1UP on Sony motion device: Discounted knockoff item from Dollar Store

• 194 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

"It was maybe a little underwhelming when Sony followed Microsoft's controller-free demo with a fairly standard kind of motion recognition, but the thing is... well, the device shown was... I'm still kind of dumbstruck by...

Oh hell! It was a damn blinking wand! The thing looked like it was looted out of a discounted, knockoff "Harry The Wizard" Halloween costume from a dollar store. Someone must have left the actual controller at home and called their mom to pick something up on her way back from pilates." - 1UP

Link to full article of top 5 E3 WTF's:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3174687

Didn't seem like they were very impressed by it. :( Natal didn't make the "WTF" article, so Sony's motion device must not have been as impressive. :( Oh well, I hope Sony gets it right next time. It has potential.

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts
Heh, the "Harry The Wizard"-analogy is somewhat spot on. Still looked a bit entertaining to me; not quite into this motion control business though.
urdead18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 urdead18
Member since 2008 • 3630 Posts

All motion controls suck.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BioShockOwnz

urdead18

It seems this one does the most, though. Really a shame.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
That was funny. The Milo one is funnier, though: [QUOTE="1Up"]Never mind the outright misleading presentation that implied actual speech recognition, or the fact that any enthusiasm shown from Peter Molyneux should be cut by at least a power of 10. I'm mostly just confused by the implication that anyone would want to re-play Seaman with the fish replaced by a small boy. Well, other than Michael Jackson, who would have made an excellent presenter. Huge missed opportunity, if you wanted to keep working the butt-of-every-joke musician angle. Hell, we could have tried to get him on stage with Yoko to perform all the Beatles songs he bought the rights to.

agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 agentfred
Member since 2003 • 5666 Posts

urdead18
Exactly.
cutmaclass1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 cutmaclass1
Member since 2004 • 1611 Posts
I don't think they were ragging on the motion control interface itself, just more or less what the controllers looked like. And - let's face it - those controllers DID look incredibly stupid, but Sony did emphasize that they were prototypes, so I don't think anyone is passing any sort of final judgment. And yes, the controllers (or rather, the 2 controllers + one camera set-up) did seem especially cumbersome when compared to the Natal, which works well without controllers. You can come up with a viable argument for either set-up, but you at least have to acknowledge that.
voxware00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 voxware00
Member since 2004 • 5018 Posts

i'd rather the wand than natal and i dont own a ps3 so it's not a bias

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

[QUOTE="urdead18"]

BioShockOwnz

why? normal controllers are fien enough, why does it matter if "new motion tech" does suck (heck wii one sucked way more ost of the time!) guess i´m just a common controller guy...

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BioShockOwnz

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

[QUOTE="urdead18"]

Giancar

why? normal controllers are fien enough, why does it matter if "new motion tech" does suck (heck wii one sucked way more ost of the time!) guess i´m just a common controller guy...

If it has to be done, I want to see it be done right.

2beers_in_hand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 2beers_in_hand
Member since 2007 • 2950 Posts

It is pretty damn Fugly. Good thing its only a PROTOTYPEthat will look different when it launches.

Uzburacuz9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Uzburacuz9
Member since 2007 • 712 Posts

when during the presentation did sony say that would be the final model?......:roll:

*At least it actually IS a controller and people wont think you look like an idiot "pretending" to drive a car with nothing in your hands..lol you'll just look like an idiot WITH a wand..haha...ha.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BioShockOwnz

when during the presentation did sony say that would be the final model?......:roll:

*At least it actually IS a controller and people wont think you look like an idiot "pretending" to drive a car with nothing in your hands..lol you'll just look like an idiot WITH a wand..haha...ha.

Uzburacuz9

Why use a wand when you can use a real steering wheel?!

BTBAM127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BTBAM127
Member since 2006 • 2522 Posts

arethey making fun of the funtionality or the look of the wand it self?

djsifer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 djsifer01
Member since 2005 • 7238 Posts

[QUOTE="urdead18"]

BioShockOwnz

Based on a tech model? give me a break. Sonys was the most responsive and accurate.
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts

reminds me of the image i made months ago when the concept copyright images surfaced, enjoy - as amateurish as it was.. took me about 3 mins.

keep in mind the prototype showed it as a connected unit that can split up in to two different 'wands'. so lame.

2beers_in_hand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 2beers_in_hand
Member since 2007 • 2950 Posts
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

[QUOTE="Uzburacuz9"]

Why pretend to do anything? Why not learn how to skate or how to do a cross over? Hell why not drive a real car and learn how to drift?
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#18 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

It was just a prototype so nobody should be surprised it looked terrible. It worked great though.

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

[QUOTE="urdead18"]

djsifer01

Based on a tech model? give me a break. Sonys was the most responsive and accurate.

because its a glowing obvious ball. if you knew anything about point sensitive NIR technology you'd know it's the most basic and primitive input, something you could easily do with NATAL as well (just have to ship stupid colored balls with game on a stick for people to hold). shame the PS3 tech can't do much aside from that, while NATAL can do that better, and more :)
Xire_XII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#20 Xire_XII
Member since 2007 • 3092 Posts

Probably a good thing the look of it is most likely going to change. Either or, I was fairly impressed with Sony's motion controller and Natal. Natal wins with having absolutely nothing to be used besides your body to create an experience but so far it seems a bit messy with some of the interactions I've heard or seen. Nothing that can't be tweaked. Sony's motion controller seems pretty spot on with it's sensitivity with objects in the virtual world. I'd even say it's a wee bit better than Motion Plus as of right now. Who knows? Either or, I don't think either are going to be a bad experience. Just hope they create good casual games alongside something more.

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

He's dissing the design of the controller not the functionality....reading comprehension FTW!

Also they said it was a prototype so it's obviously gonna look different once it's released.

Avatar image for Ryusuke_Akihiro
Ryusuke_Akihiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ryusuke_Akihiro
Member since 2007 • 425 Posts

"It was maybe a little underwhelming when Sony followed Microsoft's controller-free demo with a fairly standard kind of motion recognition, but the thing is... well, the device shown was... I'm still kind of dumbstruck by...

Oh hell! It was a damn blinking wand! The thing looked like it was looted out of a discounted, knockoff "Harry The Wizard" Halloween costume from a dollar store. Someone must have left the actual controller at home and called their mom to pick something up on her way back from pilates." - 1UP

Link to full article of top 5 E3 WTF's:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3174687

Didn't seem like they were very impressed by it. :( Natal didn't make the "WTF" article, so Sony's motion device must not have been as impressive. :( Oh well, I hope Sony gets it right next time. It has potential.

BioShockOwnz

They didn't even have the chance to screw up yet, it hasn't been released. Only the software will be able to determine whether it's a failure or not.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BioShockOwnz

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

[QUOTE="Uzburacuz9"]

2beers_in_hand

Why pretend to do anything? Why not learn how to skate or how to do a cross over? Hell why not drive a real car and learn how to drift?

I used to skate (grew out of it, though) and I still race and tune cars. I still like playing racing games.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Another sony bashing thread *Yawn*. Man who cares what it looks like, didnt they say RIGHT AT THEBEGINING OF THE DEMO that it was a protoype? E3 was joke as far as motion contrls went. Natal looks promising, but I tell ya it'll launch at 200 samolians and who the heck would buy it? We all found out milo was a fraud. I mean what next, the sky is blue?

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts
They're only talking about the look of it. Hardly enough to make a thread about. Now the #1 WTF was great: - Wii Vitality Sensor - "Given that the audience at E3 skews a bit young and vital to begin with, the show probably wasn't the best place to unveil a peripheral that lets you know that your heart is still beating. Though that's pretty much the Wii's demographic at this point. "You're Still Not Dead: The Game." I'm looking forward to some genius attaching the thing to the end of his penis and inventing My Erectile Dysfunction Coach. Which, come to think of it, would work with that bullet point I mentioned earlier."
Mr_Nordquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Mr_Nordquist
Member since 2009 • 1777 Posts

Uzburacuz9

Yes, because every time you play video games you have an audience of strangers that judge you......

rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
They seem to be kind of attracting attention with all the articles they have been posting recently. But whatever floats their boat...
CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#28 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
I'd rather play with that wand than what Microsoft had.
Dycras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dycras
Member since 2009 • 1226 Posts

Looks so far like the wii motion + is winning the motion wars

Avatar image for Ryusuke_Akihiro
Ryusuke_Akihiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ryusuke_Akihiro
Member since 2007 • 425 Posts

Looks so far like the wii motion + is winning the motion wars

Dycras

How can it look that way if M$ and Sony's motion controls aren't released or even have games announced for them yet?

kaangonultas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kaangonultas
Member since 2008 • 1647 Posts
So people are complaining because of the look?
Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
welcome to early stage models of an unfinished product ... im sure every demo product has been perfect.... oh wait.
Supa__Mario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Supa__Mario
Member since 2009 • 680 Posts
1up.com is a joke.....
Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2139 Posts

natal is gonna be microsofts betamax why wont you lemmings get it.............its gonna fail and its gonna fail hard......just like sony's glowstick lol

clubsammich91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 clubsammich91
Member since 2009 • 2229 Posts
I am inclined to agree with them. Just another gimmick IMO.
Nightflash28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 Nightflash28
Member since 2004 • 2351 Posts

Personally, I think Natal is overshooting the goal. Full body motion recognition is a great idea, no doubt about that. And I think that for certain games and a certain audience this is just fine. But here's my thoughts: do I as a gamer really want to stand up in front of my TV and (I think many others would share this issue) move around my TV table so there's enough space to wiggle all my limbs?

I don't mean to downtalk Natal. It's just in my own preference I'd still like to have some kind of controller in my hands. There will still be a lot of actions in a video game that will require you to push a button. Sony showed their tech and I think nobody can argue about the precision and responsiness of the system.

Bashing the looks of a prototype... was the writer desperate?

david_lck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 david_lck
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

Uzburacuz9

Exactly, a prototype is bound to look ugly till they iron out the kinks.

Zoso-8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zoso-8
Member since 2008 • 2047 Posts
Isn't it just an early design/prototype?
exiledsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 exiledsnake
Member since 2005 • 1906 Posts
well, gametrailers thinks differently. they love it. which means that everybody has their opinion. seeing as both Natal and the motionbulb were tech demos and nothing concrete about the limitations of each tech have surfaced, your own opinion is the best to go with.
macca404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 macca404
Member since 2007 • 96 Posts

Aren't they only bagging the design of the device not the actual functionality.

Wasn't it a prototype anyway.:|

VitunLehmat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 VitunLehmat
Member since 2009 • 419 Posts
And here's BioShockOwnz delivering the news on why the PS3 still isn't impressing him. What a surprise.NAPK1NS
Instead of attacking the TC why you don't attack the article,some people here don't like when someone post something negative about their consoles of choice.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

And here's BioShockOwnz delivering the news on why the PS3 still isn't impressing him. What a surprise.NAPK1NS

If it makes you feel any better, I'm still not impressed by the PS3 either.

macca404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 macca404

[QUOTE="NAPK1NS"]And here's BioShockOwnz delivering the news on why the PS3 still isn't impressing him. What a surprise.VitunLehmat
Instead of attacking the TC why you don't attack the article,some people here don't like when someone post something negative about their consoles of choice.

NAPK1NS is right though,

If a similar article was written about Natal, Bio would never be the first to post it on system wars and express his dissapointment about it like he has in this thread.

VitunLehmat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 VitunLehmat
Member since 2009 • 419 Posts

[QUOTE="VitunLehmat"][QUOTE="NAPK1NS"]And here's BioShockOwnz delivering the news on why the PS3 still isn't impressing him. What a surprise.macca404

NAPK1NS is right though,

If a similar article was written about Natal, Bio would never be the first to post it on system wars and express his dissapointment about it like he has in this thread.

You should read the rules we discuss the systems and games here,not the people or fanboys who plays them.
NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
[QUOTE="NAPK1NS"]And here's BioShockOwnz delivering the news on why the PS3 still isn't impressing him. What a surprise.VitunLehmat

No, no, no. You don't seem to understand. This guy will come on these boards and post up any anti-PS3 article he can find so more people will know just how he feels about the PS3. It's obnoxious and unnecessary. Never once have I ever seen a post by him the downs the 360 or Wii. In fact, I see hype threads for Ninja Blade and Stoked... it's just imbalanced.
macca404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 macca404

Sorry to get off topic like that its just that it really gets to me sometimes,

Anyway i do like the Sony motion controller though i find Natal to be more impressive even if Milo was fake.

IMO the general public and casuals will probabaly take more of a liking to Natal as well because of the fact that Microsoft is much better at marketing than Sony and also the fact that Natal appears to be more advanced and new tech than Sony's "wand".

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts

[QUOTE="VitunLehmat"][QUOTE="NAPK1NS"]And here's BioShockOwnz delivering the news on why the PS3 still isn't impressing him. What a surprise.macca404

NAPK1NS is right though,

The PS wand segment was probably the least funny or comprehensive of the 5 WTF moments in the article. The Wii Vitality Sensor and Milo were much better in criticism of their demonstrations and application.
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
They stated it was the engineers tech demo controller not a final product.