Tough time for PSU...tougher times for the victims

• 116 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts

link

Lots of creepy/terrible details.
But long story short (at this point):
"Former Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky is accused of...sexually abus(ing) eight boys -- preteens and young teenagers -- over a 15-year period."

Penn State apparently knew and pulled the 'pass the buck up' routine.
A grad assistant caught him in the shower with a 10 year old boy and told Joe Pa.
Joe Pa told his bosses but did nothing more and is now saying he feels betrayed 'if true'...seriously...wow :?

Terribly sad story on all fronts. But even more disheartening/sickening considering that those in charge knew and did nothing
Thoughts?

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
I don't really know what else to say other than this whole thing is disgusting. Everyone who knew about this but didn't go to the police should be fired. I'm guessing this will be Paterno's last year and then he retires/resigns.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rawsavon
I'm guessing this will be Paterno's last year and then he retires/resigns. JML897
...what a sad way to end a life's work. His own fault, but it is still sad (he did do a lot of good)
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

A grad assistant caught him in the shower with a 10 year old boy and told Joe Pa.
Joe Pa told his bosses but did nothing more and is now saying he feels betrayed 'if true'...seriously...wow :?

rawsavon

Not true, read it again so you can stop making things up

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]

Jaysonguy

instead of making accusations, please state what part is not true.
also, keep in mind that that is not the only source of information (and no, I am not linking them all)

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#6 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts
Its a big mess for sure. Probably not the way Paterno envisioned how he would end his career, dealing with one of his top assistants going through a bad child sex crime scandal.
hkhatir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hkhatir
Member since 2009 • 590 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]

rawsavon

instead of making accusations, please state what part is not true.
also, keep in mind that that is not the only source of information (and no, I am not linking them all)

We do not know exactly what the graduate assistnat told Joe Paterno, and I will reserve my judgement on him until we do know.

From Joe Paterno's responses on this issue it seems as if he wasn''t told the full story, or an inspecific version of the story.

It should also be noted that JoePa is not in any way involved in the grand jury criminal proceedings, and he did tell his superiors.

Depending on what was told to him though the correct call might have been to go directly to the police, or at least follow up with the administration,

and at the very least distance his program from Sandusky.

Regardless of these facts Sandusky's crimes should be punishable by death.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

hkhatir

Going to prison as a (serial) child molester is probably worse than death.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#9 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

[QUOTE="hkhatir"]

JML897

Going to prison as a (serial) child molester is probably worse than death.

This is true.
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

I pretty much agree with this.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Jason-Whitlock-Penn-State-sex-scandal-Jerry-Sandusky-blame-Joe-Paterno-Nittany-Lions-110711

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jaysonguy

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Jason-Whitlock-Penn-State-sex-scandal-Jerry-Sandusky-blame-Joe-Paterno-Nittany-Lions-110711

QuistisTrepe_

One of the most bigoted writers in America is wrong yet again

Joe Paterno knew something was up and told the people who are in charge of it, that's it.

Paterno isn't some sort of vigilante justice bringer who needed to make it his personal crusade to find out what happened. He knew something was fishy and told people so the authorities could be brought it. Paterno had no idea about the severity of what went on and he shouldn't have, that info was meant for the police, not a *(#$@&*@# football coach.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rawsavon

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

Jaysonguy

One of the most bigoted writers in America is wrong yet again

Joe Paterno knew something was up and told the people who are in charge of it, that's it.

Paterno isn't some sort of vigilante justice bringer who needed to make it his personal crusade to find out what happened. He knew something was fishy and told people so the authorities could be brought it. Paterno had no idea about the severity of what went on and he shouldn't have, that info was meant for the police, not a *(#$@&*@# football coach.

They knew Sandusky had 'issues' with children and STILL he was allowed to bring kids to practice as recently as 2007 by Joe Pa. ...so you can say he fulfilled his legal obligations (the grand jury agrees), but how can anyone say he fulfilled his moral obligation?
Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Los9090
Paterno did what he was supposed to do...report it to the superior and let them handle it. But now that this has snowballed, Paterno's going to have to leave and I'm sure Penn State will want to hire a completely new staff.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

The graduate assistant, Mike McQueary, who at the time was not a kid but a 28 year old grown man, saw Sandusky raping a 10 year old boy. So what does he do? He walks away, and tells his dad later, and the two of them then tell Joe Paterno. Who the hell sees a little boy getting sodomized, and goes "oops, my bad, I'll leave"?

What the **** is wrong with McQueary?!?

Joe Paterno learns of this eyewitness account, tells school administrators, and then calls it good from there. He sees the alleged child rapist show up to practice with more boy toys, and thinks nothing of it?

What the **** is wrong with Paterno?!?

Athletic Director Tim Curley and Senior VP Gary Schultz learn of this eyewitness account, and decide the appropriate course of action is to forbid Sandusky from bringing children to campus. No need to call the cops? Heck, not even a need to distance yourselves from an alleged child rapist? Saying "hey buddy, you're welcome to stay around here, just please leave the kids behind" is all they did? Oh, and of course this was all done with the blessing of University President Graham Spanier.

What the **** is wrong with Curley, Schultz, and Spanier?!?

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rawsavon

Oleg_Huzwog

That might be the biggest 'WTF'
...given that he did not immediately go defend the child

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Oleg_Huzwog

Paterno did what he was supposed to do...Los9090

Bullcrap. He did only the absolute bare minimum, which is NOT what he was supposed to do. As a football coach, when you learn of wrongdoing from within the program, yeah, you report it to the Athletic Director. But as a human being, you do not turn a blind eye when an alleged child rapist is wandering around your facilities and showing up to practice with another kid.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jaysonguy

Joe Paterno learns of this eyewitness account, tells school administrators, and then calls it good from there. He sees the alleged child rapist show up to practice with more boy toys, and thinks nothing of it?

Oleg_Huzwog

No, he doesn't learn of everything that he saw

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Oleg_Huzwog

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

rawsavon

That might be the biggest 'WTF'
...given that he did not immediately go defend the child

If he was an 18 year old kid who got scared and didn't know what to do, I'd understand. But this turd was almost 30 at the time. How? How does this happen?

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Oleg_Huzwog

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

Jaysonguy

Paterno learns that Sandusky appeared to be having sex in the showers with a boy the assistant estimated to be about 10. What else is there to know?

You can read the Grand Jury report yourself: Link WARNING: details in the report get a little graphic. This particular instance falls under 'Victim 2', pages 6 and 7.

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Los9090

[QUOTE="Los9090"]Paterno did what he was supposed to do...Oleg_Huzwog

Bullcrap. He did only the absolute bare minimum, which is NOT what he was supposed to do. As a football coach, when you learn of wrongdoing from within the program, yeah, you report it to the Athletic Director. But as a human being, you do not turn a blind eye when an alleged child rapist is wandering around your facilities and showing up to practice with another kid.

"bare minimum"... are you echoing a report? Yeah, but Paterno still reported it but the administration obviously failed in its attempt of investigating the matter. But what gets me is that Sandusky ADMITTED to inappropriate conduct and nothing was done for a late 1990s incident. Paterno should've fired Sandusky and the police should have acted on the allegation from the 1998 issue. But we can't assume that Paterno knew everything. I feel that Paterno figured that the case would handle itself when he reported the 2002 incident from his grad assistant.

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Los9090

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

Oleg_Huzwog

Paterno learns that Sandusky appeared to be having sex in the showers with a boy the assistant estimated to be about 10. What else is there to know?

You can read the Grand Jury report yourself: Link WARNING: details in the report get a little graphic. This particular instance falls under 'Victim 2', pages 6 and 7.

I read that earlier...Yikes. Sandusky is screwed, especially since there is a pattern with how he lured his victims.
CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

[QUOTE="Los9090"]Paterno did what he was supposed to do...Los9090

"bare minimum"... are you echoing a report? Yeah, but Paterno still reported it but the administration obviously failed in its attempt of investigating the matter. But what gets me is that Sandusky ADMITTED to inappropriate conduct and nothing was done for a late 1990s incident. Paterno should've fired Sandusky and the police should have acted on the allegation from the 1998 issue. But we can't assume that Paterno knew everything. I feel that Paterno figured that the case would handle itself when he reported the 2002 incident from his grad assistant.

He should've asked his superiors how the investigation was going though, especially considering the accusations.

hkhatir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hkhatir
Member since 2009 • 590 Posts

[QUOTE="Los9090"]

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

CJL13

He should've asked his superiors how the investigation was going though, especially considering the accusations.

In hindsight Paterno doing this would've probabaly spared many innocent children from this monster, but it really isn't Paterno's job to do that.

His superiors dropped the ball on this one. I will reserve judgment on Paterno until we find out exactly what the Graduate Assistant told him.

Paterno denies being told the details, and I think we should give JoePa the beenfit of the doubt considering his immaculate track record.

If we find out otherwise, and that he did know the specific details then I dont care what they do to him. Take his wins away, lock him up forever.

But for all we know the graduate assisnatnt could've told Paterno he saw Sandusky and a boy horsing around in the shower innapropriately.

There is a far leap to be made from horsing around, to the allegations that Sandusky is being charged with, but until we have the facts I feel it is

irresponsible to blame Paterno.

CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CJL13

I'm just basing that from what we know so far, we don't know if Paterno knew more or not, but you have to find out if the accusations are true considering their weight.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

This entire situation is a disgrace. How the hell can something like this happen and continue to go on?

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Los9090

[QUOTE="CJL13"]

[QUOTE="Los9090"] "bare minimum"... are you echoing a report? Yeah, but Paterno still reported it but the administration obviously failed in its attempt of investigating the matter. But what gets me is that Sandusky ADMITTED to inappropriate conduct and nothing was done for a late 1990s incident. Paterno should've fired Sandusky and the police should have acted on the allegation from the 1998 issue. But we can't assume that Paterno knew everything. I feel that Paterno figured that the case would handle itself when he reported the 2002 incident from his grad assistant.

hkhatir

In hindsight Paterno doing this would've probabaly spared many innocent children from this monster, but it really isn't Paterno's job to do that.

His superiors dropped the ball on this one. I will reserve judgment on Paterno until we find out exactly what the Graduate Assistant told him.

Paterno denies being told the details, and I think we should give JoePa the beenfit of the doubt considering his immaculate track record.

If we find out otherwise, and that he did know the specific details then I dont care what they do to him. Take his wins away, lock him up forever.

But for all we know the graduate assisnatnt could've told Paterno he saw Sandusky and a boy horsing around in the shower innapropriately.

There is a far leap to be made from horsing around, to the allegations that Sandusky is being charged with, but until we have the facts I feel it is

Exactly...if anything, ire should be drawn toward Sanduski, the Penn St. administration, and the local police for not following through on the allegations. And is it because it is a big time college football town? You know this would have been investigated if a K-12 teacher was accused of a child sex crime.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rawsavon

According to latest AP report, they are letting him (Joe Pa) retire at the end of the season (his contract was up)…seems pretty weak IMO
Link

Also, I wonder if that grad assistant (now a coach) will be on the sidelines

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
Say it ain't so Joe, say it ain't so.
Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Los9090
Say it ain't so Joe, say it ain't so. Master_Live
Its always nice to find humor in the unlikeliest places!
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Master_Live
[QUOTE="Master_Live"]Say it ain't so Joe, say it ain't so. Los9090
Its always nice to find humor in the unlikeliest places!

Ummmm, I wasn't trying to be funny. Disappointment is more like it.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Oleg_Huzwog

According to latest AP report, they are letting him (Joe Pa) retire at the end of the season (his contract was up)…seems pretty weak IMO
Link

rawsavon

I think that's just Paterno's announcement. It's my understanding that the Board of Trustees is still discussing his status. Hopefully, they do the right thing and fire him, rather than allowing him the dignity of leaving on his own terms.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Oleg_Huzwog

hkhatir

Read the Grand Jury report. We know the graduate assistant told Paterno about more than "horsing around".

You're right as far as his superiors dropping the ball... but so did Paterno... and so did McQueary.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Oleg_Huzwog

Exactly...if anything, ire should be drawn toward Sanduski, the Penn St. administration, and the local police for not following through on the allegations. And is it because it is a big time college football town? You know this would have been investigated if a K-12 teacher was accused of a child sex crime. Los9090

The problem with Victim #2 is that the local police never got involved. McQueary never called them. McQueary's dad never called them. Paterno never called them. Curley never called them. Schultz never called them. Spanier never called them.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]

Link

Oleg_Huzwog

I think that's just Paterno's announcement. It's my understanding that the Board of Trustees is still discussing his status. Hopefully, they do the right thing and fire him, rather than allowing him the dignity of leaving on his own terms.

He said in a statement that basically 'now the board doesn't need to spend anytime worrying about his situation...that they can focus on bigger issues' ROFL, in other words: please don't fire me and let me continue to control everything
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Oleg_Huzwog

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]

Link

rawsavon

He said in a statement that basically 'now the board doesn't need to spend anytime worrying about his situation...that they can focus on bigger issues' ROFL, in other words: please don't fire me and let me continue to control everything

Maybe senility is finally setting in? Maybe he's just a scatter-brained old man now? Maybe his refusal to recognize the reality of the situation (example: his lulz attempt of holding a press conference that would focus solely on the Nebraska game)... maybe it's not a refusal, but instead an inability? Thanks to age, his mind simply can't grasp his surroundings at all times? That would absolve him of some guilt.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 rawsavon
TBH, i think the University is afraid of him holding a press conference at this point
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Oleg_Huzwog

TBH, i think the University is afraid of him holding a press conference at this point rawsavon

Of course they are, no question. Especially with the perjury charges looming. The university was acting in self-preservation mode by calling off that press conference.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Master_Live

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]TBH, i think the University is afraid of him holding a press conference at this point Oleg_Huzwog

Of course they are, no question. Especially with the perjury charges looming. The university was acting in self-preservation mode by calling off that press conference.

Yep, Joe Pa didn't technically break any law so I think he was just going to lay it all down but Penn Sate knows that wasn't in their best interest.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]TBH, i think the University is afraid of him holding a press conference at this point Oleg_Huzwog

I did not even mean from a legal standpoint...more from a 'senile old man makes a fool of us all' type of way
CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CJL13

So where does Penn State football go from here? No one is going to want to go there. The Big Ten isn't going to want to be associated with it. Will Penn State suffer a worse fate than what happened with SMU back in the eighties?

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Oleg_Huzwog

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]TBH, i think the University is afraid of him holding a press conference at this point Master_Live

Yep, Joe Pa didn't technically break any law so I think he was just going to lay it all down but Penn Sate knows that wasn't in their best interest.

I think he legitimately managed to fool himself into thinking he could get away with reading a quick statement about the sex abuse, and then conduct a full press conference where the only questions would be football-related. The university knew (as did every person in the world not named JoePa) that the sex abuse is the only topic the press cares about. He would've had to answer those questions totally unprepared, and as rawsavon points out, the senile old man would've made fools of them all.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 rawsavon

Will Penn State suffer a worse fate than what happened with SMU back in the eighties?

CJL13
...errr...in a word 'NO' (for a plethora of reasons)
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Master_Live
[QUOTE="CJL13"]

Will Penn State suffer a worse fate than what happened with SMU back in the eighties?

rawsavon
...errr...in a word 'NO' (for a plethora of reasons)

Agreed, they will suffer and their image will take a hit of course but they will be back.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Oleg_Huzwog

So where does Penn State football go from here? No one is going to want to go there. The Big Ten isn't going to want to be associated with it. Will Penn State suffer a worse fate than what happened with SMU back in the eighties?

CJL13

No. Improper benefits and playing with ineligible players is about all the NCAA would ever penalize someone for. There's not really any precedent for a case like this. The closest I can think of are the sexual assualt allegations at Colorado in the late 90's or whenever it was. The coach was suspended for some comments he made about the accuser, but that's about all that happened.

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JohnBean42
Member since 2008 • 2810 Posts

Earlier today Paterno said he was retiring. Now it sounds like he will not coach again this year. After reading and hearing all the negativity towards him I personally think that it's a good thing that had to be done. Sounds like the president has been replaced too.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7211281/penn-state-nittany-lions-joe-paterno-retire-end-season

Here's the story on him retiring. No link on him leaving for the year, I've only seen it on Twitter.

CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 CJL13

Now he's been fired.

ChikaraShref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ChikaraShref
Member since 2011 • 4721 Posts

Now he's been fired.

CJL13
yep. effective immediately or whatever. he's coached his final game :( sad to see a legend end like this.
CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 CJL13

Students heading towards Beaver Avenue chanting "We want Joe back!"

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#49 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

[QUOTE="CJL13"]

Now he's been fired.

ChikaraShref

yep. effective immediately or whatever. he's coached his final game :( sad to see a legend end like this.

It IS very sad, but this is the correct decision.

ChikaraShref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ChikaraShref
Member since 2011 • 4721 Posts

[QUOTE="ChikaraShref"][QUOTE="CJL13"]

Now he's been fired.

GamerForca

It IS very sad, but this is the correct decision.

i don't know that it is. according to nfl.com, "Paterno notified the athletic director, Tim Curley, and a vice president, Gary Schultz, but did not go to authorities.". he notified those who should have been the ones to bring it to the police. its horrible what took place, but joe pa did nothing wrong. they should have at least let him finish the season, ending the career on his own terms.