Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Brah4ever
Member since 2016 • 1704 Posts

In terms of games and hell technology in general.

Nothing has really changed this decade aside from slightly better graphics and micro-transactions.

The last decade saw rapid innovation and progress, in terms of games and hell just technology in general.

To name a few, HDTVs, Smart Phones, Tablets, Social media, Online gaming stores/services (Steam, PSN, XBL), games that were actually pushing graphics such as the jump from PS1 to PS2 or PS2 to PS3. A lot more game innovation and risk (inb4 teh indies) from bigger publishers. DS, Kinect, Wii, PS Move, XBL, PSN, Dreamcast, PS2-PS3 gen. Current consoles are basically 6th gen consoles with better graphics. The actual core gameplay components of most games has barely changed than that of a decade ago (like seriously, what makes the PS4 sooo much different than the PS3?).

Usually a new gen is supposed to feel well...like a new gen. This one is more akin to upgrading the specs on a PC. Nothing too different, just games look and run better. Same controller designs and what not.

Technological progress outside of refinements has slowed and this is obvious in the gaming sector where everything plays it safe nowadays.

The death of local multiplayer, we have these huge screens but gaming has become a very isolated experience for those who like to enjoy local multiplayer sessions with people. Why? $$$

On the PC side having mod kits was usually standard but were removed because it gave gamers less incentive to buy the next game. Now it's, lets just charge them for a season pass and then add micro-transactions and add in "just enough" content so they"ll buy the same copy and paste game the following year.

What has 2010-Present brought? Nothing, just refinements and nothing else.

Basically everything we enjoy today was released in the last decade and this current decade will be known for nothing other than Micro-Transactions.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Agree, 2002/2004/2007 rocked

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Brah4ever

@indzman said:

Agree, 2002/2004/2007 rocked

I would add 2005 into that mix.

Basically the whole decade was pretty strong (started down-spiraling towards the end a bit though).

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24922 Posts

early 00s to 2007 was amazing era. then its going downhill but TBH this generation is much better than last gen when it comes to quality games because last gen was full of COD clones and scripted QTE games.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Brah4ever

@ghosts4ever said:

early 00s to 2007 was amazing era. then its going downhill but TBH this generation is much better than last gen when it comes to quality games because last gen was full of COD clones and scripted QTE games.

Yeah true, last gen did have a ton of CoD clones.

The variety is definitely better this gen than the last.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#7 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Very true. It's becoming hard to innovate and also becoming riskier due to budget concerns. However Squadron 42 looks dope AF.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#8  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I disagree.

Indies becoming popular was one of the best changes that happened in gaming history.

The ability to easily broadcast and share on consoles is new and fantastic.

VR is incredible. One of the most game changing gaming experiences since the transition from 2D pixelart to 3D polygons.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Brah4ever

@PAL360 said:

I disagree.

Indies becoming popular was one of the best changes that happened in gaming history.

The ability to easily broadcast and share on consoles is new and fantastic.

VR is incredible. One of the most game changing gaming experiences since the transition from 2D pixelart to 3D polygons.

Indie games were always a thing, remember XBL Arcade on the 360? It's just that nobody payed attention to them at the time.

VR like 3D isn't completely matured yet and yes I have an Occulus and a friend has the PSVR. Its like 3D, cool for a bit and then it just sits in the corner of your room only to be used every now and then.

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

@brah4ever: the same logic can be applied to any aspect of life.

Its 2018 and banans no longer have seeds in them. /thread.

Certain things always better the body never gets as nutritious as its baby state.

Nothing gets fully better over time. Let that be lesson for you guys today.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Brah4ever

@Livecommander said:

@brah4ever: the same logic can be applied to any aspect of life.

Its 2018 and banans no longer have seeds in them. /thread.

Certain things always better the body never gets as nutritious as its baby state.

Nothing gets fully better over time. Let that be lesson for you guys today.

wut?
wut?

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PAL360

@brah4ever: That's why i said indies becoming popular. Now small devs are finally getting support and some attention.

As for VR, it's not new and it's still far from perfected, but it's already good and cheap enough to be relevant.

My point is that saying that modern gaming is worse that any past one just shows ignorance. We have new tech, AAA games finally look almost CGI like, indies are bringing more diversity and many dead genres back, games are longer, more polished and there are sales every week with great games at ridiculous low prices. Honestly i don't get what's not to love!

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Brah4ever

@PAL360 said:

@brah4ever: That's why i said indies becoming popular. Now small devs are finally getting support and some attention.

As for VR, it's not new and it's still far from perfected, but it's already good and cheap enough to be relevant.

My point is that saying that modern gaming is worse that any past one just shows ignorance. We have new tech, AAA games finally look almost CGI like, indies are bringing more diversity and many dead genres back, games are longer, more polished and there are sales every week with great games at ridiculous low prices. Honestly i don't get what's not to love!

You do know the good to bad ratio for indie games is like 20 to 1, right?

1 good indie game for every unfinished, unpolished, clunky, or uninspired 16 bit retro rehash.

The production values and polish of a majority of indie games is lacking, you can tell when a game is an indie. Although, not every indie game is like this, some are definitely impressive but the majority are not (check Steam).

Modern gaming from a AAA perspective is worse, set aside the graphics for a minute. The amount of publishers and games these major companies are willing to push out are far less and safer. Of course EA develops a Star Wars game, why not? It's only a billion dollar franchise. If you compare the new IPs from major publishers you will realize that a lot of it is sequels to games you've already played a million times before. Most companies are not willing to take a chance on something that is not guaranteed to turn a profit. Rising development cost and suits replacing the gamers in these companies is a huge reason as to why.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PAL360

@brah4ever: Well, that's your opinion. I have played 80+ indies this generation (between Plus 'offers' and games i bought), and i liked most of them. Many of them are actually brilliant.

Maybe i'm just easy to please, but i'm really glad of that :)

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Brah4ever

@PAL360 said:

@brah4ever: Well, that's your opinion. I have played 80+ indies this generation (between Plus 'offers' and games i bought), and i liked most of them. Many of them are actually brilliant.

Nobody buys a next gen console for indies.

What are some games from publishers this gen that are brilliant or new.

All I see on the shelves are sequels to games I played last gen, and they don't really play any different.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#16 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

I miss those Wii days.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PAL360

@brah4ever: I buy consoles to play good games, doesn't matter to me if they are played in 2D or 3D, or if they are created by one person or a team of hundreds.

Not sure what tou mean by games from publishers?!

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Brah4ever

@PAL360 said:

@brah4ever: I buy consoles to play good games, doesn't matter to me if they are played in 2D or 3D, or if they are created by one person or a team of hundreds.

Not sure what tou mean by games from publishers?!

EA, Activision, Ubi, etc.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

The only innovation after 2010 was in how to milk the stupid.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Brah4ever

@PinchySkree said:

The only innovation after 2010 was in how to milk the stupid.

Funny, but true.

8th Gen innovation: Micro-Transactions and Loot Boxes

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

I barely have new franchises on my PS4 right now. Most of my games are sequels or spinoffs to games I had on my PS3. It is only a year since I got my PS4 and I have barely anything special to play.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

The 8th gen is less innovative than the 7th gen.

The 7th gen is less innovative than the 6th gen.

The 6th gen is less innovative than the 5th gen.

We've been on a downward spiral of innovation for a long time now and I unfortunately see this trend continuing.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PAL360

@brah4ever: I don't support those companies, except Valliant Hearts and Rayman which are fantastic.

The thing is that you guys point those few greedy companies and pretend that they are all we have.

Like i said above, i have played dozens of amazing games this gen from companies i didn't even know they exist.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Meh. The 90's is where real innovation occurred.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Brah4ever

@PAL360 said:

@brah4ever: I don't support those companies, except Valliant Hearts and Rayman which are fantastic.

The thing is that you guys point those few greedy companies and pretend that they are all we have.

Like i said above, i have played dozens of amazing games this gen from companies i didn't even know they exist.

Maybe because those are the major industry publishers?

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

So the first ten years of the century is better than the last seven years?

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Thanks Obama

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Brah4ever

@Yams1980 said:

Gaming software innovations are dead, thats for sure. Look at how loot boxes are have fully invaded paid AAA games. They used to be just in free to play which made sense.

Theres a chunk of lazy gamers that are willing to pay out and legally cheat in their games by opening up their wallets, ruining gaming for the rest of us and giving more reason for these publishers to keep pushing this in their games. People keep buying their shit, it won't end.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#30 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

If gamers bought innovative games in the droves, but they buy sequels.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

Just shows some gamers are getting old. But, that's the way it's always been.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Brah4ever

@needhealing said:

That's because gamers don't know what they want and like familiarity.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#33 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

@brah4ever said:
@needhealing said:

That's because gamers don't know what they want and like familiarity.

Exactly but then cry "Teh innovation is gone whaaaaa!"

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Brah4ever

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Just shows some gamers are getting old. But, that's the way it's always been.

As in?

I'm old enough to remember the days where I paid for $50-$60 for a game and it worked day one and didn't sell me the rest of the game through DLC.

It's more that the more experience gamers who have been involved in the scene for a long time have noticed how things have changed over time, in less favor of the consumer.

Season Passes, Micro-transactions, and loot boxes didn't really exist a decade ago and if they did they were in Free 2 play Korean MMORPGs. Now they have infiltrated everywhere, including the console scene on games where they don't belong, NFS Paybacks Speed Cards for example.

Loading Video...

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Innovation... When ever that word gets used on these forums this comes to mind after reading several pages or comments.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf:

Then tell us what it really means.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Brah4ever

@PSP107 said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf:

Then tell us what it really means.

Eagerly awaiting his answer as well.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@PSP107: There are two types... Evolutionary innovations and then revolutionary innovation, most gamer's here use the latter but the examples they give are all evolutionary.

Gaming going from 2D to 3D is a example revolutionary innovation, almost everything else since then is evolutionary when it comes to graphics and hardware power even control methods can be regarded as evolutionary.

Since the jump to 3D nothing for gaming has changed that would be regarded as a revolutionary jump. Its just been a slow incremental jump with each generation with small evolutionary pushes in the way we interact with the games such as VR or 3D.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Brah4ever

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@PSP107: There are two types... Evolutionary innovations and then revolutionary innovation, most gamer's here use the latter but the examples they give are all evolutionary.

Gaming going from 2D to 3D is a example revolutionary innovation, almost everything else since then is evolutionary when it comes to graphics and hardware power even control methods can be regarded as evolutionary.

Since the jump to 3D nothing for gaming has changed that would be regarded as a revolutionary jump. Its just been a slow incremental jump with each generation with small evolutionary pushes in the way we interact with the games such as VR or 3D.

Yeah, and this gen is a complete example of what you just mentioned. Probably the smallest jump from gen to gen overall.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@brah4ever said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Yeah, and this gen is a complete example of what you just mentioned. Probably the smallest jump from gen to gen overall.

I fully agree... But the PS1 to PS2 to PS3 era where the exact same. Just higher resolutions 3D gaming consoles online gaming is just a evolution of gaming.

Revolutionary means it s adopted universally to some degree, evolutionary innovation can be dependant on just the genre of gaming 3D was the last revolutionary jump in my honest opinion everything since then has just been small evolutionary jumps.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Gaming with other people through internet was a massive gamer chancer, after that indeed most of if not everything is more of the same over and over again.

That's also why i tend to p;lay mostly older type of games, as nothing new really interests me.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

I fully agree... But the PS1 to PS2 to PS3 era where the exact same. Just higher resolutions 3D gaming consoles online gaming is just a evolution of gaming.

Revolutionary means it s adopted universally to some degree, evolutionary innovation can be dependant on just the genre of gaming 3D was the last revolutionary jump in my honest opinion everything since then has just been small evolutionary jumps.

Don't forget the jump from 16-bit to 32-bit. That marked the move from sidescrollers and games with top-down views to those of 3D views we see nowadays.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11281 Posts

@indzman:

You mean 2001, 2004 and 2008 :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#44 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Is it you grandpa?

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11281 Posts

This applies to virtually every industry. Look at the best phones of 2017 vs 2012 (5 year gap) then compare that to the 5 year gap between a 2004 and 2009 phone.

the 90s-00s saw more innovation than any other decade.

Also fun fact, there has been more inventions from 1990 to 2017 (27 years) than the rest of recorded human history (combined!)

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jun_aka_pekto

I think the built-in recorder on most newer consoles is a nice feature.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jun_aka_pekto

One innovation from the 90's I would like to see now is the 3DO Blaster. I would like to see say, a PS4 on a board. This was just one indication of how wild 90's gaming was.

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

VR is a revolutionary jump, not an evolution. As VR matures, it will actually be a far bigger jump than 2D graphics to 3D graphics.

Think about what 2D -> 3D did. It gave us countless new genres, the ability to finally explore a 3D environment with physics and interactions that are similar to the real world. It brought in the idea of 1st person, 3rd person, top-down, etc.

VR also gives us countless new genres to play with, many of which have not yet been realized because of how young the tech is. 3D environments can now be explored with perception of depth and scale that mimics the real world. It can trick your brain, something a 2D display is mostly incapable of. Physics and interactions are taken a step beyond, by giving you the freedom to do what you want with your hands. But then there's also the social side. For the first time ever, you can be in a virtual space with someone and feel like they are there with you, and have a human interaction close to what you'd expect in real life, something that will only get exponentially more real over the years. You're not just holding a controller anymore; you are the controller, at least in part.

Storytelling, characters, and emotion are amplified so much more. Especially when characters look you in the eye, or interact with your own body movement.

That doesn't even account for what the eventual future of VR holds, with haptic suits, gloves, eye-tracking, body-tracking, facial tracking, and in a much more distant future, full immersion virtual reality.

When we can touch a virtual world using haptic gloves and feel resistance, feel weight, feel texture, shape, and heat of objects, we know at that point that it's a bigger leap than 2D -> 3D. Technically that can mostly all be done today, I mean just take a look at the HaptX gloves. But it will take longer for the average consumer to experience that.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@blueberry_bandit said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

VR is a revolutionary jump, not an evolution. As VR matures, it will actually be a far bigger jump than 2D graphics to 3D graphics.

Think about what 2D -> 3D did. It gave us countless new genres, the ability to finally explore a 3D environment with physics and interactions that are similar to the real world. It brought in the idea of 1st person, 3rd person, top-down, etc.

VR also gives us countless new genres to play with, many of which have not yet been realized because of how young the tech is. 3D environments can now be explored with perception of depth and scale that mimics the real world. It can trick your brain, something a 2D display is mostly incapable of. Physics and interactions are taken a step beyond, by giving you the freedom to do what you want with your hands. But then there's also the social side. For the first time ever, you can be in a virtual space with someone and feel like they are there with you, and have a human interaction close to what you'd expect in real life, something that will only get exponentially more real over the years.

That doesn't even account for what the eventual future of VR holds, with haptic suits, gloves, eye-tracking, body-tracking, facial tracking, and in a much more distant future, full immersion virtual reality.

Like you said 3D was universally adopted by the industry and gave us new genres of games.

VR on the other hand hasn't added anything new to the games, its so far more evolutionary than revolutionary. The technology is just a combination of head/movement tracking and motion controls into one technology and the actual headsets are just tiny screens... Which is just a evolution of technologies that already existed and combined into one and the actual software?... its still 3D gaming.

Everything you have stated is the promise of what VR COULD do, but it hasn't yet. Also what genres did VR create?... So far VR is a tech demo of individual technologies which already existed and its a EVOLUTION of those technologies. We already have 3D worlds to explore, games already have object interactions with motion controls which implement physics... Combining the technologies doesn't make it a revolutionary jump. Its a evolution of technologies we already have, it was the next logical step. A revolution would be a Inception/total recall like experience with total immersion.

Flight simulators and car simulators with full real life controls that mimic the vehicles interaction with the environment giving you feedback is a far more revolutionary jump than VR in terms of technology because it adds something new... Feedback to the environment. In VR when you pick something up you are still using a control there is nothing new there, no feedback to your interaction with the game other than the visual interactions.

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

VR also gives us countless new genres to play with, many of which have not yet been realized because of how young the tech is. 3D environments can now be explored with perception of depth and scale that mimics the real world. It can trick your brain, something a 2D display is mostly incapable of. Physics and interactions are taken a step beyond, by giving you the freedom to do what you want with your hands. But then there's also the social side. For the first time ever, you can be in a virtual space with someone and feel like they are there with you, and have a human interaction close to what you'd expect in real life, something that will only get exponentially more real over the years.

Like you said 3D was universally adopted by the industry and gave us new genres of games.

VR on the other hand hasn't added anything new to the games, its so far more evolutionary than revolutionary. The technology is just a combination of head/movement tracking and motion controls into one technology and the actual headsets are just tiny screens... Which is just a evolution of technologies that already existed and combined into one and the actual software?... its still 3D gaming.

Everything you have stated is the promise of what VR COULD do, but it hasn't yet. Also what genres did VR create?... So far VR is a tech demo of individual technologies which already existed and its a EVOLUTION of those technologies. We already have 3D worlds to explore, games already have object interactions with motion controls which implement physics... Combining the technologies doesn't make it a revolutionary jump. Its a evolution of technologies we already have, it was the next logical step. A revolution would be a Inception/total recall like experience with total immersion.

Flight simulators and car simulators with full real life controls that mimic the vehicles interaction with the environment giving you feedback is a far more revolutionary jump than VR in terms of technology because it adds something new... Feedback to the environment. In VR when you pick something up you are still using a control there is nothing new there, no feedback to your interaction with the game other than the visual interactions.

2D Graphics and 3D graphics are still represented by pixels on a screen. The graphics pipeline is different, but not completely unrecognizable. VR may use the same display technology (for now, but lightfields will probably be adapted in the 2020s as Magic Leap One, which is an AR headset, has a lightfield display that looks promising). Basically, you can look at 2D -> 3D and 3D - > VR and always notice some form of continuation.

Echo Arena, The Climb, and Rec Room are examples of games that show VR can be a fundamentally different experience than traditional gaming. You can never have the same intense, zero-gravity experience of Echo Arena in a traditional game. You can never scale mountains with true freedom using our own hands, potentially bringing out that inner fear of heights that you may or may not have. You can't have a social experience as real and as connected as Rec Room, or BigScreen as another example through traditional gaming.

I can't really name what genres VR has created, because they're not really defined well enough yet. It takes time for a genre to form; just look at FPS games, the genre existed in a nameless form for quite a while even before Doom Clone was the main name for it. But that's just my point, people called them Doom clones, until there were enough of them that stood out on their own that it formed a genre. So we have new genres that are simply undefined, they are not fleshed out enough, but the actual experience of a new genre is there. Ergo: A new genre is a new experience. When you're playing Echo Arena, that is a brand new gaming experience never done before. What do we call it? I don't know, Zero-Gravity E-Sports? Probably not, but that will be tailored further down the line as more games try to imitate the success of Echo Arena or get inspired by it.

A lot of what you're saying can be applied to 2D -> 3D. Physics existed in 2D. World interactions existed in 2D. So did characters, story, and emotion. You're basically cherry picking here. 3D expanded upon those so greatly that it brought about enormous changes, enough to be considered revolutionary and fundamentally different.

VR does the same already, but my point is that it will do more, a lot more as time passes. And not even much time. Eye-tracking and body-tracking are expected to be standard technologies in 4 or 5 years, and facial tracking is even simpler, so I would expect that too. I forgot to mention that you technically already have world-scale VR using VR backpacks, though standalone headsets like the Santa Cruz should give us world-scale VR upon release. If you can walk across an entire field outside and have that mapped 1:1 in-game, how is that not fundamentally different? Heck, forget about hacks like VR backpacks, just look at The Void experience. It's so beyond anything gaming has done before.

Your last sentence doesn't make it seem like you've tried VR, at least on PC. Oculus Touch / Vive Wands motion controllers give you detailed haptic feedback, to the point where you can feel the pull of string on a bow, and it's quite convincing. You make a point about actual flight simulator cockpits and such, but to counteract that, I'll reiterate that you should look at The Void. And technically, flight simulator cockpits would have to incorporate VR at some point alone the line as the tech progresses if it wants to give the most realistic possible experience.

To summarise: VR is already a transformative experience, if you're playing the right games on the right setup. Very near-future tech (< 5 years) will cause VR to expand greatly in it's capabilities to make this even more true.