10 days after the Nintendo Switch launch, have you run into any hardware issues?

• 70 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll 10 days after the Nintendo Switch launch, have you run into any hardware issues? (81 votes)

Yes, screen scratching 4%
Yes, Joycon desynching 7%
Yes, dead pixels 5%
Yes, two or more of the above 17%
No 64%

It's been ten days since the Nintendo Switch launched, and it is now clear that the Switch, going by reports, has more hardware issues than any previous Nintendo system at launch. The question is, in the ten days that you have owned the system, have any of these issues manifested themselves? If so, which ones?

I've had mine since the midnight launch, but so far, I have run into none of these issues- for reference I have the Neon Switch. I was just wondering how prevalent the occurrence and incidence of these issues is.

• 
iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#1  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Not yet. Ive also had my system running since March 3rd 24/7. I have yet to power it down. I did just buy two $30 ZAGG Screen Protectors though.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

No nothing, it's been a rock solid launch for me. I'm docking and un-docking and have had zero issues. I love the system.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

None for me. If anything, I'm impressed with how well it all runs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I haven't been using any screen protectors, or really, any accessories, just an FYI

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

Not yet! Fingers crossed. :P

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

I'm gonna wait a while for a few more games to release and launch bugs fixed (Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Metroid?!).

I've been playing BotW on the Wii U and it's been running perfectly fine on the system.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Does not having one count as an issue? :P

cheesie253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cheesie253
Member since 2003 • 1014 Posts

Nope, none of the scratching or hardware issues here. I did have a couple smudges on the bottom corner of the screen from docking but they wiped off. I've since put on a screen protector.

I only used the Joycons as a controller for a day or two when I picked up the pro controller. No issues with them losing a connection though when I did.

My favorite thing so far is how fast and easy it is to go from sleep to playing where I left off. The OS has been great so far albeit bare bones.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#9 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Mine doesn't exist :-(

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By iandizion713

@jaydan said:

I'm gonna wait a while for a few more games to release and launch bugs fixed (Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Metroid?!).

I've been playing BotW on the Wii U and it's been running perfectly fine on the system.

Heck yeah, plus you can get the expansions to extend your experience on Wii U.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

No issues on my end, my joycons worked great even from far away, no dead pixels..& my Switchy is staying docked (so no screen scratches). Bought it on launch day.. :P

One of my friend (bought it 3 days after launch day) did have joycons desync issues..in short distances.. (already told him to take it back to place of purchase & get it replace) in Australia..so should not be facing out of stock issues. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

No problems here. I did try to put a screen protector on, but there was a bubble I couldn't get rid of. So I've been going raw instead.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

My screen has some minor marks at the bottom where it has slid into the dock, and I've had a couple of instances where the left joycon will desync.

Nothing major though

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

I don't have one but when I went to gamestop to buy Nier there was a guy there who was having issues with his left joy con staying clicked in to the system. He could just easily pull it off without pressing the button. I asked the GameStop employee if they were seeing a lot of problems and she said this case was the first she had heard about any problems.

eNT1TY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 eNT1TY
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts

Can't use joycons in grip mode well enough after spending my firsts few days with pro controller, so yeah not a hardware issue but an issue nonetheless. I guess the switch can also get a little warm to the touch after a long session where if it got any warmer i might start to worry. Hoping the cooling solution and ventilation layout is good for the long haul.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

I got the Switch and returned it a few days later. Issue? Mass Effect and Persona F****** 5.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#17 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Zero issues so far.

Been enjoying the hell out of the system.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

No issues... with lots of use both in dock and portable.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

My left joycon started to have syncing issues for all of about 5 minutes, not sure why.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

To avoid the screen scratching thing, I lined my dock with felt pads to better cushion the device when docked. I doubt anything would have come of it, but better safe than sorry I figured.

I've experienced the loss of signal from the left joy con once or twice, only for about a couple seconds each time and without much hassle to shake it off. I feel sorry for people who claim to have it worse, but I can't say it was an issue for me.

Other than that, the system has been a delight. Zelda has been my main focus, but I did get a couple other games, including VOEZ which uses the touch screen exclusively for play. No issues there either, so it's been a rock-solid launch in my book.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 PopGotcha
Member since 2016 • 716 Posts

None. Pretty flawless release for me anyway

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

nothing...

in my 15 or so hours with zelda twice i got a message that popped up saying to press the shoulder button to resync the controller.

didnt have to put the joycon on the switch or nothing....just had to press the shoulder button. insignificant.

kingjazziephiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 kingjazziephiz
Member since 2006 • 2650 Posts

All good so far

Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#24 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts

I put one of the wrist straps on backwards (even after telling myself numerous times to watch myself to not do it) and had a heck of a time getting it off. Otherwise no other hardware issues as it's running great.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

My left joycon started to have syncing issues for all of about 5 minutes, not sure why.

Show me a picture of it.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ConanTheStoner

@n64dd said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

Show me a picture of it.

Well, the issue came and went two days ago, so it's sorted now. Is there something I should be looking for? (don't have a camera handy at the moment)

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 N64DD

@ConanTheStoner said:
@n64dd said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

Show me a picture of it.

Well, the issue came and went two days ago, so it's sorted now. Is there something I should be looking for? (don't have a camera handy at the moment)

don't have a smart phone?

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

The only issue I'm having is that I'm not sure what the reason is, but I want one. Like it's weird. The only games I want that are even announced are Mario Kart 8 deluxe and Mario Odyssey. But I want one so bad lol. I'm keeping myself from buying one for now though.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ConanTheStoner
@n64dd said:

In the car, which my girl drove to her 3rd shift job lol. Sorry dude.

But really, is there something in particular I should be looking for on the joycon, some kind of common defect?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By iandizion713

@primorandomguy said:

The only issue I'm having is that I'm not sure what the reason is, but I want one. Like it's weird. The only games I want that are even announced are Mario Kart 8 deluxe and Mario Odyssey. But I want one so bad lol. I'm keeping myself from buying one for now though.

Zelda not appealing?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ConanTheStoner

@primorandomguy said:

As with any console, the longer you wait, the better off you'll be. Cheaper, less risk of a defect, and a bigger library. You're going about it the right way.

I'm loving Zelda so damn much right now that it's just worth it for me, but I'd never advise someone to pick up a console for a single great game lol.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 N64DD

@ConanTheStoner said:
@n64dd said:

In the car, which my girl drove to her 3rd shift job lol. Sorry dude.

But really, is there something in particular I should be looking for on the joycon, some kind of common defect?

No, just curious

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: Yeah that's my issue now too is the price. But Zelda seems so awesome. I also want to play it. I haven't been a fan of past Zeldas so I didn't include it, but it seems like for this one you don't need to like the others one. I'll almost definitely get a switch soonish, probably next year. My new goal is to just buy every console from here on out. I won't miss out on anything.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#34 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

Nope, no issues so far, but I've been playing it docked the majority of the time with the pro controller.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I've had no problems with my switch yet. I hope it stays that way.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

No problems here. I did try to put a screen protector on, but there was a bubble I couldn't get rid of. So I've been going raw instead.

Same here actually.

Own a Neon Switch, and I have had no issues so far. Even with no screen protector my screen is fine. Have only played with the detached Joycons twice (got a pro controller after that), I don't recall any noticeable desync? I also don't have my set-up far away from where I sit though so that might be why.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Zero Issues. (Aside from having a fantastic time with Zelda, World Heroes Perfect, Shovel Knight, and I am Setzua all on the GO!)

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34608 Posts

No such problems yet. My friend who owns a Switch haven't had any problems either.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@n64dd said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

Show me a picture of it.

How are you supposed to show de-syncing with a photo?

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

My right Joy-Con lost connection while attached. Couldn't press any buttons :(

Only lasted 10 mins though.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

None of the listed. the only thing i had were a few short disconnections (with reconnections) of the right Joy-Con when playing 1, 2, Switch on a Tv, probably because there was a monitor between the Switch and my Joy-Con

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

The only issue I have is trying to remove the wrist straps from the JoyCons, why can't it be easy?!

but seriously, loving it so far

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Heck yeah, mine hasn't worked at all since the day I left the Bait and didn't bought it. lol :P

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Xplode_games
Member since 2011 • 2540 Posts

There is without a doubt problems with the joycons. It's true that it's mostly the left one that has problems. When it starts acting up, I just go to the home screen, then put the console in sleep mode. Then I wake it up again and go back into the game. It sometimes solves it completely and sometimes I have to do it multiple times. It's not a HUGE issue but it certainly exists and I think it's a problem with all Switch joycon controllers. I sit about 12 feet away from my tv.

Something important to note, these problems don't exist with the joycons attached in portable mode. I'm sure many people who are saying there are no problems at all, are playing mostly in portable mode. Or they are very close to their televisions.

The Swtich is a great console and I absolutely love it. I am sure Nintendo is going to fix these issues with updated joycons. I haven't bothered to call Nintendo regarding possibly replacing mine because I believe this to be a widespread issue that affects all existing joycons. When Nintendo updates the joycons, I will get one of those.

I'm very impressed with the system and that is mostly thanks to Zelda which is so far one of the best games I've ever played. It is so good, it made me feel silly for caring so much about console power. The brilliance of this game is just staggering. You can really notice how much work went into creating it and how well thought out everything is.

If anyone reads this and is wondering whether to buy a Switch or wait for the hardware issues to be resolved, BUY IT RIGHT NOW, DO NOT WAIT! You are missing out on a game that will revolutionize the way we gamers and the entire industry views games. Eventually a lot of these ideas will carry over into other games but man, run out right now and get this so you can experience the absolute pinnacle of gaming bliss!

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By iandizion713

@Xplode_games: Maybe that's why I don't have Joy-Con issues, I play with the grip. It's hard to play Zelda in free form. Since both have gyros, they get confused while aiming.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Xplode_games
Member since 2011 • 2540 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@Xplode_games: Maybe that's why I don't have Joy-Con issues, I play with the grip. It's hard to play Zelda in free form. Since both have gyros, they get confused while aiming.

I play with the grip too. I meant if you play with the joycons attached to the console in portable mode(as in you undock it and use the small screen), then there are no connectivity issues. It is super responsive and works amazingly well.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

None, because I don't have it.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Mine is great. These so called problems are overblown and exaggerated. If the dock really scratched screens they would have found that out when the machine they used to test it would've shown those results. They have docked and undocked the switch probably thousands of times on some machine. My guess is, it never scratched the screen. But some idiot online doesn't know how to take care of their stuff posts a pic and it's suddenly some big problem everyone is having.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

No probs here either, put a screen protector on it day one, haven't really used the dock though. I did try to play FAST RMX online, but couldn't, should check my router settings, but can't be bothered to do that now.