$150 Xbone elite controller still needs AA batteries

This topic is locked from further discussion.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

Really? I was interested in this, but I expected better for this price.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Old news.

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3  Edited By tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts

good, we don't want the batteries going off every 6 hours, do you?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

Use rechargeable batteries... I have about 10 laying around my house in different devices. They also last a while.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

I for one like AA batteries better, I have 8 rechargeable batteries, so I'm never out of juice. I do have 2 PS4 controller, so 1 is always ready, but I guess it's just a preference.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

Sony has had rechargeable controllers since 2005 though, I mean, come on get with the times. You still have to buy extra rechargeable batteries, which should lower the price M$ sells its controllers for.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

This is a non-issue for me.

Plus, not interested in that controller to begin with.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Rechargeable AA batteries., always a set ready at a moments notice, never a cord needed..... anything else is doing it wrong.. cough, PS4 lol.

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tushar172787

what others said.. /thread

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lundy86_4

@csward: They've had rechargeable batteries for a while, and yet the battery in the PS4 is literally worse than shit. It dies far too quickly. Changing a couple of AA batteries and having them last a week or two is literally a non-issue.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I get the whole "just use rechargeables" argument but really for $150 there's no reason it can't come with a battery pack built in. I mean this thing is supposed to be a premium item, hence the name ELITE. The cost alone screams "high end." So yes there is a way around using batteries but for the price it should not need them. Not for $150. This thing is about half the cost of an xbox one on sale at dell. HALF.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

This is good news for me, I don't want to buy 2 of those controllers, and batteries means I can stay wireless all the time I prefer it this way

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@sts106mat said:

thats good news. I always i have loads of AA batteries in the house.

changing batteries once every couple of weeks is far less hassle than having to plug in a USB lead and recharge every few hours.

Not really. Recharging batteries has more steps required than charging a controller via the console.

1. remove batteries

2. place them into the cradle.

3. charge.

4. put back into the controller.

vs

1. plug controller into USB connected to the console.

2. charge.

3. remove controller fully charged.

If you just leave the controller plugged in when you're watching netflix it will always be charged all without having to remove the batteries. I hate to nit pick but saying charging via USB is a HASSLE is a gross exaggeration. About as bad as the infomercials that show people in black and white who don't know how to cut a tomato or use a blender.

This is also a good time to mention that the Wii U pro controller has 80 hours of battery life on one charge. EIGHTY HOURS. What are these other controllers doing wrong?

WeepsForFools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WeepsForFools
Member since 2012 • 793 Posts

you do realize there are rechargeable AA batteries right.

And there are rechargeable batteries sold by 3rd parties.. what is the issue.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bread_or_Decide

@WeepsForFools said:

This thing costs $150 that's the issue.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@Heil68 said:

I for one like AA batteries better, I have 8 rechargeable batteries, so I'm never out of juice. I do have 2 PS4 controller, so 1 is always ready, but I guess it's just a preference.

This is the best way.

JUST FCKING LOL AT AA BATTERIES IN 2015!!!

LMFAO!

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@sts106mat said:

changing batteries once every couple of weeks is far less hassle than having to plug in a USB lead and recharge every few hours.

Not really. Recharging batteries has more steps required than charging a controller via the console.

1. remove batteries

3. charge.

vs

2. charge.

If you just leave the controller plugged in when you're watching netflix it will always be charged all without having to remove the batteries. I hate to nit pick but saying charging via USB is a HASSLE is a gross exaggeration. About as bad as the infomercials that show people in black and white who don't know how to cut a tomato or use a blender.

This is also a good time to mention that the Wii U pro controller has 80 hours of battery life on one charge. EIGHTY HOURS. What are these other controllers doing wrong?

Are you married? Trying to get my wife to plug in the remote after she uses netflix or something is a bit like herding cats only slightly more difficult, nevermind that the console then has to be left on charge.

When I had 2 controllers wasn't a big deal, but thanks to Sony's crappy design one static shock wiped out half the buttons on my spare and so now I just have one. When I was playing DAI on it I regularly had times where i had to sit a few feet from the telly, which is a real pain. Personally I'd prefer batteries I can replace, but its not a deal breaker. As for the Wii maybe not having anything worthwhile to play on it helps immensely? :P (sorry haven't posted enough in SW recently and something in my brain forced me to write that :D)

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lundy86_4

@Suppaman100: The best way is to buy a second controller, rather than some $20 rechargeable AA batteries? Okay.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:
@Heil68 said:

This is the best way.

JUST FCKING LOL AT AA BATTERIES IN 2015!!!

LMFAO!

But the batteries last longer. I have 4 PS4 controllers and while its nice to not have to change batteries, those damn things die sooooooo fast. I also have 2 charge and play kits that I put in the XB1 controllers I use the most. Really this is a non-issue though. The perfect controller for this issue is the Wii U Pro Controller. That thing lasts forever. But really this is a non-issue. Fanboys can continue to make mountains out of mole hills, it's not gonna change my mind in any way.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
@lundy86_4 said:

@Suppaman100: The best way is to buy a second controller, rather than some $20 rechargeable AA batteries? Okay.

With the 2nd controller,at least you can pretend you play with friends.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Mountains out of mole hills, SW, don't you ever change. lol

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Suppaman100

@lundy86_4 said:

Surely you have some friends or familty that sometimes play with you? A second controller is pretty much standard imo.

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tushar172787

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@sts106mat said:

1. remove batteries

3. charge.

vs

2. charge.

1. not every person has a power point right beside them

2. you can just put the two batteries inside if you're in a hurry, and then you can charge the old ones after the game is over

3. my controller lasts for a week

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Good. This means that if you use it constantly you won't kill the internal battery and have to replace the controller in 2 years when the battery stops holding a charge.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lundy86_4

@Suppaman100: None of my friends play video games... Well one does. My brother also has his own console, so it's simply unnecessary.

Still, your whole solution for buying extra batteries was to have multiple controllers.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bread_or_Decide

@blue_hazy_basic said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@sts106mat said:

1. remove batteries

3. charge.

vs

2. charge.

Are you married? Trying to get my wife to plug in the remote after she uses netflix or something is a bit like herding cats only slightly more difficult, nevermind that the console then has to be left on charge.

When I had 2 controllers wasn't a big deal, but thanks to Sony's crappy design one static shock wiped out half the buttons on my spare and so now I just have one. When I was playing DAI on it I regularly had times where i had to sit a few feet from the telly, which is a real pain. Personally I'd prefer batteries I can replace, but its not a deal breaker. As for the Wii maybe not having anything worthwhile to play on it helps immensely? :P (sorry haven't posted enough in SW recently and something in my brain forced me to write that :D)

I was waiting for someone to make that Wii U joke lol. Well played sir. On the other side of that coin the Wii U gamepad battery is the worse thing since Hitler.

Not married, but yes I've been stuck close to the TV due to having to charge while playing, it's not ideal.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

Ridiculous design.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

If you can afford to spend $150 on a stupid controller, then you can buy some AA batteries.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@WeepsForFools said:

So having a built in battery makes it high end? Hahahaha ummm yeah ok

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#33 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

Anyone that would buy this already has rechargeable batteries from their other controllers. If this is what will turn you off of this controller, it's probably not the controller for you

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

I get the whole "just use rechargeables" argument but really for $150 there's no reason it can't come with a battery pack built in. I mean this thing is supposed to be a premium item, hence the name ELITE. The cost alone screams "high end." So yes there is a way around using batteries but for the price it should not need them. Not for $150. This thing is about half the cost of an xbox one on sale at dell. HALF.

well said sir i agree with you 100%

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22679 Posts

After playing literally thousands of hours of video games on Xbox 360 and playstation controllers over the past 10 years, I would take rechargeable AA's over an internal battery every time, no question....

I had to shell out an extra 120 bucks for two extra controllers on ps4 to get the same ease of use I had with one 360 controller and a 10 dollar rechargeable battery pack with 2 sets of chargeable batteries...

Ps4 controller battery life is a sick joke.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I just don't get how having the option to swap out batteries whether it's AA batteries, proprietary charge kit, and even third party charge kit are considered bad to some folks here. If ever for some reason you can't find your charging wire, I love the option to instantly change out the battery with the Xbox controllers, heck even Nintendo controllers, you can never do that with Playstation controllers and would be out of luck. One of my PS3 controller is completely dead, can't hold a charge, basically useless now because you aren't able to swap out batteries which is the weakness for these Playstation controllers.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

My son makes use of the consoles during the weekend, now that I had to purchase another PoS4 controller ( because the original one hit the dirt after less than 300 hours of use ) he has 2 controllers and that PoS4 has a controller plugged to it charging all the time during Sat and Sun. I use the consoles during the week ( mostly X360 and Wii ) more time than he plays in the PoS4 and I haven´t changed batteries in at least 2 weeks.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Bread_or_Decide

@kingtito said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@WeepsForFools said:

No, costing $150 is what makes it high end. Three times the cost of a normal controller. Again, the Wii U pro controller costs $50 and comes with a battery pack that lasts 80 hours long when charged. Again...$50 bucks. If I'm paying top price I want a battery pack dammit.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Suppaman100

@lundy86_4 said:

@Suppaman100: None of my friends play video games... Well one does. My brother also has his own console, so it's simply unnecessary.

Still, your whole solution for buying extra batteries was to have multiple controllers.

Just one more controller that most people have by default because they have family/friends who play occasionally.

Not really an expensive or crazy solution is it?

And just lol, how can you be an apologist in this case? The controller is 150 bucks.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@Heil68 said:

It's not a preference, cows just say that because, but in reality we all know they would prefer removable rechargeable batteries. The number 1 complaint on the internet about the DS4 is the battery life. It gets about 6 hours, sony wants you to buy a 2nd controller (hence why sony fans are called cows, because sony milks it's fans) I've had the same rechargeable eneloops for 5 years now and still get about 15 hours on 1 charge and always have a fresh set ready. Now to be fair, if the built in DS4 battery lasted 15 hours, it wouldn't be that bad because nobody in their right mind should be playing a game 15 hours straight lol

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@kingtito said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@WeepsForFools said:

No, costing $150 is what makes it high end. Three times the cost of a normal controller. Again, the Wii U pro controller costs $50 and comes with a battery pack that lasts 80 hours long when charged. Again...$50 bucks. If I'm paying top price I want a battery pack dammit.

My point is that an internal battery doesn't make the controller high end. I'd rather have the options to use rechargeable or regular than to have no option at all. My PS4 controller dies so fast and I hardly even use it.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@darkangel115 said:
@Heil68 said:

It's not a preference, cows just say that because, but in reality we all know they would prefer removable rechargeable batteries. The number 1 complaint on the internet about the DS4 is the battery life. It gets about 6 hours, sony wants you to buy a 2nd controller (hence why sony fans are called cows, because sony milks it's fans) I've had the same rechargeable eneloops for 5 years now and still get about 15 hours on 1 charge and always have a fresh set ready. Now to be fair, if the built in DS4 battery lasted 15 hours, it wouldn't be that bad because nobody in their right mind should be playing a game 15 hours straight lol

I could easily survive on 1 controller though. I dont game for more than 3 hours straight these days much to your point. Maybe the occasional new release and I'll take day off, but I mainly get 2 controllers for all my systems so I can play with my friends and family.

eneloops are great, I got the Black Panasonic ones recently and they're great.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8061 Posts

@csward said:

Really? I was interested in this, but I expected better for this price.

The official excuse is probably that the Elite Controller is designed primarily for "pro gamers" and pro gamers typically prefer to play games with a wired connection in order to eliminate/limit potential issues with latency and/or other problems inherent to wireless input..

That being considered, packing in a play-and-charge kit with every Elite controller when the target audience will just play wired anyway doesn't make much sense from a business standpoint..

I agree, it's lame.. but logical..

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Never really cared about that, honestly. I bought a play and charge kit to be more eco-friendly, but whatever.

Guy_Brohski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Guy_Brohski
Member since 2013 • 2221 Posts

Still better than having to charge your DS4 every 5 hours, lol.

kazeswen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kazeswen
Member since 2011 • 1627 Posts

MS is the last company to still force you to buy rechargeable packs, Sony controllers come with battery packs built in since PS3.

Its extra money they make from every single controller sold. Its pretty disgusting if you ask me. Especially on 150 bones Elites.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

This is a must have for every xbox owner. The good thing is the cable is much longer than the Ps4 charge cable so dont need extender cable for charge and play.

Fck AA batteries, this charge pack is the way to go.

kazeswen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kazeswen
Member since 2011 • 1627 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

But then MS can't sell you those charging packages, you know a USB charger plus a Battery pack.

Its ridiculous that you are supposed to by a separate battery pack just to charge your controller.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@Heil68 said:
@darkangel115 said:
@Heil68 said:

I could easily survive on 1 controller though. I dont game for more than 3 hours straight these days much to your point. Maybe the occasional new release and I'll take day off, but I mainly get 2 controllers for all my systems so I can play with my friends and family.

eneloops are great, I got the Black Panasonic ones recently and they're great.

yeah eneloops are the best rechargeable batteries out there, and cheaper then the plug and play kits. I usually don't play for more then 3-4 hours at a time either so not a major deal, but with halo 5 coming out I plan on doing 9 hours straight monday night/tuesday morning. I wouldn't be able to do that with the DS4 without having to plug it in

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Bread_or_Decide

@kazeswen said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

But then MS can't sell you those charging packages, you know a USB charger plus a Battery pack.

Its ridiculous that you are supposed to by a separate battery pack just to charge your controller.

Even Nintendo moved on to battery packs. Microsoft is the last one standing with this battery nonsense. And ya know what? I was okay with it in the regular controller but in the ELITE? Their premium high cost controller for the most hardcore of gamers doesn't come with it? And this controller is amazing. Sony needs to make one for the PS4. But not with batteries.