40% of Dark Soul series sales are from PC

• 123 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@asylumni: True, but companies dont usually count them in their total until they are actually sold. Thats why they announce shipped and sold numbers. Just cause you shipped 2 million of a product doesnt mean that many people bought it, just means 2 million can if they want to. Companies will never bragg about shipped numbers unless its all they can bragg about.

Actually, that's usually all they can brag about. To find out how many were sold to customers, they would have to contact every store around the world, who would then have to do an inventory check with every outlet they have. That's why you usually only see sold through (to customers) numbers from console manufacturers near the beginning of the gen when store stock is extremely tight and the manufacturers are working hand-in-hand with the retailers to get the product to the right places. It's usually not worth the effort for manufacturers to get this information since the sale to the customer doesn't affect their financials directly.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#102  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@chaplainDMK said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:

Hermits so desperate to defend sales on PC....they're reposting something from a month ago.

Why do you have the Tribes logo if you hate hermits so much? Pretty much the definition of a hardcore PC title

Even though I get called a cow....I'm actually a manticore.

It's a long story....but in short: most of the hermits here are really....bad.

Thats all I have to say about that.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#103  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

@asylumni said:
@mesome713 said:

@asylumni: True, but companies dont usually count them in their total until they are actually sold. Thats why they announce shipped and sold numbers. Just cause you shipped 2 million of a product doesnt mean that many people bought it, just means 2 million can if they want to. Companies will never bragg about shipped numbers unless its all they can bragg about.

Actually, that's usually all they can brag about. To find out how many were sold to customers, they would have to contact every store around the world, who would then have to do an inventory check with every outlet they have. That's why you usually only see sold through (to customers) numbers from console manufacturers near the beginning of the gen when store stock is extremely tight and the manufacturers are working hand-in-hand with the retailers to get the product to the right places. It's usually not worth the effort for manufacturers to get this information since the sale to the customer doesn't affect their financials directly.

They have ways of keeping track, they just have to wait awhile to get good numbers. For example, Nintendo always announces sold numbers instead of shipped.

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Mr-Powers
Member since 2013 • 508 Posts

@mesome713 said:
@asylumni said:
@mesome713 said:

They have ways of keeping track, they just have to wait awhile to get good numbers. For example, Nintendo always announces sold numbers instead of shipped.

The only way to track that is to contact each store and see if they sould through their stock. Or send representatives to look at shelves. There is no international one size fit's all infrastructure that keeps track of each copy in every store. It's much easier to count shipped as sold, which is why everyone does it.

This argument was settled on SW like at the beginning of last generation. And people are still bringing it up?

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Mr-Powers

@TheFadeForever said:
@mr-powers said:
@asylumni said:
@mesome713 said:

That was 1.2 million shipped, not sold (which is the same though). Also, that figure includes Japan sales. So that leaves 1.1 million to PC.

Actually, From Software published the title themselves in Japan, do it's not included in Bandai's 1.2 million.

Ouch. Also, when we account for how many of the PC sales were from deep discounts, it's no wonder From signed a multi game exclusive deal with Sony.

Dark Souls 2 had no deep discount on PC

Dark souls 2 was the only souls game on PC? You know better than that. Stop wasting everyone's time with your deceptive arguments. Good bye.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#106 deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

@mr-powers said:
@mesome713 said:
@asylumni said:
@mesome713 said:

The only way to track that is to contact each store and see if they sould through their stock. Or send representatives to look at shelves. There is no international one size fit's all infrastructure that keeps track of each copy in every store. It's much easier to count shipped as sold, which is why everyone does it.

This argument was settled on SW like at the beginning of last generation. And people are still bringing it up?

There is this thing called computers that do all that for you mate. Its just takes time to get the info. How else do you think they announce sold numbers so much? by guessing?

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Mr-Powers

@naz99 said:
@mr-powers said:
@asylumni said:
@mesome713 said:

That was 1.2 million shipped, not sold (which is the same though). Also, that figure includes Japan sales. So that leaves 1.1 million to PC.

Actually, From Software published the title themselves in Japan, do it's not included in Bandai's 1.2 million.

Ouch. Also, when we account for how many of the PC sales were from deep discounts, it's no wonder From signed a multi game exclusive deal with Sony.

So you gonna provide evidence for that claim or like the rest of consolites here are we just supposed to believe your random opinions?, because you said so (rhetorical question i already know the answer)

I personally would like to know how many were sold at deep discount, you seem so sure you must have the proof at hand right? :)

At the end of the day the DS series sold WAY better than they ever expected it to on the PC, who gives a crap about the numbers,we originally were never going to get the game so.......its still a win,win for everyone.

I don't think you are denying that steam games often sell more when they are on sale. Every time there was a sale I saw it posted on this forum and people posting about how it was time to buy. I don't know any PC friends who bought Dark Souls 1 at full price, and you hear on this forum the reasons why. The situation was a bit better for DS2, of course. I would like to know the exact figure as well, however. I've seen charts for other titles. I'd like to know how many people bought the game dirt cheap and never even went passed the character creator.

SImple economics. Most of the series' base is on playstation, some people here are obviously in denial about that. From Software, the creators, recognize where their base is and signed a multi-year, multi-game deal with Sony. They wouldn't have done that if the majority of their base was elsewhere. It's fine that the series is doing good on PC as well, but the reality is that it still sells better on Playstation and does so when it's priced higher(Launch for example)= more revenue.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#108 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

No, it's not by guessing, it's what they sold and they sell to retailers. Nobody is saying it can't be done, it just isn't. Even with computers, it's a lot of retailers that need contacted, as well as other distributors which in turn would have to contact their retailers. It's a lot of work for what could at best be an estimate since it will continue to sell as the data is gathered, so they just use shipped as sold. That's the number they have and that's how they count their sales, since to them, it is a sale.

@mesome713 said:
@mr-powers said:

There is this thing called computers that do all that for you mate. Its just takes time to get the info. How else do you think they announce sold numbers so much? by guessing?

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#109  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@mr-powers said:
@naz99 said:
@mr-powers said:
@asylumni said:
@mesome713 said:

So you gonna provide evidence for that claim or like the rest of consolites here are we just supposed to believe your random opinions?, because you said so (rhetorical question i already know the answer)

I personally would like to know how many were sold at deep discount, you seem so sure you must have the proof at hand right? :)

At the end of the day the DS series sold WAY better than they ever expected it to on the PC, who gives a crap about the numbers,we originally were never going to get the game so.......its still a win,win for everyone.

I don't think you are denying that steam games often sell more when they are on sale. Every time there was a sale I saw it posted on this forum and people posting about how it was time to buy. I don't know any PC friends who bought Dark Souls 1 at full price, and you hear on this forum the reasons why. The situation was a bit better for DS2, of course. I would like to know the exact figure as well, however. I've seen charts for other titles. I'd like to know how many people bought the game dirt cheap and never even went passed the character creator.

SImple economics. Most of the series' base is on playstation, some people here are obviously in denial about that. From Software, the creators, recognize where their base is and signed a multi-year, multi-game deal with Sony. They wouldn't have done that if the majority of their base was elsewhere. It's fine that the series is doing good on PC as well, but the reality is that it still sells better on Playstation and does so when it's priced higher(Launch for example)= more revenue.

.. From Software signed exclusivity with PlayStation because Sony gave them a big check to offset the large population from both PC and XboxOne that would not have access to it.. Your talking out of your ass now.. It is why multiplats are so rampant now, because these developers are finding it harder and harder not to go multiplat due to the immense population it is excluding.. Even when they are offered a bonus by the specific console maker.... And you completely ignored the USED Game industry in which Gamestop makes a consistent business of rebuying games for less than half the price, only to resell it for $5 or $10 below the retail price of a brand new game.... All money that the dev never sees...

BlueEyedCasva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By BlueEyedCasva
Member since 2015 • 599 Posts

@mr-powers said:
@TheFadeForever said:
@mr-powers said:
@asylumni said:
@mesome713 said:

Dark Souls 2 had no deep discount on PC

Dark souls 2 was the only souls game on PC? You know better than that. Stop wasting everyone's time with your deceptive arguments. Good bye.

You realize Dark Souls was like 5 dollars on sale for xbox live before so don't think they never had deep discount for the game on console. I got the second for $19.99 from Fry Electronic for PS3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@MBirdy88: You never cease to amaze me with your lackluster "u mad" posting.

If you didn't get mad at the slightest little upset, I wouldn't be saying it <3.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@MBirdy88: I'm furious. Hear me RAWR!!

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

DSII PS3 sales: over 1.2m

360 around 0.5m

PC around 0.13m

which makes sense.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/72895/dark-souls-ii/

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@mr-powers said:
@naz99 said:
@mr-powers said:
@asylumni said:
@mesome713 said:

All games sell more on any platform when they are on sale.........not really making a point there.

You are aware that DS has also been on sale on the consoles many many times aren't you?, or are you claiming that people dont buy DS on sale for consoles?, funny how you dont mention that, either way it makes your point moot.

Also they signed an exclusiivity deal because sony threw money at them as is always the case with these things....it's simple as that, or do you think they liimited themselves to one platform for nothing?

Opinions are not facts...proof or GTFO...

"I think this and i saw that" is not a solid enough basis to prove a point......debate 101.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts
@alcapello said:

360 around 0.5m

PC around 0.13m

which makes sense.

You are aware that thats only boxed copies, right?

Considering there are digital copies for all 3 systems whats the point of posting inaccurate sales numbers just for retail, and especially for the PC where the lions share is mostly digital??

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#117 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@naz99 said:
@alcapello said:

360 around 0.5m

PC around 0.13m

which makes sense.

You are aware that thats only boxed copies, right?

Considering there are digital copies for all 3 systems whats the point of posting inaccurate sales numbers just for retail, and especially for the PC where the lions share is mostly digital??

You forgot the obligatory "lolVGchartz" It's in the rules ;)

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@abtoxin: $5 Steam sales add up. Bet they have made more from PS.

BlueEyedCasva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By BlueEyedCasva
Member since 2015 • 599 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:

@abtoxin: $5 Steam sales add up. Bet they have made more from PS.

You do realize dark souls was $5-7 on console as well when they were on sale. DSII on the other hand has never been under 10 dollars on steam.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#120 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

@blueeyedcasva: True story. I got DS 1 on 360 for 5 bucks.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

It's great that Dark Souls is so popular on PC because that's just more Hermits feeling butthurt that they'll never play Demons Souls or Bloodborn on their third world nerd rigs lol!

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Its so popular on PC because its the hackers dream. You can literally f*ck up some1's build with cursed items forever (360/ps3 too, tho)

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#123 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19689 Posts

@alcapello said:

360 around 0.5m

PC around 0.13m

which makes sense.

That PC figure is wrong. Here's what DS2 actually sold on Steam:

DARK SOULS II (SteamSpy)

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

@Jag85 said:
@alcapello said:

360 around 0.5m

PC around 0.13m

which makes sense.

That PC figure is wrong. Here's what DS2 actually sold on Steam:

DARK SOULS II (SteamSpy)

Oh no no, those numbers were already proven wrong in another thread, and earlier in this thread based on official numbers released by namco bandaii.