$180 Rig That Will Play Crysis at Maximum Settings, 60FPS **Possible 56k**

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#51 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

What resolution can i play Crysis on through Onlive if i don't have internet?

I'll stick to my computer for all my gaming needs instead of it getting farmed out and not being able to play games at max settings.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

It's from July 9th, Riku. I doubt three months has changed much significantly, besides pricing, so it means quite a bit.

As it stands I highly doubt it could run Crysis at anywhere near max settings with a steady 60 fps framerate.

shinrabanshou

I know it's form July 9th. Also, the servers are all equipped with the latest hardware. Each slate can host two games running simultaneously. Why wouldn't it be able to pull it off? They have access to the latest hardware directly from ATI, Nvidia and AMD.

sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#54 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts

Read that a long time ago... Doesn't mean anything when the infrastructure and hardware continuously improves.Rikusaki

Absolute BS.

Most of the problems that Digital Foundry describes have nothing to do with hardware, and have everything to do with what happens when you send tons of data through a pipe for hundreds of miles. It can't help but compromise image quality and framerate.

Just to pick some select quotes...

Whatever OnLive might say about how revolutionary its approach to video compression is, the bottom line is that its HD service streams at about 5mbps. As the intended aim is to give you 60FPS video, the mathematics are incontestable. That's about 10K per frame as an average, including audio. For those with capped bandwidth allowances, OnLive consumes around 2.5GB per hour.

Conversely, an uncompressed 720p60 stream of data from the HDMI port of your console is around 2.6MB per frame, not including audio. So how does OnLive manage to compress so much into so little?

First off, the precision of the framebuffer is reduced. The 24-bit RGB format is gone in exchange for the same YUV 4:2:0 pixel format used by Blu-ray. Colour resolution is effectively halved in the transition. Even if bandwidth was increased tenfold, that wouldn't change without a fundamental change to the video codec. As a result of all that, OnLive at its best still looks rather washed out compared to the native experience.

Next up, every single frame produced by your console or PC graphics card is a keyframe, a distinct entity in of itself. OnLive uses shared information from previous frames in order to save the duplication of data, the same as any conventional video codec. While the company claims to have moved beyond this so-called "group of pictures" (GOP) format (and perhaps it has), the end result looks much the same. In scenes where there is not much movement, more information from previous frames can be re-used, resulting in a higher-quality image. In scenes with fast motion, less information is shared, meaning a collapse in picture integrity. The faster the picture changes, the more detail that 10K per frame needs to magic up from nowhere.

Digital Foundry

The weird thing is that OnLive is talking about upgrading to 1080p in 2011. This will inevitably require more bandwidth, and if that's the case, it really should be thinking about offering the option to use that throughput for improving 720p image quality, and in effect brute force through higher IQ. In many cases it clearly needs it.Digital Foundry

Overall conclusions on the performance side of things are mixed. On the one hand, OnLive clearly offers higher average frame-rates than console on many of its titles. However, this is not the entirely good thing that it should be for two reasons: firstly, there is very little consistency in the overall performance. Video can be silky smooth one moment, horribly jerky the next. Performance will change enormously split-second. One frame could be rendered at 16ms, the next could be rendered at 66ms or with an even higher latency.

This ties in closely with the second major factor. With local gaming, higher frame-rates are typically accompanied with a much crisper, more precise degree of control, and it's exactly for this reason that games like Burnout Paradise and Call of Duty target 60FPS on console. There is no such precision with OnLive. A 150ms-200ms variable response is worse than most PS3 or Xbox 360 titles running at 30 frames per second, so there is something of a jarring disconnect between the higher-than-console frame-rate and the inconsistent response from the controls.

Digital Foundry

The ideal world you envision just isn't viable. Onlive is trying to push through more data than is available, and the image quality is at the mercy of compression algorithms and lag, factors which are never going to go away in any sort of real-world setting. This leads to performance that is not only subpar, but uneven, which is even more distracting.

The problems just increase from there. How is Digital Foundry going to stream 1080p video when they can barely manage the quality of 720p video at this point? How are they going to deal with tearing present when low-spec machines try to unpack all this video footage (a phenomenon noted in the article)? If the service ever starts to actually gather momentum, how are they going to manage the exponentially rising bandwidth and hardware costs without charging a monthly fee?

It's a marvel that the service functions at all, but it's not scalable and it's not practical. The Digital Foundry article demonstrates pretty clearly that you're not getting anything close to PC-equivalent performance (and you never will), and you have to sign away your consumer rights to do it. While things like the Arena are neat, it's subpar as a gaming platform.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Rikusaki

Am i going to need to do this every time there is an onlive thread?

ferret-gamer

Nice, but Comcast won't cut it. You need fiber optic to get the performance and clarity that I have. ;)

onlive isnt a platform.

Phaze-Two

It will be once this is released this holiday season:

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

Riku u need to stop. seriously. its getting anoying.Rikusaki

Is OnLive not a legitimate platform for discussion in System Wars? :?

You're becoming the ProjectNatalFan of OnLive though.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#57 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
I think Rikusaki is the only Onlive fanboy here on System Wars.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]

Rikusaki

Nice, but Comcast won't cut it. You need fiber optic to get the performance and clarity that I have. ;)

Explain.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Rikusaki

Absolute BS.

sonicmj1

No, it's not. The internet won't be suck in its current state forever.

A new fiber optic infrastructure is currently underway.

Nothing can stop the progress of technology. OnLive is the future of gaming. In it's current state, it will only perform well for a select few, but in the future, data at the speed of light will become standard.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#60 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
At least I'll get to keep my games.
Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

[QUOTE="sonicmj1"]

Absolute BS.

Rikusaki

Nothing can stop the progress of technology. OnLive is the future of gaming. In it's current state it will only perform well for a select few, but in the future, data at the speed of light will become standard.

Are you in league with PNF to hype things no one else cares about?? :?

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Rikusaki

Explain.

ferret-gamer

You are simply too far from the nearest data center. Comcast's infrastructure isn't ready for OnLive (yet). Only a fiber optic connection will give you an experience similar to my own.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

[QUOTE="Rikusaki"]

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"] Go to SpeedTest.net and post your results here. [QUOTE="Hakkai007"]

Look at the guys image above.

Also Onlive will probably never get image quality comparable to a game actually being played on your PC.

You can quote me if you want.

Maybe in 50 years you can laugh at me when you get 10gb per sec connections with a 500tb a month bandwidth.

I probably won't care by then Because 1080P will be long surpassed.

I might be dead too.

ferret-gamer

First of all, he just has a crappy connection. That looks downright horrible. Second, OnLive's hardware is constantly improving. In some ways, it has already surpassed the PS3 and 360 in terms of visuals (shading, lighting, etc.).

a

Feels bad man.

Also Fios is like 90 a month.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

[QUOTE="sonicmj1"]

Absolute BS.

Rikusaki

Nothing can stop the progress of technology. OnLive is the future of gaming. In it's current state, it will only perform well for a select few, but in the future, data at the speed of light will become standard.

We gonna see some powerful routers in the future then D:
Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

As a pc gamer it annoys me that all anyone ever talks about is CRYSIS! Almost every game I have on PC looks better then the console games. Using CRYSIS for 4 years is stale and I am getting sick of it. As i am sure so is everyone else.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

As a pc gamer it annoys me that all anyone ever talks about is CRYSIS! Almost every game I have on PC looks better then the console games. Using CRYSIS for 4 years is stale and I am getting sick of it. As i am sure so is everyone else.

Advid-Gamer
You missed the point of the thread yo.
Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Rikusaki
[QUOTE="siLVURcross"] We gonna see some powerful routers in the future then D:

Yeah. I had to overclock mine to reduce the latency. A good portion of lag is actually caused by the poor quality on our end. I installed custom firmware and OC'ed my router to 450Mhz.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

lol. I saw AC2 with my own eyes and the settings were worse than the 360 equivalent. So it was bad even before you factored in the lag and terrible compression. There's no way the same servers are running Crysis at max, especially when you consider the fact that the game isn't even available for OnLive.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]

Explain.

Rikusaki

You are simply too far from the nearest data center. Comcast's infrastructure isn't ready for OnLive (yet). Only a fiber optic connection will give you an experience similar to my own.

Again, explain how you came to this conclusion.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts
[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"]

siLVURcross
You missed the point of the thread yo.

No, I saw the point of the thread, and read the posts of fellow pc gamers that said it is complete BS, so I didnt even address that point because I couldnt careless about it. I will stick to building rigs and not relying on a internet service to run my games the way I want them to run.
Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Rikusaki

lol. I saw AC2 with my own eyes and the settings were worse than the 360 equivalent. So it was bad even before you factored in the lag and terrible compression. There's no way the same servers are running Crysis at max, especially when you consider the fact that the game isn't even available for OnLive.

Teufelhuhn

Each game has it's own set of servers.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Rikusaki

[QUOTE="Rikusaki"]

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]

Explain.

ferret-gamer

Let me break it down:

• You live in Washington.
  • OnLive's west coast Data Center is in San Francisco, CA.
  • Comcast doesn't have a fiber optic infrastructure.
  • You need a fiber optic connection all the way down there to get the performance you desire.
Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

Wrong title.

You forgot to mention the $500 you will have to pay monthly for a monster internet connection.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

You don't even need to buy that. The fact that people are already using a computer to post on here means they already have everything they need to use it. The only thing they may be missing is a fast internet connection. And Crysis isn't on onlive right now. I just checked, so you can't play it on onlive.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"][QUOTE="Rikusaki"] You are simply too far from the nearest data center. Comcast's infrastructure isn't ready for OnLive (yet). Only a fiber optic connection will give you an experience similar to my own.

Rikusaki

Let me break it down:

• You need a fiber optic connection all the way down there to get the performance you desire.

And why is fiber optic needed?
expanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 expanded
Member since 2003 • 8430 Posts

I wonder how much they are paying you to try so hard to convince people about onLive. If they really ARE NOT paying you then I can only be sad at the fact you're promoting it on your own free time.

Here's the bottom line in this day and age. NOT everyone has this MAGICAL internet speed you are talking about. "OnLive is the future of gaming" Well the future is a bit delayed and seems to be far off if the majority of gamers would rather play consoles or on their personal computer.

OnLive will NOT be the future of gaming. It brings forth an interesting idea and concept style of gaming. That's it. Perhaps someone will build upon the idea and make it better but it will NOT be OnLive. Where are my sources for such thing? Well myself :]. AND there's no way you'll convince me the otherwise when it comes to OnLive.

It. Will.Fail. Fail as it already is failing. :] If I sound arrogant ;) it should only remind you of a certain someone else :).

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Rikusaki

A picture is not an argument.

What speeds are you getting through SpeedTest.net, anyways? As far as I can tell, Verison's FIOS service, the most widely available fiber optic internet service in the United States, advertises 20 Mbps speeds for gaming for its most expensive personal service. That doesn't match the uninterrupted 156 Mbps you'd need for perfect 720p video, by Digitial Foundry's calculations. And I doubt you're achieving that maximum constantly.

You also haven't addressed the difficulties OnLive might face if it ever achieves success. How many servers can they afford to buy if millions start using the service? How much more expensive will hardware upgrades become as the number of servers required increases? How are they going to afford the bandwidth to provide 5 Mbps video to hundreds of thousands of people simultaneously without significant advertisements or monthly fees?

Something resembling OnLive might be tenable as a mass service 30 years from now, when compression techniques and fiber optic data transmission improve even more, but by then, we'll probably be streaming video directly into our skulls and living our video game experiences, and I'm not sure I want a choppy framerate inside my head. At this point, it just seems like a way to steal money from saps for a few years until it gets bought out and/or files for bankruptcy.

sonicmj1

My connection is almost identical to Ferret-Gamer's. The difference is I live in Eugene, Oregon.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Rikusaki

[QUOTE="Rikusaki"]

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"] Again, explain how you came to this conclusion.ferret-gamer

Let me break it down:

Highlighted it in red for ya. ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"][QUOTE="Rikusaki"]

Let me break it down:

Rikusaki

Highlighted it in red for ya. ;)

It is a simple question. Why?
GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

Is there a game that looks decent on onlive ? I tried UT3, and Dirt 2, and both looked way downgraded from the console versions. And my connection is not that bad either.

My connection from where I live (well Houston actually picked wrong server)

My connection to LA

PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts
Fiber optic connection? Yeah sure remind me about OnLive in a decade or 2 and maybe I'll have one by then.
Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Rikusaki

It is a simple question. Why?ferret-gamer
Comcast has a crap infrastructure for this kind of thing. Fiber optic allows data to travel at the speed of light. You may have a 30MB, 5ms ping with a server only 50 miles away, but the west coast OnLive data center is in San Francisco. Only the speed of light will give you the performance you desire.

sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#84 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts

My connection is almost identical to Ferret-Gamer's. The difference is I live in Eugene, Oregon.

Rikusaki

So... wait a minute.

What does this:

Nice, but Comcast won't cut it. You need fiber optic to get the performance and clarity that I have.

Rikusaki

and this:

Rikusaki

mean?

If you have the same download speeds, and you're not that far from each other, you really expect us to believe that fiber-optic cable is the magic elixir that turns poor image quality and stuttery gameplay into perfect 720p?

Forgive my skepticism.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Rikusaki

If you have the same download speeds, and you're not that far from each other, you really expect us to believe that fiber-optic cable is the magic elixir that turns poor image quality and stuttery gameplay into perfect 720p?

Forgive my skepticism.

sonicmj1

Yes and no. It depends on everything, not just your ISP. You're gonna need a fast, solid-performing router like mine. The only way right now is to buy a high-end router costing hundreds, or overclock a low-end one like I did.

SwagSurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 SwagSurf
Member since 2009 • 3022 Posts

I'm not liking the new Rikusaki :(

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Rikusaki

I'm not liking the new Rikusaki :(

SwagSurf
Get used to it. :x
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Meh. It seems to be useless to anyone that doesnt live in the states. Also, I much prefer getting my own hardware rather than trusting it to other people to get it right.
abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
onlive lol.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

Riku, bandwith is bandwith. Verizon Fios's 50mb is no different than Comcast's 50mb in terms of badwith size.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

Telcos use fiber because they don't have the same interference and impedence problems that copper does when carrying high-bandwidth (and by that I mean bandwidth in analog signal terms, not bytes-per-second) signals over long distances. It makes it cheaper and more efficient for them set up their infrastructure. The simple fact of having a fiber connection to your house doesn't magically make your bandwidth skyrocket and your latency disappear. It's perectly possible to have lower bandwidth and higher latency than what you can get over copper...which should be obvious if you look at the lower tiers offered for FiOS (Verizon's fiber-to-your-house service). If you have fiber that just means it's the most ideal way for the telco to deliver their service to your location.

Latency is primarily a factor of how many hops you have to make when going from your computer to the server. More distance = more hops = more latency.

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#92 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts
LOL @ these OnLive shenanigans. Also a big sweaty facepalm @ those 4 components being passed off as "a rig" of any kind. At least you included a case, that's more than some people. :lol:
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

yep it can...with lots of control latency AKA lag and look completely horrible at compressed less then 720p even on a 25mbps down and 5 mbps up cable net connection.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"] It is a simple question. Why?Rikusaki

Comcast has a crap infrastructure for this kind of thing. Fiber optic allows data to travel at the speed of light. You may have a 30MB, 5ms ping with a server only 50 miles away, but the west coast OnLive data center is in San Francisco. Only the speed of light will give you the performance you desire.

Umm... buddy there is this thing called index of refraction, light travels through fiber optic cables at2.05 * 10^8 m/s, light travels through a coaxial cable at1.97x10^8 m/s. In terms of speed of light Fiber optic cables are only about 4% faster, that means if it takes 10ms for fiber to reach something, it would take 10.4ms for coaxial to reach it.

Now in real world applications, from washington to Cali my actual ping from speedtest.net is only 33ms. Still registering as Onlives fault for not delivering.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Max settings, 60 FPS?

What resolution we talking about here? 480p? :lol: I'll stick with building my own computer, actually owning the game, and having no input lag what-so-ever and not having to rely on being online to play a game.

Oh, and playing at max settings at 2048x1152 resolution. 60FPS? Hell no. Still better than a streaming service though.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Rikusaki

I can also find a cure for cancer while I game. Folding@home can now run at full blast.

zero_snake99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 zero_snake99
Member since 2004 • 3478 Posts
Youtube HD quality confirmed.
Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#98 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts

yep it can...with lots of control latency AKA lag and look completely horrible at compressed less then 720p even on a 25mbps down and 5 mbps up cable net connection.

WilliamRLBaker
Less than 720p? Oh, so like 50% of console games?
dc337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 dc337
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

Hahadouken

Less than 720p? Oh, so like 50% of console games?

720p is the resolution, it says nothing about the compression rate.

zero_snake99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 zero_snake99
Member since 2004 • 3478 Posts

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"] It is a simple question. Why?Rikusaki

So I have to invest into an internet connection that's not available in my area (and wont be within the next few years) let alone at least get a cable connection for terrible IQ? Hell, Comcast is 50 bucks a month to get the DSL speeds I have now... Also, Uverse / FIOS in the areas I've seen cost like 70 bucks a month... way too much.