kablay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 kablay
Member since 2005 • 366 Posts
Do you pronounce it "Tie"-dus, or "Tea"-dus? I really want to know because it's bugging me.
shag2sheeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 shag2sheeps
Member since 2004 • 282 Posts
I always assumed that since the game had a whole lot to do with water that it was "Tide-us" but a lot of peopel have their own wee ways of pronouncing it
ffsage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ffsage
Member since 2005 • 2028 Posts
The i makes a long i sound, not a long e sound.
Avatar image for paintball102089
paintball102089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 paintball102089
Member since 2004 • 1694 Posts
According to Kingdom Hearts it's Tee-dus, but I played X way before that and always said Tide-us, plus I think that just sounds alot better.7CloudStrife7
in KH it was Tee-dus but in KH2 it was Tie-dus so i guess it is both
solidleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 solidleader
Member since 2005 • 264 Posts
I kinda pronounce it like Titus (from the Bible) except its Ti-dus instead of Ti-tus.
GMAN32X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GMAN32X
Member since 2004 • 1815 Posts
I remember reading in a mag when FFX first came out that his name was supposed to be pronounced "Tee-Dus," but I always said "Tie-Dus>"
Revan84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Revan84
Member since 2005 • 56 Posts
It's pronounced Tea-dus (Tidus). The way it is spelled makes you think Tie-dus (relayed to the tide of water.) Tea-dus (Tidus) is Okanawin for sun, When coming up with the name Tidus(Tea-dus) for FFX, they had no realization of the western name Tidus(Tie-dus) and it's relation to water. You must realize that much of Final Fantasy X has an Okanawin and other asian islander theme to it. In fact Yuna's name mean moon in Okanawin, Tidus(sun) Yuna(moon). I hope this help clarify why his name is pronounce differently.You must also remember this is a Japanese game.
djp4jdv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 djp4jdv
Member since 2004 • 1575 Posts
"Tie"-dus I would say :D
Master_Odin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Master_Odin
Member since 2005 • 4932 Posts
While I might say "Tie"-dus when I look at the name, I agree with Revan84 about the name.
neohakusho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 neohakusho
Member since 2004 • 246 Posts
agreed with tie-dust. thats how i pronounce it, but i dont think it is the right way xP
coldness6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 coldness6
Member since 2005 • 610 Posts
It's pronounced Tea-dus (Tidus). The way it is spelled makes you think Tie-dus (relayed to the tide of water.) Tea-dus (Tidus) is Okanawin for sun, When coming up with the name Tidus(Tea-dus) for FFX, they had no realization of the western name Tidus(Tie-dus) and it's relation to water. You must realize that much of Final Fantasy X has an Okanawin and other asian islander theme to it. In fact Yuna's name mean moon in Okanawin, Tidus(sun) Yuna(moon). I hope this help clarify why his name is pronounce differently.You must also remember this is a Japanese game.Revan84
what's okanawin? is it another language other than japanese? and I always had thought that yuna was a japanese name!!
Syicrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13 Syicrone
Member since 2005 • 86 Posts
I always said "Tie-dus" but I suppose you can say it however you want, I just cant stand people who argue over minor stuff like that though.
Revan84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Revan84
[QUOTE="Revan84"]It's pronounced Tea-dus (Tidus). The way it is spelled makes you think Tie-dus (relayed to the tide of water.) Tea-dus (Tidus) is Okanawin for sun, When coming up with the name Tidus(Tea-dus) for FFX, they had no realization of the western name Tidus(Tie-dus) and it's relation to water. You must realize that much of Final Fantasy X has an Okanawin and other asian islander theme to it. In fact Yuna's name mean moon in Okanawin, Tidus(sun) Yuna(moon). I hope this help clarify why his name is pronounce differently.You must also remember this is a Japanese game.coldness6
what's okanawin? is it another language other than japanese? and I always had thought that yuna was a japanese name!!

Okanawa is an Island in southern japan. When I say Okanawin, I mean the language that the islanders once spoke ( or still do, I not sure if it is a spoken languge or if it is dead.) I came apon this information when I was researching Tetsuya Nomura for a school project..
if you want to read the article about Tetsuya here is the site
Avatar image for Sir-Dark-Raiden
Sir-Dark-Raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Sir-Dark-Raiden
Member since 2006 • 1040 Posts
very interesting Revan84 , i personaly pronounce it Tea-dus, but like your researching. :D
greatfluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 greatfluffy
Member since 2005 • 2062 Posts
I've always pronouned it Tee-dus, it always sounded right to me. Just my opinion.
worldwarz157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 worldwarz157
Member since 2006 • 620 Posts
T-I-E Dude...lol
CoRiNi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 CoRiNi
Member since 2005 • 791 Posts
According to Kingdom Hearts it's Tee-dus, but I played X way before that and always said Tide-us, plus I think that just sounds alot better.7CloudStrife7
i completly agree.
Avatar image for Ratchet_clank42
Ratchet_clank42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Ratchet_clank42
Member since 2006 • 415 Posts
It's pronounced Tea-dus (Tidus). The way it is spelled makes you think Tie-dus (relayed to the tide of water.) Tea-dus (Tidus) is Okanawin for sun, When coming up with the name Tidus(Tea-dus) for FFX, they had no realization of the western name Tidus(Tie-dus) and it's relation to water. You must realize that much of Final Fantasy X has an Okanawin and other asian islander theme to it. In fact Yuna's name mean moon in Okanawin, Tidus(sun) Yuna(moon). I hope this help clarify why his name is pronounce differently.You must also remember this is a Japanese game.Revan84
Yea but the game in America says Tide-us. And if you really want to get into it, that might not be Tidus in KH
-Pro-Link-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -Pro-Link-
Member since 2006 • 6297 Posts
Do you pronounce it "Tie"-dus, or "Tea"-dus? I really want to know because it's bugging me.kablay

Yeah, if any of those it's "Tie"-dus.  Where the heck did you see "Tea"-dus?  That makes no sense.  "Ti"  Would not sound like "Tea."
blazndragon0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blazndragon0
Member since 2006 • 703 Posts
I kinda pronounce it like Titus (from the Bible) except its Ti-dus instead of Ti-tus.solidleader
lol so do i. saying tie-dus and tea-dus is too hard :P
JAG_ROGUE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JAG_ROGUE
Member since 2005 • 5928 Posts
I like Tide-us but it is Tee-dus
Avatar image for Auron_Caladbolg
Auron_Caladbolg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Auron_Caladbolg
Member since 2006 • 58 Posts
I pronounce it Tie-Dus, but I think it can be pronounced either way.
Revan84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Revan84
[QUOTE="Revan84"]It's pronounced Tea-dus (Tidus). The way it is spelled makes you think Tie-dus (relayed to the tide of water.) Tea-dus (Tidus) is Okanawin for sun, When coming up with the name Tidus(Tea-dus) for FFX, they had no realization of the western name Tidus(Tie-dus) and it's relation to water. You must realize that much of Final Fantasy X has an Okanawin and other asian islander theme to it. In fact Yuna's name mean moon in Okanawin, Tidus(sun) Yuna(moon). I hope this help clarify why his name is pronounce differently.You must also remember this is a Japanese game.Ratchet_clank42
Yea but the game in America says Tide-us. And if you really want to get into it, that might not be Tidus in KH

His name is Tidus(Tea-dus), i in japanese is pronounced E, so Ti would be pronounced Tee (or the word Tea.) It's a japanese game, not american.
cloudrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cloudrules
Member since 2005 • 160 Posts
I agree with revan84, that is how it is suppose to be said in Japanese. But I pronouce I either Tie-dus or tide-us, whats the difference anyway.
neohakusho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 neohakusho
Member since 2004 • 246 Posts
[QUOTE="Ratchet_clank42"][QUOTE="Revan84"]It's pronounced Tea-dus (Tidus). The way it is spelled makes you think Tie-dus (relayed to the tide of water.) Tea-dus (Tidus) is Okanawin for sun, When coming up with the name Tidus(Tea-dus) for FFX, they had no realization of the western name Tidus(Tie-dus) and it's relation to water. You must realize that much of Final Fantasy X has an Okanawin and other asian islander theme to it. In fact Yuna's name mean moon in Okanawin, Tidus(sun) Yuna(moon). I hope this help clarify why his name is pronounce differently.You must also remember this is a Japanese game.Revan84

His name is Tidus(Tea-dus), i in japanese is pronounced E, so Ti would be pronounced Tee (or the word Tea.) It's a japanese game, not american.

Yes, most of what he said is true.. except it came from Okinawa not Okanawa. American people will call it "Tide-us" while the real way is Tea-dus because Tidus is an American word arrived from the Japanese name.
worldwarz157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 worldwarz157
Member since 2006 • 620 Posts
Tee-dus is how you pronounce it correctly.
iLikePotatoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 iLikePotatoes
Member since 2006 • 169 Posts

What if its Tight - Ass

no im just playing

i always pronounced it Tie dus because in the game KH Wakka cant speak perfect english and he calls him Teedus so i thought maybe it is Tidus.....

superdvd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 superdvd
Member since 2005 • 445 Posts
I allways say Tide-us, Tea-dus sounds off (but thats just me). :D
coldness6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 coldness6
Member since 2005 • 610 Posts
I've always pronounced it tee-dus,i don't know,but tide-us seems a bit off for me
andywray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 andywray
Member since 2006 • 378 Posts
There's the right way and there's your own way, I prefer my way. I say Tie-dus but I now acknowledge the fact that it's tea-dus, thanks for teaching me something I didn't know Revan84!
Avatar image for Playstationgeek
Playstationgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Playstationgeek
Member since 2005 • 564 Posts
it's "Tide-us", dont care wat any of u say
andywray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 andywray
it's "Tide-us", dont care wat any of u sayPlaystationgeek
Well, apart from the fact that it ISN'T Tide-us go ahead and think so.
Playstationgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Playstationgeek
k, id like 2 see you say it the other way, and watch every1 laugh their ass off at u
Tuchaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Tuchaka
Member since 2005 • 100 Posts

im with raven,  tea-dus is always how i pronounced it from that start of FFX
MC_RaZaR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MC_RaZaR
Member since 2004 • 5640 Posts
I first said his name as Tide-dus. Then, when I heard his English VA and in KH, how they said Tea-dus. I then forced my self to say his name that way and now I am fine with it. However, in KHII, I think Selphie called him Tide-dus. I can't imagine Yuna calling him Tea-dus. OS basically, I am fine with his name being pronounced both ways. 
gamespotr0cks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gamespotr0cks
Member since 2004 • 394 Posts
[QUOTE="Playstationgeek"]k, id like 2 see you say it the other way, and watch every1 laugh their ass off at uandywray
Did you even read my post? Try looking below yours. I ACTUALLY SAID I pronounce it Tie-Dus but acknowledge the fact I'm wrong. And mispronouncing it would hardly make someone laugh at me, unless they're retarded, do YOU find mispronunciation funny?

not everyone is fluent in English on this websight Playstationgeek. We can't all spell 100% correct all teh time. Where in MC_RaZaR' post did it say anything about mispronunciation being funny? Please explain.
andywray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 andywray
not everyone is fluent in English on this websight Playstationgeek. We can't all spell 100% correct all teh time. Where in MC_RaZaR' post did it say anything about mispronunciation being funny? Please explain.gamespotr0cks
He said "watch every1 laugh their ass off at u" and laughter implies funny.
Rossuron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Rossuron
Member since 2003 • 473 Posts
I say Ty-dus, I can't stand people that say Teeeedus
lightmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lightmonkey
Member since 2005 • 7010 Posts
I always pronounced it as 'Tie-dus', but I guess the correct way is 'Tea-dus', since that's the way the Japanese pronounce it.
Avatar image for Ratchet_clank42
Ratchet_clank42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ratchet_clank42
Member since 2006 • 415 Posts
Who really cares? He sucked as the main character anyways
andywray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 andywray
Who really cares? He sucked as the main character anywaysRatchet_clank42
I second that motion :lol:
ejstrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ejstrup
Member since 2005 • 2192 Posts
It's obviously "tea-dus"
Avatar image for deactivated-6354e904ebeeb
deactivated-6354e904ebeeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 deactivated-6354e904ebeeb
Member since 2004 • 1790 Posts
Im pretty sure and absolutely positive its Tee-Dus. But i don't care i call him Titus cause it sounds cooler
Ardain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ardain
Member since 2005 • 462 Posts
Tee-dus
Playstationgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Playstationgeek
oh yes, it's clearly teedus, despite the fact that it has an "I" in his name, if you were in japan, then yes, feel free to pronounce it teedus, thats right, outside, it's tidus
andywray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 andywray
oh yes, it's clearly teedus, despite the fact that it has an "I" in his name, if you were in japan, then yes, feel free to pronounce it teedus, thats right, outside, it's tidusPlaystationgeek
But the official name IS pronounced "Tee-dus" no matter what way your language reads it. Just like Aeris' name technically should be pronounced "Air-ith" because of the whole Japanese language thing. Besides, it's an opinion thread, I chose the "Tie-dus" way too.
Spurs_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#49 Spurs_Fan
Member since 2005 • 13023 Posts

If you have the bonus disk to FFX then you will find out. By cgoing to the interview with the voice of Tidus.

I never knew it was Tee-dus. I have always said Ty-dus. I still do :?

Liquid_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Liquid_Fox
Member since 2004 • 288 Posts
i just called him tit or tit s