, Wendel is a beast in twitch based games like Quake and Unreal, but he was in TI for COD I think and boy was he average. I don't think competitive gaming has the kind of mainstream appeal equivalent to other sports. The reason? The personalities. Save two or three cool hosses, not many of them are star quality.primetime2121

some of my best friends are gamers, but they arnt hardcore. I absoultely hate hardcore gamers. you know, the kids who talk about halo during your math class but don't have any idea what they are talking about, buy you don't want to correct them because you'd be socializing with complete losers about videogames. those are the kinds of people who pro-game. they are some really cool players out there though, but the majority of gamers in general have awful social skills and arnt good at making themselves look pretty.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
kinda cool seeing it on tv
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

[QUOTE="soulkeeper90"]I played him once or twice in CS:S. He is a beast...
hondacrx898

?

his game is UT2004, but even so, he might play CS. but just because you faced some with the name Fatal1ty on cs doesnt mean it was him.

unless you played him lan.

I just finished looking at http://www.fatal1ty.com/fatal1ty/stats/and he plays countere strike a lot considering he has placed 1st in numerous counter strike tournaments in 2004. It looks like his main games are the quake franchise though but painkiller is up there as well.
Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Zeliard9
Member since 2007 • 6030 Posts
I was in one of fatal1ty's Quake 1 (actually Quakeworld) clans before he got huge in Quake 3. While undoubtedly a monster in Q3, he was actually quite average in Q1/QW. The main reason you know his name right now and why he's the most visible e-sports guy is because he was dominant in Q3 pretty early on, and Q3 was probably the first huge international tourney game. He was quite infamous back then in the "community" for practicing over 8 hours a day (literally), which is one of the reasons he got good at Q3 so quickly. He simply played a lot more than most others and treatedthe whole thinglike a job. Probably not a bad idea, since he's made quite a bit of money of his gaming.
-Sora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 -Sora
[QUOTE="-Sora"]

mattbbpl

You and me both. Can you believe people are lobbying to get Poker into the Olympics?

Yea , thats just really weird :P

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="-Sora"]

-Sora

You'd be suprised the kind of extra training some people go through to improve their reaction timing. I was previously a soccer player and ended up taking kick boxing to improve my reaction timing. (.154 right now). Also eat foods heavy in anti-oxidants. But I would consider some competitive gamers as athletes.
HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HoldThePhone
[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="-Sora"]

-Sora

]

to call them athletes is a no-no, but to recognize professional gaming as a sport is completly reasonable. Tell my why it isn't.

HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HoldThePhone
[QUOTE="-Sora"][QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="-Sora"]

Vandalvideo

You'd be suprised the kind of extra training some people go through to improve their reaction timing. I was previously a soccer player and ended up taking kick boxing to improve my reaction timing. (.154 right now). Also eat foods heavy in anti-oxidants. But I would consider some competitive gamers as athletes.

what do anti-oxidants do? i need to boost my reaction time for CS

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Vandalvideo
what do anti-oxidants do? i need to boost my reaction time for CSHoldThePhone
Improve eye strength and help a little with reaction timing.
HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HoldThePhone

[QUOTE="HoldThePhone"]what do anti-oxidants do? i need to boost my reaction time for CSVandalvideo

mm, so carrots?

-Sora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 -Sora
[QUOTE="-Sora"][QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="-Sora"]

Vandalvideo

thats interesting info. I mean im all for tournaments in stuff, just i dont see them as athletes imo

Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Hoobinator
Member since 2006 • 6899 Posts

# Fatal1ty is a world class soccer player, which is great and all, but not that special when you take into account that the world's best source of athletes ( America ) doesn't even encourage their best athletes to play that sport.

JzkBoxer

Which means what exactly? Most american sports aren't played by half the world and you still have the temerity to call many series "world" series???

Soccer is played by the majority of the world.

To call yourself the best at "soccer" means a hell of a lot more than any US centric sport, played by and only for americans.
HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 HoldThePhone
[QUOTE="JzkBoxer"]

# Fatal1ty is a world class soccer player, which is great and all, but not that special when you take into account that the world's best source of athletes ( America ) doesn't even encourage their best athletes to play that sport.

Hoobinator

Which means what exactly? Most american sports aren't played by half the world and you still have the temerity to call many series "world" series???

To call yourself the best at "soccer" means a hell of a lot more than any US centric sport, played by and only for americans.

all we have is american football thats american only, baseball is HUGE in japan.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BumFluff122

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="HoldThePhone"]what do anti-oxidants do? i need to boost my reaction time for CSHoldThePhone

mm, so carrots?

try pommegranates. They are one of the most anti-oxidant fruits in the world I believe. Though they taste disgusting.
JzkBoxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JzkBoxer
[QUOTE="JzkBoxer"]

Hoobinator

What I was saying was that soccer is a 3rd or 4th class sport here in the U.S., therefore our athletes don't compete in it, and if the Olympics are any indication, the U.S. is far and away the leader in producing athletes in summer sports. If our best athletes played and were trained their entire life in soccer, we'd dominate the sport on a scale never seen before. Why am I so confident in that? Probably because our 3rd and 4th class athletes are hanging in there against the other countries' best.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BumFluff122
Americans are the best at basketball. Canadians are the best at hovckey. Australians are the best at rugby.
JzkBoxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JzkBoxer
[QUOTE="Hoobinator"][QUOTE="JzkBoxer"]

HoldThePhone

all we have is american football thats american only, baseball is HUGE in japan.

And why do you think the rest of the world doesn't even attempt to compete with us in it? Oh yeah, because they don't have anyone fast enough to stay within 25-30 yards of our wide recievers, nobody big and athletic enough to hold back a 280+ pound guy that can run the 40 in 4.6 seconds, etc.

Seriously, why do they think we don't care when they beat us at soccer? I'll tell you why, because the fact that our 3rd and 4th string athletes are hanging with them is a victory in itself.

Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Hoobinator
[QUOTE="Hoobinator"][QUOTE="JzkBoxer"]

JzkBoxer

What I was saying was that soccer is a 3rd or 4th class sport here in the U.S., therefore our athletes don't compete in it, and if the Olympics are any indication, the U.S. is far and away the leader in producing athletes in summer sports. If our best athletes played and were trained their entire life in soccer, we'd dominate the sport on a scale never seen before. Why am I so confident in that? Probably because our 3rd and 4th class athletes are hanging in there against the other countries' best.

The US is NOT far and away the leader in the olympics, look at China only marginally behind you and has been catching up fast. Take a look at Athens 2004 chart table. This table demolishes your idea of american supremacy at Olympics, the US is only marginally ahead.

Now here's the logic, combine all the soccer playing nations totals against the US and you'll see the world destroys the US in terms of medals earned at the olympics. The world plays soccer, therefore an athlete in soccer can justifiably call himself a world beater, since he plays regularly against world opponents.

The same can't be said for american sports. An american sport athlete cannot lay claim to be a world beater since he does not compete against the world.

JzkBoxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JzkBoxer

Americans are the best at basketball. Canadians are the best at hovckey. Australians are the best at rugby.BumFluff122

Winter sports like hockey are a different story, but trust me when I say that we would dominate any summer sport if we took strides towards doing so. I ask myself daily: " I wonder if anyone in the entire continent of Europe could keep up with Ted Ginn or Reggie Bush in a footrace? " or " I wonder if anyone in Europe is capable of throwing a football 40 yards at close to 60 miles per hour? "

HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 HoldThePhone
i was in japan a few weeks ago at a highschool playing basket ball with the kids there (were the same age). I am AWFUL at basketball but i was actuallly one of the better players on the team, and my friend who plays bball in the U.S completely slaughtered them. silly japanese. although kendo is quite badass.
Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Hoobinator
[QUOTE="HoldThePhone"][QUOTE="Hoobinator"][QUOTE="JzkBoxer"]

JzkBoxer

Seriously, why do they think we don't care when they beat us at soccer? I'll tell you why, because the fact that our 3rd and 4th string athletes are hanging with them is a victory in itself.

:| The US soccer team is rubbish. It just got knocked out in the opening rounds of the Copa America, they're not "hanging out" with anyone, apart from hanging out in some bar drowing their sorrows.

Take off your patriotic glasses, they're blinding you from the truth.

JzkBoxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 JzkBoxer
[QUOTE="JzkBoxer"][QUOTE="Hoobinator"][QUOTE="JzkBoxer"]

Hoobinator

The US is NOT far and away the leader in the olympics, look at China only marginally behind you and has been catching up fast. Take a look at Athens 2004 chart table. This table demolishes your idea of american supremacy at Olympics, the US is only marginally ahead.

Now here's the logic, combine all the soccer playing nations totals against the US and you'll see the world destroys the US in terms of medals earned at the olympics. The world plays soccer, therefore an athlete in soccer can justifiably call himself a world beater, since he plays regularly against world opponents.

The same can't be said for american sports. An american sport athlete cannot lay claim to be a world beater since he does not compete against the world.

Dude, have you ever watched American sports? I have yet to see a European athlete that can keep up with some of the faster players in the NFL, or even college football.

By the way, as for the summer olympics: I think we just took every last medal in swimming again. :lol: