30,000 + 220+ 170+ 70= Heavy Rain.

• 140 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

Heavy Rain Aims to Redefine Video Game Storytelling.

"Cage is keeping mum on the plot, in part because it changes depending on how one plays the game. A professional musician who gravitated to gaming 11 years ago after designing music for games, Cage spent 15 months writing 6,000 pages of notes and references and the 2,000-page script that powers Heavy Rain. The porous script is packed with 30,000 words of non-lineardialogue, which has been brought to life by a cast of 70 actors and stuntmen. Currently, a development team of over 220 peoplewill bring the extensive motion-captured action - the largest ever for a videogame - into a narrative that gamers can explore.

"The key was to find a structure that had a solid backbone and a potential for non-linearity and then I introduce a fractal structure, since we don't tell a story that's 90 minutes long like a typical Hollywood film," said Cage. " Each scene becomes a short movie in itself. Sometimes parts of a scene have that same structure. It's interesting to have consistency between this."

Despite the gargantuan script and the unprecedented 170-day mo-cap shoot, players won't find many cut scenes in Heavy Rain. Cage uses cut scenes only when there is no other way to relay part of the story. The core of the gameplay is for the story to unfold around the player. Like many game developers, Cage believes cut scenes are bad."

Link.

1. 30,000 words of non linear dialogue.
  2. Development team of over 220 people.
  3. 170 days of motion capture.
  4. 70 actors and stuntmen.

So what do you get with that amount of dedication towards a game?

deathtoallgods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deathtoallgods
Member since 2007 • 577 Posts
Interactive movie? No thank you.
HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HoldThePhone
Member since 2007 • 3364 Posts
Interactive movie? No thank you.deathtoallgods
If its entertaining isn't that what counts?
ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts
it would be if what you can do is limitless. Like say you are running away from a serial killer and you have like 100 choices. What will you do? Run? fight? dance?
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#5 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
I think all this hype will lead to complaints of weak story
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
I think all this hype will lead to complaints of weak storyToriko42
I expect the opposite. I expect an amazing game-movie that most people here will ultimately hate because its slow and story driven and they went in expecting fast paced, Max Payne type of game.
HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HAZE-Unit

Interactive movie? No thank you.deathtoallgods
Calling it a movie as negative means two things. 1- either you dislike watching movies because you consider it being movie like as a bad thing.

2- you are too young to accept and understand something like this to play, it's for adults you know, the developer is aiming for a particular audience.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Toriko42
[QUOTE="Toriko42"]I think all this hype will lead to complaints of weak storySpruceCaboose
I expect the opposite. I expect an amazing game-movie that most people here will ultimately hate because its slow and story driven and they went in expecting fast paced, Max Payne type of game.

Quite possible Either way overhyping the story though can only lead to bad things, look at how people nitpicked GeOW2's story. I expect the same for Heavy Rain.
MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MarloStanfield
Member since 2008 • 2409 Posts
have they said anything about the quicktime events in this? that stuff does my head in. They already said they're getting rid of the supernatural rubbish from farenheit which is good
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts
[QUOTE="deathtoallgods"]Interactive movie? No thank you.HoldThePhone

In a video game the entertainment needs to come more from the gameplay, not the cinematics.
HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HoldThePhone
[QUOTE="HoldThePhone"][QUOTE="deathtoallgods"]Interactive movie? No thank you.nintendofreak_2

In a video game the entertainment needs to come more from the gameplay, not the cinematics.

oh so it all depends on the label, and not if you're having an enjoyable experience -- gotcha.
HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HAZE-Unit
I think all this hype will lead to complaints of weak storyToriko42
I don't think so, Cage said in an interview a while ago they went to Hollywood to double check the story and edit it for the best.
Bauer_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bauer_24
Member since 2006 • 294 Posts
With that much dedication toward a game...... Heavy Rain could easily be GAME OF THE GENERATION! :shock:
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nintendofreak_2

oh so it all depends on the label, and not if you're having an enjoyable experience -- gotcha.HoldThePhone
Well if you want to spend $50 on a movie when you could be spending less than half of that for a better and higher quality experience be my guest.

The point is video games are meant to be played.They're meant to be interactive. They're not meant to be watched.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HAZE-Unit
[QUOTE="Toriko42"]I think all this hype will lead to complaints of weak storySpruceCaboose

You are comparing two different genres, Max Payne was third person action game, Heavy Rain is in the adventure genre, if they want another max payne, they should wait for Alan Wake and even Alan Wake looks like to be a slower game than Max Payne.
kingfire11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kingfire11
Member since 2005 • 1498 Posts
And people called MGS4 an interactive movie....
deathtoallgods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deathtoallgods

Ummmm no, I play games so that I can be in control. I have control issues.
HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HAZE-Unit

[QUOTE="HoldThePhone"]oh so it all depends on the label, and not if you're having an enjoyable experience -- gotcha.nintendofreak_2

Well if you want to spend $50 on a movie when you could be spending less than half of that for a better and higher quality experience be my guest.

The point is video games are meant to be played.They're meant to be interactive. They're not meant to be watched.

And where did you get the idea that we play games blind folded? Videogames are meant to be interactive and so does Heavy Rain, what are you talking about? those "cutscenes" are fully interactive so don't give me the famous "it's on PS3 and it has cutscens, lets call it a movie"
HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HoldThePhone

[QUOTE="HoldThePhone"]oh so it all depends on the label, and not if you're having an enjoyable experience -- gotcha.nintendofreak_2

what about $50 for an interactive movie that 6x as long as a regular $15-20 DVD? your sounding ignorant here, of course it is a video game. just because it is cinematic doesn't mean it isn't fun -- look at the success of MGS.
hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

[QUOTE="HoldThePhone"][QUOTE="deathtoallgods"]Interactive movie? No thank you.nintendofreak_2

This is so wrong. I can't agree with you on this on. Sometimes cinematics are the most engaging to a particular user. It just depends on how the user interprets it and makes it his own. Those cinematics are the reason I have been and will continue to game in the future. They are a form of entertainment. I love doing both and when you combine them in videogames its just as good to me

Gameplay is just a plus.

PUG_NASTY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PUG_NASTY
Member since 2008 • 286 Posts

didnt he say that he doesnt like cut scenes and that thier wont be many?....you fail

Avatar image for WatchmenWatchUs
WatchmenWatchUs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WatchmenWatchUs
Member since 2008 • 445 Posts
*HYPED*
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Toriko42
[QUOTE="Toriko42"]I think all this hype will lead to complaints of weak storyHAZE-Unit
I don't think so, Cage said in an interview a while ago they went to Hollywood to double check the story and edit it for the best.

Well...that doesn't mean much Since when has Hollywood been known as a Mecca of story telling Independant pictures have far better stories. In the end we won't know how good the story is till we play it
deathtoallgods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deathtoallgods

[QUOTE="deathtoallgods"]Interactive movie? No thank you.HAZE-Unit

Calling it a movie as negative means two things. 1- either you dislike watching movies because you consider it being movie like as a bad thing.

2- you are too young to accept and understand something like this to play, it's for adults you know, the developer is aiming for a particular audience.

Yes, I am much too young to understand that mixing movies and games has been a terrible concept for a loooong time. Go look up Night Trap young one.
HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HoldThePhone
[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"]

[QUOTE="deathtoallgods"]Interactive movie? No thank you.deathtoallgods

Yes, I am much too young to understand that mixing movies and games has been a terrible concept for a loooong time. Go look up Night Trap young one.

MGS is famous because it mixed cinematics with games, i'm so confused with your opinions.
Rockclmbr6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 Rockclmbr6
Member since 2004 • 3232 Posts
Things like this make me very happy I saw a faint HDMI logo through one of my Christmas presents today :D
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nintendofreak_2

what about $50 for an interactive movie that 6x as long as a regular $15-20 DVD? your sounding ignorant here, of course it is a video game. just because it is cinematic doesn't mean it isn't fun -- look at the success of MGS.HoldThePhone
Haven't played MGS.

I buy video games to play them. I don't mind cinematics so long as they aren't a large portion of the games. You can buy a video game to watch it if you want to, but I'd rather use them for what they're inended to be. Video games don't need to try to replace or imitate movies.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="Toriko42"]I think all this hype will lead to complaints of weak storyHAZE-Unit

You are comparing two different genres, Max Payne was third person action game, Heavy Rain is in the adventure genre, if they want another max payne, they should wait for Alan Wake and even Alan Wake looks like to be a slower game than Max Payne.

You just accused me of doing what I said I expect uninformed gamers to do, which I stated in my post....
cuddlesofwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 cuddlesofwar
Member since 2008 • 1138 Posts
[QUOTE="deathtoallgods"][QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"] Calling it a movie as negative means two things. 1- either you dislike watching movies because you consider it being movie like as a bad thing.

HoldThePhone

MGS is famous because it mixed cinematics with games, i'm so confused with your opinions.

Lol. MGS' story and cinematics are actually very light compared to what heavy Rain will be. MGS also had many game mechanics. Heavy Rain is just an interactive movie. Many will argue that if they wanted a movie, they'd buy one.
Avatar image for Tragic_Kingdom7
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Tragic_Kingdom7
Member since 2008 • 4011 Posts

With that much dedication toward a game...... Heavy Rain could easily be GAME OF THE GENERATION! :shock:Bauer_24

Too bad it doesn't work like that. Dedication is not as important as talent. I'm not saying anything about the folks developing Heavy Rain, but the dedication=great game is not a good argument.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HAZE-Unit
[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"][QUOTE="Toriko42"]I think all this hype will lead to complaints of weak storyToriko42

Well...that doesn't mean much Since when has Hollywood been known as a Mecca of story telling Independant pictures have far better stories. In the end we won't know how good the story is till we play it

Im talking about the dialogue to feel like Hollywood, thats what I meant, the scenario :)
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SpruceCaboose
Lol. MGS' story and cinematics are actually very light compared to what heavy Rain will be. MGS also had many game mechanics. Heavy Rain is just an interactive movie. Many will argue that if they wanted a movie, they'd buy one.cuddlesofwar
Do you only want 1 genre of video game to exist?
HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HoldThePhone
[QUOTE="HoldThePhone"][QUOTE="deathtoallgods"] Yes, I am much too young to understand that mixing movies and games has been a terrible concept for a loooong time. Go look up Night Trap young one.cuddlesofwar

Lol. MGS' story and cinematics are actually very light compared to what heavy Rain will be. MGS also had many game mechanics. Heavy Rain is just an interactive movie. Many will argue that if they wanted a movie, they'd buy one.

in all seriousness this look a bit more fun than your typical movie, i guess we'll find out.
kingfire11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kingfire11
Member since 2005 • 1498 Posts
[QUOTE="deathtoallgods"][QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"] Calling it a movie as negative means two things. 1- either you dislike watching movies because you consider it being movie like as a bad thing.

HoldThePhone

It's famous because it had a great story backed up with revolutionary gameplay back then. it simply took a very rare genre (stealth) and made a semi-perfect series out of it with fresh and good gameplay. many games had great stories and were like movies, fulled with cut scenes and such things... but a lot of these games failed simply because they weren't fun at all. I actually hate the direction that Heavy Rain is heading to. If you want to create a movie, just create movie. Leave the video game industry for its people.
HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HAZE-Unit
[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] I expect the opposite. I expect an amazing game-movie that most people here will ultimately hate because its slow and story driven and they went in expecting fast paced, Max Payne type of game.SpruceCaboose

You just accused me of doing what I said I expect uninformed gamers to do, which I stated in my post....

oops my bad, I thought you said something else lol.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"] oops my bad, I thought you said something else lol.

Tis ok.
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Tragic_Kingdom7
I don't have anything against cutscene heavy games per se, since they are not that common (and in MGS's case, it makes for something different one in a while), but I fail to see the fascination with cutscenes. They seem outdated and less effective than in-game storytelling techniques and gameplay scenarios which communicate the story. If games that employ heavy amounts of cutscenes could find ways to reduce this number and incorporate the awesome things that happen in the cutscenes into the gameplay, those games would be alot better off IMO. These kind of games would stop having such a clunky pace and would start to seem truly immersive.
X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts
Eh.. As long as it's fun, that's what counts. I hope it turns out to be good.
Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts
What the hell is non linear dialogue? Like Mass Effect?
HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 HAZE-Unit
I don't have anything against cutscene heavy games per se, since they are not that common (and in MGS's case, it makes for something different one in a while), but I fail to see the fascination with cutscenes. They seem outdated and less effective than in-game storytelling techniques and gameplay scenarios which communicate the story. If games that emply heavy amounts of cutscenes could find ways to reduce this number and incorporate the awesome things that happen in the cutscenes into the gameplay, those games would be alot better off IMO. These kind of games would stop having such a clunky pace and would start to seem truly immersive. Tragic_Kingdom7
As I said before, the cutscenes are fully interactive and if you read the highlighted, he said 30,000 words of non linear dialogue, what does that mean? it means the game is completely at your control.
HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 HAZE-Unit
What the hell is non linear dialogue? Like Mass Effect?Juggernaut140
Yup :D
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#42 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="Toriko42"]I think all this hype will lead to complaints of weak storyToriko42

Quite possible Either way overhyping the story though can only lead to bad things, look at how people nitpicked GeOW2's story. I expect the same for Heavy Rain.

People hype any game these days.
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DeadMan1290
[QUOTE="Juggernaut140"]What the hell is non linear dialogue? Like Mass Effect?HAZE-Unit

What's it supposed to be RPG?
EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts

It's like a movie game, or a movie of a game. There will be chaos. From an interview I saw before I can't remember their words exactly, but it sounded like an interactive movie.
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Tragic_Kingdom7
It's famous because it had a great story backed up with revolutionary gameplay back then. it simply took a very rare genre (stealth) and made a semi-perfect series out of it with fresh and good gameplay. many games had great stories and were like movies, fulled with cut scenes and such things... but a lot of these games failed simply because they weren't fun at all. I actually hate the direction that Heavy Rain is heading to. If you want to create a movie, just create movie. Leave the video game industry for its people.kingfire11

I don't agree.

MGS was famous, because it is incorporated story into a game like no other game had before. That was its draw. The gameplay was always kind of an afterthought. People tended to overlook the clunky controls and other gameplay issues because of the way it fused story into a good gameplay experience with tons of great and creative "moments".

I take issue with the semi-perfect/revolutionary claim. It wasn't the gameplay that was revolutionary, it was how the story was fused with the gameplay. As for the actual gameplay, I fail to see how it was semi-perfect. There are tons of games with far better gameplay mechanics with than MGS series: better shooting, better controls, etc. MGS is a whole is greater than the sum of the parts kind of deal. Other games may have better mechanics (shooting, etc.) but MGS offers more when looking at the bigger picture.

In MGS, I believe the storyelling is what distinguishes it, not the gameplay.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts
Could Heavy Rain be the best adventure game? I hope the story is good
HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 HAZE-Unit
[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"][QUOTE="Juggernaut140"]What the hell is non linear dialogue? Like Mass Effect?DeadMan1290

You don't know anything about the game, do you? heheh It's an adventure/thriller game with interactive cutscenes, if you want to experience their last game which will make you know how Heavy Rain is going to be, download it on XBL if you have 360 or buy it, it's called indigo prophecy, amazing game.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts
[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"][QUOTE="Juggernaut140"]What the hell is non linear dialogue? Like Mass Effect?DeadMan1290

No it is an adventure title
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DeadMan1290
[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"][QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"] Yup :D HAZE-Unit

You don't know anything about the game, do you? heheh It's an adventure/thriller game with interactive cutscenes, if you want to experience their last game which will make you know how Heavy Rain is going to be, download it on XBL if you have 360 or buy it, it's called indigo prophecy, amazing game.

Nope, I know nothing:P Sorry:( But, since I saw that video of that girl crying like 3 years ago lol. Since then meh.....
dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts
Wow. The developers are starting to notice the PS3 as a console where they can really extend their creativity. I believe we will see much more of this in the future.