1 Hour of Ryse single player campaign...SPOILERS

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

Ryse looks so fricken awesome.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#52 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9920 Posts

I think combat look ok tbh. It's def good enough to hold up a cinematic action game. The javelin trhowing sections are very poorly designed. Javelins lying around in droves, really stiff gameplay, lots of annoying clutter on screen. The way collectibles are handled is also subpar. Game seems very one dimensional and repetetive. Still I might pick it up for $10 on a steam sale and give it a playthrough because of the setting + eye candy.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

I think combat look ok tbh. It's def good enough to hold up a cinematic action game. The javelin trhowing sections are very poorly designed. Javelins lying around in droves, really stiff gameplay, lots of annoying clutter on screen. The way collectibles are handled is also subpar. Game seems very one dimensional and repetetive. Still I might pick it up for $10 on a steam sale and give it a playthrough because of the setting + eye candy.

Why would Ryse be on Steam?

pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 pc-ps360
Member since 2010 • 3462 Posts

this game plays like crap. sry to say this it is the same as killzone a graphical showcase but poor game. i predict a 5 or at best a 6 for this. even killzones gameplay looks better

Quaker-w00ts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Quaker-w00ts
Member since 2009 • 1646 Posts

afraid to watch knowing I'd be witnessing one-third of the whole game.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

IDK.... I obviously might be biased, but it sort of reminds me of current gen console ports.

I'm not sure how they're going to make the campaign interesting, but I'm not particularly interested in the setting to begin with...

And, I'm not sure I appreciate the amount of cutscenes.... It's not MGS.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9920 Posts

@StormyJoe said:

@Sushiglutton said:

Why would Ryse be on Steam?

Thrid party dev like Crytek will release on PC in a year or two just like Mass Effect, Alan Wake etc.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

tlou had a good ammount of length, I think the average was around 12 hours.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#60  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Admittedly, I've skipped alot of ryse news. I love the premise (ancient ROME is an amazing setting imo). I just watched ten minutes of it... Looks like a perfectly acceptable start to a franchise and a cool game to show off the new hardware... Im sure this one will be fun and the next one will be great. It's MS's launch Killzone...

More like MS's launch Knack... repetitive and dull

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

honest question guys, I wanna watch this, im very interested, should I ruin it, or wait for nov 22nd? I have a feeling that this game is gonna be awesome, but have 4 out of 10 scores. the graphics are dumb enough to just have me guak at it in sheer amazement I wont care how clunky the sword play is.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

@XBOunity said:

honest question guys, I wanna watch this, im very interested, should I ruin it, or wait for nov 22nd? I have a feeling that this game is gonna be awesome, but have 4 out of 10 scores. the graphics are dumb enough to just have me guak at it in sheer amazement I wont care how clunky the sword play is.

if you bought the game already you should just wait. If you're not sure if you should return it or not..... well... you have to consider what other game can you get with the money to play that may interest you. If there is i would go for that other game, Ryse is just an introduction game to the next gen, not anything better than what you can currently get current gen.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 XBOunity

@Joedgabe: yeah but its a graphical showcase. the animations facial stuff. I think im gonna watch and then ill decide.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@XBOunity said:

@Joedgabe: yeah but its a graphical showcase. the animations facial stuff. I think im gonna watch and then ill decide.

Fanboyism aside I'd recommend watching it yourself and drawing your own conclusion. There's really no spoilers just think of it as an extended demo.

Quite a few of us found the gameplay to be highly repetitive, it's like the batman games for the most part with slowmo execution sequences. countering with your shield seems to be a big part of the game just like how countering attacks was 80% of the gameplay in the arkham games.

It does look good, very pretty game.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#65  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Graphically it's the best-looking launch title between PS4 and XB1.

But the gameplay looks horribly repetitive, with very stiff animations and clunky combat.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 XBOunity

it looks repetitive, its still a good game, I wanna see how that looks on my hdtv. Don't think ill buy at launch, thinking dr3, killer instinct, and Forza, all must buys. If it scores higher than 70 meta id be surprise. I hope im wrong.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 XBOunity

the levels of ryse are what makes its case. I watched the whole video, the end showing the next level shows off very nicely. graphically this is the best of the new gen, sorry killzone, this is better.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#68 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

I don't really get what people see in this game, it just doesn't look interesting.

Halosball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#69  Edited By Halosball
Member since 2013 • 103 Posts

@XBOunity said:

the levels of ryse are what makes its case. I watched the whole video, the end showing the next level shows off very nicely. graphically this is the best of the new gen, sorry killzone, this is better.

There are 3 gignatic reasons why Ryse can never be on Killzone's level graphically

1. Ryse is extremely linear and scripted.

Killzone is much much much much open,

And to boot,

Killzone STILL LOOKS BETTER

WHILE pushing much more gemotry at a much higher density of detail,

WHILE pushing more high poly character models

And while pushing more effects and tech

2. RYSE HAS SHITTY SHITTY animations

Killzone is a FPS and still has better animations

3. Killzone is at 1080p vs 900p on Ryse

Which means Killzone is rendering about 30% more pixels of detail on screen which is a huge difference

When you look at whats on your screen as a whole, there is NO QUESTION ABOUT IT, Killzone DESTROYS Ryse in graphics (and for sure in gameplay too)

All things considered, Ryse looks LAST GENERATION in comparison to Killzone

Ryse only has good character models and good looking pre-rendered cut scenes

Killzone ShadowFall is FAR AND AWAY THE BEST LOOOKING launch game of ANY console, and its NOT EVEN close

In fact Killzone vs Ryse PROVES the PS4 is 50% more powerful then the xbone

Killzone is 1080p while being bigger, more open, and STILL looking better

Xbone exclusive games are going to have to be scripted and linear to the extreme just to "keep half pace" with PS4 exclusive games that are bigger, more open, and still look better!

Even multi plats on xbone have to be 720p vs 1080p on PS4 and that IS HUGE

Ryse isnt even a game, its a QTE button masher, so IF you actually want to PLAY great looking games that are more open and still look better, then buy a PS4 for the PS4 exclusives and for the superior multi plats.

There is NO LOGICAL reason as a gamer to buy an xbone

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

crappy games, best on conosles

tyler735

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 tyler735
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

@halosball: No bias at all in your last post. Then again this is system wars where all rational thoughts go out the window lol

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46673 Posts

@AncientDozer said:

I think your reading comprehension needs work. It isn't an open world game and I never said it was.

I said that GAMES THAT AREN'T open world typically aren't that long. 5-10 hours is the most optimistic range. Gears of War and God of War seem long but aren't. I've played through both and both went quick so don't pretend they're magically 10 hours. I bring up both because I wasn't sure which one you referred to.

And fortunately for us, this game ISN'T 3 hours. Maybe six, but not three.

Oh like that, yeah I did read your sentence wrong then. Sorry, I thought this game had open world aspects I didn't know about :p

@AncientDozer said:

I can't think of very many games that aren't open world, like Elder Scrolls or GTA, that exceed 6-8 hours.

I can, a lot in fact.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

The fighting style is clunky and robotic because thats the roman legionaries fighting style. It was not about 1 on 1 combat it was about cutting through vast numbers of poorly armoured enemies with great use of the shield and stabbing with a short sword. Those expecting the fighting styles seen in Assassins creed and the hand to hand from the batman games WILL be sorely disappointed. Game looks great. Looks fun. Looks exactly how it should look.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 R4gn4r0k

@AncientDozer said:

@R4gn4r0k

:

Let me also point out that I excluded RPGs as well. You can make the case for RTS games, maybe, but if you had any talent you could cruise through the battles relatively easily. Turn based games are out right because you're spending a lot of that time waiting for your turn.

I've played all the call of duties, every halo, the metal gears, the marios, gears of war. . and so on. I mean, if you doddle. . stop and smell the roses. . the games last a little longer but still. 6-8 hours is a good length. 10 is better but.

How do you want me to prove my statement ? I can't list all the games this gen that are longer than 6 hours, because there are A LOT, hundreds of them. I'll give some examples. 6-8 hours is what I find acceptable for an FPS, but there are FPS this gen that were longer. Bioshock 1&2, Crysis 1&2 and Shadow Warrior to give a few examples.

A lot of RTS last way longer than 6 hours too. Starcraft IIs campaign is easily longer than 15 hours, I wouldn't know how you can complete it in 6. Company of Heroes 2s campaign is longer than 15 hours as well.

And no, I don't spent hours on taking in views in game. I did in some breathtaking games like Crysis or Battlefield 4. Games where you just have to stop at times and take in the scope and visuals.

Call of Duties are short games, except for 1&2, but when the focus of the series became MP they shortened the campaign. Halo 1 was a very lenghty game, Halo 2 was very short and very disappointing. Again, this is because the focus was on the MP, not the SP. Call of duty Black Ops Declassified was 1 hour, ONE FREAKING HOUR.

TPS are usually longer too. Max Payne 3 was longer than 15 hours.

I think 10 hours or longer are the norm for most games. Except for FPS, in that case 6 hours has become acceptable.

Cubs360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Cubs360
Member since 2006 • 3771 Posts

I think it looks good. The only thing that bothers me is the spear throwing when up close to enemy. I think it would of been better to impale him.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

Looks good for a XB1 game.

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#80 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

...and that's probably like 1/4 of the game. :P

billing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 billing
Member since 2004 • 642 Posts

its looks..... kinda really good?

am I allowed to say that?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 R4gn4r0k

@AncientDozer said:

@R4gn4r0k:

I didn't ask you to name a thousand of them. A few examples would suffice. Of a game that legitimately took more than 6 hours that was for the most part linear without standing around gawking at cool stuff.

Like i said in my previous reply: Crysis 1&2, Bioshock 1&2, Max Payne 3, Shadow Warrior, ... I'll add Metro 2033 and Last Light :)

All linear games that exceed 6 hours. I'm playing Zombiu and NSMB. U right now, I'm pretty sure those games are longer than 6 hours as well.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#83 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

No dynamic damage on enemies, silky water on the beach and character models, and no footprints in the saturated sand. Boy it's very much so reminiscent of an early-gen game. I'm thinking it'll be lucky to hit 7...